BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Order delays?

09-12-2021, 06:39 AM   #1
mdoneinvt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40I

Order delays?

Hello all my first day here. I wanted to find out if anyone else that has recently ordered has heard about any delays. I placed my order on 8/12/21 and on 8/16/21 I was given my production number. On 8/24/21 It was assigned a VIN and given a completion date of 9/6/21. My concern is it is still showing on the tracker as production begins and has not moved yet. I called my SA and all they can tell me is it is still showing the same completion date. Even BMW genius said the same thing. Thanks for taking the time to read this and offering any information. Oh and as for delays I am 100% okay if there are delays and in no way upset about it. It is a tough time for carmakers and all businesses in general due to the covid pandemic. I see long delays in the company i work for too.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 08:47 AM   #2
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

I placed my order on 7/31 and the car entered the assembly line on 9/4. It is now in Quality Check. It has been there since 9/6. It looks like the normal stay in Quality Check is less than 24 hours. I don't know if they found an issue with my car or I'm seeing the same delay as you are seeing. I plan to check with the genius people on Monday to see what they know. If I find out anything I'll post it here.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 09:22 AM   #3
mdoneinvt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for your reply, I read a lot of posts before i put mine up and was reading yours. My real concern is it was supposed to be done already but has not moved at all still sitting at production begins. I just wish they would be honest and tell me if they are waiting on parts and don’t know when they will get them. I have all kinds of patience unless i am getting a run around…..lol. The truth goes farther than being told nothing.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 10:06 AM   #4
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I agree. I would really like to know what is causing the delay, rather than just waiting in the dark not knowing.

I did find a recent article which seems to indicate that BMW is being hit harder than expected by the chip shortage. Don't know (but wish I did) if this is our problem or not.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/08/19/c...or-automakers/
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 09:27 AM   #5
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoneinvt View Post
Hello all my first day here. I wanted to find out if anyone else that has recently ordered has heard about any delays. I placed my order on 8/12/21 and on 8/16/21 I was given my production number. On 8/24/21 It was assigned a VIN and given a completion date of 9/6/21. My concern is it is still showing on the tracker as production begins and has not moved yet. I called my SA and all they can tell me is it is still showing the same completion date. Even BMW genius said the same thing. Thanks for taking the time to read this and offering any information. Oh and as for delays I am 100% okay if there are delays and in no way upset about it. It is a tough time for carmakers and all businesses in general due to the covid pandemic. I see long delays in the company i work for too.
It can take 7-10 days on average to enter production.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 10:04 AM   #6
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I just got off of the phone with the Genius Hotline. They didn't have any more information about why my Z4 is stuck in Quality Check (been there a week now). They did say that it was unlikely that it was because of missing parts (chip?) and that it could just be a delay in updating the status (hard to believe no updates for a week!). They did indicate that my SA may be able to get more info (seems unlikely to me, but who knows). I did send an email to my SA. Dealer is closed on Sunday and Monday, so I won't hear back from her until tomorrow.

Update while writing this post - I did get a reply from my SA (on her day off) and she said she would try to find out what was going on tomorrow. What a great SA!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 10:59 AM   #7
mdoneinvt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the information as of today BMW genius said it could be delay in the system updating also and said to call back in a week
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 12:11 PM   #8
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the information as of today BMW genius said it could be delay in the system updating also and said to call back in a week
If it is delays in the update (and I'm beginning to think it is) shame on BMW for not being able to keep their portal to its customers up to date with at least daily updates.

Last edited by COKen; 09-13-2021 at 12:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 06:03 PM   #9
mdoneinvt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I agree and hope that is the case. If so then mine is likely done and waiting on a dock to go on the next boat which would be so awesome.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 06:05 PM   #10
mdoneinvt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Best part was yours in quality check on the day mine was supposed to be done means they would lieky be on the same ship. Are you having yours sent to your dealer? I havento as i have to come back up to norther new england with mine and wont chance my new baby on the summer tires in potential cold/snow.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 06:16 PM   #11
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Best part was yours in quality check on the day mine was supposed to be done means they would lieky be on the same ship. Are you having yours sent to your dealer? I havento as i have to come back up to norther new england with mine and wont chance my new baby on the summer tires in potential cold/snow.
Yes, mine is going to my dealer for me to pick up.

The Genius said my car was scheduled to be complete on 9/7, so if it is just a delay in posting the status, you may be right. For what ever reasoning they use, mine will go to the west coast and then come back to Colorado. So even if they are on the same ship, you will get yours a week or two before I get mine.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 07:54 PM   #12
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post

The Genius said my car was scheduled to be complete on 9/7, so if it is just a delay in posting the status, you may be right. For what ever reasoning they use, mine will go to the west coast and then come back to Colorado. So even if they are on the same ship, you will get yours a week or two before I get mine.
If your lucky, yours will ship to Galveston and truck to Colorado. It'll save you a couple of week through the canal.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 08:51 PM   #13
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post
If your lucky, yours will ship to Galveston and truck to Colorado. It'll save you a couple of week through the canal.
Unless they have changed things since I got my 435i, the z4 will go to California to be offloaded and then trucked to Colorado. I really wish they will drop it off in Galveston. It would be much quicker.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 08:36 AM   #14
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Unless they have changed things since I got my 435i, the z4 will go to California to be offloaded and then trucked to Colorado. I really wish they will drop it off in Galveston. It would be much quicker.
Things didn't change.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 11:35 AM   #15
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post
Things didn't change.
And the ship carrying the 435i, when it got to the east end of the Panama Canal, it had to wait a week until it could even start the trip through the canal. Hope that doesn't happen with the Z4.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 02:14 PM   #16
mdoneinvt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

So got an email from my salesman that my car is now in production and will be going to paint today or tomorrow so a bit behind but super excited to see it moving along.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 05:29 PM   #17
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

My SA said they can't find anything about a delay in production and my build was scheduled to be complete on 9/7 so it should be at the port waiting to be loaded on a ship. I asked my SA to find out the name of the ship. We will see if it all works out.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 05:04 AM   #18
mdoneinvt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hopefully yours starts moving along soon. Mine just updated this morning to in the paint booth. Wish i could get pictures of the whole process….lol
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 08:29 AM   #19
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hopefully yours starts moving along soon. Mine just updated this morning to in the paint booth. Wish i could get pictures of the whole process….lol
Mine is still, frustratingly, showing as in quality check. Glad yours was updated.

If they provide us with a portal to view the process, it would be nice, if they would keep it up to date. Otherwise it is worse than useless because it creates more stress and frustration.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 11:40 AM   #20
pandzandr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW Z4 M40i

Not to add to your frustration but there are other factors which can increase wait time for your Z and these are pretty much not under BMW's control. For cars arriving at the CA port, you will want to factor in the nationwide shortage in truck drivers. Arriving at the port in July, my car whizzed through the processing center in 1 day and then sat for another 12 days, waiting for a driver so that it could be trucked up to Seattle. But the wait will be worth it -- wonderful car.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 12:16 PM   #21
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandzandr View Post
Not to add to your frustration but there are other factors which can increase wait time for your Z and these are pretty much not under BMW's control. For cars arriving at the CA port, you will want to factor in the nationwide shortage in truck drivers. Arriving at the port in July, my car whizzed through the processing center in 1 day and then sat for another 12 days, waiting for a driver so that it could be trucked up to Seattle. But the wait will be worth it -- wonderful car.
I'm not frustrated at the wait, but at the lack of information from the portal, the BMW Genius or my dealer. I'm just very disappointed in BMW's assembly plant's lack of communication. Maybe they are also having issues getting employees, but that is also something they could communicate to their customers.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 05:55 PM   #22
mdoneinvt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandzandr View Post
If there are issues with no drivers i will push the dealer to allow me to go get it. i work on the side for a towing company and we haul for a bunch of dealers. I doubt it will come to that thought i can wait for mine as my car will be traded in. So it will just have a few more miles on it. Might be a good time for a career change always wanted to be a long haul truck driver.
Appreciate 0