BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Washing machines

11-05-2021, 01:21 PM   #45
Glen e
Retired from BMWNA
Rep
Drives: ‘21 X2 m35i

just bought a dark satin LG top loader, love it, quiet, wifi, lotsa modes…..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 01:26 PM   #46
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
just bought a dark satin LG top loader, love it, quiet, wifi, lotsa modes…..
Never thought I would be, but I dig the monthly service usage email. I get notifications when to perform a tub clean and whatnot. I've been very pleased with it. The steam function on the dryer is business as well. It did feel very awkward hooking up a water line to my dryer though.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 01:31 PM   #47
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Recently had a '21 Altima for a rental. HATED every second of driving that thing due to constant beeping and steering wheel vibration notifications. When it hard braked on me automatically, trying to back into a parking place, I wanted to drive it off a cliff. My 3.5 V6 felt like I was breaking land speed records after driving that Altima. I have a theory that people that can actually drive, don't need all the notifications. Also, Altima is the response to current day America. Seat lays back to the back seat, door is extremely large, and the car is constantly beeping at you. Yep, Nissans answer to Americans being fat, dumb and lazy.
My car has all that crap available but I disable all of it. I don't want any system to override me and swerve me back into the center of the lane, etc. I don't want beeping and/or vibration of the steering wheel either. I have never needed these electronic grannies in my 37 years of driving and don't need them now. Kudos to BMW for allowing us to at least disable all these functions. Maybe not allowed to disable such functions with the Altima?

Now what I DO love about my car is having blind spot monitoring and a bunch of cool features with the HUD including indication of speed cameras. 3D cameras all around the vehicle is really handy too when parking in tight spots. It can automatically park but I never use that function. It's a bit nerve-wracking really.

Back to the main topic, I occasionally check out the latest washers and dryers if I'm at a place like Lowe's/HD just to get ideas but I don't see myself spending thousands of dollars on computers that wash clothes.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      11-05-2021, 02:13 PM   #48
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
idk about in the land of hockey pucks and maple syrup, but here in the land of fast food and hurt feelings water can get pretty expensive for some towns/cities. Rural areas with wells it's not an issue, but city water it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Non-'middle of nowhere' suburbanite here. Most of my 'village' is on well and septic but a third of us are on public (well ...perhaps private) water and sewer. Unfortunately, the local gov gave up control over these utilities several years before we moved here. It currently costs us north of $100 just for a monthly service fee. Sewer rate is based on every gallon of water used. Water the lawn? Too bad, you're charged for sewage on every water droplet used even though not a single drop hits their sanitation system. Needless to say, our monthly bill can be quite expensive in the summer.
Please excuse my lack of empathy. I've only been exposed to water bills of a few bucks per mth so I guess I'm sheltered haha...how bad can it get for you and others?
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 10:42 PM   #49
Bunnny
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 & 2002 330ci e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
WIFE: ok so the washer and dryer, what are we getting
ME: Top load
W: that's old fashioned and boring i want something nice
ME: front loads are less reliable and are harder to use every day
W: Why?
ME: water sits in the sill and needs to be wiped down PEOPERLY after every use, door also must be kept open
W: that sounds ok, how hard can that be?
ME: Really? You haven't emptied the vac and it has been full for weeks and you just keep grinding it, matter of time before it shits itself, if you don't wipe down a front load there will be heavy mold
W: you're just saying this because top load is cheaper
ME: *******sigh********* shows a million google hits on mouldy front loads
W: i'll clean it every time
ME: (full seinfeld mode when Kramer said he was going to do levels in his apartment) ... I think you can but I KNOW you won't.
W: we're getting a front load
ME: Ok but I ain't cleaning the mold, that's your problem

2021:
ME: All my clothes smell like wet dog
W: Yeah I noticed that
ME: You been wiping down that washer like I suggest you do every week and you ark at me for repeating myself?
W: No
ME: ***********sigh**********

Inside of the door and the bottom of the sill is absolutely CAKED in thick, black, goopy mold, entire rubber ring needs to be replaced, machine out of action.

WIFE: Can you call someone to................
ME: No fucking way, you sort it out.

I can do the EXACT same storyline when she ordered window covers with a motor and remote instead of a simple cord. I said they'd break, and they did.
When I first moved in with my husband he had these stacked front loading pieces of (Whirlpool) Turdpool shit. They do not use clean water to rinse with (HE garbage), and there is mold all through the rubber inside gasket. I have sensitive skin I found out using these.
I finally found a set exactly like my parent's old Maytag ones that are literally 40 years old, and work like brand new, for $100. I moved the old ones to a room we're not using for when we sell the house. The next fool that buy's this place can have the 'new' ones. Their 'new', why would you want 'old'.
(Dude I bought them off of was selling because his wife wanted NeW ones. My husband and I had a good laugh about it on the way home.)

OP to answer your question, sometimes a screw comes loose in the agitator, underneath the top part, and it will stop moving though the tub is still going. You have to take apart the inside and tighten it. There's some diy's on youtube that show it better than I can explain.

Last edited by Bunnny; 11-05-2021 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: Ading link
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 03:16 AM   #50
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Top loader? I thought they were all the rage in the sixties.
Appreciate 2
2000cs3502.50
vreihen1615278.50
      11-06-2021, 06:04 AM   #51
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Top loader? I thought they were all the rage in the sixties.
Yup. And still working too! No control cards, inverters or door seals to fail….
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615278.50
      11-06-2021, 07:20 AM   #52
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Just a caveat about the newer top loaders - there are more electronics than you expect. We bought a mid-range Maytag (I think) top loader in 2013 and the controls look like the old spring operated dials on my 1995 washing machine.

However, when we had some issues with the cycles, and I located the repair manual, I found that behind the “manual” dial there is an electronic controller. You can twist the dial a certain number of clicks in each direction (something like 4 clicks right, three left and one right) and it will initiate built-in-test sequences. One sequence makes it go through each step of the cycle with a couple second delay between each step. Another sequence allows you to manually step through the cycle and watch what happens. There is no longer an option to fix the sequence by simply replacing a cheap spring-operated dial.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60073.50
Alfisti6502.50