BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Tipping Question

12-09-2021, 08:36 AM   #23
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Sounds like $5 is a cheap price to pay to now know where not to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
I make sure to ALWAYS take the 2nd receipt copy so they can’t fill that one in and toss my original, that’s apparently common.
Ditto. I ALWAYS crumble that thing up and take it with me.

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 08:37 AM   #24
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

This would all be avoided if tipping wasn't a thing, just sayin'.

Whole system is absolute madness, totally crazy way to pay for shit. Whatever happened to 10 to 15% anyway? Now the machine starts at 18%, like fucking really?
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2021, 08:57 AM   #25
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
This isn't about North America or how servers are paid.

This is a weirdness in the US only where you allow people to charge your card after you leave the premise.

In Canada (North America still), this doesn't happen. You get the bill, you tip, you tap your card or insert your card and put your pin, and that is final. There's no way for anyone to charge you after you leave.

In the US many places (if not most) ask you to write down the tip so they can process and charge you after you leave. That is weird and causes this issue represented here.

Luckily this is starting to change I think. Perfect example is the POS systems at the table. No way for them to change anything and the card never leaves your hands.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      12-09-2021, 09:05 AM   #26
LookBothWays
Private
Rep
Drives: Tahoe

What ever happened to the days when the tip was left on the table, an amount dependent on the quality and quantity of service provided?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 09:07 AM   #27
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I find this strange and it's a US thing, no other country in the world does it this way. So I'm always making sure I fill it out so there's no chance for error:
THis is one of those things again, that is a result of the US complicating the simple. The number of banks is absolutely crazy, it will be labelled as "choice" but it is just bonkers, it makes it achingly slow to adopt new tech as the smaller banks don't like to change due costs. So we here and back home in oz have been using PIN cards etc for eons and I go to the US and they still do cheques, like what? You want me to fax it too?

Don't even start me on having to pay for gas before you fill up and it not accepting a card without a US zip code. Like HOW is this a thing in US border towns? Looking at you Port Huron.

I have noticed, just before covid hit and I was last there, things starting to change.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 09:08 AM   #28
Th3Walrus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC Alpine White/Sahkir

Quote:

This is a weirdness in the US only where you allow people to charge your card after you leave the premise.

In Canada (North America still), this doesn't happen. You get the bill, you tip, you tap your card or insert your card and put your pin, and that is final. There's no way for anyone to charge you after you leave.

In the US many places (if not most) ask you to write down the tip so they can process and charge you after you leave. That is weird and causes this issue represented here.
I was referring to the comment from someone in England asking why they are tipping at all.

But I see your point, I forgot about that. We just went to Bahamas and it was like that there as well, they swipe your card, give you a receipt where you add a tip, and then that is added after you leave.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      12-09-2021, 09:14 AM   #29
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Walrus View Post
Quote:

I was referring to the comment from someone in England asking why they are tipping at all.

But I see your point, I forgot about that. We just went to Bahamas and it was like that there as well, they swipe your card, give you a receipt where you add a tip, and then that is added after you leave.
Clearly I don't know all countries in the world!! My bad, thanks for educating me. And yeah, a bit of a shame this process still exists this way.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 09:17 AM   #30
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Quote:

I find this strange and it's a US thing, no other country in the world does it this way. So I'm always making sure I fill it out so there's no chance for error:
THis is one of those things again, that is a result of the US complicating the simple. The number of banks is absolutely crazy, it will be labelled as "choice" but it is just bonkers, it makes it achingly slow to adopt new tech as the smaller banks don't like to change due costs. So we here and back home in oz have been using PIN cards etc for eons and I go to the US and they still do cheques, like what? You want me to fax it too?

Don't even start me on having to pay for gas before you fill up and it not accepting a card without a US zip code. Like HOW is this a thing in US border towns? Looking at you Port Huron.

I have noticed, just before covid hit and I was last there, things starting to change.
We have to prepay for gas too in BC now.
And you can pay at the pump in the US with your Canadian card. Your Zip is the 3 numbers in your postal code followed by 2 zeros. Your credit card's website features that info.
Appreciate 1
2000cs3502.50
      12-09-2021, 09:22 AM   #31
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
This would all be avoided if tipping wasn't a thing, just sayin'.

Whole system is absolute madness, totally crazy way to pay for shit. Whatever happened to 10 to 15% anyway? Now the machine starts at 18%, like fucking really?
I don't know about anyone else, but I've been to quite a few countries besides the US and aside from resorts in Mexico, the restaurant service doesn't even come close to the service in US restaurants. Sure there have been exceptions, but in general you can get in and out of a US restaurant fully fed and buzzed in 25-45 minutes if you want to. Good luck doing that anywhere else. It's usually a 1.5-2 hour ordeal. That's what you're tipping for.

I agree the amount has gotten out of hand, and it's not perfect, but I fundamentally agree with the tipping model. It's still the most likely way to get decent and quick service.
      12-09-2021, 09:27 AM   #32
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

I've been to maybe 20 countries and other than "new" european countries learning how capitalism works, i don't find the service in the US/Canada any better than anywhere else.

It just comes down to the person. Tipping is expected, it is essentially a surcharge, it has lost all meaning. No one is not going to tip, it has a worse social stigma than being kiddie fiddler.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 09:31 AM   #33
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
And you can pay at the pump in the US with your Canadian card. Your Zip is the 3 numbers in your postal code followed by 2 zeros. Your credit card's website features that info.
I'll be damned! I'll be sure to consult my credit card web site each time i go to use it in the future
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 09:33 AM   #34
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'll be damned! I'll be sure to consult my credit card web site each time i go to use it in the future
No need, now you know! Remember the postal code the card has. Those 3 numbers + 00.
Done. Works every time.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 09:41 AM   #35
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

That is one thing the US does right and Canada has COMPLETELY fucked up. The postal code system here is absolutely asinine.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 10:14 AM   #36
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

This is why I enjoy eating out in Japan. NO tipping and excellent service no matter where I go. Japan has the image of being very expensive which is generally true. However, when it comes to eating at restaurants, not the case. When you add in the tips and a relatively high cost for food/drinks here in the US, it's a lot more expensive and you're not necessarily going to get good service either.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 10:18 AM   #37
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minacious View Post
It's not about the amount of money, it is the principal of the matter. Letting it go is easy enough, but letting it go also allows nonsense like this to continue. If you have the proof in hand to show the change in amount, address it with management.

Perhaps there was an error somewhere, doubtful, but possible. If the more likely scenario of a bartender who felt they deserved more than your already generous tip is what transpired, they need to be canned promptly. I'd like to think this is the last thing a new restaurant wants taking place.
My wife and I had a favorite seafood restaurant the we frequented on a regular basis. On the last visit, I immediately noticed that my credit card was not in the little black folder when our waitress returned with the charge receipts. Just as I was getting up to talk with our waitress, she arrived with my credit card in hand. She said, "It was on the floor."

I'm thinking, okay, my card was out of her possession for maybe 2 minutes, so no biggie. Well, by the time we got home there were 2 fraudulent charges to my credit card (I logged into my bank immediately to check).

So, I called the restaurant and had a chat with the manager. He swore up and down his waitress was honest and that "dropping" my card was simply an accident. At best, I would call it carelessness. As a result, I had to cancel my credit card and then wait for the replacement to arrive in the mail.

We've never been back to that restaurant.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 10:21 AM   #38
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Is a 32% tip the norm in Arizona? Seems awfully high.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 10:25 AM   #39
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

fucking scum of the earth. same person to cry wolf if not tipped.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 12:26 PM   #40
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
Is a 32% tip the norm in Arizona? Seems awfully high.
I tipped the guy that much because I felt bad we were the only people in the bar.

I normally tip 20%.

I have decided not to tell my wife about this. The funds did indeed 'settle' per my credit card. I can say with 100% certainty I left $11 tip and it did not look like $16.

I didn't tell my wife about it either...she is going with her Aunt tomorrow to tour the restaurant again. The reason we don't care if the food sucks is because it's a Celebration of Life and the venue is gorgeous (right on a lake in Tempe) and the food is the secondary part of the equation...the first being with family.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 12:28 PM   #41
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 12:40 PM   #42
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

He should have known better. Just like the contractors on the Death Star.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 02:33 PM   #43
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but I've been to quite a few countries besides the US and aside from resorts in Mexico, the restaurant service doesn't even come close to the service in US restaurants. Sure there have been exceptions, but in general you can get in and out of a US restaurant fully fed and buzzed in 25-45 minutes if you want to. Good luck doing that anywhere else. It's usually a 1.5-2 hour ordeal. That's what you're tipping for.

I agree the amount has gotten out of hand, and it's not perfect, but I fundamentally agree with the tipping model. It's still the most likely way to get decent and quick service.
Ive always had what is considered good service for wherever I have been, it just depends on what they consider good. Im not always paying to be in and out, that is what Chick-fil-a is for.

In Mexico, especially in a resort place like Playa Del Carmen, life moves slower on purpose. They are expecting you to sit around, chew your food, sip your drink, etc. Just like you would in Sarasota, FL.

Now in the financial district of Mexico City, if you go to a lunch cafe, its in and out. But if you go to a spendy place, with a seating for 8, they are expecting a 3 hour business lunch.

I will admit I love the mobile POS systems they use pretty much everywhere else but here. With the chip and NFC functions where they bring it to your table and you select the tip, see the amount and scan your card. Not so much because Im worried about being ripped off because it means I can use my phone for payment. Only downside is in smaller places sometimes your waiter has to wait for one to be freed up.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 01:23 PM   #44
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
My wife is planning a celebration of life ceremony for her Uncle who passed away from cancer. We toured a restaurant a few days ago and had a few appetizers / drinks at the bar when we were finished with the tour.

The total bill was $34. I left an $11 tip and the bartender changed my tip to $16 for some reason. He was a nice guy but this is a brand new restaurant and the bar was extremely slow so now I'm wondering if he made a mistake or he did it maliciously.

It makes me question the restaurants' integrity because I can't recall ever having my tip changed while eating out.

Would you all tell your SO or let it go? I'm not worried about the $5 but I am worried about this place doing something shady as they feel compelled to add $5 to a small bill
$11 tip on $34 is 33% and is quite generous. This is another reason why I pay bar and restaurant tabs in cash only. No credit cards, apps, etc. for food purchases.
Appreciate 2
Tyga113235.50
Hegge880.00