Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm3 View Post

The Z4 s a great car especially for the performance and cost but don't expect Honda/Toyota maintenance costs.
For example at 50k on my 135i I put an $1800 water pump on it.
I've owned Japanese cars for 150k miles and probably haven't put $1800 in actual repairs into them over the entire 150k.
Pretty small sample size! ;-) ......Our Mazda burns oil and just burned an exhaust valve basically turning it into a giant paperweight at 112,000 miles.....but one or three experiences doesn't make a trend.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 01:21 PM   #46
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Z4 Recall Information:
2019:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/BMW/Z4/C/RWD#recalls
2020:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2020/BMW/Z4/C/RWD#recalls

Your allegation appears to be unfounded. Please provide authority for your claim.
Ummmm... A 5 second search of this site shows this.

https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1704201

Also you can't conflate "solid feel" with overall long term reliability. They are very different things.
My dad had a Benz some years ago.
I was young but it was like driving a bank vault.
Felt like it was carved from a solid piece of steel.
I never drove a car that felt like that before.
It was also ALWAYS in the shop.

Last edited by ejm3; 10-26-2021 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 03:07 PM   #47
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Apparently not even Hondas are immune from having problems: https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/201...ort-block.html

;-)

Dave
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 07:14 PM   #48
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm3 View Post
Ummmm... A 5 second search of this site shows this.

https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1704201
Thank you. Approximately 12 Z4s (30i only) involved.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...9V732-7481.PDF
Appreciate 2
      10-26-2021, 07:45 PM   #49
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Thank you. Approximately 12 Z4s (30i only) involved.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...9V732-7481.PDF
The 330i’s were more affected.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 11:05 AM   #50
Yamatokh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamatokh View Post
No, I haven't tried a new wiper. Since the car is still fairly new, I intended to let the dealer to fix it.

Personally I think it's a wiper issue rather than a motor issue. But I will need to have the dealer check it out and let me know what's causing it.

If any update, I will post here.
Hi guys, I have some update on the wiper issue I had. Long story short, it is fixed.

When I took my car to the dealer this past Saturday, the dealer told me my wiper jumping was caused by the PPF film covering the windshield. The PPF film has too much surface resistance to prevent wiper from traveling smoothly across the windshield. So they help me contact the PPF company (it's the dealer outsourced vendor), and the PPF company proposed a solution by applying a coating on top of the PPF to make the surface slippery. When the job was done, the film surface is much more slippery than before (you can easily tell the difference of before and after, just by touching it with finger).

Guess what, problem solved! The wiper went so quietly and smoothly across the entire windshield surface. Unlike before, the wiper was making terrible rubbing noises when wiping.

Now the question is, how long will this coating last? I have no idea. Would it gradually disappear after a few car washes? I have no idea. If it can last for a month or two, I would be happy. If that's the case, I would consider buy the coating and apply it at home when needed. Will see the long term results, and report back again.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 11:14 AM   #51
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

I'm glad they found out what was causing the problem. My guess is that the more rain you have (I think it rans a lot in Thailand, but don't really know) the more often you would need to replace the coating, if you will be driving in the rain. My thoughts are that the wipers will tend to rub the coating off, so the more the wipers are used, the more often the coating will need to be replaced.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2021, 11:28 AM   #52
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi guys, I have some update on the wiper issue I had. Long story short, it is fixed.

When I took my car to the dealer this past Saturday, the dealer told me my wiper jumping was caused by the PPF film covering the windshield. The PPF film has too much surface resistance to prevent wiper from traveling smoothly across the windshield. So they help me contact the PPF company (it's the dealer outsourced vendor), and the PPF company proposed a solution by applying a coating on top of the PPF to make the surface slippery. When the job was done, the film surface is much more slippery than before (you can easily tell the difference of before and after, just by touching it with finger).

Guess what, problem solved! The wiper went so quietly and smoothly across the entire windshield surface. Unlike before, the wiper was making terrible rubbing noises when wiping.

Now the question is, how long will this coating last? I have no idea. Would it gradually disappear after a few car washes? I have no idea. If it can last for a month or two, I would be happy. If that's the case, I would consider buy the coating and apply it at home when needed. Will see the long term results, and report back again.

Cheers!
Out of curiosity, what brand of PPF did your dealer use?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 01:34 PM   #53
HokieBeemer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i

Quote:

Cheers!
Did your vehicle come with that coating on it or did you have it done yourself? I noticed the same kind of issue when I test drove a Z4, so I'm wondering if they are on all of them?

My vehicle is currently crossing the pond.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 06:57 AM   #54
Horseman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
I was looking at getting this:
https://www.chemicalguys.com/hydrovi...ernal%20Search

I also have the stuttering windshield wipers.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 11:21 AM   #55
Amadeo
Skipper
Spain
Rep
Drives: Bmw g29 z4 sdrive 30i

Garage List
Did you try using cerium oxide?. It will leave a contamination free surface. Its what they use in glass manufacturing to polish glass,mirrors,etc. Then you can use a water repellant or ceramic coating if you wish.
Attached Images

11-16-2021, 08:50 AM   #56
Yamatokh
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieBeemer View Post
Did your vehicle come with that coating on it or did you have it done yourself? I noticed the same kind of issue when I test drove a Z4, so I'm wondering if they are on all of them?

My vehicle is currently crossing the pond.

TIA
Hi, the PPE file was installed by the dealer's subcontract vendor (with a very expensive markup). I decided to install it to protect the windshield from stones.

So it is not a standard option and is likely not on any new cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 08:53 AM   #57
Yamatokh
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
I was looking at getting this:
https://www.chemicalguys.com/hydrovi...ernal%20Search

I also have the stuttering windshield wipers.
No, I haven't tried this yet. Because of the PPF I installed, I thought it's better to let the vendor to tell me what to use, instead of try it on my own and make things worse.

If your windshield doesn't have a PPF, then it's probably worth a try.

Please let us know. Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 08:57 AM   #58
Yamatokh
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
Out of curiosity, what brand of PPF did your dealer use?
I think the brand is LLumar.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 08:59 AM   #59
Yamatokh
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
I'm glad they found out what was causing the problem. My guess is that the more rain you have (I think it rans a lot in Thailand, but don't really know) the more often you would need to replace the coating, if you will be driving in the rain. My thoughts are that the wipers will tend to rub the coating off, so the more the wipers are used, the more often the coating will need to be replaced.
It's quite likely. Lucky that Thailand is going into the dry season soon. Will definitely observe how long the coating last. It's a peace of mind to know that there is a solution to this problem. I am grateful.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2021, 10:21 AM   #60
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Quote:
Hi, the PPE file was installed by the dealer's subcontract vendor (with a very expensive markup). I decided to install it to protect the windshield from stones.

So it is not a standard option and is likely not on any new cars.
Agreed; it's not even legal in some places. Glad you've figured it out but it certainly had nothing to do with BMW quality in this case.

Dave
Appreciate 2
      11-16-2021, 10:26 AM   #61
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
Agreed; it's not even legal in some places. Glad you've figured it out but it certainly had nothing to do with BMW quality in this case.

Dave
When I did allover Xpel PPF my shop advised against doing the windshield.
Appreciate 2
Yamatokh142.00
      11-18-2021, 09:01 AM   #62
Yamatokh
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
When I did allover Xpel PPF my shop advised against doing the windshield.
Thailand is a very free country. You can tinted the windows any ways you want. It's not rare to see some cars with 80% tinted film (20% light through) on the windshield.

With that said, the PPF on the windshield was recommended by the sales. Without much knowledge and experience on the PPF, I decided to give it a try. It did save me from a few occasions, but the stuttering of the windshield wiper was not expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by DPelletier
Agreed, it has nothing to do with BMW quality. I am very satisfy with the quality of my Z4 now!

Cheers!
Appreciate 2
CJ4211444.00
      11-20-2021, 02:51 AM   #63
rikwynnpa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G29 Z4 3.0

This model has had its share of issues

Much as I love my early production 3.0i version there have been a number of Z4 issues with this model that have impacted its quality score:

1. The M40i had stones get stuck in the brake hardware causing grinding or squealing issues
2. The wireless charging pad in all of the cars has given everyone phone overheating problems and it doesnt really charge well either
3. My entire infotainment system didnt work right from day 1 and took 1 year for the dealer to fix. Carplay didn't work right, my head unit was crashing at least once every trip, the car didn't sense my key and when I opened the trunk and the alarm went off about 25% of the time.
4. One of the gaskets fell out of the front distance sensor in the bumper
5. Finally there were little rubber stops in the convertible top that contacted the A pillar to make the top seat properly. Both fell out of my car and the dealer had to replace them both.

Not big things but not things you would see on a Toyota product.

Mechanically the car has been very good. Id say that 90% of my reliability issues were software related which was finally fixed by a new OS reflash this summer.

Quote:
My vehicle status is currently in “Awaiting Carrier Assignment”. I’m excited to take possession but it’s a lot of money.

Can anyone speak to the quality they have experienced? I understand that from a performance and looks point of view the Z4 (G29) is second to none, but has anyone had any quality issues?

Are you happy with the quality?

Appreciate 1
      11-20-2021, 06:44 AM   #64
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

The control unit for the convertible roof on my Z4 failed this past summer and it took over 6 weeks for the replacement to arrive from Germany.

Still missing my Z4..

Rob
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2021, 08:23 AM   #65
HokieBeemer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i

Yikes.

I'm still very surprised that the Germans have such quality issues compared to the Japanese.

I worked for a German company for a while and they are the most incredible engineers and hard workers. Not sure why the build quality isn't as good.

But this stuff isn't anecdotal. Everyone I know who has owned a German car of any kind has had it in the shop for a significant amount of time for many different things.

Of the seven Japanese cars I've owned, only one has broken down and left me stranded and none of them needed a repair before 100,000 miles. That's incredible.

Oh well, that's what warranties are for.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 08:32 AM   #66
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

Quote:
Yikes.

I'm still very surprised that the Germans have such quality issues compared to the Japanese.

I worked for a German company for a while and they are the most incredible engineers and hard workers. Not sure why the build quality isn't as good.

But this stuff isn't anecdotal. Everyone I know who has owned a German car of any kind has had it in the shop for a significant amount of time for many different things.

Of the seven Japanese cars I've owned, only one has broken down and left me stranded and none of them needed a repair before 100,000 miles. That's incredible.

Oh well, that's what warranties are for.
Agree, the Japanese have a reputation for quality control. Guess it's the old Deming principles they learned from us after World War II - constant quality improvements based on inputs from those that build them on the line. I'm an old fart, have owned Honda, Mazda, quite a few Toyota sedans and pickups and Lexus. After many miles the only thing I did to them was the usual maintenance drills like oil and wiper blade changes. They just don't break down.

Reliability reports from owners and published in Consumer Reports bear this fact out too.
Appreciate 1