BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Road bikes?

09-17-2010, 09:58 AM   #221
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

It's actually good advise. Get a light, one that works.

As a cyclist, you really can't draw too much attention to yourself. Use a blinky LED on front and back anytime there are low light conditions, including in the rain. Drivers are stupid, and are guaranteed to do stupid things. Most don't consider that a bike might be doing 25-30mph, and will blindly pull out in front of you, they'll cut you off at any opportunity, and the same driver that will give five feet of room to a parked car will chop within inches of a cyclist.

Get a light. Your fellow rider was just looking out for you.

Look into toe covers before thicker socks, they're more effective and won't change the fit of your shoes. I rock full fingers in temps below sixty, they're great to have. Arm warmers are nice, but I don't usually pull out the leg warmers until it's close to freezing. If your legs are getting cold in the fifties, ride faster.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 12:05 PM   #222
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Yeah yeah... I know.... The light is on the way. The stupid thing broke last week and I ordered one right away it just isn't here yet. FWIW I don't think he was looking out for my safety as it wasn't a casual "hey you should really think about getting a headlight dude".... it was pretty snarky.

And just to reiterate it wasn't a partially lit path I was on... it was very brightly lit, even at 5:45 in the morning. Him not seeing me had nothing to do with my lack of a headlight and everything with him not paying attention.

My problem with the situation was that he was super quick to offer some "advice" to me, while not 4 seconds earlier he blew through a red stop light and a stop sign to get to the point where our paths intersected.

I've just got no tollerance for hypocracy.

Good call on the toe covers, it was my toes that were the most cold now that I think about it.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 01:03 PM   #223
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Add a frame pump to your list of things to buy. Sounds like the guy could have used one in his spokes!

I ride in the winter with toe covers, and a plastic sandwich bag over my normal summer socks. Works just fine for anything down to about 20 degrees. Below that and I'll just sit inside and drink beer.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 01:57 PM   #224
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
Went for a ride this morning... pretty chilly at about 50F, but I had arm and leg warmers so it wasn't too bad. Though I think I'm going to get to invest in some full-fingered gloves and some thicker socks for these cooler mornings.

On a semi related noted I got yelled at (really bitchy like) by some asshole that I should "get a light". I believe he was referring to a headlight, because I did have a functioning tail light at the time. I was at the top (coming down) of a small hill and he was on the street heading perpendicular to my direction.. I saw him way before he saw me, so I think it was just a knee jerk reaction by him.

I actually do have a headlight, but it's broken (new one due in early next week), but damn. I was on a MUP that was fully lit and he was on a street (fully lit). I was a good 40-50 yards out and rapidly slowing down because he (the asshole rider) had rolled through a stop sign that crosses the MUP I was on... and he yells at me? I mean why all the hostility? It was 5:45 in the morning for God's sake.

For a second it seemed like he was waiting on me at the bottom of the hill so he could "tell me all about it", but as I was coming down I think he realized that I was about 3x his size and started to quickly ride off.... Apparently my 6' 3" 260lb frame (built like a line-backer) fully wrapped in Lycra is pretty scary sight.. haha.

Why are some riders like this? IMO there is no grey area with cyclists... they are either cool as fuck, or are complete stuck up, uber competitive douche nozzles with insane napoleon complexes coupled with some major entitlement issues.
WOW that guy is a jerk he could of easily said hey dude you should get a light. i mean yea he was right you need a light but he didnt have to come off like that. that is a easy way to get punched in the cock holster. i wish people would be careful about how they say things to people. something little as that is a easy way to come close to losing your life. imagine if you had a short temper. i dont know about him but i dont think i could hanlde a punch from man of your size. hahahaha/
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 02:00 PM   #225
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACSTER View Post
I bought a Specialized Allez Elite 09 last year for almost half off.

That would match perfectly with the new 997.2 RS
      09-18-2010, 12:51 AM   #226
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
ok i got my computer working but my pedal is still messed up. so i will have to send them back in and wait for new ones....
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 08:11 AM   #227
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopealle View Post
ok i got my computer working but my pedal is still messed up. so i will have to send them back in and wait for new ones....

Which screws are you having problems with...? The tension screws?

You can't get the pedals mounted?
you can't get your shoe to clip in?
You can't get your shoe to clip out?

or?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #228
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Are they the pedals in the original pictures you posed of your bike? Black plastic pedals with cages?

If so, I have a pair that came with my bike (used for my test ride) that are just collecting dust in the garage. If you want them they are yours, just pm your address to me. I can get them in Mondays mail.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 08:18 PM   #229
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Which screws are you having problems with...? The tension screws?

You can't get the pedals mounted?
you can't get your shoe to clip in?
You can't get your shoe to clip out?

or?
im not sure which screw is which. i will post a picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
Are they the pedals in the original pictures you posed of your bike? Black plastic pedals with cages?

If so, I have a pair that came with my bike (used for my test ride) that are just collecting dust in the garage. If you want them they are yours, just pm your address to me. I can get them in Mondays mail.
they are these:

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...2_10000_200435

i will definitely take those pedals of you though. i tossed my old pedals.

the third picture is the screw thats wont screw in. the other pedal is perfect though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 08:44 PM   #230
Feyd
Major
Rep

So the screw (post) that screws into your crank arm is messed up?

If so you might need to take the pedal out and have someone chase the thread (bike shop).
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 09:03 PM   #231
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Just to verify and I know this is a basic question. Is it realized that the left pedal is reversed threaded?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 09:05 PM   #232
scalbert
Major General
Rep

But from the pics, I am not seeing the issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 12:00 AM   #233
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
So the screw (post) that screws into your crank arm is messed up?

If so you might need to take the pedal out and have someone chase the thread (bike shop).
Im not really sure why it wont screw in. Im assuming this is the screw that keeps you cleats locked in. When I start pedaling the rubber part of the pedal starts coming off.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 09:35 PM   #234
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Well my friends I got my new pedals, this time I went for the silver ones. I think they accent the bike very nicely. I guess I am going for the silver & black theme. I think next week I will buy some lights so I can ride early or late in the day. Thank you all for you help.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 12:47 AM   #235
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Gentlemen what happen nobody rides anymore? Well I went on a ride today and let me say I felt like I was learning how to ride all over again. First I get out on the road and pull into the gas station for some ice and i can't release from the pedals and fall over. Most would be embarassed and what not but I didnt care. So I get my ice and i'm riding for a little bit and im making my rounds around the city. So i'm passing my McDonalds and they are doing a high school car wash. So i'm passing and some stupid slore cuts me off and I fall off. I get up and i'm like WTF! I go to the girl and i'm hey you didn't see me? Big black guy on black bike. You can't miss me.So she is apologizing and what not and i'm like its ok be careful and blah blah blah. So xome of here friends come up to me like they are gonna jump me. I'm like man I know these little MF'ers don't think they gonna jump me. So the most awesome thing happens. One of the kids parents comes up and right in the back of the head. It was so awesome. The dad was like who the hell are you talking to? You better learn to respect your elders. I explain the situation to the guy because it was the girls dad too. He apologized and asked me if I needed any medical attention. So that was my day and ride. Although my hands are killing me now. It's all good though I will go to the TMC (Troop Medical Clinic) tomorrow and have them check it out.

Deaon
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 09:23 AM   #236
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Dang, my 28 mile ride Wednesday night was uneventful.

Got a sprint tri this Sunday but it is only a 13 mile ride out at Lake Lanier; that is defintiely a sprint.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #237
Feyd
Major
Rep

I've been riding!

Just too cold to type about it when I get back afterward.. LOL.

At least you got some respect after the fall, etc. Most of the time people are oblivious that they actually did something/don't care enough to stop. Or you do fall and before speeding off they yell at you because it was your fault.

Thankfully my rides have been uneventful as well.

Be safe out there... especially since it is staying dark longer/getting dark earlier.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 02:16 AM   #238
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
Dang, my 28 mile ride Wednesday night was uneventful.

Got a sprint tri this Sunday but it is only a 13 mile ride out at Lake Lanier; that is defintiely a sprint.
I will be going on a ride again long as my hands don't hurt me to bad.

Quote:
I've been riding!

Just too cold to type about it when I get back afterward.. LOL.

At least you got some respect after the fall, etc. Most of the time people are oblivious that they actually did something/don't care enough to stop. Or you do fall and before speeding off they yell at you because it was your fault.

Thankfully my rides have been uneventful as well.

Be safe out there... especially since it is staying dark longer/getting dark earlier.
Well it's good to know you guys are riding.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #239
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieicholtz View Post
oh nice I live right outside of Winter Park
used to live down there as well. you guys ever catch a pint at the Fiddler's Green?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 11:56 AM   #240
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Just to verify and I know this is a basic question. Is it realized that the left pedal is reversed threaded?
yeah, i'm seconding this. the left side pedal is always reverse threaded so if you've been doing righty-tighty then that explains it.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 07:47 PM   #241
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I will be going on a ride again long as my hands don't hurt me to bad.
Let us know how it goes. As the saying goes "just get back in the saddle".

My tri was great this morning even though it was a short ride. I was fearing with the cold spell we have had it was going to make the transition from the swim to the bike awful. But it wasn't an issue and I was able to average 21.1 MPH on the rolling hills near Lake Lanier. And that includes the mount and dismount time in and out of transition.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #242
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
used to live down there as well. you guys ever catch a pint at the Fiddler's Green?
I haven't been down there in like a 2 years. I'm assuming Fiddlers Green is a pub?

I should actually be down that way in the middle of next month.

Quote:
Let us know how it goes. As the saying goes "just get back in the saddle".

My tri was great this morning even though it was a short ride. I was fearing with the cold spell we have had it was going to make the transition from the swim to the bike awful. But it wasn't an issue and I was able to average 21.1 MPH on the rolling hills near Lake Lanier. And that includes the mount and dismount time in and out of transition.
Well I made an attempt to ride. I made it about 5 miles and couldn'ttake the pain anymore. I will try again on tuesday.
Appreciate 0