BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board GHOST IN THE SHELL (Live Action Finally!!!)

09-22-2016, 04:15 PM   #1
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Exclamation GHOST IN THE SHELL (Live Action Finally!!!)

I am a huge fan of Japanese Anime. And if you don't know what that is... You are missing out on among the most entertaining animation and story lines ever put on film and television!

Ghost in The Shell ranks among the TOP 5 Greatest Anime ever produced! And for very good reason: It is a high-octane, deep intriguing plot and story, amazing action and visuals and intriguing characters all wrapped in a marvelous Sci-Fi animated movie. Which then spawned several series.
Paramount has finally made a Live-Action movie starring Scarlett Johansson among others. I highly recommend you watch the anime (now dubbed in English) first.

This easily ranks among my "most highly anticipated movies ever!" Hope it doesn't disappoint. Based on these strings of teaser trailers... I won't be.

Trailer for the original Manga:

09-22-2016, 04:26 PM   #2
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Honestly... I always believed one of my favorite film franchises of all time borrowed heavily from this Anime/Manga. You've probably heard of it.... THE MATRIX
      09-22-2016, 04:28 PM   #3
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I watch a lot of anime. I translated and subtitled quite a few series back when I was in college...

There's a lot of protests and controversy about the movie. Casting Scarlett Johansson as Motoko Kusanagi has a lot of people in an uproar over Hollywood white washing. It is a Japanese character. They are casting a white person in the role and trying to make Scarlett more "Asian" using make up and special effects.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/9/116...tion-hollywood
      09-22-2016, 04:40 PM   #4
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I watch a lot of anime. I translated and subtitled quite a few series back when I was in college...

There's a lot of protests and controversy about the movie. Casting Scarlett Johansson as Motoko Kusanagi has a lot of people in an uproar over Hollywood white washing. It is a Japanese character. They are casting a white person in the role and trying to make Scarlett more "Asian" using make up and special effects.

I can agree with this. I like Scarlett alot as a actor. But I do agree this film deserves a capable and beautiful Japanese actress. But I understand how Hollywood operates: Gods of Egypt, Noah, Exodus were all white-washed. There are very capable actors of color out there. Some are even lesser known. That is why I love the direction Disney has taken STAR WARS.

Haruka Ayase comes to mind...

09-22-2016, 04:53 PM   #5
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

I don't care much for the casting but I really hope they don't butcher the movie like what they did with Attack of Titan, or Dragon Ball, or Avatar the Last Air Bender, or Initial D, or Black Butler, or Bakumon.

I didn't think there were any anime fans around in OT.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 05:05 PM   #6
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
I can agree with this. I like Scarlett alot as a actor. But I do agree this film deserves a capable and beautiful Japanese actress. But I understand how Hollywood operates: Gods of Egypt, Noah, Exodus were all white-washed. There are very capable actors of color out there. Some are even lesser known. That is why I love the direction Disney has taken STAR WARS.

Haruka Ayase comes to mind...

I think if they make a "American" version of the story and set it elsewhere, it might be ok... that's what they did for "The Ring" and "The Departed". Both of which are American remakes of Asian movies but set in America so it sets itself apart from the original.

Still Hollywood always scripts Asian leading roles with white people. I guess it makes sense if they want to sell it to an American audience. But I think people are smart enough to know people of other races don't look like white people... they should stop casting them as white people.

Lol, "Gods of Egypt" that is just a terrible clusterf*ck of a movie. Then coming up, there's "The Great Wall" with Matt Damon fighting monsters in China... because the white guy must save China from evil. wtf?
      09-22-2016, 05:08 PM   #7
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
I think if they make a "American" version of the story and set it elsewhere, it might be ok... that's what they did for "The Ring" and "The Departed". Both of which are American remakes of Asian movies but set in America so it sets itself apart from the original.

Still Hollywood always scripts Asian leading roles with white people. I guess it makes sense if they want to sell it to an American audience. But I think people are smart enough to know people of other races don't look like white people... they should stop casting them as white people.

Lol, "Gods of Egypt" that is just a terrible clusterf*ck of a movie. Then coming up, there's "The Great Wall" with Matt Damon fighting monsters in China... because the white guy must save China from evil. wtf?
Agreed.
      09-22-2016, 05:10 PM   #8
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck fat View Post
I don't care much for the casting but I really hope they don't butcher the movie like what they did with Attack of Titan, or Dragon Ball, or Avatar the Last Air Bender, or Initial D, or Black Butler, or Bakumon.

I didn't think there were any anime fans around in OT.
Initial D wasn't too bad.
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2016, 05:15 PM   #9
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatish View Post
I think my opinion is a little skewed because I HATE Jay Chou.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 05:21 PM   #10
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Agreed.
I hope they do a good job with the movie... that'd pave the way for more adaptions of anime and other things. Hopefully better casting later on.

These teasers aren't the greatest though.
      09-22-2016, 05:27 PM   #11
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It was way different than the original... that is what ruined it for me. Characters were different. Bunta changes from mentor to drunk abusive parent. Itsuki from loyal side kick to rich spoiled kid and other changes. They effectively Chinese-ified the whole thing for a Chinese audience.
      09-22-2016, 05:36 PM   #12
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatish
Banned for wanting the Initial D

Sorry, wrong thread.
      09-22-2016, 05:43 PM   #13
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Have you guys watched the new BESERK series? Not quite as good as the original. But damn entertaining.
      09-22-2016, 07:04 PM   #14
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

Quote:

Didn't read all of it, but the article makes a lot of good points. It's not cut and dry which race the major should be.

Ideally she is half-Japanese and half-white (there are a lot of hapas out there to choose from) and younger. She should look like someone who was manufactured, almost perfect - more like ex-machina actually. SJ is beautiful no doubt, but I think not the right look nor race. I think batou can and should be a white man - someone famous to help sell the movie.

Casting aside, this is hallowed ground anime-wise. I,too, hope they get it right.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 07:04 PM   #15
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K
Quote:
It was way different than the original... that is what ruined it for me. Characters were different. Bunta changes from mentor to drunk abusive parent. Itsuki from loyal side kick to rich spoiled kid and other changes. They effectively Chinese-ified the whole thing for a Chinese audience.
I agree that it wasn't anything like the Manga. But, it was still entertaining.
I4 M50 (coming soon)
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 09:04 PM   #16
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep

Quote:
I agree that it wasn't anything like the Manga. But, it was still entertaining.
True that. But Jay Chou. Ugh!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 11:12 PM   #17
#Tee
Major General
Rep
Drives: yes

looks like another movie reason to display her boobs

You can follow my builds on IG: Tee212
Appreciate 1
BSM n54iS2684.50
      11-13-2016, 10:59 PM   #18
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

*bump*
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 06:25 AM   #19
RunFlatOut
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 330d coupe

I'm in the 'not sure that's good news' camp. Loved the original Ghosts, been a fan of full-length anime for years (Wings of Honneamise anyone? Venus Wars?). But that picture of Scarlett with way too much lip...I see no need, none. If there wasn't a long history of butchering originals, then maybe. I know it sounds so tempting, but I'll bet you a parking ticket that you'll be disappointed. Aren't we always?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 09:24 AM   #20
DJKapeesh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i, 13' 911 C2S, 10' X5D

Quote:

Normally I'm against the white wash, and I have been waiting for this film since they announced it some 3+ years ago.

I am only OK with the Scarlette because lets face it, they are prosthetic bodies so...

Like if Dragon Ball Z has 2 aliens as the main characters so technically they could be white too...

Not actually about a particular people but the evolution and integration of technology
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 10:12 AM   #21
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up Full Trailer!

@ 2:26 FTW

11-14-2016, 12:54 PM   #22
Banana Hammock
Beefcake