BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum First 500 Miles

04-01-2021, 12:07 PM   #23
mjonesjr8
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW Z4, 2019 Mini Cooper

****Update though I thought they looked the same as the Supra they are not and will not fit right for anyone thinking about getting them. **** so I would not order any if I was you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
Could you post a link to what you ordered? I found a deflector set from Autotecknic for the A90 Supra though it seems kinda pricey ($135).

(Sorry to hijack thread.)

Charles
Appreciate 2
Geradeaus378.00
CJ4211535.00
      04-01-2021, 12:18 PM   #24
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGingerOneNI View Post
Only really get the pops and bands on the overrun in sport plus. The rest of the time it's quite civilised
Agreed. For anyone that thinks there is too much "drama" with the M40i's exhaust in sport+ mode, all you need to do is take an F type V8 for a drive! LOL...... my F type was obnoxious in sport; easily 2-3X the drama of the M40i

Dave
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 03:58 PM   #25
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
Quote:
This is a bit DIY but it seemed to work for this guy...

Thic Whips
That video was amazing. A little piece of plastic stuck on the mirror base and the buffeting went away. I'll have to look into it. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 04:04 PM   #26
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
...As for buffeting in the Z4, I can't imagine a scenario where of of it's nice enough to put the windows down that you wouldn't put the to down but I accept I am an odd creature.
The issue I had was with the windows down and the top down. I agree - it will probably be a rare occurrence for me to want to put the windows down and leave the top up. But, I may look into the little window gizzmo just to be able to roll 'em down if I want to with the top up.

I think some of my issue was that there were heavy winds due to an impending storm front and they were coming from the side of the road. Those winds and the regular breeze from driving with the top down made for an extremely noisy and a bit uncomfortable ride. The next day we drove with the windows up which cut down on the crosswinds and it was better.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 04:16 PM   #27
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
Agreed. For anyone that thinks there is too much "drama" with the M40i's exhaust in sport+ mode, all you need to do is take an F type V8 for a drive! LOL...... my F type was obnoxious in sport; easily 2-3X the drama of the M40i

Dave
I live at the beach and every Friday and Saturday night it sounds like the Daytona 500 on A1A. My wife and I laugh about it. It seems that the louder and brasher the exhaust can be modified the more the driver thinks it's a girl magnet? And now, manufacturers are getting into the game by adding all the extra pops and farts.

I understand if you're racing the car you want to keep the turbo spooled up and the backfires add that punch to the exhaust gates, but other than on the track it's a bit much. It did put a grin on my face so deep down I understand the appeal factor.

I wonder if handling those backfires puts additional stress and wear on the turbo, exhaust, etc.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2021, 12:14 AM   #28
TheGingerOneNI
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geradeaus View Post
I live at the beach and every Friday and Saturday night it sounds like the Daytona 500 on A1A. My wife and I laugh about it. It seems that the louder and brasher the exhaust can be modified the more the driver thinks it's a girl magnet? And now, manufacturers are getting into the game by adding all the extra pops and farts.

I understand if you're racing the car you want to keep the turbo spooled up and the backfires add that punch to the exhaust gates, but other than on the track it's a bit much. It did put a grin on my face so deep down I understand the appeal factor.

I wonder if handling those backfires puts additional stress and wear on the turbo, exhaust, etc.
I know that in VAG and BMW cars the pops and bangs can be coded out of them quite easily using VCDS/Vagcom/OBDEleven for VAG and BimmerCode for BMW. I like driving my M401 in sport plus when the road is clear in front of me but going around town it's quite obnoxious so I just tap it back into comfort. To be honest my bigger concern is making sure I don't have any cheesy music playing with the to down.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 09:14 AM   #29
Living Dead
Zed Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
The issue I had was with the windows down and the top down. I agree - it will probably be a rare occurrence for me to want to put the windows down and leave the top up. But, I may look into the little window gizzmo just to be able to roll 'em down if I want to with the top up.

I think some of my issue was that there were heavy winds due to an impending storm front and they were coming from the side of the road. Those winds and the regular breeze from driving with the top down made for an extremely noisy and a bit uncomfortable ride. The next day we drove with the windows up which cut down on the crosswinds and it was better.
I agree, I've had an E85 and an E89 and the G29 even with the rear wind screen in place it has far more buffeting that the other two did with the top down without the wind screen, to the point that on the highway it's almost impossible to have a conversation which is a good thing if you have a chatty wife.
Appreciate 1
CJ4211535.00
      04-02-2021, 07:09 PM   #30
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
To be honest my bigger concern is making sure I don't have any cheesy music playing with the to down.
Too true!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 07:10 PM   #31
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
I agree, I've had an E85 and an E89 and the G29 even with the rear wind screen in place it has far more buffeting that the other two did with the top down without the wind screen, to the point that on the highway it's almost impossible to have a conversation which is a good thing if you have a chatty wife.
You guys are killing me!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 09:53 AM   #32
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [8.00]
Quote:

one of the reasons I sold my f type was because the exhaust was too much.....even on the z4, I like the exhaust in sport when youre on the gas but I could do without the after pops...

Dave
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 08:21 PM   #33
Romer
BMW and Toyota Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 sDrive30i

5000 miles and very happy. This being my 4th Z4, I can say with experience it is the best designed one. Right and comfort are better than any version before it. I thought I would miss the retractable hard top, but don't. It is very quiet and it goes up and down faster
      05-04-2021, 02:44 PM   #34
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
one of the reasons I sold my f type was because the exhaust was too much.....even on the z4, I like the exhaust in sport when youre on the gas but I could do without the after pops...

Dave
I concur, if I want pops and crackles when I come off the accelerator; I'll ride my H-D Streetglide. Only on motorcycles do loud pipes save lives
Appreciate 1
Geradeaus378.00