BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos How can PPF self heal if itís ceramic coated?

03-30-2020, 11:17 PM   #1
AlexFL
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC, Audi RS7 (pre-ord.)

How can PPF self heal if itís ceramic coated?

Some people do ceramic coating on top of their XPEL ppf wrap. Is ppf still capable to self heal, despite the ceramic coating on top? And donít the scratches remain visible on the ceramic coating itself? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 07:37 AM   #2
heavyD^2
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Well there are self-healing ceramic coatings now as well as coatings specifically made to bond with PPF. If you have a coating on top of ppf and the coating gets scratched I doubt the self healing properties of the PPF film would come into play.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL665.50

Today, 01:11 AM   #3
alyonmomoka
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

Hello! I want to play with one of you !! Online in free slots wheres the gold
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:17 AM   #4
Humdizzle
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 ferrari 458

go do some more reading.

Ceramics will resist scratches to a degree. It will help prevent normal washing swirls, but not a key running across your paint. They will not protect you from a rock chip like a PPF will. They usually do not last more than 2-3 years.

PPF is by far the superior protection. But it also costs 3-4k to have it done right. It will still self heal with a ceramic coating on top. The ppf heals by heat.

you can do ceramic on top of ppf with no issues. it will help protect against UV damage with can yellow ppf over time. and make the car easier to clean.

2010 Ferrari 458
2015 SSII F80 6MT
2009 Honda Civic
Previous: E36 M3 | E46 M3 | R35 GTR | FR-S | F30 335i
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:57 AM   #5
AlexFL
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC, Audi RS7 (pre-ord.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
go do some more reading.

Ceramics will resist scratches to a degree. It will help prevent normal washing swirls, but not a key running across your paint. They will not protect you from a rock chip like a PPF will. They usually do not last more than 2-3 years.

PPF is by far the superior protection. But it also costs 3-4k to have it done right. It will still self heal with a ceramic coating on top. The ppf heals by heat.

you can do ceramic on top of ppf with no issues. it will help protect against UV damage with can yellow ppf over time. and make the car easier to clean.
Try to read my question slowly and maybe you will then understand the question. I am NOT asking to compare ceramic coating with PPF. I am merely asking whether putting ceramic coating ON TOP of PPF will essentially delete the self healing properties of PPF. Thank you very much in advance.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:16 AM   #6
JamesNoBrakes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 428i xdrive GC

Marketing BS.