Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Moving to the US

Hi guys,

It looks like I will be moving to the US for at least 3 months, possibly 6 months or even permanently. I've been doing some reading and I've noticed there are a lot of differences between Europe and the US. Silly things such as your public bathroom stalls offering less privacy than your average European one

I am really looking forward to it and was hoping to get some tips/hints from some Americans here!

I'll be staying at or around Lancaster, PA.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 06:09 PM   #2
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

I love my country but damn there is a lot of BS going on here.

Tip---don't give your hard earned money to anyone waitingnon the side of the road asking for it.
Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      03-06-2017, 06:25 PM   #3
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
I love my country but damn there is a lot of BS going on here.

Tip---don't give your hard earned money to anyone waitingnon the side of the road asking for it.
Yeah, well, I was going to look past all the bullshit going on lol. For the most part anyways :P

Not in the habit of giving free money to strangers either.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 06:53 PM   #4
Bluewater328iT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328iT

I have been to Europe but never worked there for any longer than a few days at a time. I did work in South America for two years. I think it helps to work in another country and see the world outside of the view you have always had. If you are coming with a company who is sponsoring you, then they and your coworkers will make things easier for you. Most Americans welcome immigrants and diversity and those who don't, just avoid them.

Getting your home in order and getting a routine of going to and from work are first priority. Then look around Lancaster and find out what things there are to do around there that interest you. If you like BMWs, look up the local BMWCCA chapter and explore the events that the regional forums might be mentioning. Enjoy your time here!
      03-06-2017, 06:56 PM   #5
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

What line of work are you in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2017, 07:02 PM   #6
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Our cars are also left hand drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 07:06 PM   #7
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjkoevoets View Post
Hi guys,

It looks like I will be moving to the US for at least 3 months, possibly 6 months or even permanently. I've been doing some reading and I've noticed there are a lot of differences between Europe and the US. Silly things such as your public bathroom stalls offering less privacy than your average European one

I am really looking forward to it and was hoping to get some tips/hints from some Americans here!

This is pretty much the standard public bathroom setup:
Attached Images

nyalpine907423.50
fecurtis3262.00
Wolf 3352340.50
2M500.50
mookie45770.00
      03-06-2017, 07:06 PM   #8
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep
Drives: slut whisperer

do you have to move to lancaster, pa due to work??

cause i would not move to that amish city...nothing to do there, and PA drivers are the worst...roads are horrible, standard of living is low, homelessness is an issue...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 07:07 PM   #9
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater328iT View Post
Most Americans welcome immigrants and diversity and those who don't, just avoid them.
lol
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 07:10 PM   #10
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 6MT YMB M3, 1974 Corvette

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
OP, welcome to the Grande O'l USA (well almost). I spent the last 2 years living in Amstenrade NL (working in Brunssum) and am now back here. I got my Xpel put on in Tilburg.

I can offer this to you.

1. Free refills on soft drinks here - yes as much as you can carry internally out the door with you for all one price!

2. Tip your waiter/waitress 15-20% of the bill, tip is not included in the bill -- no "rounding up" here.

3. The food is MUCH better than in Holland and much more diverse.

4. Go to KFC here and you will notice the steroid fed chickens here produce a breast 2-3 times of the size of the "yard birds" they serve in the NL

5. Pot is not legal here (only in a few states) and it's still not Federally legal. Possession of marijuana is illegal in Pennsylvania

6. Lancaster PA is Amish country, go to an Amish restaurant and dine "family style". Check out Gettysburg and Hershey Park as they are not too far. Watch the 254 minute Gettysburg movie before you go and the sites you see will mean much more to you like little/big round top and hells kitchen. You will also enjoy seeing the Amish buggies all over the road and their weird looking bicycles.

7. Speaking of Bicycles - there are very few designated bike trails here in the USA and especially in PA but they have a lot of farm roads that have less traffic. Also drivers don't yield to bikers here like in the NL.

8. Driving - right is not right (as in they go first), right on a red light is allowed here , also cant park in opposite direction on other side of road (park like you're in Germany).

Best of luck in your American adventure and report on your own observed differences when you get here.

Appreciate 4
bimmette6452.50
2M500.50
      03-06-2017, 07:19 PM   #11
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

If you go to a sports event and theres a pissing trough, its your new duty to have a sword fight with whoever is next to you.

Trust me, its an American thing.

Also, dont stay in Lancaster, find a surrounding suburb or something. Lancaster is like traveling back in time.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2017, 07:51 PM   #12
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Definitely do not stay in Lancaster. Live in Philly and suck it up to make the drive to Lancaster lol
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 07:58 PM   #13
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
This is pretty much the standard public bathroom setup:
That actually looks genius ! People can share things on this toilet !
Meanwhile I think it's a kinda duo shit...But I'm sure sharing the noises and smell is the downside .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 08:10 PM   #14
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

The most important thing is a nice place to live, and a safe place. I think a lot of foreigners are surprised by the amount of poverty and trash/liter in small towns and cities.
The nice thing about Lancaster is that with Franklin & Marshall College the college town enviroment is a plus.
In the spring and summer Lancaster is really verdant and nice.

So finding a nice place to live is going to be your priority. And then transportation, don't expect the high level of train and bus service as many European countries.

Now a city like Wash D.C. that caters to transients and is the center of power is a bit easier to find good housing and keep you occupied.

But the Lancaster area could be nice, the more money you have the better obviously.

Years ago things like the Hershey factory and Mack truck plant were cool to take tours, but those are no longer available.

The Yuengling Brewery is cool, and over in New Hope PA, the Questar telescopes are a great acquisition.

The Covered Bridge Metric Century is a very good bike ride.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 08:16 PM   #15
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRPOWER View Post
OP, welcome to the Grande O'l USA (well almost). I spent the last 2 years living in Amstenrade NL (working in Brunssum) and am now back here. I got my Xpel put on in Tilburg.

I can offer this to you.

1. Free refills on soft drinks here - yes as much as you can carry internally out the door with you for all one price!

2. Tip your waiter/waitress 15-20% of the bill, tip is not included in the bill -- no "rounding up" here.

3. The food is MUCH better than in Holland and much more diverse.

4. Go to KFC here and you will notice the steroid fed chickens here produce a breast 2-3 times of the size of the "yard birds" they serve in the NL

5. Pot is not legal here (only in a few states) and it's still not Federally legal. Possession of marijuana is illegal in Pennsylvania

6. Lancaster PA is Amish country, go to an Amish restaurant and dine "family style". Check out Gettysburg and Hershey Park as they are not too far. Watch the 254 minute Gettysburg movie before you go and the sites you see will mean much more to you like little/big round top and hells kitchen. You will also enjoy seeing the Amish buggies all over the road and their weird looking bicycles.

7. Speaking of Bicycles - there are very few designated bike trails here in the USA and especially in PA but they have a lot of farm roads that have less traffic. Also drivers don't yield to bikers here like in the NL.

8. Driving - right is not right (as in they go first), right on a red light is allowed here , also cant park in opposite direction on other side of road (park like you're in Germany).

Best of luck in your American adventure and report on your own observed differences when you get here.
There's wisdom and there's knowledge.

This is both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 2
AIRPOWER1682.50
Axius4202.00
      03-06-2017, 08:56 PM   #16
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

I feel like your company is punishing you... Nobody wants to go / live on Lancaster, PA... It sure as shit ain't Lancaster, England...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 09:07 PM   #17
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjkoevoets View Post
Hi guys,

Your not banned? Well we can work on that. Believe me.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 09:18 PM   #18
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

What country are you coming from? One thing I've learned is each country in europe has some type of food they are good at, most not so good. Here you will find much better produce and beef. In Europe, better this or that depending on which country. Germany, sausage, beer, and milk. England cheese. France bread and sauces. Etc.
America has probably the best mix of food because people from all over come and bring it with them.

But to give you good contrasts I need to know where you are coming from.

Some things you can do here are shoot guns, typically at a range. Cheap gas means drive a lot. Lower taxes are nice. Go hiking, biking, national parks. See NYC. Travel about. You'll see a lot of Amish and cows in Lancaster. Do a vacation to Florida. If you ski try Vermont or out west in Colorado and Utah. Go to Washington DC. Too much to list. Use your GPS and try to see something new each weekend. Watch CNN and FOX News. The truth is somewhere in between. Each state and most cities have different personalities. Enjoy and welcome.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 09:21 PM   #19
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Oh and the toilets aren't broken. In Europe they have very little water due to water scarcity. Here the bowls are full so you don't need to scrub after each crap.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 02:14 AM   #20
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Big difference between three months, six months and permanently...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 02:30 AM   #21
Umi|all|day
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 SS M3 E92

Stay away from Florida and you should be good, That's like America's trash bag.

Just kidding
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 08:10 AM   #22
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
Here you will find much better produce
Million times no, European produce is far better as it is mor elocal. All mega farmed here.
Appreciate 2