BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum First 500 Miles

03-30-2021, 07:43 PM   #1
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
First 500 Miles

Just thought I would list a few things I experienced and learned about my sDrive30i Z4 after taking delivery of it last Thursday.

* The car is very noisy and windy with the top and windows down. I don't mind it but it's tough on my wife and makes conversation difficult. Keeping the windows up helps substantially and is our preferred mode when top-down motoring.

* The Harman Kardon sound system is either very bad or it's just operating in a very tough environment (a convertible two-seater). The 10 speaker Bose system in my new Mazda CX-5 blows the H K system away. Of course, the Bose system is in a larger, fully enclosed vehicle and there is a large subwoofer installed in the spare wheel in the trunk area. Even with the windows and top up the H K system does not impress.

* The brakes are horribly grabby in the Z4. Most of my 500 miles has been highway driving so I probably haven't even set the pads yet but if after another 500 miles the brakes feel as "lumpy" and grabby, I'm taking it in for service to see if the rotors are warped. Again, the new Mazda has strong, smooth stopping power that is easy to modulate for an easy, smooth stop. I've got the regular brakes and not the M Sport brakes in the Z4 and wouldn't want anything stronger. An insert in my delivery package mentions that the brakes are improved to reduce brake dust (always a problem with the soft pads BMW uses) so I'm wondering if that may be the culprit.

* The car displayed an impressive fuel economy of 35.3 MPG! That's crazy. Now I did not drive the car the way God intended it to be driven or as I plan to drive it once the engine gets 1200 miles on it, but 35 MPG! It might have slipped into Eco Pro mode along the way (see the next bullet below) but on the interstate cruising home, I'll take 35 MPG.

* Pressing "Adaptive" mode is like a box of chocolates - You never know what you're going to get. I was under the impression that the Adaptive mode was for the Adaptive M Suspension option I purchased.
WRONG! The "Adaptive" mode decides whether to operate the car in Comfort, Sport or Eco Pro mode depending on how you're driving the car (there may be some GPS mapping things going on too - not sure). I put the car in Sport mode and later pressed the Adaptive button to tell the suspension to adapt to road conditions and at a stop sign the engine cutoff! The Adaptive mode decided I was driving in Comfort mode and activated the engine stop feature. My guess is that the Adaptive mode decided to put the car in Eco Pro mode on the interstate too. I'll be looking at this very closely over the next few driving sessions.

* The Parking Assistant is probably not going to get used much. I tried it along San Marco Blvd in St. Augustine looking for a parallel spot and it kept shutting off. There was no way I could slow down to 22 MPH along that road without triggering a road rage incident. I could locate a spot and keep with the traffic flow better than the system. I guess in a parking lot one might fare better. We'll see as I'm planning on running some tests this weekend.

* I like the car, but I'm not in love with it (lot's of people asked me, "So do you love it?"). I've only had a couple of dates and we haven't even gotten comfortable with each other. I'm hoping that after 1200 miles and we get into Sport mode I'll start to really appreciate the car for the engine and handling. I can see there is something quite special waiting for me when that special day arrives!
Appreciate 3
CJ4211548.50
TAZ0071846.50
      03-30-2021, 08:57 PM   #2
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Honest writeup.
Are the brakes grabbier than other BMWs? I've found BMWs in general to be "touchy" after driving other makes but am used to it.

I read good and bad things about the h/k system in the G29. I had h/k in my 3-series and had to tune the EQ to get it to sound better. Stock settings were no good.

Charles
Geradeaus378.00
      03-30-2021, 11:26 PM   #3
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geradeaus View Post
* The car is very noisy and windy with the top and windows down. I don't mind it but it's tough on my wife and makes conversation difficult. Keeping the windows up helps substantially and is our preferred mode when top-down motoring.
I think the Z4 has the same wind buffeting issue as the Supra, but nobody has really complained about it that I see. I was really noticing it the other day and if I deflected wind with my hand near the side mirror, the buffeting was almost eliminated.

Quote:
* The Harman Kardon sound system is either very bad or it's just operating in a very tough environment (a convertible two-seater). The 10 speaker Bose system in my new Mazda CX-5 blows the H K system away. Of course, the Bose system is in a larger, fully enclosed vehicle and there is a large subwoofer installed in the spare wheel in the trunk area. Even with the windows and top up the H K system does not impress.

* The brakes are horribly grabby in the Z4. Most of my 500 miles has been highway driving so I probably haven't even set the pads yet but if after another 500 miles the brakes feel as "lumpy" and grabby, I'm taking it in for service to see if the rotors are warped. Again, the new Mazda has strong, smooth stopping power that is easy to modulate for an easy, smooth stop. I've got the regular brakes and not the M Sport brakes in the Z4 and wouldn't want anything stronger. An insert in my delivery package mentions that the brakes are improved to reduce brake dust (always a problem with the soft pads BMW uses) so I'm wondering if that may be the culprit.
Try configuring some of the sound settings and turning the bass up a bit. XM Radio sounds like crap, so try something else like spotify.

The brakes being grabby is normal. You will get used to it and they will also break in the more you drive. I'm going to try some brake repellent stuff on the rims and see if that helps. It doesn't take long for them to get quite dusty.

Rob
Appreciate 1
Geradeaus378.00
      03-31-2021, 05:19 AM   #4
spbbonzo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

After 10000 miles I think the 'I like the car, but I'm not in love with it' comment applies to me.

On a motorway or A road it's a great car to be in but on twisty uneven side roads it's like being in a washing machine. The car's ability to bounce sideways at speed on anything other than a great surface can be worrying.

I doubt the G29 was tested on UK roads ;-)
Appreciate 1
Geradeaus378.00
      03-31-2021, 09:38 AM   #5
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [8.00]
My thoughts;

Yes, it's windy with the windows down.....similar to my Jag and our SLK may have been a bit better in that regard. I consider it normal.

I do have the M sport brakes but I have zero complaints with them and haven't found them grabby at all.

No comment on the sound system; I don't listen to music much as I prefer to listen to the engine.....but it seems better than the Meridian in my F type.....it's probably unfair to compare to a larger enclosed vehicle.

Over time, I'd say that I AM in love with the car and I think I made the right decision. It a far better sportscar than our SLK350 was and the driving dynamics are also far better than my F type (probably because the Z4 is over 400 lbs lighter). Based on the looks of the car (which I love), the driving dynamics and the price, I can't think of a better car.

The only other car I'd consider would be a 718 Boxster GTS 4.0 but that would come at a very hefty premium - the Z4 M40i is a bargain in comparison.

2 cents,
Dave
Appreciate 4
CJ4211548.50
Mixitt372.00
Geradeaus378.00
TAZ0071846.50
      03-31-2021, 12:56 PM   #6
PrionFawkes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i (2020)

After nearly 10,000 miles since a July 2019 delivery, I am amazed at how different my experience with the car has been compared to those who complain of issues.

It must come down to one's previous experience with cars in this segment, how much they researched the vehicle before buying, and individual tastes.

As a current owner of a competing roadster, and the former owner of many open top cars, I find the G20 Z4 to have one of the quietest cabins with the top up or down. I am able to have conversations in a normal volume at speeds up to 45 with the windows down and up to 85 with them up. Never have I experienced buffeting; nor have I heard anything resembling what the Supra suffers from.

The M Sport brakes are big and performance oriented, but I did drive a 30i without them before ordering mine. I find them perfectly biased. I actually found them less grabby than my other cars with BBKs. I think you'll need more than 500 miles on the odometer before you'll learn to appreciate them. I feel this is more a result of "improvements" the insert mentions. A harder compound may be the culprit.

I think the rest are also due to only a short time in the car and not being completely familiar with how to configure and operate it.

Check in after 2500 miles and provide an update.
Appreciate 5
CJ4211548.50
Mixitt372.00
Geradeaus378.00
SakhirM410784.50
      03-31-2021, 01:34 PM   #7
jcard71
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Quote:
Just thought I would list a few things I experienced and learned about my sDrive30i Z4 after taking delivery of it last Thursday.

* The car displayed an impressive fuel economy of 35.3 MPG! That's crazy. Now I did not drive the car the way God intended it to be driven or as I plan to drive it once the engine gets 1200 miles on it, but 35 MPG! It might have slipped into Eco Pro mode along the way (see the next bullet below) but on the interstate cruising home, I'll take 35 MPG.

* Pressing "Adaptive" mode is like a box of chocolates - You never know what you're going to get. I was under the impression that the Adaptive mode was for the Adaptive M Suspension option I purchased.
WRONG! The "Adaptive" mode decides whether to operate the car in Comfort, Sport or Eco Pro mode depending on how you're driving the car (there may be some GPS mapping things going on too - not sure). I put the car in Sport mode and later pressed the Adaptive button to tell the suspension to adapt to road conditions and at a stop sign the engine cutoff! The Adaptive mode decided I was driving in Comfort mode and activated the engine stop feature. My guess is that the Adaptive mode decided to put the car in Eco Pro mode on the interstate too. I'll be looking at this very closely over the next few driving sessions.

* The Parking Assistant is probably not going to get used much. I tried it along San Marco Blvd in St. Augustine looking for a parallel spot and it kept shutting off. There was no way I could slow down to 22 MPH along that road without triggering a road rage incident. I could locate a spot and keep with the traffic flow better than the system. I guess in a parking lot one might fare better. We'll see as I'm planning on running some tests this weekend.

* I like the car, but I'm not in love with it (lot's of people asked me, "So do you love it?"). I've only had a couple of dates and we haven't even gotten comfortable with each other. I'm hoping that after 1200 miles and we get into Sport mode I'll start to really appreciate the car for the engine and handling. I can see there is something quite special waiting for me when that special day arrives!
Good news - you're sending it back in 3 years anyway...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 04:25 PM   #8
mjonesjr8
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW Z4, 2019 Mini Cooper

This is very true as I traded in my 2020 Supra on the Z4 and I have already ordered the same wind buffeting carbon fiber parts to go on the Z4 as it looks to be exactly the same.

****Update though I thought they looked the same as the Supra they are not and will not fit right for anyone thinking about getting them. ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
I think the Z4 has the same wind buffeting issue as the Supra, but nobody has really complained about it that I see. I was really noticing it the other day and if I deflected wind with my hand near the side mirror, the buffeting was almost eliminated.

Try configuring some of the sound settings and turning the bass up a bit. XM Radio sounds like crap, so try something else like spotify.

The brakes being grabby is normal. You will get used to it and they will also break in the more you drive. I'm going to try some brake repellent stuff on the rims and see if that helps. It doesn't take long for them to get quite dusty.

Rob

Last edited by mjonesjr8; 04-01-2021 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 04:55 PM   #9
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjonesjr8 View Post
This is very true as I traded in my 2020 Supra on the Z4 and I have already ordered the same wind buffeting carbon fiber parts to go on the Z4 as it looks to be exactly the same.
Could you post a link to what you ordered? I found a deflector set from Autotecknic for the A90 Supra though it seems kinda pricey ($135).

(Sorry to hijack thread.)

Charles
      03-31-2021, 04:59 PM   #10
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Well, 2 years and 11,000 miles in I am still in love with this car.

I am glad I got the M40i, since nothing beats a BMW I6. Lots of power, great exhaust note, a cruiser in Comfort, a beast in Sport Plus.

Folks complaining about wind in a Roadster probably should have gone for a Cabriolet instead.

The HK is nothing for the audiophile, but then again, it is a Roadster, not a concert house.

This is likely the last ICE BMW Roadster. Take it or leave it.

The only thing I can imagine getting before the ICE lights go out is a Porsche Boxster or 911 Convertible in a few years to replace the Z4.
jcard71156.50
Geradeaus378.00
SakhirM410784.50
      03-31-2021, 05:00 PM   #11
mjonesjr8
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW Z4, 2019 Mini Cooper

Yes they are very pricey but, this is what I had on the Supra and ordered again as I was happy with them.

https://www.verus-engineering.com/sh...71?category=57

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
Could you post a link to what you ordered? I found a deflector set from Autotecknic for the A90 Supra though it seems kinda pricey ($135).

(Sorry to hijack thread.)

Charles
Appreciate 1
CJ4211548.50
      03-31-2021, 06:30 PM   #12
jcard71
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967 View Post

I am glad I got the M40i, since nothing beats a BMW I6. Lots of power, great exhaust note, a cruiser in Comfort, a beast in Sport Plus.

Folks complaining about wind in a Roadster probably should have gone for a Cabriolet instead.

The HK is nothing for the audiophile, but then again, it is a Roadster, not a concert house.

The only thing I can imagine getting before the ICE lights go out is a Porsche Boxster or 911 Convertible in a few years to replace the Z4.
I don't get how you complain about wind in a convertible??? 😂
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 06:36 PM   #13
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
Honest writeup.
Are the brakes grabbier than other BMWs? I've found BMWs in general to be "touchy" after driving other makes but am used to it.

I read good and bad things about the h/k system in the G29. I had h/k in my 3-series and had to tune the EQ to get it to sound better. Stock settings were no good.

Charles
I didn't have any brake issues with my 2008 335i. Again, I'm holding out hope that my current brakes just haven't been broken-in. Most of my miles are highway and I rarely touched the brakes. Taking the car out for a spin tomorrow and I'll be braking with more force than usual to wear 'em a bit.

I haven't played around much with the equalizer settings yet. I've added bass to the overall setting. I just think the Z4 is not a good concert hall and I'll never get really good sound except in the garage. Probably should just turn it off and listen to the engine. It sounds good!
Appreciate 1
CJ4211548.50
      03-31-2021, 06:45 PM   #14
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbonzo View Post
After 10000 miles I think the 'I like the car, but I'm not in love with it' comment applies to me.

On a motorway or A road it's a great car to be in but on twisty uneven side roads it's like being in a washing machine. The car's ability to bounce sideways at speed on anything other than a great surface can be worrying.

I doubt the G29 was tested on UK roads ;-)
I headed home from the Z4 delivery at the Performance Center in Spartanburg intending to take non-highways most of the way home. The Nav system really followed that request and routed me on some of the worst roads I've recently driven through urban and rural areas. The ride was not pleasant. I quickly switched the Avoid Highways setting off and returned to improved roadways where I could start to relax and enjoy the ride. The Z4 definitely bounces around a bit on bad roads. The interstate highway drive was smooth as silk.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 07:06 PM   #15
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
Yes, it's windy with the windows down... I consider it normal.
... I prefer to listen to the engine... it's probably unfair to compare to a larger enclosed vehicle.
Over time, I'd say that I AM in love with the car ... Based on the looks of the car (which I love), the driving dynamics and the price, I can't think of a better car.

The only other car I'd consider would be a 718 Boxster GTS 4.0 but that would come at a very hefty premium - the Z4 M40i is a bargain in comparison.

2 cents,
Dave
I've had two other convertibles so I shouldn't have expected otherwise. Took it down A1A to St. Augustine the other night and with 55 MPH limits and some much lower on the route the wind was really not an issue with the windows up. I think if I expect to drive it over 60 MPH I'll just keep the windows AND top up.

I'm looking forward to getting to 1200 miles so I can really start to enjoy the engine. I've heard it under some situations and it does sound great. I've revved it sitting in the driveway (less than 4500 rpms) in Sport + and the light burbles when releasing the throttle are nice. Definitely sounds better than the stereo. And it is unfair to compare the larger enclosed vehicle with the roadster - still...

I really like the looks of the car and the utility. I'm planning a mega-trip this fall and I'll be using every inch of trunk space. Once I get the car back to some roads that will show off the handling I'll really appreciate it. Florida is all 90 degree turns at stop lights and flat as hell. I long for my old stomping grounds in the rolling hills of Virginia.

With the recent purchase of the Mazda CX-5 I've got to say I wish I had test driven the Miata. I'm very impressed with what Mazda put in the CX-5 and I'm guessing the ride and handling would have been enticing (and the $20,000 lower price tag). I don't think I could have loaded two suitcases and some duffle bags into it, though.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 07:09 PM   #16
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrionFawkes View Post
I think the rest are also due to only a short time in the car and not being completely familiar with how to configure and operate it.

Check in after 2500 miles and provide an update.
I concur and will be back in a couple thousand miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 07:21 PM   #17
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967 View Post

I got to drive the M40i at the Performance Center and had a grin on my face as I floored it and let off to the "back firing". But I couldn't imagine making those sounds anywhere but on a track. The 30i was definitely created for someone like me who prefers a little less "in your face" image on the roads. Each to their own.

I'm actually looking forward to the electric version. I've had eight years in a Volt and once you get used to 300 Ft Lbs of torque at 1 RPM accelerating in anything but an electric is lag city. I could imagine a Z4 with a sub-three second 0-60 as quiet as a mouse and as smooth as a hot knife through butter. Probably still won't be able to hear the stereo over the wind noise...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 08:34 PM   #18
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcard71 View Post
Top up, window down produces a lot of wind buffeting in your ear just like the Supra. The problem is that the wind is deflecting into the back of the side window area rather than around it. The window doesn't even need to be down that much for wind buffeting to happen.

The 2020 X3 I owned had annoying wind buffeting from the sunroof when it was open, but my M340I is so much better and doesn't do that.

Rob
Appreciate 1
Geradeaus378.00
      03-31-2021, 08:53 PM   #19
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcard71 View Post
Top up, window down produces a lot of wind buffeting in your ear just like the Supra. The problem is that the wind is deflecting into the back of the side window area rather than around it. The window doesn't even need to be down that much for wind buffeting to happen.

The 2020 X3 I owned had annoying wind buffeting from the sunroof when it was open, but my M340I is so much better and doesn't do that.

Rob
I never drive with top up and windows down. If it is warm enough for windows down, the top is always down!
      03-31-2021, 09:59 PM   #20
TheGingerOneNI
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Quote:

Rob

This is a bit DIY but it seemed to work for this guy...

Thic Whips
Appreciate 1
Geradeaus378.00
      03-31-2021, 10:01 PM   #21
TheGingerOneNI
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I got to drive the M40i at the Performance Center and had a grin on my face as I floored it and let off to the "back firing". But I couldn't imagine making those sounds anywhere but on a track. The 30i was definitely created for someone like me who prefers a little less "in your face" image on the roads. Each to their own.

I'm actually looking forward to the electric version. I've had eight years in a Volt and once you get used to 300 Ft Lbs of torque at 1 RPM accelerating in anything but an electric is lag city. I could imagine a Z4 with a sub-three second 0-60 as quiet as a mouse and as smooth as a hot knife through butter. Probably still won't be able to hear the stereo over the wind noise...
Only really get the pops and bands on the overrun in sport plus. The rest of the time it's quite civilised
Appreciate 2
SakhirM410784.50
Geradeaus378.00
      03-31-2021, 10:08 PM   #22
TheGingerOneNI
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I headed home from the Z4 delivery at the Performance Center in Spartanburg intending to take non-highways most of the way home. The Nav system really followed that request and routed me on some of the worst roads I've recently driven through urban and rural areas. The ride was not pleasant. I quickly switched the Avoid Highways setting off and returned to improved roadways where I could start to relax and enjoy the ride. The Z4 definitely bounces around a bit on bad roads. The interstate highway drive was smooth as silk.
Oh three are worse out there. Prior the the M40i I had a mk3 Audi TTS with magride and the optional 20" wheels. Even in the softest setting the suspension felt like there was zero travel. Great for when you wanted to hoon it on fast wide roads with sweeping bend but to live with everyday it was terrible. I didn't buy the car for comfort so it was the price I had to pay. The TTS also had the most awful buffeting over 50mph. As for buffeting in the Z4, I can't imagine a scenario where of of it's nice enough to put the windows down that you wouldn't put the to down but I accept I am an odd creature.
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410784.50