BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Cleaning your Z4, whats your method?

04-17-2022, 08:46 AM   #1
BRIANXIX
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 30i

Cleaning your Z4, whats your method?

I hand wash my cars, but the Z4 is a bit different from my previous cars(never owned a BMW, or a softtop. So I'm curious as to how you wash your car, in particular
1) How do you wash the soft top, and what products/process do you use to clean, and protect it
2) I have the Ferric Grey wheels, and they get filthy. Any suggestions on what to use
Thanks
Appreciate 1
Z4itis59.50
      04-17-2022, 09:11 AM   #2
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
For the wheels you can always have a shop professionally apply ceramic coating to them.

If you want a DIY approach there are several products in the market like this one from Chemical Guys.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/hydrosp...s-wheels-tyres
Appreciate 1
Z4itis59.50
      04-17-2022, 10:03 AM   #3
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40i

Using a foamer, and the two bucket method with special shampoo, and a leaf-blower to dry for the frozen paint - that’s all new for me. I wash the wheels & calipers last using the same wash and a different cleaning cloth. The wheels have a lot of irregular surfaces, so it takes a while to get in between and around the back of the spokes. With the wheels, I’d guess it takes me 90+ minutes to wash the Z4 - probably more like 60 minutes not including the wheels including prep (getting buckets filled & ready, putting soap into the foamer, etc.).

And brake dust is a real thing with the OEM pads. My plan is to ceramic coat the wheels & brake calipers with a long lasting ceramic coating to make dust removal easier.

For the top, I got the Chemical Guys cleaner & protectant, though I haven’t used them yet - just used the regular matte paint shampoo on the top and rinsed and dried it with the rest of the car. A friend whose had convertibles says I don’t need to do anything special with the top beyond cleaning it and not stowing it wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIANXIX View Post
I hand wash my cars, but the Z4 is a bit different from my previous cars(never owned a BMW, or a softtop. So I'm curious as to how you wash your car, in particular
1) How do you wash the soft top, and what products/process do you use to clean, and protect it
2) I have the Ferric Grey wheels, and they get filthy. Any suggestions on what to use
Thanks
Appreciate 1
crz4859.50
      04-17-2022, 11:09 AM   #4
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Rule#1, never put the top down while it is still wet.
Appreciate 4
Z4itis59.50
crz4859.50
JustChris17485.50
jvilla107480.00
      04-17-2022, 01:06 PM   #5
rikwynnpa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G29 Z4 3.0

Top Cleaning

I would not use any detergent on the convertible top unless required. The fabric is coated with a hydrophobic coating that wears down with time. Any detergent or surfactant that you apply plus any extra abrasion of the top surface just accelerates the coating's breakdown. I purchased from BMW a specially formulated top cleaner and a finisher product and also a super soft boars hair brush to clean the top - and I only do it once per year or if a bird craps on the top. I would not use anything Chemical Guys or Adam or anyone else sells on a convertible BMW top. Normally I just rinse the top with minimal cool water and gently dry it with a microfiber cloth.
Appreciate 6
Z4itis59.50
Rotherd311170.00
RLF30.00
JustChris17485.50
      04-17-2022, 06:34 PM   #6
Z4itis
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikwynnpa View Post
I would not use any detergent on the convertible top unless required. The fabric is coated with a hydrophobic coating that wears down with time. Any detergent or surfactant that you apply plus any extra abrasion of the top surface just accelerates the coating's breakdown. I purchased from BMW a specially formulated top cleaner and a finisher product and also a super soft boars hair brush to clean the top - and I only do it once per year or if a bird craps on the top. I would not use anything Chemical Guys or Adam or anyone else sells on a convertible BMW top. Normally I just rinse the top with minimal cool water and gently dry it with a microfiber cloth.

Where do you purchase the finisher product?

Last edited by Z4itis; 04-17-2022 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 11:35 PM   #7
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikwynnpa View Post
I would not use any detergent on the convertible top unless required. The fabric is coated with a hydrophobic coating that wears down with time.
Hydrophobic, are you sure? My last Z4 (2020) had zero hydrophobic properties on the soft top. I haven't tested my new one yet, but I imagined it was the same.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 07:48 AM   #8
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
Hydrophobic, are you sure? My last Z4 (2020) had zero hydrophobic properties on the soft top. I haven't tested my new one yet, but I imagined it was the same.

Rob
I also would be interested in this question. Does anyone have documentation from BMW that states this?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 10:07 AM   #9
Kwajtrader
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40i G29  [10.00]
First let me say the two biggest time savers have been the ceramic coating (body only) that lets me dry the car with a leaf blower, and replacing the OEM brake pads with ceramic pads to reduce brake dust. It takes me about 30 min to wash the car and wheels. I start with the wheels. I have three brushes, two long brushes for the inside and hard to reach places (easy reach wheel brush from autozone $15), one bent in a crescent and one I keep straight, and a soft flat tire brush for the face (Mothers from Amazon). I use two 5 gal buckets, one with clear water for rinsing and one with car wash. I use Meguiars gold class car wash which is safe for ceramic coatings and a foam canon (from Harbor Freight) that hooks up to my garden hose. I spray the first wheel with foam and then take the foam coated tire/wheel brush and do the face of the wheel and the tire and then put that in the clear rinse bucket. Before using the long brushes I always check that the rubber tip is secure. The main complaint of these types of brushes is that the rubber tip comes off and you scratch your wheels. Then I switch to the curved brush and do in-between the face of the spokes and rinse, then behind the spokes sideways and then along the barrel inside. Basically the backside and hard to reach places. This brush will fit between the wheel and the caliper on both sides. Then I switch to the long straight brush and do the face of the barrel all the way around, rinsing often. Then I hose the wheel off with clean water and repeat on the other three wheels. It takes me less than 5 minutes per wheel.
For the body of the car I only use one bucket filled with car wash with a strainer on the bottom and a soft car wash mitt. I rinse the mitt and bucket before I start. Frankly my car is never that dirty to begin with, but black shows everything so I wash about once a week. With the car in a shady spot I start by coating it with foam from the top down. I then gently wash it with the car mitt, making sure it is heavily coated in foamy car wash. After lightly going over the whole car I rinse it off from the top down with the hose. I have to concentrate a stream on the panel lines multiple times to wash out all of the foam. Then I blow it dry with a leaf blower. This is where the ceramic coating pays off. It gets the car 99% dry. I do minimal spot trying with a small microfiber cloth on the exterior and then use a towel to clean and dry the door jams and the trunk lid. By the time this is done the wheels just need a spot drying with a Terri cloth towel.
As for concern with the convertible top. This is my third BMW convertible in a row over 12 consecutive years and all three have been daily drivers and garaged. I’ve never done anything special with any of them and never had any issues.

https://www.harborfreight.com/extrem...gun-57457.html

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GJ3DZS...GF4AGGC9JKT77B
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
ToysArs60.50
stlcdr1010.00
Z4itis59.50
ebirotedu1458.50
CJ4211545.50
      04-18-2022, 11:47 AM   #10
stlcdr
Captain
Rep

I'm a fan of Meguiars Gold Class wash: it doesn't to have any wax in it. As for wheels, cleaning on a regular basis is the best way to do it, even if it's just spraying off the brake dust.

While not necessarily an option on the Z4, my current vehicle, when I rotate the tires, I give them an independent clean and 'wax' ( currently using an SiO2/ceramic spray on from Turtle Wax).
Appreciate 2
Kwajtrader1087.50
CJ4211545.50
      04-18-2022, 11:56 AM   #11
Horseman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
OH goodness... I spend about 2-3 hours cleaning and detailing my car total. I do this almost weekly, depending on my schedule, but now that I do this on both my cars... probably a little less often.

I have an electric 2000psi pressure washer
Torq washer gun
Chemical Guys Big Mouth Foam Cannon
Car Soap: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Adam's Wheel Cleaner
Adam's Rubber Mat and Plastic Cleaner
Chemical Guys Hydro Spin
Chemical Guys Tire Shine
Chemical Guys Window Cleaner
Chemical Guys Hydro View
Chemical Guys Interior Clean Quick Detailer
Chemical Guys Exterior Clean Quick Detailer (As necessary)

Microfiber waffle weave for drying and or detailing- Chemical Guys
Microfiber fiber towels for drying / detailing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Chemical Guys WHEEL WORKS MEDIUM DUTY WHEEL & BODY BRUSH
Another brush (sorry I don't remember the brand, I've had it for quite some time)
Chemical Guys WORKHORSE PREMIUM MICROFIBER APPLICATOR, GRAY
Appreciate 3
Z4itis59.50
ebirotedu1458.50
CJ4211545.50
      04-20-2022, 11:56 AM   #12
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
This is my "standard issue" Z4 cleaning, it takes an hour and 15 minutes. You could wash almost any car this way.

1. Put the top down.

(I am kidding.)

Real 1. Flip up the wipers (in the Z4, press start button then press it again, then hold the wiper lever down until they get to the top and let go.) and fold the mirrors so they don't collect water. Unlock the doors and put the keys far away so comfort access isn't engaged while washing.

I use: Garden hose, 2x 5-gal buckets (one w/ grit guard), wheel brush, microfiber towels and wash mitt, interior cleaner, car wash soap, and a spray product to finish (spray wax or instant detailer). Optionally an electric leaf blower for drying and a vacuum for the interior.
I also kneel on a foam pad so I don't destroy my knees and I wear latex gloves.

2. Wet and wash the wheels, wheel brush for the barrels and a throwaway microfiber to get around the spokes. I use the car wash soap for this. Rinse wheels afterward and the rinse/refill the buckets.

3. Wash the car. Spray it off, then use the microfiber mitt on one or two panels at a time.
3a. Rinse off the car; I take the nozzle off the hose and let the water run down the panels which leaves little standing water.

4. Dry the car, eliminating standing water with the leaf blower and then use the blotting method with microfiber towels to get anything left (lay the towel on the paint and gently press to absorb water, this way there is no rubbing).

5. Apply finishing product to paint and glass with microfiber and to wheels with throwaway microfiber. Open the doors and trunk and wipe the sills.

6. Wipe down the interior with interior cleaner and vacuum the carpet and floor mats. Optionally clean the glass, that's not a big chore in the Z4, though the windshield is always a pain.

7. Indulge in a first world complaint about how long it takes to put everything away.

So, there's not much to it, the important thing is to take your time, washing one or two panels at a time, always starting at the upper panels and working down (i.e., clean the dirtiest parts of the car last). Especially take your time drying, where most scratching occurs. Continuously check your microfiber and mitts for dirt as you wash to avoid that sunken "If only I had looked ..." feeling afterward.

I don't wash the top at all. If there's pollen or dirt, running the hose gently on it usually does the trick. Otherwise, I try not to get it wet, because as we all know, you can't put the top down when it's wet.

There are so many quality cleaning products available. I have bought the ultra-expensive stuff and never had a problem, but I can also say that about the less expensive "minimum quality" versions so I tend to buy the latter now. Meguiar's and Chemical Guys tend to be fairly priced for basic products. For instance, I paid $7 for Meguiar's interior detailer, $10 for Chemical Guys matte car soap, and $20 for a big bottle of Blackfire matte detailer spray. Same with microfiber, I buy the inexpensive versions.

Edit: As for matte paint, you'll need matte-specific car wash soap and finishing products, but basic cleaning is otherwise like it would be for any other car. You can't clay matte paint or do any polishing, the best we can do is a chemical decontaminant. I bought BMW's version and have used it on embedded dirt (next to license plate is the biggest offender). It's not kind stuff, you must wear gloves.

Charles

Last edited by CJ421; 04-20-2022 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 2
ebirotedu1458.50
      04-20-2022, 11:58 AM   #13
Horseman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
BTW, you can also just pull the wipers up a little bit to lift so they don't hit the hood when the car is off.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 06:39 AM   #14
NVHoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i red convertible

I've owned convertibles of different brands for decades. I never use a car wash. Even the brushless car washes use heavy blowers at the end that provide considerable downforce on the top and rearwindow that can't be good for the life of the top.

Regarding top care. The key is to wash the top with a cloth and soap as seldom as possible. If it appears dirty, just rinse it off and let it air dry. Drying with a towel wipes off the waterproofing.

I only wash my top with soap once or twice a year. Any good car wash soap is fine and use a new clean cloth. There is nothing magic about expensive soaps supposedly made just for convertible tops. It's just soap. Washing with soap and a cloth will remove some of the waterproofing.

After washing with soap it is crucial to rinse off the top very well to remove all of the soap The reason soap removes dirt is because it is designed to attract and bond with the dirt to allow water to wash it away. If any soap is left on the top, it will attract and hold dirt and make the top look dirtier quicker.
Let the top air dry.

If your top no longer beads when initially sprayed with water, it needs waterproofing. I waterproof mine about once a year. Wash the top with soap, rinse well, and let it air dry. Then cover nearby non-cloth surfaces with newspaper or rags and spray on a scotchguard product following its directions. You can pay a lot more money for “special” convertible top waterproofing products but they are all just scotchguard.
Appreciate 1
CJ4211545.50
      04-22-2022, 04:21 PM   #15
rikwynnpa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G29 Z4 3.0

Not the case at all

I absolutely dont agree. Soap is not soap. The active ingredient in soap is surfactant. Surfactants used by car care companies are formulated differently to remove certain soils. The soap made for BMW for the top is a very mild version. The sealer product is also specially made for BMW tops. Everything that sheds water is not Scotchguard. Scotchguard is 1 formula of water resistant coatings. There are many. Use what you like but I'll use the BMW products because I know they were tested to do their job before they put the logo on them. I sell BMW aftermarket products and its not easy to get things approved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVHoo View Post
I've owned convertibles of different brands for decades. I never use a car wash. Even the brushless car washes use heavy blowers at the end that provide considerable downforce on the top and rearwindow that can't be good for the life of the top.

Regarding top care. The key is to wash the top with a cloth and soap as seldom as possible. If it appears dirty, just rinse it off and let it air dry. Drying with a towel wipes off the waterproofing.

I only wash my top with soap once or twice a year. Any good car wash soap is fine and use a new clean cloth. There is nothing magic about expensive soaps supposedly made just for convertible tops. It's just soap. Washing with soap and a cloth will remove some of the waterproofing.

After washing with soap it is crucial to rinse off the top very well to remove all of the soap The reason soap removes dirt is because it is designed to attract and bond with the dirt to allow water to wash it away. If any soap is left on the top, it will attract and hold dirt and make the top look dirtier quicker.
Let the top air dry.

If your top no longer beads when initially sprayed with water, it needs waterproofing. I waterproof mine about once a year. Wash the top with soap, rinse well, and let it air dry. Then cover nearby non-cloth surfaces with newspaper or rags and spray on a scotchguard product following its directions. You can pay a lot more money for “special” convertible top waterproofing products but they are all just scotchguard.
Appreciate 1
Horseman4131.50
      05-06-2022, 02:25 PM   #16
Z4itis
Private
United_States
Rep

Thank you everyone for sharing your cleaning tips. My Z4 M40i was delivered to the dealer today and I’m picking her up on Sunday. I will take pics, they have her parked in the show room.

Now to get busy and start ordering these supplies.
Appreciate 1
ebirotedu1458.50
      05-06-2022, 03:58 PM   #17
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4itis View Post
Thank you everyone for sharing your cleaning tips. My Z4 M40i was delivered to the dealer today and I’m picking her up on Sunday. I will take pics, they have her parked in the show room.

Now to get busy and start ordering these supplies.
If they have it parked in the showroom make sure that some salesperson doesn't take a potential customer out for a test drive!
Appreciate 1
Z4itis59.50
      05-06-2022, 04:20 PM   #18
Z4itis
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
If they have it parked in the showroom make sure that some salesperson doesn't take a potential customer out for a test drive!
Exactly my thoughts too!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 04:48 PM   #19
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4itis View Post
Exactly my thoughts too!
The only place in the showroom it should be is in the presentation room where you go to pickup your new car!
Attached Images

Appreciate 9
ebirotedu1458.50
UNCM2334.50
CJ4211545.50
Horseman4131.50
Z4itis59.50
Christos188.50
      05-08-2022, 02:38 PM   #20
ZZZ4 G29
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW Z4 30i

I live in a downtown flat with no access to water so I typically use a waterless wash (CG Eco-Smart). Purchased a bottle of Optimum No Rinse Wash to give it a try, never tried a no rinse before.

About to do the big spring detailing.

1. Wash with Optimum No Rinse
2. Maybe light clay bar if necessary but doubtful
3. CG Diablo Wheel Gel with CG Rimpaca Ultimate Wheel Brush (worth every penny, would never touch my black gloss wheels with any other brush)
4. Bosch electric blower to dry wheels
5. CG MaxCoat Wheel Guard and Rim Sealant
6. CG Hybrid V07 for gloss black wheels
7. CG No-Nonsense and CG Galactic Black Wet Look for tires
8. CG Wipe-Out to remove old sealant, wax, etc., from paint
9. CG Wet Mirror Finish glaze
10. CG Jetseal sealant
11. CG Butter Wet Wax
12. CG Trim Clean and CG Black on Black aerosol for grill/exterior trim
13. CG Streak-Free glass cleaner
14. CG No-Nonsense and CG Silk Shine and Black on Black dressing for engine bay
15. CG Leather Cleaner and Conditioner
16. CG No-Nonsense to deep clean interior and CG Silk Shine dressing
17. Bosch electric vacuum and CG Fabric Clean if necessary
18. CG Convertible Top horse hair brush for dirt (no product unless stained, etc.)

Regular detail about the same but no stripping away old product or using clay bar, glaze, sealants, and wax only as needed.

Maintenance:
1. Clean glass before leaving
2. Quick detailer (typically CG Speedwipe for dust or CG P40 for shine) before leaving.
3. Tire shine if necessary before leaving
4. Gently brush dirt from top after return
5. Wipe down interior with CG Total Interior after return
6. Bosch electric blower on wheels for brake dust (doesn't “clean” but makes eventually cleaning noticeably easier)

No escaping drive to self-serve car wash to clean wheels, but it takes 10 mins with Rimpaca wheel brush and blower to dry.
Appreciate 1
Z4itis59.50
      01-21-2023, 12:07 PM   #21
Skinbc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 2022

Any find a good hack for cleaning the inside of the rear window?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 12:47 PM   #22
UNCM2
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 z4m401,'22 M440i, ,23ixM60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinbc View Post
Any find a good hack for cleaning the inside of the rear window?
I have a windshield wow but any magnetic window cleaner helps clean both sides. Not sure what others use but this works for me
Appreciate 0