BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW Labor Rates and Hours?

06-11-2021, 09:45 PM   #23
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
I might do the filters myself. Its a pretty easy thing to do. No special tools needed and no lift needed. Also pretty low risk of injury! I'm going to be replacing brake pads on the f30. I'll keep the rotors because they're in great shape. What do you think a fair price is for just brake pad replacement on the F30?
There is a drive through repair shop that does basic maintenance a few blocks from my house where you stay in your car and they charge $53 with tax per axle for brake pad replacement which I think is very fair. I had them change my front pads on my f36 maybe 3-4 weeks ago. Meanwhile, Indy shops and shade tree mechanics wanted at least $60 or more.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 07:47 PM   #24
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
I've searched the threads but can't find this information in one thread. How many hours does each of the following services take for a N63tu engine? Separately, what is a fair labor rate for each of the following services. I ask for both hours and prices as both can vary for location to location.. Labor numbers only, parts/fluids have been purchased separately to reduce variables.

-Cooling System Service (flush and refill)

-Transfer Case Service (flush and refill)

-Driveline Service Front and Rear (xdrive front and rear differential flush and refill)

-Transmission Fluid (flush, replacement with new pan, and refill)

-Cabin Microfilter Replacement

-Engine Air Filter Replacement

-Spark Plugs (8) (replacement, no coil changes)

-Oil Change

-Brake Pad Replacement (all 4 wheels)

-Rotor Replacement (all 4 wheels)
Bringing this thread back as there have been some inquiries about proper labor prices. In the last year, labor prices seem to be all over the place.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 10:29 AM   #25
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Bringing this thread back as there have been some inquiries about proper labor prices. In the last year, labor prices seem to be all over the place.
I DIY everything, but even if I didn't I don't find hourly rates to be a very useful data point. There appears to be no genuine relationship between that and what a job actually costs that a mere mortal can figure out. When I got my N20 X3 software updated recently under a recall, they told me I needed a belt and the oil filter housing gasket was leaking. They gave me a quote of a little over $1,000, of which a little over $200 was for the belt. Neither job is hard, but an N20 belt may actually be the easiest belt swap in the history of cars. Seriously. If you timed me and it went perfectly I might be able to do it in under a minute. Any trained tech would easily do it in under 5 minutes. So what is that hourly rate? $1,000 per hour? A tech probably can do the gasket job on that engine in an hour or two at most. It only took me a little over 2, and I had never done it before and was slow about cleaning everything. So that's another $300 - $500 an hour effective labor rate.
Appreciate 1
chad86tsi1596.00
      09-04-2022, 11:00 AM   #26
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
I DIY everything, but even if I didn't I don't find hourly rates to be a very useful data point. There appears to be no genuine relationship between that and what a job actually costs that a mere mortal can figure out. When I got my N20 X3 software updated recently under a recall, they told me I needed a belt and the oil filter housing gasket was leaking. They gave me a quote of a little over $1,000, of which a little over $200 was for the belt. Neither job is hard, but an N20 belt may actually be the easiest belt swap in the history of cars. Seriously. If you timed me and it went perfectly I might be able to do it in under a minute. Any trained tech would easily do it in under 5 minutes. So what is that hourly rate? $1,000 per hour? A tech probably can do the gasket job on that engine in an hour or two at most. It only took me a little over 2, and I had never done it before and was slow about cleaning everything. So that's another $300 - $500 an hour effective labor rate.
Yep, I recently did the front Magneride struts on my Wife's Escalade, and based on local shop flat rate quote, and my actual cost and hours spent I made about $400 an hour for my time.

Sometimes getting charged $120 an hour plus parts is better deal than it looks compared to flat rate services.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 01:00 PM   #27
Bking60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

hourly is not always the story when they overcharge for parts, rags, chemicals, surcharge, misc fee etc. $150hr is really $175 plus parts.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 01:22 PM   #28
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
...So what is that hourly rate? $1,000 per hour? A tech probably can do the gasket job on that engine in an hour or two at most. It only took me a little over 2, and I had never done it before and was slow about cleaning everything. So that's another $300 - $500 an hour effective labor rate.
Spot on. Since when did dealerships make 5-10 times more than physician offices per hour? Objectively speaking, the people at the dealership don't need an education after HS, no ginormous malpractice, no college, no med school, no residency, no fellowship, no 100 hr/week hellish training, no life or death situations...sometimes on a daily basis, etc. And they are working on a car with easily replaceable parts, not a living human being.

One of the local Chrysler dealerships wants $300 for an oil change now! Maybe we need a Medicare insurance system for car dealership service centers. They'd get $15 for an oil change if they were lucky!
Appreciate 0