03-19-2024, 12:57 PM   #1
jllyons10
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 G29

Garage List
Replacing Battery

I did a search, but did not see much on this topic. My battery has an 11/2019 date. So, it is about 4.5 years old. Should I wait till it dies or be more proactive and replace soon? I have seen some comment that they have gotten 7+ years from their original battery, although some get less based on all the factors that impact battery life.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2024, 01:09 PM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

If you're in doubt, it can be load tested. My 135i battery* went for about 11 years and I replaced it only because I felt like it must finally be time, even though it still seemed to be working like new. 4.5 years won't typically be an issue, it could be of course, but if so it would be on the early end of fail times.

* Assuming you're talking about the trunk mounted AGM main battery for starting the car and such. If so they are all basically the same, if you're wondering why I'm bringing up a 135i (what I have owned for 13 years and will be replacing if I manage to get a Z4 allocation someday).
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2024, 01:19 PM   #3
jllyons10
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
If you're in doubt, it can be load tested. My 135i battery* went for about 11 years and I replaced it only because I felt like it must finally be time, even though it still seemed to be working like new. 4.5 years won't typically be an issue, it could be of course, but if so it would be on the early end of fail times.

* Assuming you're talking about the trunk mounted AGM main battery for starting the car and such. If so they are all basically the same, if you're wondering why I'm bringing up a 135i (what I have owned for 13 years and will be replacing if I manage to get a Z4 allocation someday).
I did have it recently load tested and it checked out. Sounds like I should wait until it shows some sign of failure. Thanks for the response.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2024, 01:32 PM   #4
Balr14
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

My observation is that most recent BMW models give you adequate warning that battery is going bad by generating unusual codes that don't seem to have any basis, or unusual messages showing up on the display.

If you have a volt meter or multi-meter, check the battery about an hour after charging. If it reads mid 11 volts, it's time for a new one. Typically, a bad battery will take a charge but can't hold it. Modern battery chargers and tenders can also show battery health.
Appreciate 4
      03-21-2024, 07:47 PM   #5
jllyons10
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Discovered another way to evaluate battery health. You can download a CarData report on your car that shows a number of details including battery health. You can request the report in MyBMW app under Mygarage.

My battery tested out at a 200 (adequate health status).
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
GerryC1613.00
StanDiego6248.50
M6BEL102.00
BmwIowa48.00
      03-22-2024, 12:35 AM   #6
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jllyons10 View Post
Discovered another way to evaluate battery health. You can download a CarData report on your car that shows a number of details including battery health. You can request the report in MyBMW app under Mygarage.

My battery tested out at a 200 (adequate health status).
Thanks. For clarification, the method you show is via the MyGarage website https://mygarage.bmwusa.com/car-data.html, not the MyBMW app.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 07:26 AM   #7
Wynnsiensheng
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDiego View Post
Thanks. For clarification, the method you show is via the MyGarage website https://mygarage.bmwusa.com/car-data.html, not the MyBMW app.
Hmm, that’s interesting. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to be an option when I go to mygarage on my bmw app. I suppose it must be country specific.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 08:52 AM   #8
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Maybe I am old school but I follow “if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it” philosophy. 😂
Appreciate 1
Amadeo391.50
      03-22-2024, 09:45 AM   #9
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40I

Not working for me either
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 04:04 PM   #10
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisanoblueZ4 View Post
Not working for me either
The link doesn't get you there. First, the embedded link has a comma at the end that generates a 404 error. If you delete the comma, it will take you to the login page, but not to the car data. I'm guessing you have to go to your car profile first.

Login. Go to your Vehicle Profile page. At the top is a ribbon that shows < Z4 M40i Vehicle Profile ConnectedDrive Store CarData

Click on the CarData. You then have to click on Request BMW CarData Report. That generates a popup on privacy that you have to accept. Once you do that, you get a new CarData page with a button to Request BMW CarData Report. When you click on that, it starts the process and you get a popup that it can take 24 hours or longer to generate. After that the page show the button grayed out and the process status of your request below that. Mine is 'Report is being Created.'
      03-22-2024, 05:40 PM   #11
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryC View Post
The link doesn't get you there. First, the embedded link has a comma at the end that generates a 404 error. If you delete the comma, it will take you to the login page, but not to the car data. I'm guessing you have to go to your car profile first.

Login. Go to your Vehicle Profile page. At the top is a ribbon that shows < Z4 M40i Vehicle Profile ConnectedDrive Store CarData

Click on the CarData. You then have to click on Request BMW CarData Report. That generates a popup on privacy that you have to accept. Once you do that, you get a new CarData page with a button to Request BMW CarData Report. When you click on that, it starts the process and you get a popup that it can take 24 hours or longer to generate. After that the page show the button grayed out and the process status of your request below that. Mine is 'Report is being Created.'
Interesting. It works for me if I click on it, even with the comma. Perhaps it is using data in a cookie from when I last visited, or perhaps because I was stilled logged into the site, not sure. Anyway, glad you found it.

Last edited by StanDiego; 03-22-2024 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 10:28 PM   #12
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDiego View Post
Interesting. It works for me if I click on it, even with the comma. Perhaps it is using data in a cookie from when I last visited, or perhaps because I was stilled logged into the site, not sure. Anyway, glad you found it.
I'd say either a cookie or your cache.

But I finally got the email that my report was ready. It included a link that was the same as you quoted but had ?VIN= & a long hash for the VIN.

What I found interesting in the report is that except for the battery info almost everything else is what shows up in the MyBMW app. There's just much more detail. Location isn't the address, it's Lat/Lon to 15 decimal places. And the data is time stamped when it was uploaded from the car. Nothing earth shattering but nice to know.
      03-23-2024, 08:01 AM   #13
PSQ777
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

My battery lasted 4 years. However I suspect its relatively early demise was helped by an after-market immobiliser stopping the electrical system from shutting down correctly.

When the battery is about to die you will definitely know about it. You will see messages saying low charge and recommending you take an extended drive. Then you will notice things like the ambient and interior lights not coming on when you unlock the car. The car shuts down everything unnecessary to give it a chance of starting.
Appreciate 1
BMWGirlFL6287.50