BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum TPMS

12-01-2021, 10:00 AM   #1
Yamatokh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW Z4 M40i

TPMS

Hi

The Z4 in Thailand does not come with factory installed TPMS. The only warning it has is by detecting the tire rotation difference and notify if rotation counts are different between tires. But I want the factory TPMS that displays tire pressure and temperature of each individual wheels.

I have asked the product manager of local BMW, and he ensure me that BMW Thailand cannot help me install a factory (or OEM) TPMS. Therefore I am on my own to find out how to install it and make it work with the iDrive system.

From my research, the BMW TPMS equipped cars need to have a tire pressure RDC control unit. This unit receives the signals from each sensor installed in the wheel, and display the data onto the iDrive screen. While the sensors in the wheels isn't necessary to be an OEM, this RDC control unit does need to be an OEM.

My question is, if my car doesn't come with factory TPMS system, will it by any chance a RDC control unit has already been installed onto the car somewhere? (it may sound not making any sense, but this was the case to my 220i (F22) back in 2016, after coding the TPMS starts working, hence the system was already installed onto the car from factory but just not activated). How do I find out about it? If the car doesn't already come with the RDC control unit, can I install it afterwards?

If any one has any knowledge on this, please kindly give me you guidance on how to do or what to purchase, in order to have a TPMS working with the iDrive system.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 02:48 PM   #2
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Not an answer but maybe a start:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...b#post26599446

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1661189

Fairly certain SA code for factory equipment you're asking about is 2VB.

https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/search/...ce/60524/S2VBA

Last edited by BMWGirlFL; 12-01-2021 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
Yamatokh142.00
      12-01-2021, 03:20 PM   #3
MarkB01
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 G29

Garage List
I can say, I'm currently appreciating my TPMS. I have a slow leak it rear right tire. Haven't had time to fix it yet but I really appreciate the real time tracking.
Current Cars - 2021 Z4 M40i and X3 30e (wifes car)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 07:56 AM   #4
Yamatokh
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Not an answer but maybe a start:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...b#post26599446

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1661189

Fairly certain SA code for factory equipment you're asking about is 2VB.

https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/search/...ce/60524/S2VBA
Thanks for the links. They helped me understand how this system works and give me a direction to look into.

One question: In these discussions, someone mentioned that if the valve cover is metal, that means it's has the TPMS sensors. If the valve cover is rubber, then it's not. Can anyone confirm if it's true? Because I recall my valve cover is metal.

Any input on this is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 08:40 AM   #5
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamatokh View Post
Thanks for the links. They helped me understand how this system works and give me a direction to look into.

One question: In these discussions, someone mentioned that if the valve cover is metal, that means it's has the TPMS sensors. If the valve cover is rubber, then it's not. Can anyone confirm if it's true? Because I recall my valve cover is metal.

Any input on this is greatly appreciated.
THINK Bimmercat shows 2 sensor types SA 876 (Radio/TPM 315 MHz) & SA 2VB (RDC 433 MHz) and different valve related parts. Suggest trying online VIN decoder or asking store for equipment list with SA codes to confirm what you've got.

I think you're saying you have something but not sure if you're describing no display or limited info display.

Last edited by BMWGirlFL; 12-02-2021 at 08:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 10:04 AM   #6
Yamatokh
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
THINK Bimmercat shows 2 sensor types SA 876 (Radio/TPM 315 MHz) & SA 2VB (RDC 433 MHz) and different valve related parts. Suggest trying online VIN decoder or asking store for equipment list with SA codes to confirm what you've got.

I think you're saying you have something but not sure if you're describing no display or limited info display.
Hi BMWGirlFL

Thanks for the quick reply and intention of help. After read through more and done some research, now I confirm that I do not have the TPMS pre-installed on my car. To safe trouble, I will try to find a local shop who can do it for me (install sensor and code for me).

Thanks again for all of your help.

Kevin
Appreciate 1
BMWGirlFL6232.50