BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Hot Takes)

12-20-2019, 07:58 AM   #1
ptper
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 Avus Blue F80

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Hot Takes)

Just saw it last night...looking for everyone's hot take on it. Some parts I thought were somewhat clever, but not sure I liked the ending. Maybe an alternative ending will be on the dvd. Some of the lines and acting were cheesy, but I think the kids will enjoy it. All in all, I think better than the last movie, but nothing compares to TESB, lol.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2019, 09:27 AM   #2
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Consider this the last time I browse this thread until I see it on New Years Eve eve. Hopefully the crowds will be less on that Monday evening.
Appreciate 2
eluded3002.00
      12-20-2019, 12:19 PM   #3
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Consider this the last time I browse this thread until I see it on New Years Eve eve. Hopefully the crowds will be less on that Monday evening.
Did you hear about how that one guy dies?

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 12:37 PM   #4
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

I thought the beginning was rushed... jjabrams showing us what he would have done in the 2nd movie.

Also I feel bad for Kelly Marie Tran... She got tons of hate from the Trolls on TLJ and JJ pretty much cut her out of the whole movie.

Overall I liked it. I am curious on how it would have turned out had we not lost Carrie.
      12-20-2019, 01:23 PM   #5
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Moist!

I have spoken.
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      12-20-2019, 02:17 PM   #6
ptper
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
I thought the beginning was rushed... jjabrams showing us what he would have done in the 2nd movie.

Also I feel bad for Kelly Marie Tran... She got tons of hate from the Trolls on TLJ and JJ pretty much cut her out of the whole movie.

Overall I liked it. I am curious on how it would have turned out had we not lost Carrie.
+1 to all of this, especially Tran. Fan bois are the worst, lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 02:28 PM   #7
ptper
Major
Rep

Some interesting takes....

[SPOILER ALERT ]

[SPOILER ALERT ]

[SPOILER ALERT ]

[SPOILER ALERT ]

[SPOILER ALERT ]

[SPOILER ALERT ]

1. One thousand Death Stars

Late in the movie it’s revealed that this massive fleet of Star Destroyers that Emperor Palpatine pulled out of the ice on Exogol at the beginning of the movie was equipped with Death Star lasers. The reveal is made when one of them blows up a planet for no particular reason. The Resistance folks then briefly huddle up and decide that probably all those ships can do that. That seems like an illogical conclusion to draw, because that would mean the bad guys have an entire fleet of Death Stars, which would be easily the most ludicrous thing that has ever happened in a “Star Wars” movie. But since the issue is never mentioned again we aren’t sure what other conclusion we could come to.

2. The Rebel fleet from nowhere

To challenge all those Death Stars, the Resistance launches an attack on Exogol with only a Corellian Corvette and like one single fighter squadron and one carrier ship full of troops. Fortunately for them, Lando spent a couple hours flying around the galaxy and casually assembling the biggest fleet we’ve ever seen in any of these movies. That’s absolutely crazy. Lando was not even gone that long.

3. The Emperor returns before the movie starts

star wars episode ix the rise of skywalker the emperor's return doesn't make sense

There’s a lot of creative decisions on this movie I can’t even begin to understand, and the most confusing of those is the decision to have Emperor Palpatine make his big return to the galactic stage between movies. How do you bring back a dead character and not even let us see characters reacting to that revelation as it happens? This one actually makes me mad. If you’re gonna cram a whole trilogy of stories in one movie, you still have to start at the beginning.

4. Rey is the Emperor’s granddaughter

The climax of the “Skywalker Saga” was about two Palpatine family members fighting each other. Incredible.

5. Luke and Leia knew about Rey’s lineage the whole time

This is just a confusing bit. When did they learn this important fact? Why had they never done anything with that tidbit of key info? There’s a lot of weird ramifications to their possession of this knowledge, and “The Rise of Skywalker” has no interest in exploring any of them.

6. Leia died for no reason

They decided to kill off Leia in the strangest and low-key way: by calling out through the Force. It took Luke physically projecting himself across the galaxy and doing a lightsaber fight before the effort killed him. How weak are we supposed to think Leia is?

7. The Knights of Ren

Late in the film, Ben Solo/Kylo Ren is forced to fight his former bros the Knights of Ren in order to earn his redemption. It’s a powerful scene, the culmination of a character arc stretching back three films… is what we’d say if the Knights had like, any role before “The Rise of Skywalker.” They’re in this trilogy for less than 5 minutes, none of them speaks or has any personality, and they don’t even use lightsabers. They basically existed only so we’d know the origin of Kylo Ren’s dorky last name, and when we finally saw them up close, it turns out they dress like the corniest nu metal band of 1996. PASS.

8. The Resurrection

So Rey kills Palpatine, and then dies. Kylo Ren climbs out of the hole he fell into, and somehow uses the Force to revive her corpse. They can just resurrect people now! OK!

9. The Kiss

So Rey is alive again, and the first thing she does is make out with Kylo Ren. They haven’t had an ounce of romantic chemistry in these movies, but some “Star Wars” nerds shipped them so I guess they had to do it.

10. The Death

Immediately after this kiss, Ben rolls over and dies, apparently having given all of his life force to Rey to bring her back to life in what was supposed to be the film’s most dramatic and emotionally poignant scene. At that precise moment in our screening, the entire theater burst into hysterical laughter. Whoops.

11. The Force can do literally anything

All wounds are trivial now because Force users can easily heal them. If they’re too late and the person died, they can just bring them back from the dead. Need to ship a package? Just use the Force to teleport it! Wanna have a lightsaber duel with somebody a hundred miles away? The Force has online multiplayer. Rey is just a God now, the most powerful being who ever lived. But Leia died from yelling.

12. Chewie died but actually he didn’t

This whole sequence is strange. Chewie gets captured by the First Order when he’s like 30 yards from the rest of our heroes. Then Rey accidentally blows up the ship they were taking him away on. Except actually Chewie was on a different but identical ship because “The Rise of Skywalker” wanted to pull a stupidly manipulative misdirect.

13. C-3PO got his memory wiped but then got it back

So our heroes need to read something in the Sith language, which it turns out 3PO can read. Unfortunately, his programming forbids him from translating it. (Who did this? Doesn’t matter. It just is.) This forces them to reboot 3PO to override that programming, which will erase his memory and effectively kill him as he’s been known. It sounds sad, and 3PO even gets an emotional farewell out of it. Then the film pulls a movie length JK because not only is it played for laughs from there out, at the end 3PO gets his memories restored thanks to a backup on R2D2’s hard drive.

14. Poe has Han Solo’s backstory now

One of the 57 new planets we visit in “The Rise of Skywalker” is Kijimi, where we meet Poe’s ex-girlfriend, who reveals that Poe was a spice runner before becoming a Resistance fighter. Because for some reason they needed a new Han I guess.

15. General Hux

Speaking of criminally underdeveloped characters, Hux is revealed to be a mole within the First Order, feeding information to the Resistance, uh Rebellion two movies after his Reichstag speech on Starkiller base, because he hates Kylo Ren more than he loves the First Order. And then, literally the next scene after we learn this, he’s unceremoniously killed by his commanding officer who announces “we found the mole.” Hux joins Boba Fett and Captain Phasma in the pantheon of Star Wars bad guys whose deaths are as pointless as, it turns out, the characters themselves were. At least he got more lines than Rose Tico.

16. The Force told those stormtroopers to rebel

Finn meets a woman name Jannah, who was also a former First Order stormtrooper who had been stolen from her parents when she was a kid and then rebelled as an adult. And they have this fun moment where they talk about how they decided to rebel because they had this weird feeling that they should. And they decide that feeling was the Force. Not, you know, their conscience. Or guilt about helping out a fascist government. They’d have happily done state-sponsored murder had the Force not pinged them, I guess.

17. Ghost Luke

So Luke died, and is a ghost. But he can still pick up physical objects with his non-physical hand. And he can use the Force to lift his X-Wing out of the ocean. Sounds like being dead is all upside.

18. Pretending Rose wasn’t a main character

Congratulations racist, sexist harassers: Your complaints were heard.

19. Maz Kanata

They got the amazing Lupita Nyong’o to play maybe the most pointless character in this whole trilogy. The only thing of note she does in this movie is give Chewbacca a medal in an egregiously annoying bit of fan service.

20. Chewbacca gets a medal

I’m not sure how Maz giving Chewie a medal for no reason whatsoever is supposed to make up for his snub in the original “Star Wars” film. This bit feels so shameless.

https://www.thewrap.com/the-20-worst...-skywalker-ix/

Last edited by ptper; 12-20-2019 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 02:34 PM   #8
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
Did you hear about how that one guy dies?
Yup, damn shame what happened to Jar Jar.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 02:44 PM   #9
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptper View Post
Just saw it last night...looking for everyone's hot take on it. Some parts I thought were somewhat clever, but not sure I liked the ending. Maybe an alternative ending will be on the dvd. Some of the lines and acting were cheesy, but I think the kids will enjoy it. All in all, I think better than the last movie, but nothing compares to TESB, lol.
I think, outside the Original Trilogy (IV, V, VI), the only “new” film I enjoyed is Rouge One.
Appreciate 1
Mirko182.00
      12-20-2019, 06:34 PM   #10
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
I think, outside the Original Trilogy (IV, V, VI), the only “new” film I enjoyed is Rouge One.
You forgot the Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure

Actually I really like rogue one
Very good movie, it actually had a story and you had enough time to like the characters, not like 7,8,9 where it was about action and effects and trashing the reputation that took decades to build
      12-20-2019, 06:58 PM   #11
FCBuff
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: '16 M235I XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptper View Post
Some interesting takes....

[SPOILER ALERT ]

[SPOILER ALERT ]

[SPOILER ALERT ]

[SPOILER ALERT ]

[SPOILER ALERT ]

[SPOILER ALERT ]

1. One thousand Death Stars

Late in the movie it’s revealed that this massive fleet of Star Destroyers that Emperor Palpatine pulled out of the ice on Exogol at the beginning of the movie was equipped with Death Star lasers. The reveal is made when one of them blows up a planet for no particular reason. The Resistance folks then briefly huddle up and decide that probably all those ships can do that. That seems like an illogical conclusion to draw, because that would mean the bad guys have an entire fleet of Death Stars, which would be easily the most ludicrous thing that has ever happened in a “Star Wars” movie. But since the issue is never mentioned again we aren’t sure what other conclusion we could come to.

2. The Rebel fleet from nowhere

To challenge all those Death Stars, the Resistance launches an attack on Exogol with only a Corellian Corvette and like one single fighter squadron and one carrier ship full of troops. Fortunately for them, Lando spent a couple hours flying around the galaxy and casually assembling the biggest fleet we’ve ever seen in any of these movies. That’s absolutely crazy. Lando was not even gone that long.

3. The Emperor returns before the movie starts

star wars episode ix the rise of skywalker the emperor's return doesn't make sense

There’s a lot of creative decisions on this movie I can’t even begin to understand, and the most confusing of those is the decision to have Emperor Palpatine make his big return to the galactic stage between movies. How do you bring back a dead character and not even let us see characters reacting to that revelation as it happens? This one actually makes me mad. If you’re gonna cram a whole trilogy of stories in one movie, you still have to start at the beginning.

4. Rey is the Emperor’s granddaughter

The climax of the “Skywalker Saga” was about two Palpatine family members fighting each other. Incredible.

5. Luke and Leia knew about Rey’s lineage the whole time

This is just a confusing bit. When did they learn this important fact? Why had they never done anything with that tidbit of key info? There’s a lot of weird ramifications to their possession of this knowledge, and “The Rise of Skywalker” has no interest in exploring any of them.

6. Leia died for no reason

They decided to kill off Leia in the strangest and low-key way: by calling out through the Force. It took Luke physically projecting himself across the galaxy and doing a lightsaber fight before the effort killed him. How weak are we supposed to think Leia is?

7. The Knights of Ren

Late in the film, Ben Solo/Kylo Ren is forced to fight his former bros the Knights of Ren in order to earn his redemption. It’s a powerful scene, the culmination of a character arc stretching back three films… is what we’d say if the Knights had like, any role before “The Rise of Skywalker.” They’re in this trilogy for less than 5 minutes, none of them speaks or has any personality, and they don’t even use lightsabers. They basically existed only so we’d know the origin of Kylo Ren’s dorky last name, and when we finally saw them up close, it turns out they dress like the corniest nu metal band of 1996. PASS.

8. The Resurrection

So Rey kills Palpatine, and then dies. Kylo Ren climbs out of the hole he fell into, and somehow uses the Force to revive her corpse. They can just resurrect people now! OK!

9. The Kiss

So Rey is alive again, and the first thing she does is make out with Kylo Ren. They haven’t had an ounce of romantic chemistry in these movies, but some “Star Wars” nerds shipped them so I guess they had to do it.

10. The Death

Immediately after this kiss, Ben rolls over and dies, apparently having given all of his life force to Rey to bring her back to life in what was supposed to be the film’s most dramatic and emotionally poignant scene. At that precise moment in our screening, the entire theater burst into hysterical laughter. Whoops.

11. The Force can do literally anything

All wounds are trivial now because Force users can easily heal them. If they’re too late and the person died, they can just bring them back from the dead. Need to ship a package? Just use the Force to teleport it! Wanna have a lightsaber duel with somebody a hundred miles away? The Force has online multiplayer. Rey is just a God now, the most powerful being who ever lived. But Leia died from yelling.

12. Chewie died but actually he didn’t

This whole sequence is strange. Chewie gets captured by the First Order when he’s like 30 yards from the rest of our heroes. Then Rey accidentally blows up the ship they were taking him away on. Except actually Chewie was on a different but identical ship because “The Rise of Skywalker” wanted to pull a stupidly manipulative misdirect.

13. C-3PO got his memory wiped but then got it back

So our heroes need to read something in the Sith language, which it turns out 3PO can read. Unfortunately, his programming forbids him from translating it. (Who did this? Doesn’t matter. It just is.) This forces them to reboot 3PO to override that programming, which will erase his memory and effectively kill him as he’s been known. It sounds sad, and 3PO even gets an emotional farewell out of it. Then the film pulls a movie length JK because not only is it played for laughs from there out, at the end 3PO gets his memories restored thanks to a backup on R2D2’s hard drive.

14. Poe has Han Solo’s backstory now

One of the 57 new planets we visit in “The Rise of Skywalker” is Kijimi, where we meet Poe’s ex-girlfriend, who reveals that Poe was a spice runner before becoming a Resistance fighter. Because for some reason they needed a new Han I guess.

15. General Hux

Speaking of criminally underdeveloped characters, Hux is revealed to be a mole within the First Order, feeding information to the Resistance, uh Rebellion two movies after his Reichstag speech on Starkiller base, because he hates Kylo Ren more than he loves the First Order. And then, literally the next scene after we learn this, he’s unceremoniously killed by his commanding officer who announces “we found the mole.” Hux joins Boba Fett and Captain Phasma in the pantheon of Star Wars bad guys whose deaths are as pointless as, it turns out, the characters themselves were. At least he got more lines than Rose Tico.

16. The Force told those stormtroopers to rebel

Finn meets a woman name Jannah, who was also a former First Order stormtrooper who had been stolen from her parents when she was a kid and then rebelled as an adult. And they have this fun moment where they talk about how they decided to rebel because they had this weird feeling that they should. And they decide that feeling was the Force. Not, you know, their conscience. Or guilt about helping out a fascist government. They’d have happily done state-sponsored murder had the Force not pinged them, I guess.

17. Ghost Luke

So Luke died, and is a ghost. But he can still pick up physical objects with his non-physical hand. And he can use the Force to lift his X-Wing out of the ocean. Sounds like being dead is all upside.

18. Pretending Rose wasn’t a main character

Congratulations racist, sexist harassers: Your complaints were heard.

19. Maz Kanata

They got the amazing Lupita Nyong’o to play maybe the most pointless character in this whole trilogy. The only thing of note she does in this movie is give Chewbacca a medal in an egregiously annoying bit of fan service.

20. Chewbacca gets a medal

I’m not sure how Maz giving Chewie a medal for no reason whatsoever is supposed to make up for his snub in the original “Star Wars” film. This bit feels so shameless.

https://www.thewrap.com/the-20-worst...-skywalker-ix/
Unfortunately I agree with everything you said! I did like Rey (Daisy Ridley).
Thought she pulled off her part well! This movie can be absolutely shredded if you want to, as you just did. I am hopeful that going forward, they branch off and go much deeper into the story with more character development. I enjoyed it despite all the flaws, I guess because I made the decision to...
      12-21-2019, 12:04 AM   #12
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Very interesting read.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 03:55 AM   #13
Blade Protection
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

Haven't seen it yet, but i will this weekend.
      12-21-2019, 06:05 AM   #14
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Were in yesterday and not sure what to say.
Whats bringing me onto the fence were the two kissing women amongst the rebels at the end scene. WTH had JJA thought about this?! This omnipresent gay-and-proud-of-it sux especially at an epic movie series like this!

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 07:16 AM   #15
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Were in yesterday and not sure what to say.
Whats bringing me onto the fence were the two kissing women amongst the rebels at the end scene. WTH had JJA thought about this?! This omnipresent gay-and-proud-of-it sux especially at an epic movie series like this!
It's PG13, you're expected to explain it to your kids however you see fit.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 01:02 PM   #16
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Fell asleep somewhere during the first 15 minutes. I guess that's not atypical.

It was enjoyable, but certainly has lost some of the *magic* of the first few versions. Only thing that stood out in the bar scene was that F A T thing in the back, probably because it was on the panning screen for so long.

Why all the heroes go to "be heroes"??? You aren't going to take down a star cruiser all by your lonesome.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24967.00
MKSixer34173.50
      12-23-2019, 06:16 PM   #17
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Here’s a blast from a long ago galaxy but still relevant today.

And now I’m off to Imploded Star. May the force.......
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 10:44 PM   #18
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Heard this movie sucked ASS. A Mary Sue fest in space.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 04:15 PM   #19
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
Heard this movie sucked ASS. A Mary Sue fest in space.
Just saw it today. I give it an A. Much like TFA it gave a nod to fans from every generation. True the script is written for early teens but that has always been the case.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 07:54 PM   #20
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Watched it last night. My kids enjoyed it and so did I.
I will continue to watch them because I really enjoy the franchise and genre!

Folks will always find shit to bitch about.
Appreciate 2
F30lolz6798.50
F32Fleet3566.00
      12-24-2019, 08:49 PM   #21
flgfish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91, 2015 911 C2

I could complain about a lot of the choices, but I won't. I was entertained & it surpassed my expectations. My expectations were very low after TLJ, though.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3566.00
      12-24-2019, 10:15 PM   #22
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

I liked it ok, though I thought rogue one and solo were better.
I think this is the direction of anything in the future.
Though I think if they started doing films on the Jedi going backwards would be interesting.
Appreciate 0