BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board A Very Smart Man's Take On Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency

01-05-2018, 02:13 PM   #1
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

A Very Smart Man's Take On Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency

I have very few role models, but Charlie Munger is one of them.

The entire talk is worth a listen because the man is utterly brilliant, even at the ripe age of 94, but here is his take on Bitcoin.

Start at 38:44

He might be wrong, but the way he puts complicated things so simply is just genius.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 03:26 PM   #2
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Charlie and Warren got very very rich by understanding _exactly_ what they were investing in; and by sticking to conservative, simple, business models.

These guys gave the dot com a very wide berth too, and missed a lot of opportunity in Microsoft, Apple and the like.

I don't think bitcoin was _ever_ going to be on Berkshire Hathaway's watchlist.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not saying he's wrong about bitcoin. I agree with his sentiment - IMHO If you're in cryptos right now you're speculating, not investing. I'm saying that asking Warren or Charlie about bitcoin (or any other popular instrument that's been delivering 50+% returns) is a bit like asking the NRA about gun control.

Last edited by xQx; 01-05-2018 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 5
blue-mw217.00
rr006rbc1203.00
FSociety3810.00
      01-05-2018, 04:54 PM   #3
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
Charlie and Warren got very very rich by understanding _exactly_ what they were investing in; and by sticking to conservative, simple, business models.

These guys gave the dot com a very wide berth too, and missed a lot of opportunity in Microsoft, Apple and the like.

I don't think bitcoin was _ever_ going to be on Berkshire Hathaway's watchlist.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not saying he's wrong about bitcoin. I agree with his sentiment - IMHO If you're in cryptos right now you're speculating, not investing. I'm saying that asking Warren or Charlie about bitcoin (or any other popular instrument that's been delivering 50+% returns) is a bit like asking the NRA about gun control.
All very true, but it was just interesting to get his take.

For what it's worth, they do now own 134,000,000 shares of AAPL so they wised up.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 06:21 PM   #4
KennySRFElite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 6mt CP

I'm one of the many Berkshire B stockholders, it's a marathon, not a race. I've done very well. I dream of Berkshire A shares.
KP
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      01-05-2018, 07:38 PM   #5
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cautjit View Post
I'm one of the many Berkshire B stockholders, it's a marathon, not a race. I've done very well. I dream of Berkshire A shares.
KP
I have a former coworker who's dad left he and his brother about 20 shares of Berkshire A shares back in 2013. Can you say, "Living the good life?"
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 09:14 PM   #6
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I have a former coworker who's dad left he and his brother about 20 shares of Berkshire A shares back in 2013. Can you say, "Living the good life?"
Nice $6M windfall.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 09:15 PM   #7
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I can't listen right now but I get a whiff of respect for elders. Perhaps there's hope for America after all.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 09:32 PM   #8
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
I can't listen right now but I get a whiff of respect for elders. Perhaps there's hope for America after all.
He might be the smartest financial mind living right now and easily the smartest person living over 90.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 11:26 AM   #9
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Buffett and Munger are legends of their era. No one will ever able replace them.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      01-10-2018, 02:56 PM   #10
buzz367
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 BMW M3

Its obviously outside of the scope of what Munger and Buffet consider to have value. His answer is no surprise, it goes against what the majority of people over 40 have ever experienced in the financial markets. Crypto is a young man's game at this stage it seems. People don't understand it so they are discounting it more than they should be perhaps.

For the record, I agree crypto is an insane bubble that will burst, but I also think the long term prospects for the whole system are definitely there. In the mean time, make hay while the sun shines with as much money as you're willing to lose!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 04:45 PM   #11
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz367 View Post
Its obviously outside of the scope of what Munger and Buffet consider to have value. His answer is no surprise, it goes against what the majority of people over 40 have ever experienced in the financial markets. Crypto is a young man's game at this stage it seems. People don't understand it so they are discounting it more than they should be perhaps.

For the record, I agree crypto is an insane bubble that will burst, but I also think the long term prospects for the whole system are definitely there. In the mean time, make hay while the sun shines with as much money as you're willing to lose!
Munger is insanely smart though. Don't doubt his ability to understand something like this at a fundamental level. You don't need to understand the computer science behind it necessarily.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 11:24 PM   #12
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Munger is insanely smart though. Don't doubt his ability to understand something like this at a fundamental level. You don't need to understand the computer science behind it necessarily.
I don't doubt that - but he makes a blanket statement in the attached video which is untrue and demonstrates he doesn't understand bitcoin - I expect, because he doesn't want to.

He says 'you can't believe no new bitcoin will be created. The incentives to create more coins is too great. Someone will find a way.'. This is untrue.

Without a hard-fork, it is technically impossible for anybody to make more bitcoin. There IS nothing stopping an almost unlimited supply of bitcoin clones.

Litecoin and Bitcoin Cash are perfect examples of bitcoin clones, which are superior in some ways (transaction times & fees), but inferiour in others (after 10 years of operation the size of the blockchain might be unmanageable).

The _only_ thing Bitcoin has ahead of all the altcoins is the Bitcoin "brand". Time will tell if that's worth $500, $5,000, or $50,000.

IF Charlie had taken the time to wrap his head around blockchain, he would've said something along the lines of:

[introduction basically the same as what he said. There's a lot of noise in life, it's a fad, it's a bubble, stay away.]

It's interesting. It's got a lot of potential. Gold is only worth something in the modern era because we've collectively agreed that it is a valid store of value. If the world turned its back on Gold and it was suddenly rated at utility value only, it would be worth a fraction of what it is today. If you think about countries which use USD to trade in rather than their local currency, there's the potential for these digital coins to replace USD, which is going to be very interesting.

But the technology behind Bitcoin is what is valuable, bitcoin in its self is not. The scarcity of Bitcoin which everyone is investing in is artificial, because the technology can be duplicated, and has been already in many "altcoins". Because all you're investing in is the Bitcoin brand, and its value is 100% determined by everybody's faith in that brand and not actually by a unique underlying product or protected market position; you are not value investing, you are either trading the pattern, trading the sentiment or outright speculating.

Berkshire Hathaway got to where it is today because we ignored all this sort of noise, and invested in assets which held an underlying value. I challenge anyone in this audience to tell me how they've calculated the underlying value of Bitcoin with the sort of confidence that one would with say, Coke.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 04:04 PM   #13
BuiltnBoostedZ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535ix

The systems, markets, currency, credit....only work if you believe in them. If you look at the most basic ideas of these things, crypto is no different. Ever dollar you spend now is imaginary. Every stock you buy is imaginary. All your debt is imaginary. If everyone collectively stop believing paper money is valuable...it'll just be paper. Much like the Gold reference in a previous post. Will it boom or will it fail? That depends on how many believe in the system.
      01-13-2018, 08:23 PM   #14
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltnBoostedZ View Post
The systems, markets, currency, credit....only work if you believe in them. If you look at the most basic ideas of these things, crypto is no different. Ever dollar you spend now is imaginary. Every stock you buy is imaginary. All your debt is imaginary. If everyone collectively stop believing paper money is valuable...it'll just be paper. Much like the Gold reference in a previous post. Will it boom or will it fail? That depends on how many believe in the system.
Not quite. I buy Coke stock because I have faith in the company to create value. I buy treasury notes because I trust that the government will see to it that the interest will be paid. Bitcoin has no underlying construct upon which I can put my trust. It's a ghost, a wisp of ether, hoping against all logic that it's self-induced scarcity will somehow create value.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 09:05 PM   #15
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltnBoostedZ View Post
Totally wrong. Companies produce real output. Bitcoin is literally worthless besides peoples’ belief it will go higher. It also ignores the fact a better system can supplant bitcoin or current cryptos as the new digital currency which will send competing cryptos to zero.

I believe there will be one crypto currency and probably will be created by banks or governments. Good luck picking the winner.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 09:38 PM   #16
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Bank crypto? That sounds like ripple, lol. Not that its done much lately.

Basically its a game of chance and being in on trends early enough. Some of my coins went up 20 x , some barely moved.

Only invest what you can stand to lose and read the forums the Kids read
Appreciate 0