BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Sous Vide for Christmas

12-26-2017, 07:52 AM   #1
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Sous Vide for Christmas

Wife got me a sous vide cooker for Christmas.

OMG i can't believe i have been missing out on this. I suggest everyone stop what they are doing and go get one of these.

This was cooked at 132 water temp. I think im going to bring it down to 128 on the next round. Still amazing!

Name:  image1.jpeg
Views: 1653
Size:  289.7 KB

Cattivo680.50
Soul_Glo13342.00
      12-26-2017, 07:56 AM   #2
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 435x MSport

Garage List
Oh man I got my wife one last year. What a treat (for me mainly) lololol. I never really knew anything about sous vide but it seemed like it was the 'gift of the year' last year. Everyone i talked to was getting one for someone haha.

Anyway, one thing that skeeved me the heck out was when we made chicken. It says to cook it at 140 for X amount of hours. Of course growing up you always hear 165F for chicken. (of course thats flash heat vs long term).

It tasted great, super juicy, but i just couldn't get the thought of 'will i die' out of my head.
      12-26-2017, 08:10 AM   #3
Uber Commuter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328D xDrive

Garage List
I got one of these for my wife this year for christmas; can't wait for the cooking to start
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13342.00
      12-26-2017, 08:15 AM   #4
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Corvette Grand Sport

I've been using the sous vide technique for about 4 years now and I swear by it. I'm on my 3rd immersion circulator, just bought the ChefSteps Joule (right) after using two Anova Ones (left). Lots of guys give it shit for being some new age hipster stuff because they've been doing the reverse sear, which is also a great technique that I've used before too but it isn't nearly as precise or consistent as sous vide. Most of the naysayers haven't tried it or didn't realize they have because many high end restaurants use this technique but may not advertise that fact. Enjoy!

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 08:20 AM   #5
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

For beef, 128* is the magic number for rich pink medium rare.

Beef cheeks topped with onion strings over garlic mashed and gravy.

Sirloin over mushroom stroganoff.

Last edited by daixloxbmw; 12-26-2017 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 3
upstatedoc7555.50
nyalpine907423.50
iamwingman1203.50
      12-26-2017, 11:12 AM   #6
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

ive been wanting to do this. what are some good cheap options out there? cheap i mean around 300$ for everything.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 11:14 AM   #7
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

How are you guys searing the outside? Pan? Grill? And do you sear it before or after cooking?
      12-26-2017, 11:17 AM   #8
Uber Commuter
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal f80 View Post
ive been wanting to do this. what are some good cheap options out there? cheap i mean around 300$ for everything.
Just spent ~$200 for a 12 qt container, lid, Anova Sous Vide with wifi & bluetooth, and a hardcover cookbook for my wife. All of it is on Amazon with free shipping (Prime).

$300 is easy
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 11:36 AM   #9
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Commuter View Post
Just spent ~$200 for a 12 qt container, lid, Anova Sous Vide with wifi & bluetooth, and a hardcover cookbook for my wife. All of it is on Amazon with free shipping (Prime).

$300 is easy
yea im looking on amazon. I can save 20$ by using a big pot I already have. i was also looking at the entire box machine for near 400$ thinking it's easier but who knows.

also what ziploc bags can be used? its weird to imagine the plastic can stand the heat.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 11:47 AM   #10
Uber Commuter
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
We have a nice food sealer vacuum system so we'll probably cook in the vacuum bags.

That said; Zip Loc Freezer bags are quality poly and won't melt below ~190 degrees F so should be safe for most Sous Vide cooking. You can use the submersion method to get the air out of the bag if you go that route.
Appreciate 1
Cattivo680.50
      12-26-2017, 12:01 PM   #11
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

For cheapest solution, the $99 Anova, high quality Ziplock bags, whatever large pot you already have and a cast iron skillet/pan to sear should serve you well.

Once you start getting more serious into sous vide, a dedicated polycarbonate tub like the one pictured in the OP's video with a matching lid, vacuum sealer and a torch will improve your results. All three of these can be bought for $300ish.

The tub with lid will retain more heat and reduce the moisture loss on long cooks (over 12 hours for the long braises) and you won't need to top off water as frequently. Plus it is a larger container so you can cook a large prime rib for 12.

Vacuum sealers will help seal your food better and reduces the risks of your Ziplock bags leaking, which can gum up your immersion circulator if the oil and grease gets sucked in.

The torch will give you a much better sear. It is the highest temperature that the average joe can produce, short of a spendy broiler. You want that heat so you can finish your food with a blackened crispy crust without overcooking the meat and producing that gray band of well done. If you really want to step up your searing game, look into the Searzall attachment for your torch, which diffuses the heat and gives you a more consistent and evenly spread out sear.
Appreciate 1
Cattivo680.50
      12-26-2017, 12:05 PM   #12
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Have been trying to decide on the "Anova Culinary Sous vide Precision" (on sale for $128 from $199) vs the "Chefsteps Joules Vide 1100" ($199) - biggest draws to me for the Anova are perhaps the manual/visual options for feedback and the circulation. The ChefSteps however gets things heated faster and the smaller footprint is very attractive - bottom line, have you used the Joules enough to now determine which in you opinion is the better unit? Feedback appreciated,
Cheers, C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daixloxbmw View Post
I've been using the sous vide technique for about 4 years now and I swear by it. I'm on my 3rd immersion circulator, just bought the ChefSteps Joule (right) after using two Anova Ones (left). Lots of guys give it shit for being some new age hipster stuff because they've been doing the reverse sear, which is also a great technique that I've used before too but it isn't nearly as precise or consistent as sous vide. Most of the naysayers haven't tried it or didn't realize they have because many high end restaurants use this technique but may not advertise that fact. Enjoy!

12-26-2017, 01:06 PM   #13
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranob View Post
Have been trying to decide on the "Anova Culinary Sous vide Precision" (on sale for $128 from $199) vs the "Chefsteps Joules Vide 1100" ($199) - biggest draws to me for the Anova are perhaps the manual/visual options for feedback and the circulation. The ChefSteps however gets things heated faster and the smaller footprint is very attractive - bottom line, have you used the Joules enough to now determine which in you opinion is the better unit? Feedback appreciated,
Cheers, C.
I actually haven't used the Joule at all. I got it on Black Friday and I've been traveling for work since then and never got a chance to use it. From the specs, the Joule is more powerful, can heat water quicker, can operate with a lower minimum water depth and much smaller form factor. The only downside that I've researched is the lack of a display/buttons and requires a smartphone to operate, which may not be a downside at all if you prefer it that way. I'll let you know when I finally get a chance to use it.

Having said that, the reason why I switched to the Joule is because the two Anova Ones I've had before it both died on me, each about 2 years old. The sensors (metal rods) were prone to rust on long cooks. I did quite a bit of 72 hour cooks to slow braise pork belly and short ribs. I was meticulous about cleaning and drying it off when I was done using it but I think 72 hours underwater repeatedly was the culprit.
Appreciate 1
ciaranob747.50
      12-26-2017, 01:17 PM   #14
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Hey thx for the prompt response - indeed your points mimic mine in regard the two and sounds like you got some decent mileage from the Anova. Both units can be App 'driven' so I wonder how often you simply manually entered/controlled the Anova vs App use - might be that the manual option is a key differentiator in more practical applications?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daixloxbmw View Post
I actually haven't used the Joule at all. I got it on Black Friday and I've been traveling for work since then and never got a chance to use it. From the specs, the Joule is more powerful, can heat water quicker, can operate with a lower minimum water depth and much smaller form factor. The only downside that I've researched is the lack of a display/buttons and requires a smartphone to operate, which may not be a downside at all if you prefer it that way. I'll let you know when I finally get a chance to use it.

Having said that, the reason why I switched to the Joule is because the two Anova Ones I've had before it both died on me, each about 2 years old. The sensors (metal rods) were prone to rust on long cooks. I did quite a bit of 72 hour cooks to slow braise pork belly and short ribs. I was meticulous about cleaning and drying it off when I was done using it but I think 72 hours underwater repeatedly was the culprit.
      12-26-2017, 01:23 PM   #15
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
How are you guys searing the outside? Pan? Grill? And do you sear it before or after cooking?
Was my first go at it and i used a pan. But ordered a torch on amazon to try next as i hear that method is very good.

The plastic tub is a drawer from my outside mini fridge hehe.....

The vacuum sealer i already had...

The immersion cooker was like a hundred bucks...
      12-26-2017, 01:44 PM   #16
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranob View Post
Hey thx for the prompt response - indeed your points mimic mine in regard the two and sounds like you got some decent mileage from the Anova. Both units can be App 'driven' so I wonder how often you simply manually entered/controlled the Anova vs App use - might be that the manual option is a key differentiator in more practical applications?
The two Anova Ones I had were the original unit, which had a touchscreen display, no connectivity whatsoever and has been discontinued for a while now. The Anova Precision Cooker that is on sale now has the wifi or Bluetooth connectivity, I've never owned or used these newer devices. My understanding is that the newer Anovas actually downgraded the heating element to 900w (wifi) and 800w (Bluetooth), compared to the original unit's 1000w. The Joule has 1100w. This distinction may not matter to you if you're only cooking for a handful of people at a time but I have regularly cooked 12-15 steaks at a time in a large cooler so the extra heating power is needed for larger meals like that.
Appreciate 2
ciaranob747.50
Cattivo680.50
      12-26-2017, 01:55 PM   #17
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfrk View Post
Was my first go at it and i used a pan. But ordered a torch on amazon to try next as i hear that method is very good.

The plastic tub is a drawer from my outside mini fridge hehe.....

The vacuum sealer i already had...

The immersion cooker was like a hundred bucks...
The torch will give you a really nice blackened and crispy crust on your steaks without overcooking the inside. Plus it is just fun as hell to use and will impress your guests. The center comes out end to end bright pink when cooked at 128* with no gray band.

A few tips when using the torch though, when igniting it initially, point it away from your food because you may throw unburnt raw fuel onto your food and you will taste it. Spend a few bucks more and get a torch with an air/fuel valve adjustment, so you can fine tune it for a bright blue flame with no specks. Orange flame means the fuel isn't burning as hot and efficiently as it should be. The specks are unburnt fuel.

http://modernistcuisine.com/2011/02/torch-tastes/
Appreciate 2
ciaranob747.50
Cattivo680.50
      12-31-2017, 04:33 PM   #18
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

After reading this thread a few days ago, I was curious and watched a few youtube videos on how to sous vide...my first reaction was that it would taste soggy as all shit after being in a zip lock bag for a few hours...boy was I wrong!

I decided to buy a cheaper sous vide cooker for about $100 on amazon, at first the slow cooking option wouldn't work, it kept shutting down and the temperature was all over the place...130-175 degrees??? I finally decided to try and just use it without the slow cooking method and worked...kinda. Temperature was climbing 5-10 above my initial setting.

Long story short, after I seared my steak after it's 4 hour bath it was OMFG delicious! I have since bought the joule and the anova since I'm part caveman and plan on over dosing on meat from now on lol

I just want to thank the OP for starting this thread! I'm done spending 100's each weekend at ruth chris and other steak houses! thanks brother... happy new years
      12-31-2017, 05:37 PM   #19
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Yep, similar result - was also fairly uneducated on Sous Vide but researched and went ahead and got the 1100W Joule - even poached eggs are perfect! Early days but quite impressed with fish and poultry so far - will mess with some desserts soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo View Post

I just want to thank the OP for starting this thread! I'm done spending 100's each weekend at ruth chris and other steak houses! thanks brother... happy new years
      01-01-2018, 09:44 AM   #20
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Would this be a good buy? One of my resolutions for this year is to cook more. I bought the Joy of Cooking book and plan on going off of that.

I have some pots and pans already. What would be the best tools to get for $300-400 budget? I love steak and chicken. Plan on eating more fish as well going forward.

Last edited by BMW F22; 01-01-2018 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 10:58 AM   #21
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

WARNING: Do not use Zip Loc products for Sous Vide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Commuter View Post
We have a nice food sealer vacuum system so we'll probably cook in the vacuum bags.

That said; Zip Loc Freezer bags are quality poly and won't melt below ~190 degrees F so should be safe for most Sous Vide cooking. You can use the submersion method to get the air out of the bag if you go that route.
Please refrain from using regular plastics for Sous Vide. Plastics are a HUGE source of food contamination, it kind of goes against the grain of the health benefits of Sous Vide, when you decide to Sous Vide using Zip Loc or other non-suitable plastics. I started my Sous Vide journey several years ago, and due to my profession, have some knowledge of the nature of contaminants in our food supply. My research had indicated that plastics should be kept away from food, so I wrote to Zip Loc and asked the question: "Can I Sous Vide using a Zip Loc bag?" They wrote me back recommending that I NEVER use their products for Sous Vide. Then I found this product on Amazon: SousVide Supreme Zip Cooking Pouches, Small, SVV-00304
They make a small and a large pouch, last night I SV'd 4 very large NY Steaks and had to use the large pouch, also for Xmas Eve I SV'd a Leg of Lamb using the large pouch. The small pouches are not that small, you can fit four tenderloins in the small pouch.

In closing, if you have any doubts reducing plastic in cooking know this: Plastics leech chemicals into your food, these chemicals mimic hormones, namely estrogen. The introduction of estrogen into our food supply is unconscionable, females as young as 9 are showing up at the physician's office showing signs of puberty, it wreaks havoc on males as pushing estrogen levels up means testosterone goes down. I know a little about which I speak of here, get the plastics out of your cooking and refrigerator, and ease up on feeding your young kids milk, it's never too late to start eating clean.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 11:03 AM   #22
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal f80 View Post
Absolutely, here goes:

1. Large Stainless Steel Pot 5 Gal: $30 (https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Stainl...l+pot+5+gallon)
2. Anova Sous Vide: $120 approx.
3. Sous Vide Bags:
SousVide Supreme Zip Cooking Pouches, Small, SVV-00304. Purchase the small and large $50 total for a box of each on Amazon

Welcome to Sous Vide!
Appreciate 0