BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Discrimination at work

View Poll Results: Are you discriminated against at work?
Yes 18 28.13%
No 46 71.88%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

12-29-2017, 10:14 AM   #23
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
OP, it may be better to change the question to, "Have you ever been discriminated against at work?" It is exhaustive and will cover more jobs than the current one. Just a quick suggestion.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 10:16 AM   #24
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
OP, it may be better to change the question to, "Have you ever been discriminated against at work?" It is exhaustive and will cover more jobs than the current one. Just a quick suggestion.
I have been discriminated against many times - have had many jobs where they didn't pay me close to what I thought I was worth
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34173.50
      12-29-2017, 10:18 AM   #25
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
I have been discriminated against many times - have had many jobs where they didn't pay me close to what I thought I was worth
Same here.

I've actually been discriminated against because of race but you know what, I doubled down on my work effort and results and made them recognize that I was better than anyone around. Profit trumps racism in nearly every case.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 2
SakhirM410783.00
Hawkeye2069.50
      12-29-2017, 10:47 AM   #26
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Well the thing is that I am not going to waste my time trying to fight this as who has time to visit lawyers, trying to see if I have a strong case and such. Not looking to get rich quick by this as I just want this behind me and to move forward. These two people are just downright phony and I happened to be the odd man out. I should have moved on last year at this time but wanted things to work.

So I went to upper management last month, told them how I felt and they suggested I look for another job. Because I had a pending bonus that was due to me this month (received this morning in my bank), I wanted to stick around for it. They are taking me out to a farewell lunch around noon. Once I get back I'll finish up some minor things and just leave w/o saying goodbye. Done and done.
Good on you for getting out of a toxic environment. Best of luck to you in 2018.
Appreciate 3
MKSixer34173.50
F30lolz6798.50
wrickem2101.00
      12-29-2017, 10:54 AM   #27
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep

I work for a Business Process Outsourcing company where I have to deal with a lot of clients. I have tattoos, a beard, wear some funky suit patterns and swear like a sailor at work.

I think sometimes that rubs people the wrong way and they have a certain perception about me early on. They do begin to overlook all that due to the results I deliver.

Either way fuck em.

Last edited by CANGRKE70; 12-29-2017 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34173.50
      12-29-2017, 11:07 AM   #28
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
I've never been discriminated against at work. I'm also fairly outspoken, and not afraid to tell people how it is, even management. It must be done in a professional manner though.

The person slamming a book on your desk is just childish and unprofessional, which is exactly what I would've told their superior. People need to be held accountable. Maybe you could suggest to the superior that this person be examined for instability and anger management.

While management's solution for you to "find another job" is a pretty weak one, they likely stated that because they don't see many options to address your concern, which is not discrimination. There are laws that can be used to address discrimination and sexual harassment, everything else is kind of up in the air and comes down to whether the job duties are still being completed.

People are assholes, and I've worked with a few of them, but unfortunately if you are an asshole but still do your job it doesn't give management any grounds for disciplinary action.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34173.50
      12-29-2017, 11:53 AM   #29
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I’ll just say that I’ve held many jobs and never dealt with discrimination (I’m Asian). I have experienced shitty management though.

The first was a company I was with for 3 years. My manager retired and I was transferred under a new manager. She was just promoted to manager and was inexperienced. I’ve gone to talk to her about things and she was just stuck in her ways. I was thinking of leaving for something more exciting anyway and being under sucked (not that way) so I left.

Second was at a Korean company. They wanted to promote open and collaborative environment but nobody talked to one another since managers sit close by. Manager and teammate were so terrible (snitching on me over smallest things) that I left after just 3 months.

I’m at a great company, with a really good team and management. We actually talk to each other and have wine together at the bar at work. We do team wine events every now and then. Director even said she’s glad to have me on the team. We get stuff done and have much more fun than before.

Moral of the story is: don’t put up with shit at work. I know that it’s much harder if you have obligations to leave a place before finding a new one but that shouldn’t stop anyone from looking. There’s always something that’s a better fit out there. Don’t settle for less, otherwise you’ll just stress yourself out the longer you drag it out.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34173.50
      12-30-2017, 10:06 PM   #30
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Just so everyone knows, these are the different types of discrimination. In a nutshell, you are discriminated against if you get treated differently because of the below:
Equal Pay/Compensation
Genetic Information
Harassment
National Origin
Pregnancy
Race/Color
Religion
Retaliation
Sex
Sexual Harassment
You forgot being discriminated against for your good looks
I've been suffering from this at my current job
This January it will be 13 years of discrimination
It's really hard
Somedays (weekdays) it's too hard to even get out of bed
      12-31-2017, 09:48 PM   #31
Ross61
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 GTO (soon to be an M4)

Being one who did 25 years in the Navy and NOT Filipino, I can definitely answer "yes" this poll. LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 06:35 PM   #32
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I get made fun out of in virtually every way possible... so does everyone else I work with... is anyone discriminated against? No... everyone is treated with respect and does their damn job... the only people that get in the shitter are people that truly don't fit in the environment (a very hard task not to fit in this environment, as the management and people are super cool)... or people that simply don't do their damn job (again another tough thing to do as so many chances are given).
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 07:48 PM   #33
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANGRKE70 View Post
I work for a Business Process Outsourcing company where I have to deal with a lot of clients. I have tattoos, a beard, wear some funky suit patterns and swear like a sailor at work.

I think sometimes that rubs people the wrong way and they have a certain perception about me early on. They do begin to overlook all that due to the results I deliver.

Either way fuck em.
I thought Canadians were supposed to be nice and proper!
Appreciate 1
CANGRKE70813.50
      01-02-2018, 06:33 AM   #34
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

I personally work for one of the big dod agencies. Recently (past two weeks) I was notified that I was being management reassigned to a different geographic area (different continent) to an area that the cost of living is over 50-60k more annually than I presently make. I contacted the agencie's IG and received no response written or telefonically. After 7 working days I contacted my congressman. I am now waiting for the agency to respond to my congressman's inquiry. The agency purposely did this during the holiday season so that I had to accept the reassignment without legal support. Forgot to mention, I was given five working days to respond with acceptance.. If I do not accept the position I will be seporated within 120 days of notification.. I have 28 years federal service and the directed assignment has no promotion or developmental potential.. I am too young to retire as I have not reached my minimum retirement age. The directed assignment is a career ender that will cause severe financial hardship and bankruptcy.
How about them beans...
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car

Last edited by david in germany; 01-02-2018 at 06:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 07:46 AM   #35
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
I personally work for one of the big dod agencies. Recently (past two weeks) I was notified that I was being management reassigned to a different geographic area (different continent) to an area that the cost of living is over 50-60k more annually than I presently make. I contacted the agencie's IG and received no response written or telefonically. After 7 working days I contacted my congressman. I am now waiting for the agency to respond to my congressman's inquiry. The agency purposely did this during the holiday season so that I had to accept the reassignment without legal support. Forgot to mention, I was given five working days to respond with acceptance.. If I do not accept the position I will be seporated within 120 days of notification.. I have 28 years federal service and the directed assignment has no promotion or developmental potential.. I am too young to retire as I have not reached my minimum retirement age. The directed assignment is a career ender that will cause severe financial hardship and bankruptcy.
How about them beans...
Here's another one. I worked in a secure environment requiring a very high level security clearance. I was asked by one of the developers to make a change to the system they were working on because they needed it done ASAP for testing. The person who would normally do this wasn't around. So I did the change and sent out an email to everyone telling them what I did. Well, the next day one of my coworkers/friends said he noticed my user account was deleted from the system. I inquired about this and was told my admin privileges were revoked. To cut to the chase, there was a guy that was placed into an overall advisory position where he and I didn't see eye to eye on things being done on the system. He used this "incident" as an excuse to throw fake allegations of unauthorized and detrimental changes to a government system with security implications. I also want to add this ahole is very close friends with the government program manager. So what ever he said, she took at face value without question.

A meeting was convened which I wasn't allowed to attend discussing this matter. The ass was in there saying I was running "rough shot" across the IT systems and creating multiple security violations. The government staff on my side asked him to point blank provide proof of these serious violations. The ass couldn't and had to back down. Even though everything he said was a lie and it can be proven it was a personal vendetta, I couldn't get my admin privileges restored and was effectively "fired" from the contract. My job depended on having admin privileges so if I can't access the systems, I'm no good to anyone. It all stunk to high hell. My company floated me on another contract temporarily until they could figure out where to place me. I eventually found a permanent position with a former company on a government project I had worked before.

I was so beat down by this experience but was brought back up when the government manager of that previous project heard I was available and made a position for me to come back on board. To this day, I still stew about that ass who should have been investigated for ethics issues. It wasn't enough for the bastard to get me kicked off the project but he wanted to go after my clearance. For those that don't know, if you get your clearance pulled, you're pretty much screwed for the rest of your life doing cleared work. You are black balled for applying for any clearance or cleared job for 5 years. After that, you have to put on your application you were denied a clearance and why.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 08:17 AM   #36
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Here's another one. I worked in a secure environment requiring a very high level security clearance. I was asked by one of the developers to make a change to the system they were working on because they needed it done ASAP for testing. The person who would normally do this wasn't around. So I did the change and sent out an email to everyone telling them what I did. Well, the next day one of my coworkers/friends said he noticed my user account was deleted from the system. I inquired about this and was told my admin privileges were revoked. To cut to the chase, there was a guy that was placed into an overall advisory position where he and I didn't see eye to eye on things being done on the system. He used this "incident" as an excuse to throw fake allegations of unauthorized and detrimental changes to a government system with security implications. I also want to add this ahole is very close friends with the government program manager. So what ever he said, she took at face value without question.
A meeting was convened which I wasn't allowed to attend discussing this matter. The ass was in there saying I was running "rough shot" across the IT systems and creating multiple security violations. The government staff on my side asked him to point blank provide proof of these serious violations. The ass couldn't and had to back down. Even though everything he said was a lie and it can be proven it was a personal vendetta, I couldn't get my admin privileges restored and was effectively "fired" from the contract. My job depended on having admin privileges so if I can't access the systems, I'm no good to anyone. It all stunk to high hell. My company floated me on another contract temporarily until they could figure out where to place me. I eventually found a permanent position with a former company on a government project I had worked before.

I was so beat down by this experience but was brought back up when the government manager of that previous project heard I was available and made a position for me to come back on board. To this day, I still stew about that ass who should have been investigated for ethics issues. It wasn't enough for the bastard to get me kicked off the project but he wanted to go after my clearance. For those that don't know, if you get your clearance pulled, you're pretty much screwed for the rest of your life doing cleared work. You are black balled for applying for any clearance or cleared job for 5 years. After that, you have to put on your application you were denied a clearance and why.
Oh, I understand the security stuff quite well as well as the contract stuff. In my case my organization is 100% on my side of things but the idiot at the Higher HQ is looking for that bullet on the end of year evaluation and does not care how the mission or the lives of the employees are affected by the things he is doing. I am hoping that my organization leadership is going to use the situation (communicating with that guy's boss) as a forcing function to do what they have wanted to do for me for at least a year which (hopefully) will be a nice developmental position leading to 2-3 promotions in as many years. If not I am looking at a 75% pay cut in the next 3 months...
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 09:01 AM   #37
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
I thought Canadians were supposed to be nice and proper!
Go fuck yourself...

Please and Thank you!
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      01-02-2018, 09:05 AM   #38
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
shit happens all the time at work or restaurant or at dealership.... i keep it moving... i deal with it professional way or street way
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 09:29 AM   #39
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Go fuck yourself...

Please and Thank you!
Ferme la bouche s'il vous plait!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 09:43 AM   #40
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

While I personally dont think I've been discriminated, I do know/have seen some someone blatantly been.

Back about 5 years ago at a different firm, I was in a meeting with two other people. Just typical team catch up when the discussion about more responsibility came up. To sum things up short...during the meeting the manager flat out told my colleague that he shouldnt take on more responsibility because "Mexican people like you are lazy".... first my colleague isnt Mexican...he's just mixed race and has a darker skin complexion. I have no fucking idea where the manager got that from... Plus the guy had been with the firm for like 6 years, the manager only 2. Appalled, we said that he was out of line and pretty much ended the meeting right there. All this being the most fucked up thing I've ever heard in a professional environment.

Well after the meeting, I was like bro that was fucked up, you gotta go to HR. Dude went to HR and filed a grievance. HR did their due diligence and interviewed me, my colleague and few others to see if it was a trending thing. Being that it was said verbally, there obviously was zero written evidence. HR came back with a written statement saying that since he had no written evidence and no people other than me to back his story their hands were tied and couldnt do anything regarding the Mexican comment. They also said the manager didnt directly say he COULD NOT handle more responsibility, he was just voicing his opinion that he SHOULD NOT take on more. Bullshit. HR made the statement pretty iron clad to back the manager and prevent any backlash. They threw in some shit about constructive criticism and on the job coaching.

Afterwards my colleague found out that senior management was also informed, I guess part of HR's due diligence investigation. Senior management backed our manager and that was pretty much the end of it.

Later during a period of maybe 4 months, they made this guy's life at work fucking hell. They reassigned pretty much all my work to him to the point it was basically impossible for him to meet project deadlines. I literally had almost no work to do because all of my stuff went to my colleague. Dude was working like 14hr days trying to get stuff done. I also helped him as much as I could doing what would've been my share of the work and let him throw his name on it.

Come time for our mid year reviews, they fucking fire this guy because the department felt like he was slowing us down and we werent making quota/deadlines. I know for a fact that he 1) made 90% of quota/deadlines 2) again voiced his opinion that the workload was unrealistic 3)requested that I help (which I was doing under the table). They fired him 3 weeks into the month and told him the only severance he'd get was just his benefits and salary would extend to the end of the month, plus cashing out his PTO.

I later got a raise and a semi-promotion to a high pay grade but the dude got canned! I dont think I did shitty work when helping out but who knows, maybe they thought it was. I felt super bad for him for months.

When they fired this guy, I fucking went and told basically everyone in the department wtf happened. Come annual review I got a 3 out of 5, which meant that I was doing my job and deserved my usual 3% increase and bonus. His work was never reassigned to me and it seemed like management made his projects disappear into thin air. I was told things were slowing down but everything was good.

Whatever, being that I still felt terrible for the guy at that point and was bored/unhappy at my job, I eventually bounced just 2 weeks later. Took my bonus and as soon as I landed an offer... put in a week notice and left.

I tried contacting him after he was canned and after I left and he just gave me some basic replies like things are good now and he's job searching/on unemployment. Then never heard from him. I sometimes question, should I have helped him do his work, was my portion that I helped him with shitty? Who knows. All I know was that he got fucked.

About a year ago, I heard through the grapevine contacts of my other co-workers that the department got dissolved into another, our manager received two title level promotions within the time frame of all this and is off doing something else within the firm.

Pretty fucked up but it's in the past. I personally felt that HR didnt even try to work with him and the manager to come to some sort of mutual agreement/arrangement. Like get my colleague reassigned to a different team or whatever. They did a basic investigation and hung the guy out to dry. I also often question that should he have just kept quiet and find another job asap....did going to HR basically seal the deal of his termination? Too much unknown for me but I still feel bad for him.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 10:16 AM   #41
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
I am still on the fence about reporting it. Here is a 'short' example of what has been going on:

-Unhappy working in my department
-Lack of respect towards me
-My Grandmother passed away and everyone at worked asked how I was, however, these two never did
-With everyone else in accounting they treat everyone like human beings and the proper respect
-Feel like I am treated differently
-The attitude towards/being singled out
-Emails – they just LOVE to single me out and embarrass me
-Blamed for issues that aren’t my fault
-Feel like I’m an easy target
-Every morning I wake up and I worry what other issues they will find in my work
-They give me no confidence in my work as I am walking on egg shells daily
-No matter how much I do, it is never enough
-Thus increases my lack of confidence which will make me prone to errors
-I have never felt this way in any work environment that I’ve ever been at
-Micro managing is taking a toll on me and affects my work flow
-I don’t mind the increased workload, just know that it will take me longer to accomplish my goals/tasks
-A good supervisor/manager wants their employees to succeed. I don’t feel that they want that in me by giving me a 2.5 out of 5 score review
-I have zero confidence in myself and the way I feel is unhealthy
-My doctor has mentioned that this job is helping the cause of my heart issues

Also, I bought up an issue that happened last December where one of the supervisors slammed a book at my desk, I confronted her a minute later and I told her that wasn't nice and disrespectful, instead she just did a smirk and smiled. Mentioned that to a higher up manager and said that he would speak to her and she would talk to me about it. Never happened.
I agree with some of the others. Not discrimination. Not justifying their actions and attitudes. They sound like they are poor managers. I went through something similar many, many years ago. "The girls" (my gm and agm) ganged up on me, loved to call me unprofessional (which I guess was their word for effective) and give me a hard time. The went so far as to email our regional director. Big mistake for them. He knew me and had worked with me. He told them to shut up and transferred me to a better location. I left the company a few months later (unrelated to those 2 bozo's) but the GM ended up getting fired for being unprofessional 2 or 3 months later. I wish I could have seen her face.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 10:59 AM   #42
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Ferme la bouche s'il vous plait!
Osti de tabarnak, de câlice de ciboire de criss de marde!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 11:57 AM   #43
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Osti de tabarnak, de câlice de ciboire de criss de marde!
How do you know pidgin French (quebecois)?

Well done though - didn't know what most of those were, had to plug into Google. Which also apparently doesn't recognize Quebecois as a language either.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 12:03 PM   #44
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
How do you know pidgin French (quebecois)?

Well done though - didn't know what most of those were, had to plug into Google. Which also apparently doesn't recognize Quebecois as a language either.
Married a Lavaler and made her move to Toronto...picked these up over the years.
Appreciate 0