BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Buying a car right before MY turnover

01-26-2023, 06:56 AM   #1
SixOhms
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 V, 86 C126, 993

Buying a car right before MY turnover

Hey everyone,

What actually happens when you buy a car right before model turnover ?

Say you configure and place an order for a car. Let's imagine for a minute the sales rep puts the order in the system and normally that's it : the wait begins.

But only a day (or two) later the new configurator is activated (for you and the dealer). Options have come, options have gone, packages are different and maybe even some standard equipment has been added or removed.

As I understand it, after a certain date the factory starts building the 'new' MY cars. I can't imagine they would build 'old' cars and 'new' cars on the same run. Or maybe they do ? It sounds like a logistics nightmare. Alternatively, they could endeavor to move the 'old' cars forward to before the turnover date. But what if say the lead time is six months, but the turnover only three months away ?

And where does it leave the customers ? Do they get the car they ordered, are they asked to pay for stuff they didn't order ? Do they get a rebate for stuff that gets removed ?

It all sounds inordinately complex to me. Can anyone offer any insights ? I imagine it must happen every once in a while !

Thanks, Pete
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 07:33 AM   #2
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

Lots of experiences with this one on the G42 board, as allocations were scarce and some people very much preferred getting a 2022 model with iD7 vs a 2023 model with iD8. There was a hard cutoff date at which time 2022s stopped being made. The factory shut down for the changeover to the new model year. Then 2023 production started. Lots of features were added, some were left off. Depended on your CA just how much info was passed along regarding the changes.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 07:35 AM   #3
DarkishM5C
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 Dark Graphite M5C

Garage List
2023 M5C  [10.00]
This happened to me when I ordered a MY22 M5 last year. I put in my ordered in late May and my allocation sat there for 3 weeks. By mid-June, BMW had switched to MY23 production. My allocation was switch to MY23. Luckily there was really no significant changes to MY23 other than some colors were removed and replaced with other colors. None of my options changed and the color I had optioned was also available for MY23. There was a price increase for MY23 and my dealership would not honor the MY22 price. However, there is several members here that this happened to them, and their dealership did honor the MY22 price.
I am not sure what would have happened if there had been a significant change between model years. I would assume the dealership would have contacted me and we would of have to reconfigure and price it out.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 01:07 PM   #4
SixOhms
Private
Rep

They may be more careful out here, as consumer laws state they have to communicate any price hike to the customer, and then the customer has the right to opt out. I imagine they can take a hit if it's just a few (insert tender here), but if several sticks of gold plated latinum are involved I'm sure it will be a different matter.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 11:53 PM   #5
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
In the scenario you posit it is entirely possible and even likely the customer would not get the car they ordered and would have to accept a car not the same as when the order was entered or choose to forego the car altogether. And, yes, experiencing price changes would be likely too.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

01-30-2023, 10:18 AM   #6
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixOhms View Post
They may be more careful out here, as consumer laws state they have to communicate any price hike to the customer, and then the customer has the right to opt out. I imagine they can take a hit if it's just a few (insert tender here), but if several sticks of gold plated latinum are involved I'm sure it will be a different matter.
I mean, anyone can opt out of an order even in the US. You might lose a deposit depending on how things go but what you're explaining in your first post absolutely happens. I ordered an M240ix in April of 2022. By the time I actually got an allocation, it was clear I would be getting a 2023. For me, this was advantageous because I preferred a RWD model and you could only get xDrive with 2022. Either way, my sales guy walked me through the changes and allowed me to update my order to RWD.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2023, 05:51 AM   #7
SixOhms
Private
Rep

When I ordered one of the Benz' I was in somewhat the same position. I was told by the sales guy that irrespective of build date the car would be built to ordered spec. I can imagine this being easier if the changes are only software options that can be activated or deactivated. They'll just hobble your car with the touch of a button. In the case of e.g. 'keyless entry' or 'Nav Pro with HUD' vs. just 'Nav pro' they could still not install the required modules, as there may be countries where standard equipment varies anyway. In the case of the Benz it concerned the length of the rails in the boot, which required a different rear section of the floor panel. My car was one of the last ones built right before the retool to the new model year, so there was no issue.
But in the case of the iX the changes are in March and I have a July delivery date.
I need to go talk to the dealer. I don't fancy paying any more than I already have to, irrespective of possible extras.
Appreciate 0