BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Discrimination at work

View Poll Results: Are you discriminated against at work?
Yes 18 28.13%
No 46 71.88%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

12-28-2017, 09:55 PM   #1
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Discrimination at work

So how many of you are discriminated against at work?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 10:08 PM   #2
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Are you asking in regards to your managers, co-workers, or customers?
      12-28-2017, 10:09 PM   #3
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic View Post
Are you asking in regards to your managers, co-workers, or customers?
Anyone
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 11:46 PM   #4
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I am, thus the reason why today the 29th is my last day at work. Long story short, my two supervisors have treated me unfairly compared to other employees and I have full documentation to support my case. Time to turn the page for 2018 to work for a company that will truly appreciate/respect me.
Appreciate 6
kprocivic812.50
bimmer4562960.50
nyalpine907433.00
Aatish3458.00
      12-29-2017, 08:53 AM   #5
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT LMB ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I am, thus the reason why today the 29th is my last day at work. Long story short, my two supervisors have treated me unfairly compared to other employees and I have full documentation to support my case. Time to turn the page for 2018 to work for a company that will truly appreciate/respect me.
What are you going to do about it?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 09:03 AM   #6
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufel_Hunden View Post
What are you going to do about it?
Well the thing is that I am not going to waste my time trying to fight this as who has time to visit lawyers, trying to see if I have a strong case and such. Not looking to get rich quick by this as I just want this behind me and to move forward. These two people are just downright phony and I happened to be the odd man out. I should have moved on last year at this time but wanted things to work.

So I went to upper management last month, told them how I felt and they suggested I look for another job. Because I had a pending bonus that was due to me this month (received this morning in my bank), I wanted to stick around for it. They are taking me out to a farewell lunch around noon. Once I get back I'll finish up some minor things and just leave w/o saying goodbye. Done and done.
Appreciate 3
CANGRKE70813.50
ZMCoupe35.50
nyalpine907433.00
      12-29-2017, 09:09 AM   #7
Graves
Sicario
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
There is discrimination where I work, but the military has a very strong and in-depth Equal Opportunity program. It is not flawless, but it is very effective and for the most part, you do not have to worry about discrimination. That sucks that it happened to you but I'm happy to see that you are reporting it. I'm not saying get rich, but if its documented and they are toxic individuals you need to take it higher and make a stink of it otherwise the next person that comes along that they do not like for whatever reason will get what you got and maybe worse.
      12-29-2017, 09:18 AM   #8
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graves View Post
That sucks that it happened to you but I'm happy to see that you are reporting it. I'm not saying get rich, but if its documented and they are toxic individuals you need to take it higher and make a stink of it otherwise the next person that comes along that they do not like for whatever reason will get what you got and maybe worse.
I am still on the fence about reporting it. Here is a 'short' example of what has been going on:

-Unhappy working in my department
-Lack of respect towards me
-My Grandmother passed away and everyone at worked asked how I was, however, these two never did
-With everyone else in accounting they treat everyone like human beings and the proper respect
-Feel like I am treated differently
-The attitude towards/being singled out
-Emails – they just LOVE to single me out and embarrass me
-Blamed for issues that aren’t my fault
-Feel like I’m an easy target
-Every morning I wake up and I worry what other issues they will find in my work
-They give me no confidence in my work as I am walking on egg shells daily
-No matter how much I do, it is never enough
-Thus increases my lack of confidence which will make me prone to errors
-I have never felt this way in any work environment that I’ve ever been at
-Micro managing is taking a toll on me and affects my work flow
-I don’t mind the increased workload, just know that it will take me longer to accomplish my goals/tasks
-A good supervisor/manager wants their employees to succeed. I don’t feel that they want that in me by giving me a 2.5 out of 5 score review
-I have zero confidence in myself and the way I feel is unhealthy
-My doctor has mentioned that this job is helping the cause of my heart issues

Also, I bought up an issue that happened last December where one of the supervisors slammed a book at my desk, I confronted her a minute later and I told her that wasn't nice and disrespectful, instead she just did a smirk and smiled. Mentioned that to a higher up manager and said that he would speak to her and she would talk to me about it. Never happened.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 09:24 AM   #9
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Snowflakes
Appreciate 7
SakhirM410784.50
protecon193.00
RickFLM410971.00
F30lolz6798.50
Naz241627.50
      12-29-2017, 09:32 AM   #10
nmgunner
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
Snowflakes
Totally
Appreciate 1
F30lolz6798.50
      12-29-2017, 09:34 AM   #11
nmgunner
Private
Rep

Quote:
I am still on the fence about reporting it. Here is a 'short' example of what has been going on:

-My Grandmother passed away and everyone at worked asked how I was, however, these two never did
-With everyone else in accounting they treat everyone like human beings and the proper respect
-Every morning I wake up and I worry what other issues they will find in my work
-I don’t mind the increased workload, just know that it will take me longer to accomplish my goals/tasks
-A good supervisor/manager wants their employees to succeed. I don’t feel that they want that in me by giving me a 2.5 out of 5 score review

Also, I bought up an issue that happened last December where one of the supervisors slammed a book at my desk, I confronted her a minute later and I told her that wasn't nice and disrespectful, instead she just did a smirk and smiled. Mentioned that to a higher up manager and said that he would speak to her and she would talk to me about it. Never happened.

That’s not discrimination.
Appreciate 5
SakhirM410784.50
scostu1623.00
Hawkeye2069.50
Naz241627.50
      12-29-2017, 09:45 AM   #12
Graves
Sicario
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:

Dude, you have to report that shit. Everything that you outlined are clear examples of harassment in the workforce. I am my units Equal Opportunity Advisor and deal with so much of this on a daily basis. Here is why I think you need to make a bigger stink about it.

The main issue I see besides the obvious violations is that leadership is not doing anything. 9 times out of 10 most of these issues can be solved by leadership forgoing the formal process of a complaint. Generally speaking, if a leader or supervisor sits down with the violator and addresses the issue it usually solves it because most people do not want to lose their job or receive a negative evaluation. Basically, what I am saying is this sounds like a leadership/management issue just as much as it is a harassment issue. Toxic leadership is so destructive and often times worse than actual harassment. This is one example of why I love the Army's EO policy. We handle everything at the lowest level and that is how it should be. Not to cover anything up because everyone is well informed on whats going on, it is just left up to the chain of command and those involved to handle it.

Again, I would say something. You should not have to leave your job and change your life because of a toxic environment. That is just my .02. I know that if I had a problem like that at work I would blow that MF up, not literally, I would just blow that situation up and make it known that I am not tolerating anything of that nature. They either would fix it or I would quit and make their lives miserable after the fact.
      12-29-2017, 09:51 AM   #13
nmgunner
Private
Rep

Quote:
Dude, you have to report that shit. Everything that you outlined are clear examples of harassment in the workforce. I am my units Equal Opportunity Advisor and deal with so much of this on a daily basis. Here is why I think you need to make a bigger stink about it.

The main issue I see besides the obvious violations is that leadership is not doing anything. 9 times out of 10 most of these issues can be solved by leadership forgoing the formal process of a complaint. Generally speaking, if a leader or supervisor sits down with the violator and addresses the issue it usually solves it because most people do not want to lose their job or receive a negative evaluation. Basically, what I am saying is this sounds like a leadership/management issue just as much as it is a harassment issue. Toxic leadership is so destructive and often times worse than actual harassment. This is one example of why I love the Army's EO policy. We handle everything at the lowest level and that is how it should be. Not to cover anything up because everyone is well informed on whats going on, it is just left up to the chain of command and those involved to handle it.

Again, I would say something. You should not have to leave your job and change your life because of a toxic environment. That is just my .02. I know that if I had a problem like that at work I would blow that MF up, not literally, I would just blow that situation up and make it known that I am not tolerating anything of that nature. They either would fix it or I would quit and make their lives miserable after the fact.
How is this discrimination?
Appreciate 2
SakhirM410784.50
scostu1623.00
      12-29-2017, 09:54 AM   #14
Graves
Sicario
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmgunner View Post
Quote:

How is this discrimination?
I meant harassment so I changed it. In my opinion he is not being discriminated against. I kept saying that because I kept reading it, lol. It was sticking in my head.
      12-29-2017, 09:59 AM   #15
nmgunner
Private
Rep

Quote:
I meant harassment so I changed it. In my opinion he is not being discriminated against. I kept saying that because I kept reading it, lol. It was sticking in my head.
I wouldn’t even call it harassment.
Appreciate 2
SakhirM410784.50
P111572.00
      12-29-2017, 10:05 AM   #16
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

They can not like you, make and example of you, make you do more work. None of it is discrimination unless it's based on your color, sexual orientation, religion and so on.
Appreciate 6
P111572.00
MKSixer34184.50
scostu1623.00
upstatedoc7559.50
Naz241627.50
      12-29-2017, 10:05 AM   #17
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
I don't see discrimination or harassment, but I'm not in the situation personally. From everything described, all I see is someone very unhappy in their job and feeling unable to meet the task. A rating of 2.5 out of 5 might not have anything to do with them wanting him to be successful - might be a true evaluation of the work being performed.

Definitely doesn't sound like discrimination and doesn't sound like harassment, but definitely sounds like the right time to move on to another job.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 4
P111572.00
MKSixer34184.50
scostu1623.00
      12-29-2017, 10:05 AM   #18
Graves
Sicario
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
It's closer to that. Ultimately, it is a leadership/management issue and could be easily solved. Most civilian leadership is soft and scared to do their jobs.
      12-29-2017, 10:05 AM   #19
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:

My friend, this isn't discrimination, it's bad management. Find a new job. You are in a mutually toxic situation and it doesn't seem that either you or the current management structure will change. Time to chuck the deuces and go.

Cheers-mk
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 6
SakhirM410784.50
P111572.00
F30lolz6798.50
Scout1086.00
      12-29-2017, 10:10 AM   #20
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
It's closer to that. Ultimately, it is a leadership/management issue and could be easily solved. Most civilian leadership is soft and scared to do their jobs.
That is a gross exaggeration. Having spent 21 years in the Air Force and 30+ years in the civilian workforce, I can honestly say that there are good and bad leaders in both. Good leadership is not confined to the military.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 5
MKSixer34184.50
P111572.00
scostu1623.00
Scout1086.00
      12-29-2017, 10:11 AM   #21
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Just so everyone knows, these are the different types of discrimination. In a nutshell, you are discriminated against if you get treated differently because of the below:
Equal Pay/Compensation
Genetic Information
Harassment
National Origin
Pregnancy
Race/Color
Religion
Retaliation
Sex
Sexual Harassment
Appreciate 3
MKSixer34184.50
Lups11826.50
      12-29-2017, 10:12 AM   #22
Graves
Sicario
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Quote:
That is a gross exaggeration. Having spent 21 years in the Air Force and 30+ years in the civilian workforce, I can honestly say that there are good and bad leaders in both. Good leadership is not confined to the military.
Correct. I was making a biased statement, lol.
Lups11826.50