BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Convertible Top Break-in

04-07-2021, 03:37 PM   #1
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
Convertible Top Break-in

I noticed that if I just held the top down button that the back corners of the top would bunch up. I'm now layering the top fabric down neatly as I drop the top a bit, smooth it out and then drop it some more. It seems to be working as the back of the top is smoother and less bunched up in the corners. It's not very cool to take a couple of minutes in a parking lot to lower the automatic top in this manual mode, but I hope once the fabric starts to learn how to lay down I'll be able to just hold the switch. If I can get the creases in the right place it should work better.

The two pictures are of the top after my efforts. I should have taken a picture last week before I started my top break-in as these photos show a pretty smooth folded top.

Anyone else have corner bunching issues?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
CJ4211559.00
      04-08-2021, 09:53 AM   #2
jcard71
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geradeaus View Post
I noticed that if I just held the top down button that the back corners of the top would bunch up. I'm now layering the top fabric down neatly as I drop the top a bit, smooth it out and then drop it some more. It seems to be working as the back of the top is smoother and less bunched up in the corners. It's not very cool to take a couple of minutes in a parking lot to lower the automatic top in this manual mode, but I hope once the fabric starts to learn how to lay down I'll be able to just hold the switch. If I can get the creases in the right place it should work better.

The two pictures are of the top after my efforts. I should have taken a picture last week before I started my top break-in as these photos show a pretty smooth folded top.

Anyone else have corner bunching issues?
Have not had that issue. I would recommend protecting the top however with the following.

GYEON Quartz Fabric Coat (400ml) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OORR7I8...UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 11:59 AM   #3
badfitter
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i

I'm sure everyone realizes that the car should not be parked for any length of time with the top down. Even in an enclosed garage, the top should be raised when parked.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 12:19 PM   #4
morgan302
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 2015

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Top down

I have had convertibles all my life and the only ones I did not leave down most of the time are my 60's and older cars all others are always down unless it was raining or under 34 degrees. My Z4 top is rarely up because it is garage kept. When I am out and about it is always down again unless it looks like rain. So far after over 60 years of owning only convertibles I have never had anything stolen although I do not keep anything of value in the car. I just keep them clean and when out in the rain do not put it back down until it is bone dry. To each his own do what feels correct for your car and more power to you.
Appreciate 1
IM2C2066.50
      04-08-2021, 03:55 PM   #5
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [8.00]
I keep mine up in the garage when stored and not in use; partially to keep the top wrinkle free but also to keep dust out of the interior. OTOH, the top is down 90+% of the time when I'm driving.

YMMV

Dave
Appreciate 0