BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Honest Quality Question

10-24-2021, 03:10 PM   #23
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
I had an E92 and an F30 3-series before the Z4. I think the Z4 is at least as good as those cars were in build quality - the materials are well made and assembled. The door closing sound is especially solid. I don't have any complaints.

Charles
      10-25-2021, 07:11 AM   #24
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

Unpopular opinion:

I would never own any BMW as my main vehicle.
I love them but honestly if you just need a reliable car that goes when you push the button with a minimum of drama and cost, German cars in general are not the way to go.

Its Ironic that with my 135i convertible I would go on the message boards here and identify exactly what will go wrong and roughly when. My repair history was exactly like everyone else's. Except my issues happened about 10k miles before everyone else's even though I baby the car. Oil filter housing gasket (40k), water pump (50k), charge pipe (70k), etc.

Though I got a $1k back from BMW years later on the water pump because of a class action lawsuit (e.g. $1800 water pumps shouldn't go at 50k miles).
That doesn't include the other stuff I couldn't predict from the owners group here (like the entire main computer failure).

So my friend bought a new X5 a couple years ago and I figured they probably got better since my 135i. Seems doubtful though.
Carplay was not working from day 1.
A new alternator at less than 2 years (she doesn't put a lot of miles on the car either). And as I type this its in the shop for carplay issues again and "something" is leaking that needs to be repaired and of course its still in the shop waiting for whatever part it needs. All covered under warranty except the tires she needs at 34k miles.

Luckily like me she has other cars to drive because at least at the dealerships around here you need to book service at least a month in advance if you want a loaner, at that was before Covid.

My cousin who always owns nice sports cars was driving an M3 and recently I saw him diving something else and said where's the M3? He said he traded it in because there's no way he's owning that thing out of warranty. So take that for what its worth.

Reliability and quality are subjective. If you normally drive German cars and are accustom to paying thousands of dollars on repairs once or twice a year then you won't really have issues with owning one. But if you come from owning Hondas and Toyotas you might be a little surprised.

And don't confuse "build quality" with "reliability"; they are very different things. A car that "feels solid and well built" (which BMW's do) doesn't mean it will run forever with little cost or maintenance (they won't).

So if you plan on just leasing it for 3 years you will likely have some [hopefully] minor issues but at least they'll be covered by warranty so go for it.

But beyond 50k miles you need to be prepared for repairs that will be pricy.
That's why they are better as second or third cars.

All this said I still nearly bought a Z4 M440 when Covid hit and I chickened out. And as it turns out I'm working from home forever now so hardly driving anymore so probably best I didn't spend $70k on a car that I will hardly use.
But I still want one ;-)
      10-25-2021, 08:21 AM   #25
HokieBeemer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm3 View Post
Unpopular opinion:

I would never own any BMW as my main vehicle.
I love them but honestly if you just need a reliable car that goes when you push the button with a minimum of drama and cost, German cars in general are not the way to go.

Its Ironic that with my 135i convertible I would go on the message boards here and identify exactly what will go wrong and roughly when. My repair history was exactly like everyone else's. Except my issues happened about 10k miles before everyone else's even though I baby the car. Oil filter housing gasket (40k), water pump (50k), charge pipe (70k), etc.

Though I got a $1k back from BMW years later on the water pump because of a class action lawsuit (e.g. $1800 water pumps shouldn't go at 50k miles).
That doesn't include the other stuff I couldn't predict from the owners group here (like the entire main computer failure).

So my friend bought a new X5 a couple years ago and I figured they probably got better since my 135i. Seems doubtful though.
Carplay was not working from day 1.
A new alternator at less than 2 years (she doesn't put a lot of miles on the car either). And as I type this its in the shop for carplay issues again and "something" is leaking that needs to be repaired and of course its still in the shop waiting for whatever part it needs. All covered under warranty except the tires she needs at 34k miles.

Luckily like me she has other cars to drive because at least at the dealerships around here you need to book service at least a month in advance if you want a loaner, at that was before Covid.

My cousin who always owns nice sports cars was driving an M3 and recently I saw him diving something else and said where's the M3? He said he traded it in because there's no way he's owning that thing out of warranty. So take that for what its worth.

Reliability and quality are subjective. If you normally drive German cars and are accustom to paying thousands of dollars on repairs once or twice a year then you won't really have issues with owning one. But if you come from owning Hondas and Toyotas you might be a little surprised.

And don't confuse "build quality" with "reliability"; they are very different things. A car that "feels solid and well built" (which BMW's do) doesn't mean it will run forever with little cost or maintenance (they won't).

So if you plan on just leasing it for 3 years you will likely have some [hopefully] minor issues but at least they'll be covered by warranty so go for it.

But beyond 50k miles you need to be prepared for repairs that will be pricy.
That's why they are better as second or third cars.

All this said I still nearly bought a Z4 M440 when Covid hit and I chickened out. And as it turns out I'm working from home forever now so hardly driving anymore so probably best I didn't spend $70k on a car that I will hardly use.
But I still want one ;-)
Thanks, that's exactly the information I was looking for. And I totally agree on your point that quality and reliability aren't the same. My plan is to purchase this vehicle, own it for as long as the warranty is good then decide to keep it or not based on how it performed the previous three or so years under warranty.

It is very surprising that the German cars aren't as reliable as the Japanese cars. I've always owned Infinitis and Acuras and I simply never have problems with them. Ever. But my friends who have owned BMWs seem to be always fighting some little thing. Oh well, it's going to be under warranty, it's my fun car not my primary car so I'm going to give it a shot and see how it goes.

Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 11:53 AM   #26
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
I've had zero issues with my BMW (or prior BMW's). OTOH, We had to return our 2021 Land Rover Sport and picked up an Audi SQ8 instead and while it's been OK, twice the infotainment centre has given us the "black screen of death"......necessitating several shut downs and restarts to get back going.

No vehicles are infallable but I have no concerns about the Z4

Dave
Appreciate 2
      10-25-2021, 12:24 PM   #27
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
But I still want one ;-)
I am glad that you are keeping a open mind about the Z4, I am totally enjoying mine and having more fun with it the any other car I have ever owned!

Appreciate 1
      10-25-2021, 01:22 PM   #28
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
I too am having a blast with this car. I dare say it's more fun than my M235 vert and a little bit ahead of my 350Z Performance.
Appreciate 2
      10-25-2021, 01:30 PM   #29
Horseman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
After driving the M440i and my Z4 30i. I still feel my 30i is quicker and more responsive steering.
Appreciate 2
      10-25-2021, 02:19 PM   #30
Combatcrew2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamatokh View Post
I had my M40i since July. No issue except the windshield wiper shake/jump/judder when moving over the windscreen. If I inject some window washing fluid, than it's smooth for about 3-5 wipes, then it starts again.

It's so serious to a point that I consider it's not safe to drive in the rain. I have made an appointment with the dealer to see if they have solutions.

Other than that, this car is perfect! No issues and drives very well.
Yes mine did the same for a little while, it actually does settle down after it has been used for a while. Here in the UK the wipers do get used regularly.
Appreciate 2
      10-25-2021, 03:12 PM   #31
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatcrew2 View Post
Yes mine did the same for a little while, it actually does settle down after it has been used for a while. Here in the UK the wipers do get used regularly.
Mine also did that and yes it does settle down. It was concerning for a bit.
Appreciate 2
      10-25-2021, 03:27 PM   #32
Living Dead
Zed Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
I have 19,000 on my 2020 M40i, not one problem, the car is solid as a rock, having a blast with it.
Appreciate 3
      10-25-2021, 04:04 PM   #33
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Being Japanese doesn't make a car immune to issues either; we've had more issues with our Mazda than our BMW's.......and our Toyota isn't imune either.

https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1732545

Dave
Appreciate 2
      10-25-2021, 04:08 PM   #34
OmegaSupreme74
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieBeemer View Post
My vehicle status is currently in “Awaiting Carrier Assignment”. I’m excited to take possession but it’s a lot of money.

Can anyone speak to the quality they have experienced? I understand that from a performance and looks point of view the Z4 (G29) is second to none, but has anyone had any quality issues?

Are you happy with the quality?

I think my M40i has been the best car purchase hands down for overal fit, finish, and wow factor hands down! You will be very pleased!
Appreciate 3
      10-25-2021, 04:14 PM   #35
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
Being Japanese doesn't make a car immune to issues either; we've had more issues with our Mazda than our BMW's.......and our Toyota isn't imune either.

https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1732545

Dave
and ... this BMW was developed with Toyota.
Appreciate 4
TAZ0071845.00
JLZ464.00
      10-25-2021, 04:57 PM   #36
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
I pulled alongside a new Supra a few weeks ago and the driver remarked that we were 1st cousins!
Appreciate 4
BMWGirlFL6232.50
JLZ464.00
      10-25-2021, 06:35 PM   #37
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
I pulled alongside a new Supra a few weeks ago and the driver remarked that we were 1st cousins!
Hope it wasn't kissing cousins.
Appreciate 2
JLZ464.00
      10-26-2021, 07:43 AM   #38
HokieBeemer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
That is a great point!

I'm looking forward to my first BMW. If it ever actually gets onto the boat.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 08:24 AM   #39
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieBeemer View Post
Thanks, that's exactly the information I was looking for. And I totally agree on your point that quality and reliability aren't the same. My plan is to purchase this vehicle, own it for as long as the warranty is good then decide to keep it or not based on how it performed the previous three or so years under warranty.

It is very surprising that the German cars aren't as reliable as the Japanese cars. I've always owned Infinitis and Acuras and I simply never have problems with them. Ever. But my friends who have owned BMWs seem to be always fighting some little thing. Oh well, it's going to be under warranty, it's my fun car not my primary car so I'm going to give it a shot and see how it goes.

Thanks for the info.
If you realistically will likely get rid of it after 3 years then you might be better off just leasing.

BMW's and the like tend to lose quite a bit of value once the warranty is up because the cost of maintaining them is so high after 50k miles or so.

Also while this was developed with Toyota that didn't stop them from having to recall the initial Z4's for an entire new engine replacement.

The Z4 s a great car especially for the performance and cost but don't expect Honda/Toyota maintenance costs.
For example at 50k on my 135i I put an $1800 water pump on it.
I've owned Japanese cars for 150k miles and probably haven't put $1800 in actual repairs into them over the entire 150k.
      10-26-2021, 08:40 AM   #40
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Also while this was developed with Toyota that didn't stop them from having to recall the initial Z4's for an entire new engine replacement.
Z4 Recall Information:
2019:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/BMW/Z4/C/RWD#recalls
2020:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2020/BMW/Z4/C/RWD#recalls

Your allegation appears to be unfounded. Please provide authority for your claim.

It's my understanding that used car values are unusually high now as a result of some pandemic. Maybe an opportunity to exchange your BMW for a Japanese brand?
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2021, 09:01 AM   #41
JLZ4
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 20i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
Stopping at an intersection recently, there was a Supra just in front of me and in the next lane. While we were waiting for the lights, I saw the driver hold up his phone to take a photo of my Z4 in the reflection of his side mirror

Back to OP's question - I've had my Z4 for one year now and I've been very happy. I've found it to be a great all-rounder: fun to drive, thoughtfully designed in every way (one of the most practical roadsters on the market IMO), and luxuriously finished. Everything looks and feels rock solid both inside and outside. My mileage is still very low, but no problems or gremlins so far. Time will tell.

I bought the Z4 after considering many other options and on the strong recommendation of my cousin, a very knowledgeable car fanatic who has owned a vast array of luxury cars over many years and test driven many more. The makes he and his parents have owned include BMW (i8, M2 and at least two others), Maserati, Porsche, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, etc. Yet he was seriously impressed with the Z4 20i which he test drove!

He finally bit the bullet and bought a manual 20i this year. I joked to him that we are now cousins in blood and in car Our uncle is also a proud Z4 owner (E85). I wish I could do Z4 roadtrips and photoshoots with them. We would make such a striking fleet - Misano Blue G29 (me), San Francisco Red G29 (cousin) and Space Grey E85 (uncle). Alas, we live on three different continents..!
Appreciate 2
BMWGirlFL6232.50
Geradeaus375.50
      10-26-2021, 09:08 AM   #42
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

I traded out of a 100% reliable Lexus RX350 into a X5 because I hated the aggressive look of the Lexus/Toyota's now and that stupid looking "I'm going to eat you" grill.

At age 72 I've been thru a dozen Japanese cars and pickup trucks - Toyota, Mazda, Honda, and Lexus and never done much more to them than change the oil and wiper blades, seriously. NEVER had a repair issue requiring a mechanic's attention.

Having said that BMW is in a different league when compared to any of them. Just wish the reliability track record was up there with the Japs engineering.

Last edited by Mixitt; 11-17-2021 at 07:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 09:21 AM   #43
spbonzo
Rep
Drives: Z4 G29

I agree with the German v Japanese quality comparison. In my experience German cars have always 'felt' better built and sturdier but Japanese cars are generally more reliable. I sat in a new Toyota RAV4 last year which had a £40k+ purchase price and was amazed as to how flimsy the doors and console fittings were. The same fittings in my G29 are rock solid.

But, having owned six Japanese and seven German cars it's the latter that have had to spend more time in the garage for varying issues. Dash\fitting rattles have been noticeably worse in the German cars along with various electrical\console problems.

Having said that I've preferred my German cars in that I feel a sense of occasion and performance that excites me far more than the more reliable Japanese cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 10:00 AM   #44
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I already know that my Honda will last a loooot longer than my Z4. But the Z4 feels sturdier, better materials and overall better feel.
Appreciate 0