BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW Design Boss "its not our goal to please everyone"

03-18-2021, 04:59 PM   #133
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkr15 View Post
So they assumed that 20% of their market was people who want to be loud and bold and that was 100% of M3/M4 buyers 🙄. Guess you have to be loud and bold if you want a manual transmission sedan.
says the guy who bought one and supported this vulgarity

Why on earth would you not get a f80 6mt
      03-19-2021, 03:09 PM   #134
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Not sure if this has been posted already:

It's a much better design than the abomination that BMW put out even though I'm also not entirely a fan of it.
All automakers should have Foose on retainer. The company submits to Foose their approved design and then he fixes it. He has a knack for improving and cleaning up looks all the while still maintaining the designer's underlying design vision.

I totally agree with everything he says about the M3 design, especially the total lack of incorporation of the rear fenders. It seriously looks like shoddy body work. I know the prior gen M3 had a similar issue with the rear fenders, but this execution is downright terrible.

Even with all my problems with the M3, it still looks better than then M4. The M4 stinks of a prior gen Accord coupe and Mustang being blended together and the worst design elements of those two cars being highlighted in the M4. It's such a shame. These two cars stink of current gen Civic Type R tackiness. Who cares how great it might drive when no one will want to be seen in it?

BMW will continue to sell a bunch of cars, but their base has changed. It's really become a posers car brand and the customers not knowing much about cars at all. All they care about is the BMW badge, the interior, and the tech.

Last edited by XutvJet; 03-19-2021 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
BMWinAZ104.00
      03-19-2021, 03:45 PM   #135
bmwv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i Manual, M2 LBB DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
does anybody like the new front? they have to please at least somebody except Dukec.

Last edited by bmwv; 03-20-2021 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 12:36 PM   #136
///Mcarfan
IAB interrogating LEs
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwv View Post
does anybody like the new front? the have to please at least somebody except Dukec.
Yes. 100% of the people in G8x forums and they have the totally legit poll to prove it. Hint, everyone already moved on/banned from voicing their discontent.

And that translates to about 20% of all potential buyers.

Here is the typical G8x lover shown live after seeing the poll
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 12:33 AM   #137
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mcarfan View Post
Yes. 100% of the people in G8x forums and they have the totally legit poll to prove it. Hint, everyone already moved on/banned from voicing their discontent.

And that translates to about 20% of all potential buyers.

Here is the typical G8x lover shown live after seeing the poll
there is a thread over there of people's opinions of the car after they have actually seen it in person. Almost everyone in that thread has said how once they see it in person they really like it and that it looks so much better and different than in pictures, and many of those people commented how they hated the car until they saw it in person.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 03:11 PM   #138
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
there is a thread over there of people's opinions of the car after they have actually seen it in person. Almost everyone in that thread has said how once they see it in person they really like it and that it looks so much better and different than in pictures, and many of those people commented how they hated the car until they saw it in person.
In pictures, I said I'd never buy any car with that disgusting, awful grill, a pledge I made for months.

And I said the same thing about Audi's laughably large grill years ago when I saw it, same with Lexus'. Now, the Audi's is more doable, and I think it looks good on the Lexus LC model.

And ironically, after seeing the new M in person, I'm ready to order one.

“Don’t let your opinion sway your judgment.” - Samuel Goldwyn
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 03:36 PM   #139
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
There is also a lot of people blocked from that forum who have seen the car in person and unable to vote in the poll. I'm not denying that people like the looks, and they of course are free to do so, but to put the poll in the G8X forums will of course have slight bias and limit visibility. One member voted and explained that they didn't like the looks after seeing it in person and was then ridiculed and harassed by some G8X members for sharing his opinion and answering the question of the poll and since has had the posts deleted.
RugbyBro7572.50
jmack548.50
      03-24-2021, 04:16 PM   #140
InsideDK
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi A4

I'm new to BMW, as I have been driving Audi the last 8 years.

If the price is within my target, the BMW i4 will be my next car, and my first BMW. I don't get the hate about the new grille. Passed by the BMW dealer again today, just to check out the new 4 series, and the front is much more modern looking than all the other BMWs in the showroom. The small kidneys just looks dated IMO.

But I'm also used to large grills from Audi.

I totally understand, that all you die-hard fans like the legacy and looks of the "older" cars, but as a newcomer who are not in love with any old BMW designs, I am welcoming this new design change.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 07:02 PM   #141
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideDK View Post
I'm new to BMW, as I have been driving Audi the last 8 years.

If the price is within my target, the BMW i4 will be my next car, and my first BMW. I don't get the hate about the new grille. Passed by the BMW dealer again today, just to check out the new 4 series, and the front is much more modern looking than all the other BMWs in the showroom. The small kidneys just looks dated IMO.

But I'm also used to large grills from Audi.

I totally understand, that all you die-hard fans like the legacy and looks of the "older" cars, but as a newcomer who are not in love with any old BMW designs, I am welcoming this new design change.
That is very interesting. Audi has had some very good designs over the last 14 years or so. The big grills are not the problem with Audis or other brands, it's disfigured and non-congruent designs and grills that are the problem. That is the problem with BMW now. The design language is a collage of psychotic ideas. They don't make any sense and they ignore all traditional design cues for BMW as well as themes and symmetry. Shapes don't match, lines don't match, etc. In fact, I'm actively in the market for an Audi right now. First time I've ever thought of buying an Audi. That's how bad BMW design is now.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 11:46 PM   #142
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
There is also a lot of people blocked from that forum who have seen the car in person and unable to vote in the poll. I'm not denying that people like the looks, and they of course are free to do so, but to put the poll in the G8X forums will of course have slight bias and limit visibility. One member voted and explained that they didn't like the looks after seeing it in person and was then ridiculed and harassed by some G8X members for sharing his opinion and answering the question of the poll and since has had the posts deleted.
This is one of the more heavy handed moderator forums I've been on. Hopefully I don't get in trouble for saying it, but it's true. Lots of closed posts. No clue on the banned people. Now that said, the constant barrage of negative comments on the grilles got really old. Day your peace and be done with it. I get that many, myself included, aren't thrilled with the design, but the ongoing deluge of negative comments was not doing anything to add to any discussion and if people weren't going to shut up (I assume after warnings) then maybe they needed to be shut up. So, maybe the results of that poll are artificially skewed, but I put more stake in the written comments and people's thought. Yes, maybe still a bit one-sided, but does sure the change in thought process of many that once hated it.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 08:35 AM   #143
Flint Rockbone
Pilot of the Caribbean
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

I just had a chance to check out a G82 Comp at my local dealership. I will admit that it looks better in person, but better still isn't good. The design is just too busy. Lines, creases, and bumps everywhere. The car feels like it doesn't have any design continuity. The interior is beautiful however.
G30 M550i
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25051.00
jmack548.50
      03-26-2021, 08:35 AM   #144
BMWinAZ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i, ‘08 328i, ‘03 316ti

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Rockbone View Post
I just had a chance to check out a G82 Comp at my local dealership. I will admit that it looks better in person, but better still isn't good. The design is just too busy. Lines, creases, and bumps everywhere. The car feels like it doesn't have any design continuity. The interior is beautiful however.
After seeing a few of the on the road, I have to admit that it is at least as ugly in real life as it is in pictures!
Appreciate 0