BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Boxster

01-30-2023, 11:05 PM   #1
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Boxster

So I sold my mustang early last year and have been waiting to get a new fun car. I have been doing American muscle for a while now. Started with the 2016 camaro, then did C7 corvette and last was the mustang GT.

Now I'm kind of wanting to go back to something smaller and would really like a convertible to take out to the mountains. This market sucks ass so I'm still waiting to get something. I think I'm either going to go with a Z4M if I can ever find one close by in good condition for a price I like or a boxster.

Now I have never really followed the boxster market as I was never in the market for one. However I think some people on here probably do so just wondering what is the market like right now for a 718 boxster. How does it compare to pre 2020, do you think it's going to drop? I think I have noticed a slight drop in the time that I have been looking but hard to say. I know I definitely want a manual so pickings are slim.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 11:52 PM   #2
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I'm interested too. Boxster S/GTS is what I want next, but prices are crazy.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 12:48 AM   #3
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Go to cargurus main desktop page and at the bottom left is a selection for “price trends”. This is good data. Can’t link to it now because I am on a mobile device.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2023, 04:21 AM   #4
Llarry
///M driver
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
I can't speak to the more recent 718, but I had a 981 Boxster S. Awesome car!
      01-31-2023, 07:26 AM   #5
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Prices have cooled a bit but Porsche's are sort of holding station. If you're getting one, look or the model (I think 2009-2015??) with the 9A1 engine. You should still do a bore scope though TBH very unusual with that engine in it's smallest guise.

Just make sure it's what you want, they are very tight, Z4 a legit option with a straight 6.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2023, 12:24 PM   #6
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Prices have cooled a bit but Porsche's are sort of holding station. If you're getting one, look or the model (I think 2009-2015??) with the 9A1 engine. You should still do a bore scope though TBH very unusual with that engine in it's smallest guise.

Just make sure it's what you want, they are very tight, Z4 a legit option with a straight 6.
Part of the problem is finding the variations to test drive. So far I have only been able to drive a base 718 manual. I did get to drive a 718 auto base and s back to back. When I did that I recall feeling like I would be fine with a base and did not feel like I needed the added power of the S. I was able to drive a previous gen (maybe like 2015 or 2016) base cayman manual, but honestly it was hard to say because I think the car was modified. Definitely had an obnoxiously loud after market exhaust and maybe suspension. I think it might have felt a bit underpowered compared to the 718s but again hard to tell because stuff had definitely been done to it.

Dealer where I bought my Cayenne has a manual 718 GTS in but it's apparently been going through the CPO processes for weeks now so haven't been able to check it out. Would love the GTS 4.0 but those are out of my price range.

Would be nice to drive a Z4M again also since its been a long time since I owned mine. I still recall it being my favorite car I've owned, but who knows, my memory is shit.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      01-31-2023, 12:30 PM   #7
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I think pricing will come down a bit this year. Right now used prices are still high because dealers paid a premium for the cars and they can't come to terms with the fact that the used car market is collapsing and fast. With that said, Porsche values on their sports cars (NOT SUVs) will likely remain relatively high compared to other makes.

The verdict is still out on the long term liability of the turbo 4s, assuming you're looking at a more typical 718. The turbo 4 is a new direction for Porsche and it's serviceability is way more complex compared to the NA Boxer 6 motors. I recently purchased a 2011 Cayman base and the engine is surprisingly easy to work on and service. The Boxster is quite a bit more difficult as the roof is in the way when getting to the top of the motor. With my Cayman, I yank the top engine cover and sit in the trunk while working over the motor. The turbo 4 has a ton more complication with the turbo and air/water intercooler, piping, cooling, wiring, hoses, etc. What used to be somewhat easy repair work now requires the engine to be dropped (which isn't as bad as it seems with these cars).

With all that said, I think the NA Boxer 6 cars found in the 987.2 or 981 cars are easier to work on and cheaper to maintain. They also sound and "feel" more the part. They rev out to high rpms and make you work for it. I find the 265hp in my base Cayman 6MT to plenty for the street. It's surprisingly quick and sounds glorious under full boil. If I want to go faster and have more of a sledge hammer, turbo experience, I take my wonderful Stage 2 M235 6MT.

Repair and parts costs on Porsches can be eye watering. Definitely research problem areas for the model you're looking at and try and find a good independent Porsche shop once the car is out of warranty. Porsche dealer shop hourly rates are hilarious.
      01-31-2023, 01:36 PM   #8
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah TBH I cannot fathom why you'd want a turbo 4 instead of a flat 6, yeah more torque etc but it's a sports car, you want to rev it out, that's half the fun. Mind you 3rd gear is STUPID long, on my 997 if I am hustling so can corner in third gear, then i floor it and it wrings out, in one gear, from 40kmh to 120kmh, it's nuts.

If stick, check the last time the clutch was done, it's near $5K at a shop. If PDK, check the full service was done.
Appreciate 3
      01-31-2023, 01:42 PM   #9
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah TBH I cannot fathom why you'd want a turbo 4 instead of a flat 6, yeah more torque etc but it's a sports car, you want to rev it out, that's half the fun. Mind you 3rd gear is STUPID long, on my 997 if I am hustling so can corner in third gear, then i floor it and it wrings out, in one gear, from 40kmh to 120kmh, it's nuts.
Yeah i had a Boxster 25 years last year (which was a GTS 4.0 with GT4 short shifter and the heritage style trim). Really nice car, but you can't safely redline it on a street ever. 1st gear redline natrually comes up quite fast, and then 2nd is like 76mph. The engine sounds great above 5000rpm, but its a bit rough and durgy below that.

Personally, as street cars, all of these 4.0 718's are very overrated unless you are intending to constantly break traffic laws. In PDK they are better, but you are kind of missing the point. As track cars, they make sense. They are desirable in theory, or if you want to go to cars and coffee to show off. As driving instruments, they are not effective road cars for revving out.
Appreciate 2
      01-31-2023, 01:45 PM   #10
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Honestly the 385HP and the nature of the engine is a perfect match for the 997 that acts as both daddies mid life crisis car and the family top down weekend cruiser with 4 folks onboard.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 02:03 PM   #11
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
If stick, check the last time the clutch was done, it's near $5K at a shop.
I paid $2,900 at a local Porsche independent shop for a clutch/flywheel replacement on my 2011 Cayman. That included a Sachs clutch kit, a OEM Porsche flywheel (a whopping $1,350), flywheel bolts, and two OEM replacement exhaust hangers that were rusted badly. When debating between the 987.2 and 981, my Porsche independent mechanic said that the clutch/flywheel cost between the two models is within $100. I live in Kansas City so labor costs in my area could be lower than the coasts. I did have the Porsche dealer give me an estimate and it was right at $5K using the same damn parts including the same Sachs kit. LOL
      01-31-2023, 02:17 PM   #12
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

If stick, check the last time the clutch was done, it's near $5K at a shop. If PDK, check the full service was done.
I would agree with you. When I first started buying cars it was turbo all the way, tunes to get an extra 100hp etc. Then I got a 128i which I loved way more than my 335i, then I got the Z4M and pretty much banished turbos from my life. After that it was NA V8s and a few NA 4 cylinders for fun.

The only time I have even considered another turbo 4 is now with the 718. When I test drove the two automatics up in NC I didn't really notice much turbo lag at all. When I drove the base 718 manual here in FL I noticed it significantly more, however I still had a blast with it.

The flat 6 may be great, but finding them nearby to test drive is the issue. I would also prefer a CPO car so I don't have to deal with issues for at least 2 years. The Cayenne is at the dealer right now for what I believe is a rear main seal oil leak, luckily covered under CPO. Otherwise I do have a great Porsche indy shop that it would go to. That's where I take it for maintenance also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Yeah i had a Boxster 25 years last year (which was a GTS 4.0 with GT4 short shifter and the heritage style trim). Really nice car, but you can't safely redline it on a street ever. 1st gear redline natrually comes up quite fast, and then 2nd is like 76mph. The engine sounds great above 5000rpm, but its a bit rough and durgy below that.

Personally, as street cars, all of these 4.0 718's are very overrated unless you are intending to constantly break traffic laws. In PDK they are better, but you are kind of missing the point. As track cars, they make sense. They are desirable in theory, or if you want to go to cars and coffee to show off. As driving instruments, they are not effective road cars for revving out.
I agree with not needing that much power. In general I prefer NA to turbo but again I have only driven the 718s and one older flat 6 cayman but it was pretty modified. So I can't really say if I like the new GTS 4.0... but it doesn't matter because I'm not spending over $100k for one so it's not even being considered.

This will be strictly for fun. Probably drive it mostly in NC go for drives through the blue ridge etc so manual is a must even though the PDK is fantastic and also really prefer a convertible.

Who knows might end up with a convertible mustang with these prices and selection.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 02:21 PM   #13
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

My 2c, you're shopping too young and i say MEH to a CPO. Just get a REAL good PPI, that will tell you all you need to know. Don't be shy to shop out of state and fly in/drive back for the right car.

I am pro-mustang but you REALLY need a PP2 V8 and TBH. that's gonna cost just as much as a sorted Boxster with a flat 6.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2023, 02:29 PM   #14
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

As I've learned with my CPO'd 2011 Cayman, it doesn't cover much unless you have some major failure. As I've experienced first hand, my CPO'd Cayman had a number of things that were somehow missed during the certification process including following 12 y/o original parts:

1) A nearly worn out clutch
2) A failed dual mass flywheel
3) A torn front engine mount
4) Sagging rear transmission mounts
5) Stretched out shifter cables
6) Worn out shifter bushings
7) A seriously dirty air filter

None of these items would be covered under CPO per the Kansas City Porsche dealer. I got the selling dealer to give me a check for $3K for all conveniently missed items. I had to spend about $1500 out of pocket to address the other stuff which I did the work myself. I look at the CPO as only possibly covering some major engine problem or electrical issue. That's it.

As part of the certification process, they replace the tires (summer N1 rated tires $1500 per Tirerack), rear brake pads, spark plugs, engine oil, gear oil, AOS, brake fluid, accessory belt, the rear view mirror, and the rear splash guards. All tallied, it was well over $2.5K in stuff I won't have to worry about.

Last edited by XutvJet; 01-31-2023 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 2
      01-31-2023, 02:43 PM   #15
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ya'll making miatas look better and better!
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      01-31-2023, 03:18 PM   #16
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
How did the comaro, mustang and corvette treat you? Which one did you like the most
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 04:12 PM   #17
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
How did the comaro, mustang and corvette treat you? Which one did you like the most
I liked them all. The camaro was the one that got me hooked on the V8s. I had never even considered it because they were so godawful inside. However the redesigned 2016 model really upped the interior. Not German level, but very nice and acceptable. I only sold it because I sold all my cars, bought a truck and travel trailer and traveled around the country for a few years on and off.

When I got the itch again decided to up it with the C7 which again has a much better interior than previous gens. Also I find the seats on the C6 and previous extremely uncomfortable. It was a great car. Handles great, same engine as the camaro, basically a camaro +. Traded that in during covid because I was bored. Decided to try a Tesla (which I love for different reasons) but then got back into it and decided to go mustang because I've always liked them but never owned one. It was a nice 2019 GT with PP1. It's by far the best sounding one of the lot stock. I would say handling is not as good as the C7 or camaro but the ride was way more forgiving than the other two. Honestly I would say the camaro was probably the best compromise between comfort and performance. With the C7 being the best performer overall. Would love a camaro with C7 styling and mustang sound.

Anyways I'm still keeping my eyes on these. If a see a deal I might jump back into one of those. I just wanted to get back into something smaller and convertible to take up to NC. In FL the raw power is more fun as we don't have many curvy roads around here.
Appreciate 1
mecheng771005.00
      01-31-2023, 05:03 PM   #18
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

In that case just Turo different cars and save yourself a ton of headache.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 06:13 PM   #19
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Ya'll making miatas look better and better!
Why not get an S2000? When you go to sell it, it will probably be worth even more than you paid for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 06:15 PM   #20
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

The people digging on the turbo-4 have no idea. The car makes the top ten sports cars every year for a reason.
Appreciate 1
gatorfast4969.00
      01-31-2023, 08:04 PM   #21
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Why not get an S2000? When you go to sell it, it will probably be worth even more than you paid for it.
I don't fit!

I actually went to see one and I could barely get in the fucking thing. The main reason why is the damn steering wheel will not adjust and is basically sitting on my lap. Definitely considered it though.
Appreciate 1
ScullyD5159.00
      01-31-2023, 08:12 PM   #22
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I don't fit!

I actually went to see one and I could barely get in the fucking thing. The main reason why is the damn steering wheel will not adjust and is basically sitting on my lap. Definitely considered it though.
I’m not a huge guy (6’0” 175), but that’s one of the reasons I sold mine back in 2007. It gets tight and you are hyper aware that any crash will end very poorly for you.

But a Miata is even tighter. I’m a convertibles guy and it’s tough to find a great one at any price point. You should try an older Z4M or Boxster and mod it.
Appreciate 1