BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Got My Production Number, but...

10-18-2021, 03:16 PM   #89
HokieBeemer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
WooHoo!!!!

My car's status just changed to "Awaiting carrier assignment - A carrier has been assigned to take care of your BMW.".

Not sure if that means I can get the name of the ship or not, but I'll be checking to see if I can get it.
That's great news! Mine went to Awaiting Carrier Assignment on Friday. It will be interesting to see who get's their vehicle first. Mine is going to Baltimore, yours through the canal. But depending on which dealers are getting more vehicles, I could see you getting a ship first.

I will continue to keep you updated on my status changes.

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 03:21 PM   #90
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieBeemer View Post
That's great news! Mine went to Awaiting Carrier Assignment on Friday. It will be interesting to see who get's their vehicle first. Mine is going to Baltimore, yours through the canal. But depending on which dealers are getting more vehicles, I could see you getting a ship first.

I will continue to keep you updated on my status changes.

The last BMW I ordered (my 435i in 2013) the ship set outside the entrance to the canal for over a week before it was able to start its passage to the Pacific. I'm betting you will get yours first.

I'll keep posting my status too.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 07:36 PM   #91
mdoneinvt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40I

So glad yours turned up too. Not sure how to find out what boat yours will be on. My salesman let me know the day it updated on the site with the boat name. It is on its way now to Halifax in Nova Scotia. Dues to arrive on the 22nd and supposedly arriving the 23 in New Jersey. I think it will be behind by a few days. With some good luck maybe mid to end of the week next week. I won’t really get excited until I see it assigned a carrier and know it’s headed to my dealer. But it is getting close and even though the weather is turning cold. I should have some time to enjoy it.

Quote:
WooHoo!!!!

My car's status just changed to "Awaiting carrier assignment - A carrier has been assigned to take care of your BMW.".

Not sure if that means I can get the name of the ship or not, but I'll be checking to see if I can get it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 07:42 PM   #92
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Congrats
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 09:02 PM   #93
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoneinvt View Post
So glad yours turned up too. Not sure how to find out what boat yours will be on. My salesman let me know the day it updated on the site with the boat name. It is on its way now to Halifax in Nova Scotia. Dues to arrive on the 22nd and supposedly arriving the 23 in New Jersey. I think it will be behind by a few days. With some good luck maybe mid to end of the week next week. I won’t really get excited until I see it assigned a carrier and know it’s headed to my dealer. But it is getting close and even though the weather is turning cold. I should have some time to enjoy it.
It won't be long for you now!

Do you know at which port the ship picked up your car? I want to see if I can find a ship that is at that port or heading to it which has plans to go to Long Beach.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 09:05 PM   #94
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post
Congrats
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 09:49 PM   #95
Horseman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Glad that a carrier assignment has been made. It'll be SOON!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 10:07 PM   #96
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
Glad that a carrier assignment has been made. It'll be SOON!!!
Just in time for the snow in Colorado.

I'm just glad they found my car!
Appreciate 1
Horseman4113.50
      10-19-2021, 08:09 AM   #97
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just in time for the snow in Colorado.

I'm just glad they found my car!
Me too. Its so strange i get a little bit of anxiety for the people getting their cars here. lol

Like.. I wasn't supposed to get my car until after TAZ007, but when he was supposed to take delivery i was on pins and needles hoping to hear the good news that day. Then he got delayed. I was super excited to see Kwajtrader pick his up at the PDC.

So.. seeing that yours disappeared for awhile.. oh man.. that had my anxiety up every time I saw your post. So yes.. very very glad that they found it and you have eyes on it again. Hopefully under your butt real soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 08:26 AM   #98
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Me too. Its so strange i get a little bit of anxiety for the people getting their cars here. lol

Like.. I wasn't supposed to get my car until after TAZ007, but when he was supposed to take delivery i was on pins and needles hoping to hear the good news that day. Then he got delayed. I was super excited to see Kwajtrader pick his up at the PDC.

So.. seeing that yours disappeared for awhile.. oh man.. that had my anxiety up every time I saw your post. So yes.. very very glad that they found it and you have eyes on it again. Hopefully under your butt real soon.
Reading all of the posts like this and being aware of the the chip shortages causing major issues with their production was one of the main reasons why I told my salesman I would not place an order from the factory and that if he wanted me as a customer he should make a trade with another dealer. Luckily we have a great relationship, I was a repeat customer and he had obtained a 228i for my wife by doing a swap earlier in the year.

He worked his butt off to locate a Z4 in the colors and with all of the packages I really wanted. The only package I didn't get and would have considered if I had placed a factory order is the Active Cruise Control which costs $1200. Otherwise the car has everything I really wanted. We made our deal in August and if it had been a month later I probably would have been SOL as inventory has dried up and is pretty scarce.
Appreciate 1
Horseman4113.50
      10-19-2021, 08:37 AM   #99
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Just sit down and take deep breaths.

I know your feelings as I have been following several others who are waiting for their cars.
Appreciate 1
Horseman4113.50
      10-19-2021, 08:38 AM   #100
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
Reading all of the posts like this and being aware of the the chip shortages causing major issues with their production was one of the main reasons why I told my salesman I would not place an order from the factory and that if he wanted me as a customer he should make a trade with another dealer. Luckily we have a great relationship, I was a repeat customer and he had obtained a 228i for my wife by doing a swap earlier in the year.

He worked his butt off to locate a Z4 in the colors and with all of the packages I really wanted. The only package I didn't get and would have considered if I had placed a factory order is the Active Cruise Control which costs $1200. Otherwise the car has everything I really wanted. We made our deal in August and if it had been a month later I probably would have been SOL as inventory has dried up and is pretty scarce.
Glad that you were able to do that. It certainly makes a difference. It is nice to be able to say that I have a "custom" Z4, but ... yeah the chip shortage made things so difficult for many. I was saying before that I actually wanted the upgraded radio, but I decided against the executive package, not paying attention to the fact that the HK system wasn't in Premium. HOWEVER.. that allowed me to get my car sooner (which was genuinely more important as I was down to one car at the time)

There just wasn't enough inventory here in Texas to be able to do that trade. Not sure if they would have actually pulled something from anywhere else, and it didn't seem like they were even willing to do that at all. If the stars were in a little more alignment, I would have liked to get one that I drove from CarMax had everything I wanted in it, but just a little out of what I was able to pay.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2021, 08:40 AM   #101
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just sit down and take deep breaths.

I know your feelings as I have been following several others who are waiting for their cars.
Does your dealer's salesperson provide any anxiety medication for people stressing out over these delays?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 08:42 AM   #102
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I had the same concerns and did a lot of research where I found out that BMW was having less of an issue with chip shortages than the US manufactures. I also tried to find a car at other dealers, but there were not many and none were even close to my build. Since I tend to keep cars for a long time (note the M Roadster in my signature) I didn't want to compromise on my build so I just took a deep breath and ordered it.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2021, 08:43 AM   #103
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Glad that you were able to do that. It certainly makes a difference. It is nice to be able to say that I have a "custom" Z4, but ... yeah the chip shortage made things so difficult for many. I was saying before that I actually wanted the upgraded radio, but I decided against the executive package, not paying attention to the fact that the HK system wasn't in Premium. HOWEVER.. that allowed me to get my car sooner (which was genuinely more important as I was down to one car at the time)

There just wasn't enough inventory here in Texas to be able to do that trade. Not sure if they would have actually pulled something from anywhere else, and it didn't seem like they were even willing to do that at all. If the stars were in a little more alignment, I would have liked to get one that I drove from CarMax had everything I wanted in it, but just a little out of what I was able to pay.
At the end of the day you can rationalize your purchase and say to yourself that you are now behind the wheel of a beautiful car!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 08:45 AM   #104
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
At the end of the day you can rationalize your purchase and say to yourself that you are now behind the wheel of a beautiful car!!!
That's for damn sure. The broken necks as I drive around the city are a testament to that.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2021, 08:52 AM   #105
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I had the same concerns and did a lot of research where I found out that BMW was having less of an issue with chip shortages than the US manufactures. I also tried to find a car at other dealers, but there were not many and none were even close to my build. Since I tend to keep cars for a long time (note the M Roadster in my signature) I didn't want to compromise on my build so I just took a deep breath and ordered it.
I know the feeling as I am also a person that likes to keep cars for a long time. I had a 1994 325i convertible that I kept for 7 years and also a Mercedes 2004 CLK500 convertible that I kept until this year.

Also I think that in certain regions the dealers have more inventory on models like this available than others. In Florida the larger dealers tend to place orders on spec just to have a good flow of inventory as they know they will easily sell convertibles based on their customer base.

Last edited by Westside Guy; 10-19-2021 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 08:54 AM   #106
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's for damn sure. The broken necks as I drive around the city are a testament to that.
We are living the dream!!!
Appreciate 1
Horseman4113.50
      10-19-2021, 10:50 AM   #107
mdoneinvt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40I

I assume it was picked up at Bremerhaven port in Germany. I think they get trucked from the factory to there.

Quote:
It won't be long for you now!

Do you know at which port the ship picked up your car? I want to see if I can find a ship that is at that port or heading to it which has plans to go to Long Beach.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 12:15 PM   #108
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
I assume it was picked up at Bremerhaven port in Germany. I think they get trucked from the factory to there.
That is correct sir.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 12:23 PM   #109
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! Doesn't look like there are any ships there now that show any US west coast destinations.

The Genius folks said I should get a ship name in a few days. From past experience that could mean a few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 09:44 AM   #110
HokieBeemer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post
That is correct sir.
Really? It leaves from Bremerhaven? I would have thought they would go to the nearest port near Croatia since that's a shorter haul? That's interesting. Must be because Germany and Austria have a better customs relationship with each other than with Croatia.

Anyway, good to know that it's Bremerhaven that it goes through. I'll just be glad when it's on the boat.
Appreciate 0