My condolences.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2017, 09:39 AM   #24
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Lancaster is incredibly beautiful especially in the autumn time. Has an old world charm you won't find anywhere outside of the mid-atlantic and northeastern states.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 10:54 AM   #25
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
This is pretty much the standard public bathroom setup:
He is moving Lancaster so the average Bathroom looks like this, you have lots of privacy, but you just need to watch out for the poopbears.

Just one other piece of information about PA and Lancaster, PA has the largest populations of people living off the grid and most of them are in Lancaster and that is because of the Amish.

Last edited by Maestro; 03-07-2017 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7555.50
      03-07-2017, 11:05 AM   #26
Gooner5643
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3, 06 Civic Si

You must head to a range to shoot some guns. You can't possibly visit America and not do it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 12:01 PM   #27
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Million times no, European produce is far better as it is mor elocal. All mega farmed here.
Guess it depends where. My friend lives in Regensburg and can't get enough produce here. I went there and produce was dreadful as was the beef. There was no chicken either. Only turkey. Turkey parmigiano is not the same.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 12:02 PM   #28
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooner5643 View Post
You must head to a range to shoot some guns. You can't possibly visit America and not do it.
Orlando has belt fed full auto for rent at some of the ranges.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 12:13 PM   #29
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Jesus, who did you piss off to get sent to Lancaster
Appreciate 3
Germanauto9665.50
upstatedoc7555.50
fecurtis3260.00
      03-07-2017, 12:15 PM   #30
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi|all|day View Post
Stay away from Florida and you should be good, That's like America's trash bag.

Just kidding
Naw, that's Ohio/Kentucky/Indiana/Pennsylvania. Basically the midwest in general.
      03-07-2017, 01:09 PM   #31
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 6MT YMB M3, 1974 Corvette

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
What country are you coming from? One thing I've learned is each country in europe has some type of food they are good at, most not so good. Here you will find much better produce and beef. In Europe, better this or that depending on which country. Germany, sausage, beer, and milk. England cheese. France bread and sauces. Etc.
America has probably the best mix of food because people from all over come and bring it with them.

But to give you good contrasts I need to know where you are coming from.

Some things you can do here are shoot guns, typically at a range. Cheap gas means drive a lot. Lower taxes are nice. Go hiking, biking, national parks. See NYC. Travel about. You'll see a lot of Amish and cows in Lancaster. Do a vacation to Florida. If you ski try Vermont or out west in Colorado and Utah. Go to Washington DC. Too much to list. Use your GPS and try to see something new each weekend. Watch CNN and FOX News. The truth is somewhere in between. Each state and most cities have different personalities. Enjoy and welcome.
Fundguy.....his profile says Breda NL

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 02:17 PM   #32
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Ahhh. Netherlands. Should enjoy it here
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 05:20 PM   #33
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Hi guys,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to reply. I'm trying to gather as much information about the US to be at least somewhat prepared for the big fat culture shock coming my way, so really appreciating your replies.

Seems Lancaster is a bit of a hate it or love it place looking at most replies, so I'm in for an interesting time :P

==========================================

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater328iT View Post
I have been to Europe but never worked there for any longer than a few days at a time. I did work in South America for two years. I think it helps to work in another country and see the world outside of the view you have always had. If you are coming with a company who is sponsoring you, then they and your coworkers will make things easier for you. Most Americans welcome immigrants and diversity and those who don't, just avoid them.
I feel the same. In my experience you can learn a lot that way. Yes, my company is sponsoring me. The US offices are having some real difficulties recruiting someone locally and they really need someone who already knows the ins and outs of the company as they’re drowning in work and don’t really have time to teach someone how the company operates. They also don’t want to risk hiring someone who turns out not to be suitable for the job. I’ve already spoken with my to-be colleagues in the US and am looking forward to meeting them in person. Nice folks, so I’m not really worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater328iT View Post
Getting your home in order and getting a routine of going to and from work are first priority. Then look around Lancaster and find out what things there are to do around there that interest you. If you like BMWs, look up the local BMWCCA chapter and explore the events that the regional forums might be mentioning. Enjoy your time here!
Yeah, I was thinking about that as well. It will probably take some time to get used to all the different and new things. I’m young, should be able to adapt reasonably quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
What line of work are you in?
I’m in IT infrastructure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Our cars are also left hand drive.
Luckily, yes. I am very happy about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
This is pretty much the standard public bathroom setup:
It’s not stupid if it works

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoosh View Post
do you have to move to lancaster, pa due to work??

cause i would not move to that amish city...nothing to do there, and PA drivers are the worst...roads are horrible, standard of living is low, homelessness is an issue...
Yeah, company is going to take care of housing. Currently pending visa approval, so I don’t have any details yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRPOWER View Post
OP, welcome to the Grande O'l USA (well almost). I spent the last 2 years living in Amstenrade NL (working in Brunssum) and am now back here. I got my Xpel put on in Tilburg.

I can offer this to you.

1. Free refills on soft drinks here - yes as much as you can carry internally out the door with you for all one price!

2. Tip your waiter/waitress 15-20% of the bill, tip is not included in the bill -- no "rounding up" here.

3. The food is MUCH better than in Holland and much more diverse.

4. Go to KFC here and you will notice the steroid fed chickens here produce a breast 2-3 times of the size of the "yard birds" they serve in the NL

5. Pot is not legal here (only in a few states) and it's still not Federally legal. Possession of marijuana is illegal in Pennsylvania

6. Lancaster PA is Amish country, go to an Amish restaurant and dine "family style". Check out Gettysburg and Hershey Park as they are not too far. Watch the 254 minute Gettysburg movie before you go and the sites you see will mean much more to you like little/big round top and hells kitchen. You will also enjoy seeing the Amish buggies all over the road and their weird looking bicycles.

7. Speaking of Bicycles - there are very few designated bike trails here in the USA and especially in PA but they have a lot of farm roads that have less traffic. Also drivers don't yield to bikers here like in the NL.

8. Driving - right is not right (as in they go first), right on a red light is allowed here , also cant park in opposite direction on other side of road (park like you're in Germany).

Best of luck in your American adventure and report on your own observed differences when you get here.
1. Major improvement over Europe! Here they’ll charge you at least €2,50 for a refill, if not more. And you just know they’re able to buy it cheap and have you pay top dollar for it.

2. Yes! I have been reading on the US a lot lately and this is one of the first things that came up. Here in the Netherlands you don’t tip unless service was really, really good. Otherwise you just pay what they charge you. I really hope I’m not going to offend someone over this. I’m rather confused over who I should tip and who I shouldn’t. You tip the waitress at a restaurant, but the guy that fills up your gas tank gets de nada? This is so not going to end well

3. Great, I’m going to get fat. Well done America, well done (still looking forward to it though :P)

4. A colleague of mine who has been to the US warned me about this. Do NOT under any circumstances order a large <anything> in the US, because they will damn near deliver a shipping container at your table :P I think I will have to get used to doggie bags.

5. No problem! I don’t smoke weed at all.

6. Sounds like fun. I do intend to learn more about US history when I’m there as I know too little about it. Never been much of a history nerd, but since I’ve been looking into Germany’s history (HRE, Prussia etc.) I’m getting more and more into it. One question though, what exactly does “family style” dining entail?

7. Yeah, I can live with that. I’m not your typical Dutch cyclist. I bought a BMW to drive it, not to store it in the garage

8. Oh boy, also did some reading on traffic regulations, which conveniently you Americans decided was a good idea to have them differ between states. Highway intersections on both the left and right side instead of exclusively on the right? I don’t understand how a European driver’s license is valid in the US. Maybe it’s not so bad, but the things I’ve read, ugh…

Yeah, definitely, looking forward to sharing some of my experiences. Did you enjoy your stay in the Netherlands by the way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
If you go to a sports event and theres a pissing trough, its your new duty to have a sword fight with whoever is next to you.

Trust me, its an American thing.

Also, dont stay in Lancaster, find a surrounding suburb or something. Lancaster is like traveling back in time.
I’ll let you know how that works out

Mhm, not too worried about that really. I’ll be working during the weekdays and in the weekends I want to explore the area. I don’t have to stay in Lancaster when I’m not working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post
Definitely do not stay in Lancaster. Live in Philly and suck it up to make the drive to Lancaster lol
Yeah, that’s unlikely to happen haha. Why the hate on Lancaster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
That actually looks genius ! People can share things on this toilet !
Meanwhile I think it's a kinda duo shit...But I'm sure sharing the noises and smell is the downside .
Details my friend, details. Details one can conveniently choose to ignore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
The most important thing is a nice place to live, and a safe place. I think a lot of foreigners are surprised by the amount of poverty and trash/liter in small towns and cities.
The nice thing about Lancaster is that with Franklin & Marshall College the college town enviroment is a plus.
In the spring and summer Lancaster is really verdant and nice.

So finding a nice place to live is going to be your priority. And then transportation, don't expect the high level of train and bus service as many European countries.

Now a city like Wash D.C. that caters to transients and is the center of power is a bit easier to find good housing and keep you occupied.

But the Lancaster area could be nice, the more money you have the better obviously.

Years ago things like the Hershey factory and Mack truck plant were cool to take tours, but those are no longer available.

The Yuengling Brewery is cool, and over in New Hope PA, the Questar telescopes are a great acquisition.

The Covered Bridge Metric Century is a very good bike ride.
Hmm, sounds good for the most part. Some European cities have little and junk lying around everywhere too, so I’m hoping it won’t really be that bad. I’m also not expecting the company to house me in the local Amish crack den near the Amish set of the Crips :P

How public are these colleges? Can you like visit them and have a look around or is that generally frowned upon? I’d be interested to see how a US college or university look as I’ve only ever seen them in movies. It’s just one of those things I’d like to see or visit.

Thanks for the sightseeing tips! Sounds great, especially the brewery one as I like tasting different beers from different countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
There's wisdom and there's knowledge.

This is both.
Thanks for confirming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
I feel like your company is punishing you... Nobody wants to go / live on Lancaster, PA... It sure as shit ain't Lancaster, England...
Yeah, well, they could have also sent me to Detroit, so I don’t think I’m being punished that much :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
Your not banned? Well we can work on that. Believe me.
Banned? For what? Being Dutch and fat?

Quote:
What country are you coming from? One thing I've learned is each country in europe has some type of food they are good at, most not so good. Here you will find much better produce and beef. In Europe, better this or that depending on which country. Germany, sausage, beer, and milk. England cheese. France bread and sauces. Etc.
America has probably the best mix of food because people from all over come and bring it with them.

But to give you good contrasts I need to know where you are coming from.

Some things you can do here are shoot guns, typically at a range. Cheap gas means drive a lot. Lower taxes are nice. Go hiking, biking, national parks. See NYC. Travel about. You'll see a lot of Amish and cows in Lancaster. Do a vacation to Florida. If you ski try Vermont or out west in Colorado and Utah. Go to Washington DC. Too much to list. Use your GPS and try to see something new each weekend. Watch CNN and FOX News. The truth is somewhere in between. Each state and most cities have different personalities. Enjoy and welcome.
As someone already answered, I’m from the Netherlands and live near the city of Breda.

Yeah, I’d like to try that when I’m there as well. Haven’t looked into the possibilities yet though. Yeah, cheap gas sounds great. With what they’re charging for gas over here you’d think they’re selling pure gold. It’s not just gas that is much cheaper, it’s the cars as well. I looked on Carfax and found used M235i’s being sold for just under 40k USD. I bought mine used at nearly 60k USD over here. In the US I could have bought a brand new M2 for the same amount of money. Visiting a national park is something I definitely want to do as well. Here all I get to see are endless amounts of flat farmlands with the most exciting animal being a cow (I’m going to feel right at home in Lancaster lol).

Going out of state may be overdoing it as I expect to have free time only in the evenings and weekends. So many places to visit, so many things to do

Haha, yeah, I know all about CNN and Fox, both are full shit

Quote:
Oh and the toilets aren't broken. In Europe they have very little water due to water scarcity. Here the bowls are full so you don't need to scrub after each crap.
Haha, that is one interpretation, yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Big difference between three months, six months and permanently...
Yeah, basically, the US branch needs someone for at the very least three months. Provided I live up to their expectations and I want it, they want to extend it to six months. If all still goes well, they would like me to move to the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi|all|day View Post
Stay away from Florida and you should be good, That's like America's trash bag.

Just kidding
Noted :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
My condolences.
But you’re Canadian o.O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Lancaster is incredibly beautiful especially in the autumn time. Has an old world charm you won't find anywhere outside of the mid-atlantic and northeastern states.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
He is moving Lancaster so the average Bathroom looks like this, you have lots of privacy, but you just need to watch out for the poopbears.

Just one other piece of information about PA and Lancaster, PA has the largest populations of people living off the grid and most of them are in Lancaster and that is because of the Amish.

I’ll be sure to bring a big stick with me to the bathroom then And elsewhere :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooner5643 View Post
Yeah, ‘d love to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post
Jesus, who did you piss off to get sent to Lancaster
They didn’t send me, I volunteered

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
Naw, that's Ohio/Kentucky/Indiana/Pennsylvania. Basically the midwest in general.
You Americans really love America don’t you lol

Quote:
Ahhh. Netherlands. Should enjoy it here
Great, hoping I will, yes!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.

Last edited by wjjkoevoets; 03-11-2017 at 05:08 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2017, 05:23 PM   #34
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

This might just be me, but I'd take Detroit over Lancaster.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2017, 05:33 PM   #35
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

For mid 40s you can get an m5. You may want an suv over here so you can carry more stuff, snow, and do some light off road site seeing. 235 is fine but small for road trips. We have big expansive highways and bigger is more comfortable. And you will have snow for a couple months if you make it to winter.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 05:38 PM   #36
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

For mid 40s you can get a used 2013 m5. You may want an suv over here so you can carry more stuff, snow, and do some light off road site seeing. 235 is fine but small for road trips. We have big expansive highways and bigger is more comfortable. And you will have snow for a couple months if you make it to winter. Remember, bottled water costs about the same as gas. $2.15/US gallon. I'm getting a 2014 m5 for my daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 10:50 PM   #37
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatish View Post
This might just be me, but I'd take Detroit over Lancaster.
Lmao ya'll are some savages against Lancaster here.

I lived for many years in a suburb of Detroit, trust me you don't want to even visit the city let alone live in it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 10:51 PM   #38
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Also OP, please become an Eagles fan so we can make fun of you forever and ever.

Signed,
- A Lions fan
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 02:58 AM   #39
ErkanTR16
64-bit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i xDrive

Garage List
Welcome!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      03-08-2017, 01:48 PM   #40
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjkoevoets View Post
I'll be staying at or around Lancaster, PA.
I'm sorry.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 01:49 PM   #41
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Definitely do not stay in Lancaster. Live in Philly and suck it up to make the drive to Lancaster lol
I'd rather deal with Amish people than Eagles fans.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 02:10 PM   #42
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Quote:
Yeah, that’s unlikely to happen haha. Why the hate on Lancaster?
lol It's just very rural and boring. Occasional massive pile of horse shit in the middle of the road. Like previously mentioned it really is like stepping back in time.... not like heading to the historic parts of your town in Europe. Some of the roads have some serious blind turns and hills. I've heard stories of people driving too fast coming over a blind hill and slamming into a tractor or farm equipment. So just be cautious of that when you're out for a brisk countryside drive.

Have you made your way out there yet to even check it out? I'd suggest doing that before making a decision.

One of those family style dine in restaurants that is good and contributes to the growing obesity problem in America is: http://www.goodnplenty.com/ I thought it was pretty damn good lol

Cant speak for any bars and night life there but I'm sure there is basically none.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 02:17 PM   #43
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
lol It's just very rural and boring. Occasional massive pile of horse shit in the middle of the road.
In fairness, that pretty much describes the entire state.
Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      03-08-2017, 03:07 PM   #44
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
You Americans really love America don’t you lol
There's lots of things that are awesome about America, the midwest just isn't one of them. We have all the worst things America has to offer and none of the best. The winters are bitter cold but with very little snow and nothing even resembling a decent ski resort. The summers are unbearably hot and the humidity is between 90%-100% at all times, but we're landlocked = no beaches. Most of the women are fat, most of the men are alcoholics (because there's literally nothing else to do). Don't even get me started on the heroin epidemic, and weed is still illegal (at least here in Ohio).