BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Adaptive M Suspension vs. Damping Setting

03-30-2021, 07:52 PM   #1
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
Adaptive M Suspension vs. Damping Setting

Anyone figure out what setting the Damping option under the Sport Individual driving mode does? Does it do something different if you have the Adaptive M Suspension?

I'm going to be running some tests but I'm finding it a bit confusing as to how the $700 option I purchased interacts with this Damping setting under Sport Individual.

The description on the option is "Adaptive M Suspension extracts even more driving dynamics potential. The Dynamic Damper Control and air cushioning on the rear axle are tuned to deliver exceptionally sporty driving characteristics.". Does that mean that with the option it doesn't matter what I set Damping to under the Sport Individual setup?

Clear as mud!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 08:40 PM   #2
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
My oversimplified understanding is Adaptive M adds more of a dual personality. Greater comfort or sportier, depending on the damping setting. Sport Individual & Eco Pro Individual let you mix and match different settings. Sounded like you understand Adaptive Drive. Think you will experience it differently in flat Florida.
Madly in love with mine. Hope yours grows on you.
Appreciate 1
Geradeaus378.00
      03-31-2021, 01:15 PM   #3
PrionFawkes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i (2020)

Check this out, it might help answer your questions. It's specific to the M5, but the descriptions of the settings and the technology still apply: https://www.bmw-m.com/en/topics/maga...-fahrwerk.html
Appreciate 1
CJ4211533.50
      03-31-2021, 05:42 PM   #4
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrionFawkes View Post
Check this out, it might help answer your questions. It's specific to the M5, but the descriptions of the settings and the technology still apply: https://www.bmw-m.com/en/topics/maga...-fahrwerk.html
Wow. Glad I ordered it on a 30i.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 07:43 PM   #5
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrionFawkes View Post
A couple of things... my understanding is that the Z4 is not an M car. Much of the description of the beefier components in the M5 probably do not apply to the Z4 - certainly not the sDrive 30i version. But even the M40i is an "M" in name only.

No Eco Pro mode in the M5?

The confusing part for me is the damper settings in Sport mode. The system is set up for Sport and Comfort damper settings so it looks like the basic car has two damper settings. If I configure the setting for Comfort will the Adaptive M Suspension continue to override that setting if I push the car hard through some tight turns? Probably.

It probably is not useful to configure the damper settings under Sport Individual if one has the Adaptive M Suspension. Suspension will always adapt to whatever is best for the driving situation (including comfort?). The other settings like Engine, Transmission and Steering probably act independently from the damper / suspension and are worth playing around with. I plan on experimenting with these settings over time and hope to dial in the best ride I can. The tyranny of choice!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 08:57 PM   #6
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Rough explanation I believe to be correct. Both standard & adaptive suspension have the same comfort and sport setting choices. Adaptive comfort is comfier than standard comfort and adaptive sport is sportier than standard sport. Comfort button on the console gives you comfort everything. 1 push. Sport Individual would let you pick comfort setting for suspension but sport or sport plus for other choices. Still ?
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2021, 10:10 AM   #7
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geradeaus View Post
A couple of things... my understanding is that the Z4 is not an M car. Much of the description of the beefier components in the M5 probably do not apply to the Z4 - certainly not the sDrive 30i version. But even the M40i is an "M" in name only.

No Eco Pro mode in the M5?

The confusing part for me is the damper settings in Sport mode. The system is set up for Sport and Comfort damper settings so it looks like the basic car has two damper settings. If I configure the setting for Comfort will the Adaptive M Suspension continue to override that setting if I push the car hard through some tight turns? Probably.

It probably is not useful to configure the damper settings under Sport Individual if one has the Adaptive M Suspension. Suspension will always adapt to whatever is best for the driving situation (including comfort?). The other settings like Engine, Transmission and Steering probably act independently from the damper / suspension and are worth playing around with. I plan on experimenting with these settings over time and hope to dial in the best ride I can. The tyranny of choice!
Well first off, I think your description of "M" or not is a bit off base; with the M sport diff, suspension and brakes the M40i is far from "just in name only"....though many of the died-in-the-wool BMW fanboys often say different.

As far as how the M suspension works, my understanding is that the individual settings are just that; they allow you to have the sport engine with the comfort steering or suspension....basically to set things where you want them to be - I don't believe the "adaptive" suspension swaps settings at will depending on conditions like my Range Rover does.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 04:30 PM   #8
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Rough explanation I believe to be correct. Both standard & adaptive suspension have the same comfort and sport setting choices. Adaptive comfort is comfier than standard comfort and adaptive sport is sportier than standard sport. Comfort button on the console gives you comfort everything. 1 push. Sport Individual would let you pick comfort setting for suspension but sport or sport plus for other choices. Still ?
Well, I'm a little slow. If I bought the Z4 without Adaptive M Suspension would the car still give me Damping settings in Sport Individual? If so, then the basic shocks must have some kind of electronic stiffening capability.

If I set the damping to comfort would the Adaptive M Suspension override it if I really started to push it around a corner? If the Adaptive M Suspension is going to take control and override my setting then I shouldn't even bother setting up Damping under Individual just sit back and drive and let the Adaptive M Suspension do what it does. Which is why I added it to my car in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 04:52 PM   #9
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
Well first off, I think your description of "M" or not is a bit off base; with the M sport diff, suspension and brakes the M40i is far from "just in name only"....though many of the died-in-the-wool BMW fanboys often say different.

As far as how the M suspension works, my understanding is that the individual settings are just that; they allow you to have the sport engine with the comfort steering or suspension....basically to set things where you want them to be - I don't believe the "adaptive" suspension swaps settings at will depending on conditions like my Range Rover does.

Dave
Well, I'm not trying to run down the M40i - it's a great car. Doesn't require a 1200 mile Break-in service according to BMW which all the other "M" vehicles do. Anyway...

There are two adaptive systems I'm talking about - Adaptive Drive Mode and Adaptive M Suspension. You have to set the Adaptive Drive mode and then it takes into account how you're driving the car and will modify the car to mimic Comfort or Sport settings. My 2008 335i had that feature as an intrinsic part of the operating system (no switch). If you stepped on it at every stoplight the car would change the engine / transmission management for a very sporty drive. If you then changed to a more relaxed drive style it would recognize that and dial back the sportiness. The Z4 has a button you press that tells the car to monitor your driving and set the drive mode to your current style. I don't know if it will mimic Eco Pro on the highway if you're just idling along. I'm going to be watching for that as I add miles to the odometer.

Adaptive M Suspension is the other adaptive technology and I believe it is always on (why wouldn't it be?). It operates so quickly that I believe it doesn't care if you say Sport or Comfort it's going to decide what's best for the road and the conditions. If it doesn't operate like that why have it? The big component is the adaptive shock absorbers that can quickly change the amount of damping in the shock. I haven't read about any other hardware component in the Z4 as part of this system. I believe the ride height is slightly lower but that height is not adaptive. Software adjusts the damping continuously as opposed to the base model that apparently has only two manual settings - comfort or sport.

If I'm off base with any of this, chime in. I'm just trying to understand the details of my car so I can be as knowledgeable as possible.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 10:59 PM   #10
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Read this starting at PDF p. 36 (lower left page numbered 32)

https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...3&d=1569377335
Appreciate 3
SakhirM410784.50
Mixitt372.00
Geradeaus378.00
      04-03-2021, 05:01 PM   #11
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Read this starting at PDF p. 36 (lower left page numbered 32)

https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...3&d=1569377335
I want the magenta coolant!

In my drive today I was sure I felt the "hot-end decoupling of the rotational imbalance of the engine by means of a further developed centrifugal pendulum". Right?

Great read. Thanks!
Appreciate 0