11-02-2021, 02:03 PM   #46
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [8.00]
That's too bad; I don't/haven't used backup assist but I like the touch screen (got used to having one in my F type). Not getting the HUD would be a real negative to me though it looks like you can still get it on the M40i

Dave
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2021, 02:20 PM   #47
Amadeo
Skipper
Spain
Rep
Drives: Bmw g29 z4 sdrive 30i

Garage List
Alexa can open your garaje door when you get home 😂😂
      11-02-2021, 03:19 PM   #48
HokieBeemer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i

Interestingly enough...if you try to build a Z4 on the BMWUSA website, you can't. My guess is they are updating everything. It's a real shame and I hope it isn't a harbinger of more bad things to come. I can't imagine BMW made this decision if there was even a possibility of the supply chain ramping back up.

We really did a number on our world economy, didn't we?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 06:44 PM   #49
jcard71
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeo View Post
Be careful with the microfiber, it can also scratch the screen if the dust is got sand. Cleaning it first with a brush is safer.
When I clean the inside, I use a brush and a scuba tank which Is good to blow off anything from the carpets, air vents, etc.
3000 psi doesn't live any dust. A 100 psi compressor painting equipment might also work.
Good god 🤓
Appreciate 1
KGun192.00
      11-02-2021, 08:03 PM   #50
mdoneinvt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40I

All models are broken I tried several and none were working. Sounds like site issues I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieBeemer View Post
Interestingly enough...if you try to build a Z4 on the BMWUSA website, you can't. My guess is they are updating everything. It's a real shame and I hope it isn't a harbinger of more bad things to come. I can't imagine BMW made this decision if there was even a possibility of the supply chain ramping back up.

We really did a number on our world economy, didn't we?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 09:39 PM   #51
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoneinvt View Post
All models are broken I tried several and none were working. Sounds like site issues I hope.
I was just able to build a Z4 M40i.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 01:20 AM   #52
pinky2022
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw Z4 M40i

How long is that bs of no touch screen gona last?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 06:24 AM   #53
BRIANXIX
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 30i

My car is still waiting to be built(ordered in Sept). I consider A $500 credit is an insult, simply put BMW need to do more, or lose a customer.

Last edited by BRIANXIX; 11-03-2021 at 07:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 08:39 AM   #54
HokieBeemer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky2022 View Post
How long is that bs of no touch screen gona last?
This is not me saying you are wrong about the touchscreen being deleted from your order, I believe you. But it's so weird that the BMW website still says the sDrive30i and M40i comes with a touchscreen. You would think they would want to clean that up and remove that ASAP.

If you build an 8, it does not have a touchscreen. so they have updated the info on the 8 but not the Z4?

Sounds like a marketing nightmare really.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 08:56 AM   #55
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
This is not me saying you are wrong about the touchscreen being deleted from your order, I believe you. But it's so weird that the BMW website still says the sDrive30i and M40i comes with a touchscreen. You would think they would want to clean that up and remove that ASAP.

If you build an 8, it does not have a touchscreen. so they have updated the info on the 8 but not the Z4?

It is also a communications issue between their manufacturing team and their marketing team.
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2021, 09:30 AM   #56
pinky2022
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIANXIX View Post
My car is still waiting to be built(ordered in Sept). I consider A $500 credit is an insult, simply put BMW need to do more, or lose a customer.

I agree 100%.
I am pissed.

I prefer to wait. Don't build it till u have the part.

Do a raincheck. Install the part later on.

What's next? A 2 cc engine while they are ar it?

Last edited by pinky2022; 11-03-2021 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 09:36 AM   #57
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I agree 100%.
I am pissed.

4 mice on a conveyor belt?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 09:37 AM   #58
Horseman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:

Well... I'd also say they put a priority on the 8 over the Z4 considering the customer they are selling to and the price of the car itself.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 11:32 AM   #59
HokieBeemer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree 100%.
I am pissed.

I tend to agree with you. It's nuts.

It all goes back to the semiconductor shortage. How much longer can it possibly last? Either BMW pulled these options too soon and things will loosen up or...and this is the really bad case, they know that the shortage is here to stay for a long time. Which just boggles the mind. How much damage did we do to our world economy?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 12:25 PM   #60
Living Dead
Zed Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
This chip shortage is affecting everything, two months ago I ordered a new dishwasher it will finally be installed tomorrow, I had to go with a noname brand as all the major brands were on back order until February 2022.

My CPO 2020 M40i has all the options available and the only tech I really use are the auto headlights, apple car play for music, navigation and really my phone for nav an CDs would suffice.

I rarely use the touch screen because of fingerprints, I'd also much rather have an analogue IP as well, the heads up is unreadable during daylight because of my polarized sunglasses and never even tried the self parking, seems way more complicated than just doing it myself.

I turned off the safety nonsense as well because I almost got rear ended when it panic stopped as someone in front of me was making a right into a parking lot, there was no chance of hitting him but the car though otherwise.

The most annoying feature is the auto stop/start, it's very frustrating that the engine shuts off at intersections when you only want a brief stop and then intend to go immediately but the car now has to wake up again and you pray that the turbo kicks in before the guy driving on the cross street hits you which wouldn't have been a problem had the car not just taken a nap.

Maybe I'm just too old for all this tech, my old E85 3.0i had no options other than the power top, upgraded speakers and red leather and the only thing missing was the power of the M40i.
Appreciate 2
      11-07-2021, 04:42 PM   #61
Cliff Bear
Private
Rep
Drives: GLC300, Q8, M4CXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
This chip shortage is affecting everything, two months ago I ordered a new dishwasher it will finally be installed tomorrow, I had to go with a noname brand as all the major brands were on back order until February 2022.

My CPO 2020 M40i has all the options available and the only tech I really use are the auto headlights, apple car play for music, navigation and really my phone for nav an CDs would suffice.

I rarely use the touch screen because of fingerprints, I'd also much rather have an analogue IP as well, the heads up is unreadable during daylight because of my polarized sunglasses and never even tried the self parking, seems way more complicated than just doing it myself.

I turned off the safety nonsense as well because I almost got rear ended when it panic stopped as someone in front of me was making a right into a parking lot, there was no chance of hitting him but the car though otherwise.

The most annoying feature is the auto stop/start, it's very frustrating that the engine shuts off at intersections when you only want a brief stop and then intend to go immediately but the car now has to wake up again and you pray that the turbo kicks in before the guy driving on the cross street hits you which wouldn't have been a problem had the car not just taken a nap.

Maybe I'm just too old for all this tech, my old E85 3.0i had no options other than the power top, upgraded speakers and red leather and the only thing missing was the power of the M40i.
I believe the HUD rotates so that it can be viewed with polarized sunglasses.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 05:22 PM   #62
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bear View Post
I believe the HUD rotates so that it can be viewed with polarized sunglasses.
I know that you can change the positioning of the HUD so this may be correct.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 05:42 PM   #63
Cliff Bear
Private
Rep
Drives: GLC300, Q8, M4CXC

Not to get anyone's hopes up but the Z4 m40i configurator still lists touchscreen as standard whereas most other models have removed it from standard features or qualified that it might not be included. Z4 m40i is such low production. They get a lot more bang for the buck by deleting it from a 50,000 production model (U.S. X5) and they probably don't want to ship some high production models with and some without. That might really anger some folks. As for the HUD, the best sports car manufacturer has never included it - although now you can get it in the Taycan.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 06:57 PM   #64
HokieBeemer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bear View Post
Not to get anyone's hopes up but the Z4 m40i configurator still lists touchscreen as standard whereas most other models have removed it from standard features or qualified that it might not be included. Z4 m40i is such low production. They get a lot more bang for the buck by deleting it from a 50,000 production model (U.S. X5) and they probably don't want to ship some high production models with and some without. That might really anger some folks. As for the HUD, the best sports car manufacturer has never included it - although now you can get it in the Taycan.
You bring up a good point. They make so few of the Z4 how can it possibly make sense to remove it completely from the line. It would make more sense to remove it from something they sell a lot of.

BMW produces and ships 2.3 million vehicles a year, but they are going to fix the shortage problem by removing touchscreens and HUDs from something they make less than 10,000 of a year??

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 09:17 PM   #65
pinky2022
Banned
Rep

Quote:
You bring up a good point. They make so few of the Z4 how can it possibly make sense to remove it completely from the line. It would make more sense to remove it from something they sell a lot of.

BMW produces and ships 2.3 million vehicles a year, but they are going to fix the shortage problem by removing touchscreens and HUDs from something they make less than 10,000 of a year??

I agree. So stupid.
Cut the X3.
Don't cut the HUD or touch screen from i8 for example.
Duh !!!!
Or offer a raincheck to install it next year when they have more.
Hell might have to get one off ebay and install it myself, .... this is stupid
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 10:16 PM   #66
rikwynnpa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G29 Z4 3.0

Likely wont get better for 8 months

I work in the car industry. The microchip supply isnt expected to improve much until mid of next year. BMW is doing the smart thing...keep making the models people want but reduce the options so the assembly line can keep running. Mercedes for example isn't making ANY V8 cars for the rest of 2021 and that has been the case since July. None. The big 3 have removed fuel saving electronics from pick up trucks. People are removing adaptive headlights and premium stereo systems. Jeep is limiting which models and trims can get a V8 engine for MY2022. This is a global crisis. I think we can live without a touch screen for now. Better than not having the car at all!

Quote:
I agree. So stupid.
Cut the X3.
Don't cut the HUD or touch screen from i8 for example.
Duh !!!!
Or offer a raincheck to install it next year when they have more.
Hell might have to get one off ebay and install it myself, .... this is stupid
Appreciate 0