BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Some new idiotic fad?

01-16-2018, 07:57 PM   #89
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb762 View Post
Huh... weird. I have been driving for over 35 years and have never gotten into an accident while backing out. Of course, now that I say that, I'm probably screwed.

I am also going to guess (honestly haven't done the research here) that you would be at fault in most jurisdictions whether you get hit backing out of a spot or pulling forward out of a spot, since the driver in the roadway has the right of way - and you generally have a legal obligation to yield to the driver with the right of way.

Yes, pedestrians suck... but you are also flat out f'd if you drive forward over a pedestrian. Trust me on this one, I have checked into it just to make sure I *really* can't do it...

I certainly believe there are times and places where backing into spots is not only appropriate, but preferred - for example there was a parking garage in DC where you literally couldn't pull forward into a spot because they were so tight and the driving lane was so small. That is the exception rather than the rule though.

Bottom line, tell yourself whatever you need to to make yourself feel good about backing in. I don't know you personally, and I'm sure you are a really great guy, and you shouldn't be concerned about one random, anonymous internet guy's opinion - so believe me that when I say that I think people who back in are generally asshats, it is not a personal comment on you.
You may be right about pulling forward vs. backing out of a spot into a roadway. All I remember is both the cop and my insurance company telling me that if you are reversing you are immediately at fault. The way I see it, I'm generally less likely to drive forward into someone or something than I am backing into something.

No offense taken! I was simply offering up some alternate perspective on why some folks back in, aside from being a douche bag.

Happy motoring!
Appreciate 1
cjb7621220.00
      01-16-2018, 08:07 PM   #90
cjb762
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is, MG 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Ask me how I know. I'm still pissed off 20+ years later....
Sorry to make a second post, and hijack this thread even further, but that comment made me LOL, and makes me wonder if we are related...

I got a ticket for passing on the right when I was in my early twenties. The cop screwed almost everything up that he could on the ticket - wrote down the wrong make & model of motorcycle, cited the wrong statute, etc. The biggest thing though, was that what I did wasn't illegal. The statute specifically said that it is legal to pass a car on the right when it is turning left (which is what happened). There was even case law that said you can go all the way onto the shoulder to pass.

The judge agreed that I didn't break any law by passing on the right, but when I did (this is a no-shit direct quote) I "might have gone into the bike lane, and if I had, that would have been illegal." So she found me guilty anyway and sentenced me to a $50 fine. Never mind the fact that I wasn't charged with going into the bike lane, there was no evidence that I went into the bike lane, and I in fact had not gone into the bike lane.

I was so pissed off about that one that for years afterwards it would keep me up for hours if I happened to think about it before I fell asleep. I still get irrationally pissed off thinking about it to this day for some reason. I know that isn't nearly as bad as getting run into, but there it is...

Last edited by cjb762; 01-17-2018 at 12:30 AM..
Appreciate 0