BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Road Pretreatment: Liquid Magnesium Chloride SUCKS

02-01-2017, 01:24 PM   #23
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I've heard that some of the newer compounds are less corrosive than plain salt too. Don't know what they use, but it used to be that in Maine and Mass. the cars showed a lot less rust than here in NYS, and I was always told this was why - no real data for that, but it made sense (and the difference was dramatic - people would drive over to Mass to buy used cars for it). Now that most everything has zinc undercoating, it is less critical - It has been a long time since I saw the kind of cancered out holes that we used to get after only a few years (there was a time when 5-year rust through warranty's actually meant something)
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 01:41 PM   #24
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz24 View Post
All i've heard from everyone is "yes it works". Is there any concrete research to back this up? It just feels like they will put the treatment down 3 days prior to a snowstorm, at which point, most of the product has been worn off the road

I understand public safety, but i'm also for doing things efficiently, this doesnt seem to be efficient. Thats all
Yes, it works. No concrete research but can maybe find some asphalt research. I'll take personal experience over research any day of the week.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 01:44 PM   #25
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Also you must not have searched very hard. There are papers linked as well as a lot of information on this site (you know the people that put it down)...

http://www.iowadot.gov/maintenance/materials.html
PDF form (a little more info) http://www.iowadot.gov/maintenance/pdf/brine.pdf

edit: It even tells you how to cook your own!
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 02:38 PM   #26
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I've heard that some of the newer compounds are less corrosive than plain salt too. Don't know what they use, but it used to be that in Maine and Mass. the cars showed a lot less rust than here in NYS, and I was always told this was why - no real data for that, but it made sense (and the difference was dramatic - people would drive over to Mass to buy used cars for it). Now that most everything has zinc undercoating, it is less critical - It has been a long time since I saw the kind of cancered out holes that we used to get after only a few years (there was a time when 5-year rust through warranty's actually meant something)
city of toronto uses a beet juice mixture. But its still mixed with salt.
The beet juice is enviro friendly and it works at lower temps vs a salt/brine mixture. I think they only use it when they expect very cold temps.
Also, unlike rock salt, these brine mixtures can last for days on the road before a snow fall and still be effective (provided it didnt rain).
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 03:16 PM   #27
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Spraying beet juice to beat snow and ice on roads

What about these videos...

Appreciate 1
Naz241627.50
      02-01-2017, 04:57 PM   #28
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

The only reason to pre-treat is to help keep the snow from freezing to the road surface before the plow and salt trucks get around once the snow starts falling. However, if snow is falling fast it does not help. Around me the pre-treat usually keeps the roads wet longer and if traffic is on it then it will stay wet as well.

My Dad ran a plow truck for 20 yrs. and this was before they just dump salt all over the roads. The only place we would put salt down was on hills and intersection everywhere else he just plowed the snow unless it was freezing rain which there is not much you can do with that stuff.

Because people are idiot and do not know how to drive in the snow, they have to salt everything otherwise people sue everyone.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 05:56 PM   #29
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Interesting. Is there a certain optimal time to use the brine? Like can it be days before, or should it be within 24 hours?
We do it right before the storm so we're sure it's going to happen. If I had an option I would do it a day or so before so it could be ground in to the road surface. (using halite) Brine can be done many days before due to how its applied.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 05:58 PM   #30
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
The only reason to pre-treat is to help keep the snow from freezing to the road surface before the plow and salt trucks get around once the snow starts falling. However, if snow is falling fast it does not help. Around me the pre-treat usually keeps the roads wet longer and if traffic is on it then it will stay wet as well.

My Dad ran a plow truck for 20 yrs. and this was before they just dump salt all over the roads. The only place we would put salt down was on hills and intersection everywhere else he just plowed the snow unless it was freezing rain which there is not much you can do with that stuff.

Because people are idiot and do not know how to drive in the snow, they have to salt everything otherwise people sue everyone.

+1 on this!
Appreciate 1
Naz241627.50
      04-04-2017, 11:36 AM   #31
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Anyone in the Northeast or a cold climate knows what i'm talking about. Those lines of salt looking stuff on the roads. Does it even work, or is it a way for truck drivers to make more money?. I feel like any pre treatment (salt, MG Chloride, etc) doesnt do crap besides get all over my car.
You should....

Relax, There are bigger problems in the world.

This seems like the end of the world for you

This shit happens when you live in crappy areas. Move....or move on and enjoy the 425 horsepower
Appreciate 0