BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Let's See Your House Projects!

09-28-2020, 10:31 AM   #947
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
I have some tall walls and i want to cover with vines. WHat's the best way to have them creep up the wall? I have wooden trellises but i think they are not professional/finished enough looking for me. I have seen those metal wirings used but they seem to be prefabricated.

So my question is what are people using to cover walls with vines? Prefabricated metal trellises or manually wired walls?
Really depends on what vines you want to creep. Some of them actually attach into the wall and can be destructive so make sure you do some research. Some of them do not need anything aside from a wall itself, and others will use something as simple as fishing line or twine (something that doesn't stick out before the vines take over)
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 09:34 AM   #948
Patrick303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC

Garage List
Starting to see some progress on the house. Front patio poured. TNG, siding, and roof soffits started. They're working on HVAC, electrical, and plumbing now.

Appreciate 4
FMLYSDN1179.50
RickFLM410880.50
wrickem2101.00
      10-02-2020, 10:28 AM   #949
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

You gonna paint or stain/seal that cedar tongue-in-groove? What material are you using for the soffits?

Looking good!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 08:49 PM   #950
Patrick303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_E84 View Post
You gonna paint or stain/seal that cedar tongue-in-groove? What material are you using for the soffits?

Looking good!
Funny you should ask. We're struggling with the exterior color decisions. The wall around the front windows (and back patio windows) will be stone of some kind. Everything else not yet covered will be stucco. We're thinking white stone, white stucco, maybe a medium grey for the siding and either dark or a rich wood stain for the tongue-in-groove. There is also tongue-in-groove under the patio cover. We're thinking either match the rich wood color or do a light blonde stain. Thoughts??

Soffits are made of the same fiberboard as the siding. We would have preferred more tongue-in-groove, but didn't catch it in time and don't want to pay to have it changed. Maybe down the line.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2020, 02:09 PM   #951
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick303 View Post
Funny you should ask. We're struggling with the exterior color decisions. The wall around the front windows (and back patio windows) will be stone of some kind. Everything else not yet covered will be stucco. We're thinking white stone, white stucco, maybe a medium grey for the siding and either dark or a rich wood stain for the tongue-in-groove. There is also tongue-in-groove under the patio cover. We're thinking either match the rich wood color or do a light blonde stain. Thoughts??

Soffits are made of the same fiberboard as the siding. We would have preferred more tongue-in-groove, but didn't catch it in time and don't want to pay to have it changed. Maybe down the line.
Sounds sharp! I like the ideas. I would match the underside of the patio cover with whatever color you stain the tongue-in-groove on the front of the house. I wouldn't go too dark on the cedar - don't want to lose the contrast with the gray paint on the siding. I like the idea of matching the stucco and stone, though! The texture difference should be enough without the colors being different. Don't want the exterior to come across as too patchwork.

No worries - it sounds like you've got enough wood accents on the exterior without fussing about the soffits. Less work to just have them painted cement board, too.

Can't wait to see the progress!

Last edited by hooligan_G01; 10-04-2020 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: kant speel
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2020, 02:59 PM   #952
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid_eg View Post
Finally done.. took way longer than expected.. now no more projects for a while! Still need to clean it all up and take some proper day/night exterior pics.
Damn and they told me I did not have enough space in the yard for a pool... wtf!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 08:58 AM   #953
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words!

This is the link to the fireplace unit on Wayfair. its reasonably priced and produces great amount of heat. Doesnt have electric ignition like the fancy ones but i ran conduit anyway in event i want to upgrade later,. This one has ignition on battery and super easy to operate. I also fabbed up a custom aluminum cover for the top so i can use the firepit as a table due to such small amount of space in the sideyard...
I assume you've got that connected to a natural gas line, as I don't see a propane tank sitting around anywhere?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 09:07 AM   #954
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90 S13, 22 MSP, 23 JLUR 4xe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_E84 View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the kind words!

This is the https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdp/17-stories-beideman-concrete-fire-pit-table-w002236809.html"]link[/URL] to the fireplace unit on Wayfair. its reasonably priced and produces great amount of heat. Doesnt have electric ignition like the fancy ones but i ran conduit anyway in event i want to upgrade later,. This one has ignition on battery and super easy to operate. I also fabbed up a custom aluminum cover for the top so i can use the firepit as a table due to such small amount of space in the sideyard...
I assume you've got that connected to a natural gas line, as I don't see a propane tank sitting around anywhere?
Correct, it's NG version and I ran a line from the pool equipment room.
      10-06-2020, 04:22 PM   #955
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

basement project on hold for the time being as i've been working at finishing and painting the final bay in the garage! got some more black cabinets on order to be installed on the open right side wall there as well as a black refrigerator/freezer! measured the cabinets and refrigerator and i have plenty of room

also received both my tire storage racks from TireRack.com. installed one of them and the other will be installed above my HF tool box. i also ordered the tire totes to give it a nicer aesthetics appeal. Very easy to install if i may add

this is the wall where the new refrigerator and cabinets will be installed

now wanna ask you guys if you think having the garage rails painted flat black look cool or should i leave it metal looking? i think the flat black looks pretty clean. let me know

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      10-06-2020, 05:24 PM   #956
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

I think it looks better black.
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2020, 09:45 PM   #957
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
The black looks good, but won’t the tracks just wear back to aluminum after a few openings? Maybe it won’t be noticeable.
Appreciate 2
      10-06-2020, 09:56 PM   #958
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
The black looks good, but won’t the tracks just wear back to aluminum after a few openings? Maybe it won’t be noticeable.
if you ever look at the inside rails the wheels sit on the bottom part of the track. it doesn't rub against the side or top.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2020, 09:24 AM   #959
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Is it too late to change the fridge? I find that skinny freezer absolutely infuriating to use.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 03:30 PM   #960
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Is it too late to change the fridge? I find that skinny freezer absolutely infuriating to use.
haven't ordered it yet

so i spent this morning painting one of the garage rails. i must say i'm digging it i just gotta go back and to some white touch up paint on the trim pieces

Appreciate 4
vreihen1614885.00
SCS55291.00
      10-07-2020, 04:51 PM   #961
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Looks good. I've always thought just plain galvanized steel looks cheap and like shit most of the time.
Appreciate 4
vreihen1614885.00
King Rudi13152.00
      10-07-2020, 06:21 PM   #962
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
also received both my tire storage racks from TireRack.com. installed one of them and the other will be installed above my HF tool box. i also ordered the tire totes to give it a nicer aesthetics appeal. Very easy to install if i may add
[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
Nice! I've had the same Tire Rack paraphernalia on my garage wall for awhile. I even took them with me when I moved. lol. The tire totes have held up well over the last decade but oils from the tire rubber will eventually bleed in.
Attached Images

Last edited by bosstones; 10-07-2020 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-08-2020, 12:35 AM   #963
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Nice! I've had the same Tire Rack paraphernalia on my garage wall for awhile. I even took them with me when I moved. lol. The tire totes have held up well over the last decade but oils from the tire rubber will eventually bleed in.
Didn't think about the oils? I wait and see.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 07:12 AM   #964
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Didn't think about the oils? I wait and see.
You can't really tell while they're up on the rack, only when you can see more of the sides/faces. It's not like they are dripping with oil and it doesn't transfer off so i wouldn't worry about it. The totes have held up well since I got them (~10yrs ago) and haven't worn thru or torn. Definitely worth the $$$!
      10-08-2020, 08:20 AM   #965
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

OK good don't get the skinny freezer fridge. They are a poor design, so annoying in the freezer section.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410880.50
      10-08-2020, 08:26 AM   #966
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
OK good don't get the skinny freezer fridge. They are a poor design, so annoying in the freezer section.
I agree. For the garage we got a simple, cheap fridge that has freezer on top and fridge on bottom with no ice / water dispenser. Between the fridge style and elimination of the dispenser we were able to get a smaller fridge and there was more than enough space in the freezer (and more usable space in the fridge too).
      10-08-2020, 08:29 AM   #967
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
haven't ordered it yet

so i spent this morning painting one of the garage rails. i must say i'm digging it i just gotta go back and to some white touch up paint on the trim pieces
The black looks good brother. I've thought about doing the same to mine when I repaint the garage.

The inevitable garage remodel/5S project will most likely happen next spring. I'm considering cabinets, floors, walls and trying to come up with ideas for the inside of the garage door. I've made friends with the local sign shop company while having them make custom orders for work. Considering a big vinyl graphic of some kind, just not sure what artwork to use.

Curious on the painting of the galvanized rails. I noticed you painted your spring as well. Will that impact annual service on the parts? I guess my question is although it looks nice, will the paint prevent penetration of the oils used in service and will the oils/lube stain the paint after?
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2020, 03:21 PM   #968
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
The black looks good brother. I've thought about doing the same to mine when I repaint the garage.

The inevitable garage remodel/5S project will most likely happen next spring. I'm considering cabinets, floors, walls and trying to come up with ideas for the inside of the garage door. I've made friends with the local sign shop company while having them make custom orders for work. Considering a big vinyl graphic of some kind, just not sure what artwork to use.

Curious on the painting of the galvanized rails. I noticed you painted your spring as well. Will that impact annual service on the parts? I guess my question is although it looks nice, will the paint prevent penetration of the oils used in service and will the oils/lube stain the paint after?
doesn't look like the paint should cause any issues with the spring. i mean, the spring was already black...i just touched it up.

on that note i've been trying to find a black refrigerator/freezer without the water dispenser but most i've found are smaller. i'm looking for at least 20 cubic+
Appreciate 0