BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The Social Dilemma Netflix

10-05-2020, 07:42 PM   #45
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by six75LT View Post
i guess technically it can "allow" them to listen, but that doesn't mean that they do. that would require a serious amount of data (to record and send every single second of every conversation of every single FB user). people do bring that up a lot... "i was talking to my friend about XYZ and then minutes later i got an ad about it!"... but they neglect the part where they searched about XYZ the night before, or in some way have shown interest toward XYZ.
I don't know what you consider a "serious" amount of data, but FB loads hundreds of megs of pictures and videos to your phone constantly and in the background. How much bandwidth do you think "Hey Siri, what's a conspiracy theory?" uses in comparison?

Using speech to text is very low bandwidth compared to anything else, and I'm not claiming Facebook perpetually records you to use every word you say on a server. More importantly, if they did it constantly it would easily pop up in the traffic flowing over the web proxy.

Has Facebook (or Google or Amazon) done this in the past? Yes, the technical challenges of doing it are extremely low, and legal/moral issues aside, there is a gray line between "Recording" and analyzing for keywords. Do they do it any more, most likely no. Or perhaps only in certain conditions after Zuckerberg testified about it in congress. Your phone records you constantly, thats how it knows when you say "hey Siri" - but it doesn't spring into action until the wake words are sent.

Again, I was building big data research tools. Every Google/Apple public private API that could scrub data worth anything was something I've had to go through at some point in time. The machine learning alone that can be gathered from your images you post gives away just as much data as what hashtags you use (by tagging images, we effectively become classifiers for ML algorithms - we do the work for them just like a captcha).

99.9% of this isn't nefarious, they just want to sell you more stuff - but knowing that all these data collection sources exist and turning off those which you don't absolutely need becomes more and more valuable. "Hey we need access to your camera and microphone, how about one of these silly AR masks that make you look like batman in exchange for that data?"
      10-05-2020, 08:04 PM   #46
six75LT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
I don't know what you consider a "serious" amount of data, but FB loads hundreds of megs of pictures and videos to your phone constantly and in the background. How much bandwidth do you think "Hey Siri, what's a conspiracy theory?" uses in comparison?

Using speech to text is very low bandwidth compared to anything else, and I'm not claiming Facebook perpetually records you to use every word you say on a server. More importantly, if they did it constantly it would easily pop up in the traffic flowing over the web proxy.

Has Facebook (or Google or Amazon) done this in the past? Yes, the technical challenges of doing it are extremely low, and legal/moral issues aside, there is a gray line between "Recording" and analyzing for keywords. Do they do it any more, most likely no. Or perhaps only in certain conditions after Zuckerberg testified about it in congress. Your phone records you constantly, thats how it knows when you say "hey Siri" - but it doesn't spring into action until the wake words are sent.

Again, I was building big data research tools. Every Google/Apple public private API that could scrub data worth anything was something I've had to go through at some point in time. The machine learning alone that can be gathered from your images you post gives away just as much data as what hashtags you use (by tagging images, we effectively become classifiers for ML algorithms - we do the work for them just like a captcha).

99.9% of this isn't nefarious, they just want to sell you more stuff - but knowing that all these data collection sources exist and turning off those which you don't absolutely need becomes more and more valuable. "Hey we need access to your camera and microphone, how about one of these silly AR masks that make you look like batman in exchange for that data?"
i think we're on the same page here then. and for the record i am speaking strictly of FB. i don't know what apple does or any other tech company, but as someone who buys ads on FB i've seen what their algo can do and it really is mind-blowingly good for the reasons you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 03:56 PM   #47
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
The one "good" thing I see about social media is it's ability to help people organize for positive reasons. I firmly believe social media will be the ultimate way people organize and over-throw and/or "adjust" governments, especially in China and certain countries in the Middle East....
I disagree because people blindly think what is on THEIR feed is the fact and don't do the due diligence and see the whole picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
...I never understood how people allow a platform such as FB to rule their lives and many times ruin it. I see it as akin to credit cards.......
One of the people in the documentary said an analogy and it was good. I am paraphrasing but it said think about a long piece of thin metal. It gets bent ever so slightly constantly until you are in a totally different position thinking a different way spending money in a different way. I totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
The issue with the "innocent" using, the negative gets through. We'd be a much better world w/o. Make a call, send pics of kids or hey visit.

Its a another long list of "convenience" making society lazy and disrespectful.

No assumptions made, plenty of studies showing making folks depressed, angry and sad, even the ones trying to just enjoy benefits. We are farther apart as a society. 10 executives said that, not me.

(they were reluctant to offset the positive in most cases)
Totally visible in the younger generation.
Appreciate 1