BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos How a Porsche flew into 2nd floor of a building, killing two

11-12-2019, 11:01 PM   #67
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
I'm actually surprised no one has done a back of the envelope calc to figure out roughly what speed they might have been going.
Between 100 and 120 mph in my opinion. Fast enough but not too fast.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 11:19 PM   #68
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
I'm actually surprised no one has done a back of the envelope calc to figure out roughly what speed they might have been going.
88mph
      11-13-2019, 05:38 PM   #69
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
88mph
There would have only been flaming tire tracks if that were the case
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      11-13-2019, 07:01 PM   #70
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Stuck the landing!
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2019, 10:29 AM   #71
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep
Drives: STO /765LTS/ Macan

Also, I take issue with this thread title. It should read:

"How two morons flew into 2nd floor of a building, killing porsche"

The current title implies the porsche somehow caused this. Probably not the case...

Without jumping to major conclusions, and loss of life is always regrettable, sounds like these two were out partying till the wee hours of the morning and drove home at 6am...you need a substantial amount of speed to cause what we see here.

Again, it's tragic, but let it serve as a cautionary tale.
      11-14-2019, 10:55 AM   #72
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacht3 View Post

The current title implies the porsche somehow caused this. Probably not the case...
No, it does not imply that the Porsche caused it. The sentence structure makes it clear that the "morons flew..." and killed the Porsche as a result. The Porsche was the victim, not the cause.
Appreciate 1
Flacht31135.00
      11-14-2019, 11:00 AM   #73
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacht3 View Post

Without jumping to major conclusions, and loss of life is always regrettable, sounds like these two were out partying till the wee hours of the morning and drove home at 6am...you need a substantial amount of speed to cause what we see here.

Again, it's tragic, but let it serve as a cautionary tale.
Yeah, I'd say these two jumped, if you'll forgive the expression, onto the Darwin Awards candidate list.
      11-14-2019, 11:52 AM   #74
flgfish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91, 2015 911 C2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
The embankment opposite the parking lot from the building is what gave them lift. There is another thread on here with a link that shows photos. Two officers are standing in the dirt that made them airborne.
I assume you mean this photo...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
overcoil3068.50
      11-14-2019, 11:59 AM   #75
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgfish View Post
I assume you mean this photo...
Correct sir. I imagine they are either mentally plotting trajectory or they are demonstrating what white boys do, when hitting it from the back.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 02:23 PM   #76
fastboatster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
This has been an issue for a long time with sport bikes. You have what amounts to a race bike that the manufacturers slap on head lights, turn signals, and a tag hanger to make it street legal. Overseas, many jurisdictions require a graduated licensing system before you can legally purchase a big sports bike. Other places have either mandatory or gentleman's agreements from the manufacturer to significantly neuter the top end speed of superbikes.
But we are talking about sport cars here. It’s true that in some places there’s a tiered licensing system, but often if you are above a certain age (def younger than 25), you can pass the test for a full license.
Gentlemen’s agreements are a thing of the past, and it only limited the top speed for Japanese superbikes at slow 186mph. Doubt it helps that much.
Another thing is that motorcycle don’t tend to mask your lack of skill, many will actually highlight it. You tend to run out of skill at much lower speeds than in a car, and for many people it’s where they quit riding or start to develop some common sense.
Anyways, tiered system will only help if there’s better training. In any event, this is a different problem we are discussing here, young sport bike squids are very different breed from the young jocks driving Porsche’s.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 04:08 PM   #77
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboatster View Post
But we are talking about sport cars here. It’s true that in some places there’s a tiered licensing system, but often if you are above a certain age (def younger than 25), you can pass the test for a full license.
Gentlemen’s agreements are a thing of the past, and it only limited the top speed for Japanese superbikes at slow 186mph. Doubt it helps that much.
Another thing is that motorcycle don’t tend to mask your lack of skill, many will actually highlight it. You tend to run out of skill at much lower speeds than in a car, and for many people it’s where they quit riding or start to develop some common sense.
Anyways, tiered system will only help if there’s better training. In any event, this is a different problem we are discussing here, young sport bike squids are very different breed from the young jocks driving Porsche’s.
I only bring this up because of the statements of any fool that can buy a high horsepower car. It's mind boggling the amount of horsepower cars are putting out stock. But much of this has been over the past few years.

The sport bike discussion I brought up has been going on for much much longer than the problem with the current high horsepower cars. Many don't know about this issue with sport bikes. This just highlights that the licensing system in the US is a total joke. Places where there are graduated licensing for motorcycle endorsements also have more stringent licensing requirements for one to operate a 4 wheeled cage. Just something to think about.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #78
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

I almost died in the m when I gave it too much gas around a gentle highway bend in wet conditions. Car spun and faced the highway. God saved me. I simply just do not fuck around at all anymore. These cars are no joke in any fashion. 415bhp and 406 at 2.5 is a recipe to murder yourself. I spun the g35 a few times which humbled me and showed th at I have very little car control with the wheels loose.

It's the low end torque that will make most cars extremely unstable when flooring it. I always mash brake or severely over correct of fishtails which is the complete opposite. I just panic. Which is how 99% of these accidents occur. My g35 was a fast "affordable" car when 17. Now 300hp/tq is everywhere and the instagram HOON culture further drives stupidity. A lot of people like to toot their horn about their driving skills, but let's be real here.

still just a damn shame. I could have died on that highway so RIP to the kids and prayers to their families
Appreciate 0