BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Washing machines

11-04-2021, 06:01 PM   #23
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Whoever invented front loaders should be forced to eat all that gunk accumulated in those rubber seals LOL.

Trying to solve a prb that never existed in the 1st place. Save water? How much does water cost?? Rough on clothes? Are they made out of paper mache? The design is just bad since obviously accumulated water will just make it stink, just common sense; I don't need to do extra maintenance, hate doing reg household maintenance as it is haha.

The 'only' good thing they have going for them is that they save space since it stacks much better ergonomically and aesthetically, but like many ppl said, I don't need them to shoot freaking laser beams. I'd just get a very basic set if the space only allows for stacked units.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 07:45 PM   #24
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
I know there is already a washing machine thread here somewhere but the search function sucks. I've noticed that the agitator on my washing machine is not moving. The tub still rotates in spin cycle. Are they different belts? I know I've had a belt replaced on it years ago but I think it was the tub belt
If it's a Whirlpool/Sears, then the plastic ratchet pawls have broken. About $6 online & 5 minutes work.

Check YouTube
This is what a repairman suggested when I called. Thx
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 08:13 PM   #25
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
Re: front load and mold, just run a cycle with Clorox every once in a while…
I have Samsung and have worked great since I got them back in 2012. I just keep the washer door open, damn how hard is that? Oh wait I have a middle aged house guest that doesn't know how to wipe his ass. But I digress...
Appreciate 1
2000cs3502.50
      11-05-2021, 05:10 AM   #26
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

We replaced the sears kenmore units when we relocated the laundry and expanded the kitchen.

Got fancy Electrolux units. Dam mold in the ring stinks. Too much work to change the ring. I’ll try running Clorox. Thanks what quantity of Clorox per load ?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 05:25 AM   #27
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Trying to solve a prb that never existed in the 1st place. Save water? How much does water cost??

idk about in the land of hockey pucks and maple syrup, but here in the land of fast food and hurt feelings water can get pretty expensive for some towns/cities. Rural areas with wells it's not an issue, but city water it is.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 07:20 AM   #28
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
I have Samsung and have worked great since I got them back in 2012. I just keep the washer door open, damn how hard is that? Oh wait I have a middle aged house guest that doesn't know how to wipe his ass. But I digress...
We do the same thing, although the new GE we bought last year has a short venting cycle after the clothes are removed to dry the seal (I guess).
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615333.00
      11-05-2021, 07:31 AM   #29
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
If you can find them the Bosch 500 washer and dryer (heatpump and self-cleaning) are excellent.

The non-heat pump condensing versions 300 & 800 are not as good.

https://www.bosch-home.com/us/specia...ompact-laundry

Last edited by omasou; 11-05-2021 at 07:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 07:44 AM   #30
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Since I bought one of these two years ago it's performed great with just the fluff filter needing emptying once in a while.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 08:01 AM   #31
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Since I bought one of these two years ago it's performed great with just the fluff filter needing emptying once in a while.
So what is Waterproof-Metal?

Seriously Miele is an excellent brand.

EDIT: wonder if that's a poor translation of stainless steel.
Appreciate 4
DETRoadster11462.50
M5Rick60091.50
vreihen1615333.00
upstatedoc7563.50
      11-05-2021, 08:07 AM   #32
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
So what is Waterproof-Metal?

Seriously Miele is an excellent brand.
Thanks and I never delved into what waterproof-metal means on it either haha
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 08:25 AM   #33
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
WIFE: ok so the washer and dryer, what are we getting
ME: Top load
W: that's old fashioned and boring i want something nice
ME: front loads are less reliable and are harder to use every day
W: Why?
ME: water sits in the sill and needs to be wiped down PEOPERLY after every use, door also must be kept open
W: that sounds ok, how hard can that be?
ME: Really? You haven't emptied the vac and it has been full for weeks and you just keep grinding it, matter of time before it shits itself, if you don't wipe down a front load there will be heavy mold
W: you're just saying this because top load is cheaper
ME: *******sigh********* shows a million google hits on mouldy front loads
W: i'll clean it every time
ME: (full seinfeld mode when Kramer said he was going to do levels in his apartment) ... I think you can but I KNOW you won't.
W: we're getting a front load
ME: Ok but I ain't cleaning the mold, that's your problem

2021:
ME: All my clothes smell like wet dog
W: Yeah I noticed that
ME: You been wiping down that washer like I suggest you do every week and you ark at me for repeating myself?
W: No
ME: ***********sigh**********

Inside of the door and the bottom of the sill is absolutely CAKED in thick, black, goopy mold, entire rubber ring needs to be replaced, machine out of action.

WIFE: Can you call someone to................
ME: No fucking way, you sort it out.

I can do the EXACT same storyline when she ordered window covers with a motor and remote instead of a simple cord. I said they'd break, and they did.
Where's MKSixer ? I believe you've won the internet today, sir.

When our 2 year old Samsung got so bad with mold we finally gave up and bought a top load, swearing to never buy a front load or a Samsung ever again. I was happy to have finally won the top vs. front battle. I did still lose out on getting a top load with an agitator as my wife wanted more room for blankets and stuff. With her terrible sense of size and proportion she didnt realize just how big 6 cubic feet is and as such we've never had that damn drum filled more than 1/2 way. The newer top loads dont fill the drum tot eh brim with water like in the old days but they are still miles better than front loads IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 08:32 AM   #34
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
I have an LG top loader, that is an inverter direct drive model. The motor has a 10 year warranty. It's maybe 3 or 4 years old now, and it's a beast. Very energy and water efficient, and it has handled all the heavy outdoor clothing I wear, greasy garage work clothes, heavy blankets, etc with ease. It is also fairly quiet, my last one (Maytag) sounded like there was a woodpecker on the side of my house sometimes.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 08:43 AM   #35
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Trying to solve a prb that never existed in the 1st place. Save water? How much does water cost??

idk about in the land of hockey pucks and maple syrup, but here in the land of fast food and hurt feelings water can get pretty expensive for some towns/cities. Rural areas with wells it's not an issue, but city water it is.
Non-'middle of nowhere' suburbanite here. Most of my 'village' is on well and septic but a third of us are on public (well ...perhaps private) water and sewer. Unfortunately, the local gov gave up control over these utilities several years before we moved here. It currently costs us north of $100 just for a monthly service fee. Sewer rate is based on every gallon of water used. Water the lawn? Too bad, you're charged for sewage on every water droplet used even though not a single drop hits their sanitation system. Needless to say, our monthly bill can be quite expensive in the summer.
      11-05-2021, 08:49 AM   #36
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
We replaced the sears kenmore units when we relocated the laundry and expanded the kitchen.

Got fancy Electrolux units. Dam mold in the ring stinks. Too much work to change the ring. I’ll try running Clorox. Thanks what quantity of Clorox per load ?
If you already have mold, I would run half a gallon of Clorox and run the machine on self-cleaning (or just a hot heavy wash).

After this cycle, take a rag and clean the inside of the rubber to remove the soap scum and other residue.

Then repeat with the remaining half gallon after it's done. Let it sit wide open overnight afterwards. Should resolve it. Wouldn't hurt to spray Clorox a few times inside the rubber to let it dry overnight too.

It'll smell awesome… I actually run it through the detergent dispenser, if you ever use liquid detergent, as the scum comes all the way from up there and gets in the pipe to the basket.

You'll likely be amazed at the amount of foam from the residue it'll create.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 09:29 AM   #37
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Correction to my earlier statement about having GE washer and dryer (top load). I realized yesterday they are Whirlpool.

In any case they've been working like a champ for about 12 years and counting. Not a single part has required replacement.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 09:47 AM   #38
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Non-'middle of nowhere' suburbanite here. Most of my 'village' is on well and septic but a third of us are on public (well ...perhaps private) water and sewer. Unfortunately, the local gov gave up control over these utilities several years before we moved here. It currently costs us north of $100 just for a monthly service fee. Sewer rate is based on every gallon of water used. Water the lawn? Too bad, you're charged for sewage on every water droplet used even though not a single drop hits their sanitation system. Needless to say, our monthly bill can be quite expensive in the summer.
I’ve had houses with this issue. In one area they set the sewer rate based on winter water usage to account for irrigation in summer not going into the sewers. In the other, the only option for irrigation was to get a second water meter (which comes with all the same monthly fees). For a pool, that also would work, or just having a truck deliver water to fill it. But all of that is really a zero-sum game: the sewer costs what it does and those costs have to be spread among all users some way. Same with water and other infrastructure.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 10:34 AM   #39
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post

I can't stand the smell of bleach so I use these once a month on the "clean wash cycle" and absolutely no mold and no funky smell in my old Kenmore or in my new Electrolux. I just order online or pick them up in Lowes or Home Depot.

Also, your Electrolux should have "door stand ventilation", it's below the latch. You unlock it and it becomes springy and keeps the door slightly open between washes, but also closes when you push it hard (no need to lock/unlock every time)
Attached Images

________4158.50
      11-05-2021, 10:58 AM   #40
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
WIFE: ok so the washer and dryer, what are we getting
ME: Top load
W: that's old fashioned and boring i want something nice
ME: front loads are less reliable and are harder to use every day
W: Why?
ME: water sits in the sill and needs to be wiped down PEOPERLY after every use, door also must be kept open
W: that sounds ok, how hard can that be?
ME: Really? You haven't emptied the vac and it has been full for weeks and you just keep grinding it, matter of time before it shits itself, if you don't wipe down a front load there will be heavy mold
W: you're just saying this because top load is cheaper
ME: *******sigh********* shows a million google hits on mouldy front loads
W: i'll clean it every time
ME: (full seinfeld mode when Kramer said he was going to do levels in his apartment) ... I think you can but I KNOW you won't.
W: we're getting a front load
ME: Ok but I ain't cleaning the mold, that's your problem

2021:
ME: All my clothes smell like wet dog
W: Yeah I noticed that
ME: You been wiping down that washer like I suggest you do every week and you ark at me for repeating myself?
W: No
ME: ***********sigh**********

Inside of the door and the bottom of the sill is absolutely CAKED in thick, black, goopy mold, entire rubber ring needs to be replaced, machine out of action.

WIFE: Can you call someone to................
ME: No fucking way, you sort it out.

I can do the EXACT same storyline when she ordered window covers with a motor and remote instead of a simple cord. I said they'd break, and they did.
I have yet to see my wife read an instruction manual. But, that doesn't prevent her from telling me I'm doing something incorrectly.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7563.50
      11-05-2021, 11:02 AM   #41
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Funny comment about front load being less reliable. Two of my neighbors have gone through their top loaders due to the belts in less time than it took for an issue with my front loader and the issue was the fill valve was leaking (exists on all models).

I Just leave the door open and wipe it out occasionally, not every time. Usually just a bit of a bundle of hair in there. Mine has a drain down to a filter from that little gasket so water doesnt sit in there.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615333.00
      11-05-2021, 11:03 AM   #42
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I have dozens of these, literally dozens.

Like her current DD, I said, plain and clear, don't get it because it comes with the passive safety options and it going to beep and bop RELNETLESSLY for anything you do. "I like the car, i tis perfect"....... but..... i said again, it has lane shift beeping, reverse beeping, forward collision beeping and braking and a SHIT TON MORE shit that doesn't work properly bt will yell at you incessantly.

Her eyes have glazed over, not even listening.

Drives the car home "OMG the beeping, and it braked by itself etc, I can't deal with this".
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 12:47 PM   #43
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Correction to my earlier statement about having GE washer and dryer (top load). I realized yesterday they are Whirlpool.

In any case they've been working like a champ for about 12 years and counting. Not a single part has required replacement.
May want to start at least seeing what's available as a replacement. At 12 years you're on borrowed time.

It took me more than 1 year to replace my previous 11 year old Bosch. Dryer was fine but the washer's main bearing gave up the ghost.
Appreciate 1
TiMSport12803.00
      11-05-2021, 01:13 PM   #44
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
I have dozens of these, literally dozens.

Like her current DD, I said, plain and clear, don't get it because it comes with the passive safety options and it going to beep and bop RELNETLESSLY for anything you do. "I like the car, i tis perfect"....... but..... i said again, it has lane shift beeping, reverse beeping, forward collision beeping and braking and a SHIT TON MORE shit that doesn't work properly bt will yell at you incessantly.

Her eyes have glazed over, not even listening.

Drives the car home "OMG the beeping, and it braked by itself etc, I can't deal with this".
Recently had a '21 Altima for a rental. HATED every second of driving that thing due to constant beeping and steering wheel vibration notifications. When it hard braked on me automatically, trying to back into a parking place, I wanted to drive it off a cliff. My 3.5 V6 felt like I was breaking land speed records after driving that Altima. I have a theory that people that can actually drive, don't need all the notifications. Also, Altima is the response to current day America. Seat lays back to the back seat, door is extremely large, and the car is constantly beeping at you. Yep, Nissans answer to Americans being fat, dumb and lazy.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615333.00