BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board So if you had $50K to invest, where would you put it?

04-14-2020, 10:28 PM   #441
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckle View Post
Ok need a little help to save me from my dumb assery. Last week I meant to buy some shares in CTXR but accidentally purchased CTXRW which is a warrant stock. I have absolutely no idea what to do with it now. It shows a very small growth but when I try to look at selling it the suggested sale price is below what I paid. I was trying to get out of it since I don't know anything about warrants. All of the explanations are clear as mud to me.

Nice you all are done making fun of me can someone give me insight on what to do?

Thanks

Nuck
Isn't a warrant stock kind of like an options?
      04-14-2020, 10:31 PM   #442
Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
Quote:
Ok need a little help to save me from my dumb assery. Last week I meant to buy some shares in CTXR but accidentally purchased CTXRW which is a warrant stock. I have absolutely no idea what to do with it now. It shows a very small growth but when I try to look at selling it the suggested sale price is below what I paid. I was trying to get out of it since I don't know anything about warrants. All of the explanations are clear as mud to me.

Nice you all are done making fun of me can someone give me insight on what to do?

Thanks

Nuck
Isn't a warrant stock kind of like an options?
I am embarrassed to say I don't know.

As for you previous post, I am not playing anything long term right now. I see double digit growth and I am out. I see major loss coming and I am out. Just trying to make a few bucks if I can or not lose much. Not gambling a large sum, about what I would budget to use for a few days in Vegas.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 05:42 AM   #443
corn18
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
2014 Jeep Wrangler 2D  [0.00]
2015 Chevy 2500HD  [0.00]
2015 Z4  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:

As for you previous post, I am not playing anything long term right now. I see double digit growth and I am out. I see major loss coming and I am out. Just trying to make a few bucks if I can or not lose much. Not gambling a large sum, about what I would budget to use for a few days in Vegas.
Sell it. Today.
      04-15-2020, 06:03 AM   #444
Jordan's World
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i M-Sport Coupe

Question for the more experienced traders; when you guys go to sell a share, what factors are you taking into consideration when choosing between order types? Up until now I've just been selling at market order, however I'm thinking it would be beneficial to set a few limit orders for my more volatile stock picks.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 06:25 AM   #445
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan's World View Post
Question for the more experienced traders; when you guys go to sell a share, what factors are you taking into consideration when choosing between order types? Up until now I've just been selling at market order, however I'm thinking it would be beneficial to set a few limit orders for my more volatile stock picks.
The more important thing you need to figure out first are the factors you're taking into consideration regarding when you are selling to begin with...the question of then how to sell will answer itself.

Why are you wanting to sell in the first place?
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3509.50
      04-15-2020, 07:29 AM   #446
Nuckle
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Quote:

Sell it. Today.
Not helpful if you don't tell me more.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 07:30 AM   #447
corn18
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
2014 Jeep Wrangler 2D  [0.00]
2015 Chevy 2500HD  [0.00]
2015 Z4  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
You bought something you don't understand. It's just that simple. Would you buy it today if you had a choice? If not, sell it.
      04-15-2020, 07:39 AM   #448
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Quote:
Depends on the stock. For volatile ones, you can set a conditional order. Like, if a stock goes up and you're trying to sell at/near the top, you can set a condition that would trigger a sale at a certain price if the 'last sold' begins to trend down or reaches a certain point. IMPORTANT: it absolutely won't guarantee you'll sell as the price could just breakthrough thru too quickly and go below your limit, or it may reach the limit and then skyrocket again. That, actually, has been #1 conspiracy theory that market manipulators specifically exploit data and knock out stop orders, conditional orders, etc. to their advantage.

For more stale ones, just limit. I never trust a market order.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8208.00
      04-15-2020, 09:00 AM   #449
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Set market order for AXP to $69. Gonna put a few thousands in there. If it goes back to high few months ago I’ll double the investment. If it just goes to $100-110 a share that’d still be a very good gain. If there will be a decline it will hit $69 or lower (was low 70’s a week or two ago). Consumer spending is down so I expect it to drop and then picking back up once economy recovers.

Aiki is interesting but too risky. It’s been at 50 cents - 60 cents for a long time and only blipped to $2.2 yesterday. Too risky to buy now even at 88 cents a share.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8208.00
      04-15-2020, 09:05 AM   #450
Nuckle
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Quote:
You bought something you don't understand. It's just that simple. Would you buy it today if you had a choice? If not, sell it.
Warrant stocks are odd they. It will not sell for what is shown as the market price. I have tried several times to do just what you said. When starting a sales order sometimes it defaults to .25, .10 or .01.

Another question for the group. Yesterday I bought UAL for $31.735 and it shows in my history as filled at that amount. This morning on my positions page it shows my purchase price as $37.68 and a large total loss. But if I sold it now at the going rate I would only lose $5 total. Any idea why my purchase price is showing higher than history but all the math works on the totals?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 09:59 AM   #451
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Quote:
Another question for the group. Yesterday I bought UAL for $31.735 and it shows in my history as filled at that amount. This morning on my positions page it shows my purchase price as $37.68 and a large total loss. But if I sold it now at the going rate I would only lose $5 total. Any idea why my purchase price is showing higher than history but all the math works on the totals?
Wash sale, as you you traded UAL before?
Appreciate 1
Nuckle2192.50
      04-15-2020, 10:05 AM   #452
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Set market order for AXP to $69. Gonna put a few thousands in there. If it goes back to high few months ago I’ll double the investment. If it just goes to $100-110 a share that’d still be a very good gain. If there will be a decline it will hit $69 or lower (was low 70’s a week or two ago). Consumer spending is down so I expect it to drop and then picking back up once economy recovers.

Aiki is interesting but too risky. It’s been at 50 cents - 60 cents for a long time and only blipped to $2.2 yesterday. Too risky to buy now even at 88 cents a share.
Buy the dip!!!

PIXY was good for about $3+ a share this morning.

Last edited by Rmtt; 04-15-2020 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 10:08 AM   #453
Jordan's World
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
The more important thing you need to figure out first are the factors you're taking into consideration regarding when you are selling to begin with...the question of then how to sell will answer itself.

Why are you wanting to sell in the first place?
Great point. Sounds like I need to gain a better understanding of certain sell indicators before deciding what type of sell option to choose. I might have jumped the gun here.

To be honest, I was putting more thought into the buy then the sell. I was banking on the idea I'd know when to sell by just being content with "x" amount of return, however I'm quickly discovering this is difficult to do and find myself wanting to hang on for higher returns.

I am using a candlestick chart through my fidelity account and attempting to identify certain momentum shifts. For example: On 3/19 three days after witnessing what looked like a bearish abandoned baby, I bought BMWYY. I then sold it on 03/25 for $17.06 for a 25.5% return simply because there were two prior days of 3% (+) gains and thought it would drop again. This was my first stock purchase, so it was more of a learning experience than an attempt to make a profit. I bought a grand worth.

Also, I'm entirely cash right now, was just curious.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 10:22 AM   #454
Nuckle
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Quote:
Wash sale, as you you traded UAL before?
That's it. Thanks! So it shows where I need to sell it now to recover my previous losses.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 10:40 AM   #455
Jordan's World
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Depends on the stock. For volatile ones, you can set a conditional order. Like, if a stock goes up and you're trying to sell at/near the top, you can set a condition that would trigger a sale at a certain price if the 'last sold' begins to trend down or reaches a certain point. IMPORTANT: it absolutely won't guarantee you'll sell as the price could just breakthrough thru too quickly and go below your limit, or it may reach the limit and then skyrocket again. That, actually, has been #1 conspiracy theory that market manipulators specifically exploit data and knock out stop orders, conditional orders, etc. to their advantage.

For more stale ones, just limit. I never trust a market order.
Intersting insight. I had no idea you could get that specific.

I don't think my brokerage account allows you to set such detailed parameters like you mentioned. The only option I see for conditions are under limit order>GTC>Do not reduce. I am using Fidelity.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 11:02 AM   #456
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Intersting insight. I had no idea you could get that specific.

I don't think my brokerage account allows you to set such detailed parameters like you mentioned. The only option I see for conditions are under limit order>GTC>Do not reduce. I am using Fidelity.
Sometimes brokers will limit parameters according to how much money you have in. Others may charge a small fee for the "add-ons".
      04-15-2020, 11:29 AM   #457
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Buy the dip!!!

PIXY was good for about $3+ a share this morning.
It’s so damn volatile for my taste. I don’t like buying things that fluctuate so much. Unless someone likes doing day trading, knows how to predict things and and can deal with the ebb and flow, it’s not for me. I prefer something more “predictable” with some safety margins built in.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8208.00
      04-15-2020, 11:35 AM   #458
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
So what long term (5+ years) items are you guys looking at? I feel like I want to wait for Q2 closing.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 11:58 AM   #459
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Never market. Always limit. Have heard horror stories on market orders being filled.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2020, 12:00 PM   #460
Zara
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Anyone trading/watching oil during this time? Crude is below $20.. Would love to hear some input especially with all these production cuts.

Debating in getting back into futures trading just to go long on crude with these steal prices, but I'm watching Shell & Mobil stocks as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 12:04 PM   #461
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Dow is down 500 today but many stocks especially blue chips aren't taking big hits.

Top story today reads "stocks fall after grim economic, earnings data" Lmao really!! Who woulda guessed! Was this not expected while the market was up like 500 points yesterday? Market is full of idiots I swear
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 12:18 PM   #462
Jordan's World
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Never market. Always limit. Have heard horror stories on market orders being filled.
My god, good thing I asked. What factors should I consider when setting my limit price? Like say I want to get rid of something that day, would you just set the price a few cents more than the ask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Sometimes brokers will limit parameters according to how much money you have in. Others may charge a small fee for the "add-ons".
Ahh, this explains it. I think I need to start shopping around for a more modern brokerage account. Fidelity seems outdated, but what do I know. Their active trader pro is kind of cool, but too complicated for this novice.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8208.00