BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Why can’t we locate the sub?

06-22-2023, 10:05 PM   #89
Bingham
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C LBB AA midpipe

Just a different lens…
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
shimmy232350.00
Esteban43745.00
PcarFan932.00
kscarrol8907.50
      06-22-2023, 11:03 PM   #90
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingham_M2C View Post
Just a different lens…
While this may be true... I have found that certain stories just have something more to them that make people interested. It's like that one story with the guy who ended up killing his girlfriend and they were driving around in an RV and everyone was trying to figure out where they were. Crazy fucks kill people everyday... why did this one go so "viral"?

The sub story has mystery are they still alive? What happened to the sub? Where are they? Then you have the secondary plots of the crazy CEO and how shady all that was and these crazy rich guys spending all this money to go down in some makeshift sub.

500 people in a capsized boat... definitely worse than 5 dudes in a tin can... but I'm sorry to say it's not as intriguing of a story. It's like most disasters that happen where lots of people die. It sucks, but there's usually not much else to say or discover to keep people's attention.
Appreciate 2
      06-23-2023, 01:17 AM   #91
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingham_M2C View Post
Just a different lens…
Tragedy and statistics.

-Some Russian guy
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 06:19 AM   #92
fraschusa
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
Trip to the titanic in a sub, no, why, who cares.

Trip to space which no tourist has actually done yet, meh only if it was to a place to do something, explore and walk on the moon, mars, or visit Lunar Park.

All these rich idiots only do these things to brag to their friends.
...this might just not be your cup of tea. I like to experience and see things with my own eyes vs. seeing a video, and (think) I choose wisely what I train for, i.e. I really liked being at Everest base camp and some climbing in the Himalayas in winter because there are few people there during winter but loathe the $$$ tourists (I do not consider them climbers, because many still need climbing lessons before going up) that have little to no experience climbing it. As for the sub...deep sea exploration... seeing the creatures living at that depth, seeing a wreck (Titanic or otherwise) that deep and well preserved, heck, I would forego driving or owning any hypercar to riding in a sub because the sub is way more technologically advanced than a stupid hypercar.....going to space, experiencing zero gravity, seeing the earth and other stars and planets from outer space, I can't even imagine what this must feel like. To each their own, just saying that there are more reasons to do these adventures. That reminds me, darn sailing across an Ocean would also be great fun and at least for me more attainable than a sub or space adventure.
Appreciate 1
///d1820.00
      06-23-2023, 06:19 AM   #93
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Navy claims that the suspected implosion they heard was very brief and could have been something else. It wasn't until wreckage was found that they were able to verify that the noise they heard was an implosion. Fair enough. I suspect that info was passed along but kept under wraps until more evidence was found.
I suspect that the navy is spreading false detection capability information to pretend that we have capabilities that we really don't.

In terms of the sound of that implosion, I would think that it would have been dismissed as a large whale fart or some other natural cause.....
      06-23-2023, 07:26 AM   #94
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I suspect that the navy is spreading false detection capability information to pretend that we have capabilities that we really don't.

In terms of the sound of that implosion, I would think that it would have been dismissed as a large whale fart or some other natural cause.....
100% this. The Navy isn't going to show their hand over 5 people, it's a matter of national security. Their comments are only to insure the public knows they have the capability to hear, nothing more.

The position, time, depth, and duration were triangulated immediately.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615277.00
      06-23-2023, 07:41 AM   #95
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post

"Seismic anomaly"

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
dmatre664.50
vreihen1615277.00
      06-23-2023, 11:02 AM   #96
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Downside of all that high tech is all the false positives, and the potential human error involved in deciding what they are, if they are significant. Same for above ground - the folks watching air defense have taught me some new off-color terms for seagulls and geese.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615277.00
      06-23-2023, 11:08 AM   #97
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
"Seismic anomaly"
Gastrointestinal anomaly from a whale.....
M_Six16963.50
      06-23-2023, 12:09 PM   #98
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

March 27, 2018 - Red flag.

Name:  MTS_March27_2018.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  192.3 KB
vreihen1615277.00
JJ 911SC22418.50
      06-23-2023, 02:51 PM   #99
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Downside of all that high tech is all the false positives, and the potential human error involved in deciding what they are, if they are significant. Same for above ground - the folks watching air defense have taught me some new off-color terms for seagulls and geese.
I once had an officer tell me I couldn't track a bonca boat (basically a dugout canoe with a Chevy V8 attached); he claimed it was just sea return. I was right and he was wrong. Can't say how I know.
Appreciate 3
///MPhatic13862.50
Maynard3848.00
      06-23-2023, 03:53 PM   #100
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by StradaRedlands View Post
Tragedy and statistics.

-Some Russian guy
Thanks, Uncle Joe!
      06-23-2023, 05:33 PM   #101
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

"more people have been to outer space than this depth of the ocean"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60060.50
      06-23-2023, 05:45 PM   #102
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
🤦🏻‍♂️"more people have been to outer space than this depth of the ocean"
Probably a lot easier to design a craft that only needs to maintain 14lbs/sqin inside and has zero pressure outside, than it is to make one to maintain 14lbs/sqin inside with 5500lbs/sqin outside. The hard part about space travel is getting the damn thing up there and back down safely. Plus there is the possibility of long term habitation in space or on the moon. Not so much at any major depth in the ocean.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 04:24 PM   #103
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

The number of lessons that go along with how this unfolded are very abundant.

But I’m curious what you think - was it ego, hubris, greed or pride that ultimately killed these men? Obviously it was a flaw in the carbon fiber design - but the builder of the Titanic itself made very similar claims about the strength of the ship in order to attract the wealthiest patrons of that time.

What is it about the Kobe Bryant’s and the Stockton Rush’s who think they are above regulations and the advice of those with more experience that they end up killing not just themselves but taking others with them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 06:23 PM   #104
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:

But I’m curious what you think - was it ego, hubris, greed or pride that ultimately killed these men? Obviously it was a flaw in the carbon fiber design - but the builder of the Titanic itself made very similar claims about the strength of the ship in order to attract the wealthiest patrons of that time.

What is it about the Kobe Bryant’s and the Stockton Rush’s who think they are above regulations and the advice of those with more experience that they end up killing not just themselves but taking others with them?
What's the comparison with Kobe?
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615277.00
      06-24-2023, 06:50 PM   #105
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:

The comparisons you're making about the Titanic and the Titan are not at all the same. The claims of the Titanic being indestructible are from the builder/designer of the ship. But it wasn't the builder/designer that was at the helm of the ship that made the decision to run full speed into an area known to have ice burgs during a night with no moonlight minimizing the sight distance of the lookout in the crow's nest. It was the Captain of the ship that made that decision. James Cameron even said so in his recent interview about the Titan.

Until further investigation of the debris from the Titan is examined, everything is speculation. The thing everyone needs to understand about carbon fiber is that it's only strong with tensile loading. Carbon fiber doesn't do well with bending moments. Carbon fiber also fails catastrophically. There's no gradual failure. Then you have to take into account load and temperature cycling of the materials and adhesives used. Titan made three successful dives to the Titanic. The fourth one was what did the submersible in.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615277.00
      06-24-2023, 10:52 PM   #106
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
The comparisons you're making about the Titanic and the Titan are not at all the same. The claims of the Titanic being indestructible are from the builder/designer of the ship. But it wasn't the builder/designer that was at the helm of the ship that made the decision to run full speed into an area known to have ice burgs during a night with no moonlight minimizing the sight distance of the lookout in the crow's nest. It was the Captain of the ship that made that decision. James Cameron even said so in his recent interview about the Titan.

Until further investigation of the debris from the Titan is examined, everything is speculation. The thing everyone needs to understand about carbon fiber is that it's only strong with tensile loading. Carbon fiber doesn't do well with bending moments. Carbon fiber also fails catastrophically. There's no gradual failure. Then you have to take into account load and temperature cycling of the materials and adhesives used. Titan made three successful dives to the Titanic. The fourth one was what did the submersible in.
It also didn't help that they left port with a known fire in one of the coal bins.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 01:34 AM   #107
AlpineBoost
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 Civic Type R

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 03:41 AM   #108
Artemis
Rep

Daily Mail summary:

06-25-2023, 05:40 AM   #109
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:

The out of control fire around the boilers with the coal mound in Titanic before it made it's doomed maiden sail to New York and was possibly still burning when it did sail severely weakened the iron plates of the hull making the hull on the starboard side more vulnerable to an iceberg hit.
That and a completely unsuitable Captain, that an idiot chose, who had no idea what an iceberg alert was and the reduced speed that the ship had to slow from the maximum to proceed with such an alert.
The same thinking could be said of Rush's haste to do that final Titan dive.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2023, 06:45 AM   #110
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
That and a completely unsuitable Captain, that an idiot chose, who had no idea what an iceberg alert was and the reduced speed that the ship had to slow from the maximum to proceed with such an alert.
Even with sufficient safety protocols and measures in place, it's all to no avail if someone capable of overruling those screws up.

Name:  Data_Security.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  209.2 KB
kscarrol8907.50
vreihen1615277.00
M_Six16963.50
Lady Jane70858.50