BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Handicap Parking Placards

01-07-2018, 11:36 AM   #45
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

There are no handicap slips for the boat MKSixer so I just never wanted to hurt your feelings.

BOTH hips??? I didn't think you were THAT decrepit How soon until Dr takes your license away? I will NOT chauffeur you around in the van
      01-08-2018, 12:17 PM   #46
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusT View Post
I have a legit card due to legit reasons. But nothing you can see whatsoever, when I walk to or from the car I look perfectly able. In addition to that I drive a nice blue M2. Since many people over here seem to think "disabled and elderly people surely only have boring cars" I obviously MUST be a cheater. I don't enjoy much when people look at me strange, upset or angry when I get out or into my M2. I have even been verbally attacked with not so nice words.

Sorry, I'm just venting a bit...
This why I don't say anything to the gals at the office. There are all kinds of handicaps, some of which are more visible than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I feel you on this one. I need both hips replaced and my ortho gets on my case about not having one but my pride wins out over good sense most of the time.
My BIL had both done at once. Pretty rare event. At the time there was only one place in the area that would even do it. Not sure if it's changed since then, about 5 years ago. I have one prosthetic hip at the moment and I tell everyone who will listen: find a doc who uses the anterior approach. Night/day difference in recovery and resulting function/lifestyle, compared to the more traditional posterior approach.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 12:48 PM   #47
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

A lot of the Veterans at our hospital drive cool cars w/ hangtags, so you get used to it. Once you realize what it takes to qualify for one they stop seeming like such an unfair advantage (but there is a special place in hell for those who need a spot so bad they will take one when they don't deserve it).

And for you kids needing hip replacements, I'd avoid doing them both at once if you can possibly help it, unless the surgeons have a very particular reason to want to do it that way (not sure that was what you were talking about, but both at once makes recovering much harder). And a week or two in a decent PM&R rehab will be very worthwhile - faster and more complete recovery.
Appreciate 0