BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Westcoast trip, need recommendations :-)

01-10-2018, 04:01 AM   #1
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Westcoast trip, need recommendations :-)

Our next trip to the US would take place into July until August this year.
We start into San Diego around the 16th, move to L.A. few days later and sweep over to Las Vegas. From there up to San Francisco and heading home is foreseen around the 3rd.
Aside from the must-sees, any more spots to see maybe aside of the travel ways or some insider tips?
Any recommendations welcome, thank ya'll

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 07:16 AM   #2
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Yosemite, if have time (unless it is already on your list of must-sees). I like visiting northern CA much better than L.A.
Dang3r12508.50
Lups11824.50
      01-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #3
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Yosemite is awesome, I'm a Big Tahoe Fan, a hike down to Emerald Bay, plenty of other things to do around the lake.

The generic stuff is good to, Hwy 1, Napa Valley.

If you like wine, but not the snobbery of Napa, Livermore wine tasting is a good time.
Appreciate 1
Dang3r12508.50
      01-10-2018, 10:39 AM   #4
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Anything you can dream of can be done in California.
Appreciate 2
Dang3r12508.50
P111563.00
      01-10-2018, 10:40 AM   #5
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Gotta see some redwoods - conveniently located nearby to Highway 1, which I assume is already on your must-do list. Laguna Seca and the Monterey area are also cool stops, but fairly tourista (does anybody still read Steinbeck?). You can probably find a truly iconic bed and breakfast with the hot tubs and ocean view (or a few hundred of them, more likely) between Big Sur and Monterey - kind of where that style originated.
Appreciate 2
Dang3r12508.50
DETRoadster11456.00
      01-10-2018, 11:34 AM   #6
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Get your tickets (free?) now for the Getty museum. At that time of year, I would go for the smaller "Getty Villa" on the coast.
Appreciate 1
Dang3r12508.50
      01-10-2018, 11:38 AM   #7
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Make sure you stop off in Oxnard.....er uh...how long are you staying in Norcal?
Appreciate 2
Dang3r12508.50
MKSixer34173.50
      01-10-2018, 11:55 AM   #8
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Come (to Ventura county) on vacation
Leave on probation
Appreciate 3
Dang3r12508.50
MKSixer34173.50
      01-10-2018, 12:32 PM   #9
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
lol at these suggestions to go to the norcal woods and oxnard ...Guy is going to socal on vacation. we need more info to help you out as amateur travel agents. You been here before? you like city stuff or nature stuff? anyone else going?

In san diego beside the world famous zoo the USS Midway is really interesting. San Diego is known for its beer and fish tacos so i'd look to get down on that. L.A. has too much stuff so we need more info. But a side trip to Laguna Beach is always fun. Go up to Lake Arrowhead since you'll be heading that way more or less on the way to Vegas.
Appreciate 1
Dang3r12508.50
      01-10-2018, 12:47 PM   #10
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

my town of Solvang is a good little tourist stop, also we are very well know for tons of really really good wineries

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
Dang3r12508.50
      01-10-2018, 12:54 PM   #11
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Folks, thank you at first for your suggests, I really appreciate them.

To answer the questions: Yes, I've been into the US several times before on both coasts but this is the very first time as a tourist and Im gonna staying onto the west coast.
As written the vacancy term goes around 3 weeks after touch down in San Diego, the Midway is onto our dancecard as well as Point Loma, La Jolla, Sea World and a few Top Gun movie spots. If were into the right mood we would pay Tijuana a short visit too, depends onto spontaneous ideas.
Into LA we would do the typical tourist things like walk of fame, Santa Monica pier, Rodeo Drive (just looking), Little Tokyo and something like that.
Las Vegas is point of our renewal of vow, we planned alltogether not more than 4 days there, Gran Canyon isnt on the list, but Strip, Stratosphere, Shark Reef and maybe a good show into one of the big hotels.
San Francisco is the last point with The Rock, Golden Gate, China Town, Wharf, Cable Car ride and Lands End.
Meanwhile shopping, eating and enjoying the art of living.
We got a loaner though the trip with navi onboard. Hotels not booked previously, just into Vegas.
So far the plans

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #12
are0lies
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post

To answer the questions: Yes, I've been into the US several times before on both coasts but this is the very first time as a tourist and Im gonna staying onto the west coast.
As written the vacancy term goes around 3 weeks after touch down in San Diego, the Midway is onto our dancecard as well as Point Loma, La Jolla, Sea World and a few Top Gun movie spots. If were into the right mood we would pay Tijuana a short visit too, depends onto spontaneous ideas.
Into LA we would do the typical tourist things like walk of fame, Santa Monica pier, Rodeo Drive (just looking), Little Tokyo and something like that.
Las Vegas is point of our renewal of vow, we planned alltogether not more than 4 days there, Gran Canyon isnt on the list, but Strip, Stratosphere, Shark Reef and maybe a good show into one of the big hotels.
San Francisco is the last point with The Rock, Golden Gate, China Town, Wharf, Cable Car ride and Lands End.
We got a loaner though the trip with navi onboard. Hotels not booked previously, just into Vegas.
So far the plans
Recommendation: leave Tijuana out, unless you don't mind a three hour wait to get back (unless going on a tour bus of some sort). A question I have is that you have the real Eifel tower, the real Venice canals, the real Monte Carlo, the real Paris, and the real Matterhorn, and you prefer to see fake ones? Seriously, if you can squeeze in a day, visit the Grand Canyon. You will not be disappointed.
Appreciate 2
Dang3r12508.50
jgoens3787.50
      01-10-2018, 01:14 PM   #13
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post

So far the plans
I was going to ask for more info in order to give you a qualified answer: what do you like to do ie...beaches, amusement parks, city life, scenic drives etc. Seems like you have a pretty good itinerary going. Tijuana and the border towns in Mexico are really not worth going to unless you want to go to bars and get drunk.

I would add items to your list such as Monterrey and the aquarium, Disneyland, Santa Cruz and the wine country (where I grew up) as mentioned. As for SF the tourist shopping spot is Union square...pricey.
Just North of the Golden gate is a cute town called Sausalito. Recommend on your Golden gate visit to go there and walk the shops and get something to eat. And you may want to visit Fort point which is under the bridge.

If a scenic drive is your thing you may want to consider driving from Socal to Norcal along highway 1 along the coast and maybe staying in Santa Barbara for a day. The quickest drive along Highway 5 is pretty boring but will get you to the North in five hours.

I could go on and on with places but would need more info from you.
Dang3r12508.50
      01-10-2018, 01:16 PM   #14
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by are0lies View Post
Recommendation: leave Tijuana out, unless you don't mind a three hour wait to get back (unless going on a tour bus of some sort). A question I have is that you have the real Eifel tower, the real Venice canals, the real Monte Carlo, the real Paris, and the real Matterhorn, and you prefer to see fake ones? Seriously, if you can squeeze in a day, visit the Grand Canyon. You will not be disappointed.
Yeah, the Grand Canyon is very impressive--you will never see anything like that.
Dang3r12508.50
      01-10-2018, 01:20 PM   #15
arok99
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: White 435i Grand Coupe

As far as food, there's some great places to eat in San Diego. Tacos El Gordo in Chula Vista is great, if you are down for some lobster tocos there's spot in Pacific Beach can't remember the name but it's pretty good. If you are in the mood for some fancy tacos you can also hit up Lucha Libre tacos near the SD airport, breakfast at Broken Yolk in downtown (Be sure to check out Gas Lamp district). For beer check out Karl Strauss, Stone Brewing and Ballast Point. If you are going to through LA and want to try some Chicken and Waffles Rascoe's is good, there's a laundry list of good food in LA. San Francisco tons of good food, from Dim Sum to some great cookies from Specialty's.
Appreciate 1
Dang3r12508.50
      01-10-2018, 01:21 PM   #16
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
three hour??! you must know somebody that works for the border patrol lol...took me like 4.5

don't go to TJ
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #17
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

What are some of the things you like to do? I can help recommend places in San Diego.

Recommend at least going to the Gaslamp District (5th ave) and checking out La Jolla shores. If you want to check out the beach communities Encinitas/Cardiff is a great place to take in the beach which getting great beer/food. Also if you like beer, check out Stone Brewery in Escondido (they have locations throughout SD, but this is their headquarters) as they have a great restaurant attached to the brewery.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2018, 01:28 PM   #18
arok99
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
three hour??! you must know somebody that works for the border patrol lol...took me like 4.5

don't go to TJ
And that's on a Good Day!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 01:36 PM   #19
arok99
Private
United_States
Rep

If you like wine or motorcycles you might want to also check out Temecula, there's a spot I like to go to just to look at the collection of motorcycles. Place called Doffo Winery, if you get a chance to meet the owner and if he's cool with you he may even show you his collection of crated (unboxed) Ducati's sitting next to his Ferrari. It was actually pretty amazing.
Appreciate 1
Dang3r12508.50
      01-10-2018, 01:55 PM   #20
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
visit the Grand Canyon. You will not be disappointed.
Agree if you haven't been before, or atleast a visit to the Hoover dam.

Other than that I would spend as much time as possible driving along the coast on Route 1.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 02:10 PM   #21
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Our first intention was to start over from San Francisco and go onto the coast line down, but we had to saddle up the tour vice versa caused by enormous waitin lists at returning flights from LAX to Germany. I know the Gran Canyon since the days as flying through was allowed, incredible experience.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #22
are0lies
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Agree if you haven't been before, or atleast a visit to the Hoover dam.

Other than that I would spend as much time as possible driving along the coast on Route 1.
BIG
Appreciate 0