BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Whiskey/Scotch Thread

08-25-2020, 10:47 PM   #507
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Yeah i have the michters bourbon also and not really a fan.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 11:38 AM   #508
WhiskyPat12
Reclaiming My Time!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskyPat12 View Post
So my wife surprised me with a Flaviar membership for a year. Anyone familiar with it or use it?

I get a "premium" bottle and tasting box every quarter. But so far I've found they have a few bottles I've wanted and had a hard time finding near me. Free shipping is part of the membership.
Got the two bottles I ordered, excited to try the Rye!
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb762 View Post
this might just be the alcohol talking, but I love you man...
Appreciate 2
jamesinaz1627.00
David701567.00
      08-27-2020, 07:04 PM   #509
lakefront
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Macan GTS

Anyone hear of or try Sagamore Spirit Rye Cask Strength? Never heard of it but local guy was selling it for $29.99 and saw it online for $70+. Just opened it and really like it.....a Maryland distillery?
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2020, 08:53 AM   #510
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefront View Post
Anyone hear of or try Sagamore Spirit Rye Cask Strength? Never heard of it but local guy was selling it for $29.99 and saw it online for $70+. Just opened it and really like it.....a Maryland distillery?
$30 is a great price. I have a few bottles of the cask strength and it is good. Takes a few drops of water to bring out all of the flavor due to the higher proof but I would jump on it for that price. I think I paid close to $50 (retail)
Attached Images

2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 08:56 AM   #511
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Pretty much any of the Ardbeg day releases will also have the fruitiness overpowering the peat. There is also the Laphroig PX cask that is a sherry cask finish that is really good. Those are really my favorite kinds of islays, will have to try and find this Smokehead stuff!
Just as a followup, had another glass of the smokehead sherry bomb last night and again really enjoyed it. Have lost the nutty nose, though I still think the nose is fantastic.

Have bought another bottle to keep for a little while.
Appreciate 1
Hawkeye2069.50
      08-28-2020, 08:56 AM   #512
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Got the two bottles I ordered, excited to try the Rye!
Great choices. I love that American Whiskey!
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2020, 09:13 AM   #513
WhiskyPat12
Reclaiming My Time!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Great choices. I love that American Whiskey!
It's such a good one! I can never find it when I wanted it, so I'm glad I have a bottle to enjoy now.
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 04:26 PM   #514
lakefront
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Macan GTS

Quote:
$30 is a great price. I have a few bottles of the cask strength and it is good. Takes a few drops of water to bring out all of the flavor due to the higher proof but I would jump on it for that price. I think I paid close to $50 (retail)
Thanks for the review....gotta try it again with a little water. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 09:36 PM   #515
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

Finally cracked this open tonight.

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 09:40 PM   #516
WhiskyPat12
Reclaiming My Time!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHaze View Post
Finally cracked this open tonight.

Damn that description made my mouth water

Give us some details man, how is it?
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 10:36 PM   #517
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I don't have a ton of expertise on scotch, but I really like it. It's definitely smoky, but not overbearing. Not sure I can taste the fruit pudding and bitter cherry haha. The only other Ardbeg I have that I can compare it to is Uigeadail, and I think I like this more. This seems to be a little sweeter with less of the iodine and band-aid smell. I'll have to do a side-by-side sometime.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2020, 12:02 AM   #518
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHaze View Post
I don't have a ton of expertise on scotch, but I really like it. It's definitely smoky, but not overbearing. Not sure I can taste the fruit pudding and bitter cherry haha. The only other Ardbeg I have that I can compare it to is Uigeadail, and I think I like this more. This seems to be a little sweeter with less of the iodine and band-aid smell. I'll have to do a side-by-side sometime.
The Blaaack definitely has some cherry flavor and like most of the Ardbeg day releases it is much lighter on the peat. I enjoy these releases a lot but they are hard to justify for over 2x the price of Ardbeg 10 as that is also a very solid Islay (just not fruity at all).
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 10:12 AM   #519
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The Blaaack definitely has some cherry flavor and like most of the Ardbeg day releases it is much lighter on the peat. I enjoy these releases a lot but they are hard to justify for over 2x the price of Ardbeg 10 as that is also a very solid Islay (just not fruity at all).
I don't drink a ton of scotch, but I saw this bottle at MSRP in my state and figured I'd jump on it. I usually stick with A'bunadh, but I like trying new things. I've never had the Ardbeg 10, I'll have to pick that one up sometime. Thanks for the recommendation!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 10:55 AM   #520
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Alright all - need some recommendations. I've looked at the 'malt map' but am still struggling to find some 'mid price' single malts I really enjoy.

Right now, here is where I am at:

Macallan 12yr classic cut: My absolute favorite, but at $140 a bottle, too expensive for a nightly drink before bed each night.

Macallan 12yr original: Cheaper, at about $90 a bottle, but far less enjoyable than the above.

Glenmorangie 10yr: This is my current 'go to' bottle. Nice flavor and notes for a price point around $40

Glenn Moray 10yr Sherry Cask: This is my other 'go to' bottle. Love everything about it and hard to beat at around $35 a bottle.

Dalmore 12yr: This is probably the closest I've found to the Macallan classic cut I love for a more reasonable price, but at about $80 a bottle, still on the high end for a daily drink.

Craggenmore 12yr: I DID NOT like this at all. Way too much floral notes.

Oban 14yr: Same with this one, way to floral for me, didn't like it at all.

Glenfiddich 12yr: This one I am on the fence with. Good price point, but like several others better.

Anyone have any other recommendations?
      08-31-2020, 11:45 AM   #521
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Alright all - need some recommendations. I've looked at the 'malt map' but am still struggling to find some 'mid price' single malts I really enjoy.

Macallan 12yr classic cut: My absolute favorite, but at $140 a bottle, too expensive for a nightly drink before bed each night.

Macallan 12yr original: Cheaper, at about $90 a bottle, but far less enjoyable than the above.

Glenmorangie 10yr: This is my current 'go to' bottle. Nice flavor and notes for a price point around $40

Glenn Moray 10yr Sherry Cask: This is my other 'go to' bottle. Love everything about it and hard to beat at around $35 a bottle.

Dalmore 12yr: This is probably the closest I've found to the Macallan classic cut I love for a more reasonable price, but at about $80 a bottle, still on the high end for a daily drink.

Glenfiddich 12yr: This one I am on the fence with. Good price point, but like several others better.

Sadly, scotch is just more expensive when it comes to whisky.

Based on your preferences I think you would like Arbelour 16y (one of my favorites ~$80) and you might like the Glenmorangie La Santa and La Quinta Ruban. Around the Christmas holidays Costco usually does a package deal for the Glenmorangie 10y, La Santa, and La Quinta Ruban all for under $100, which is pretty unbeatable at that price.

Most people really like Balvenie 14 carribean cask (tad sweeter but very good) and you can usually find for around $50.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
      08-31-2020, 12:25 PM   #522
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Here is what is currently at my house-

Macallan 12 Sherry
Macallan 12 Double Cask
Macallan 15 Double Cask
Macallan 18 Double Cask
Macallan 15 Triple Cask

Balvenie 14 Carribean Cask

Dalmore 12

Lagavulin 16

Aberlour Abunda'h

Aberloud Abunda'h Alba

Glenfiddich 18

Highland Park 12

Woodford Reserve

Maker's Mark

I could provide my opinions on any of those if anyone cares...
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 12:40 PM   #523
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:

Bruichladdich "Classic Laddie" (teal bottle) a try. Unpeated and quite tasty, IMO. Sells for ~$60 in MI, even with our crappy booze taxes.
Appreciate 3
Run Silent15127.00
Hawkeye2069.50
      08-31-2020, 01:24 PM   #524
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Most people really like Balvenie 14 carribean cask (tad sweeter but very good) and you can usually find for around $50.
I need to come back around and give Balvenie another try. I gave one of their sample packs a shot many months ago before I really knew what I was tasting. They were 'good' but nothing stood out. Perhaps I need to check again.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
Bruichladdich "Classic Laddie" (teal bottle) a try. Unpeated and quite tasty, IMO. Sells for ~$60 in MI, even with our crappy booze taxes.
I've never heard of it. Will have to see if my local store has it in stock. Remember I live in the middle of nowhere, lol.

Appreciate the recommendation and will check it out.
      08-31-2020, 01:50 PM   #525
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
I need to come back around and give Balvenie another try. I gave one of their sample packs a shot many months ago before I really knew what I was tasting. They were 'good' but nothing stood out. Perhaps I need to check again.

Thanks.

I've never heard of it. Will have to see if my local store has it in stock. Remember I live in the middle of nowhere, lol.

Appreciate the recommendation and will check it out.
There are a number of Balvenie's that aren't much to write home about so to speak. His specific recommendation was the Caribbean cask, which is good, but definitely on sweeter side. So I would only look for that one. It is one that I enjoy as well from time to time, just recently bought another bottle of it a month ago or so.

The dalmore is honestly probably your best bet out of the ones I've had. It is a pay to play type game though. I've just modified my drinking schedule to only the weekend so that the bottles don't drain as quickly. They still do become empty at an alarming rate.

But Macallan will always hold a high place in my heart, so much so that I named my dog Macallan on his papers...just Mac for short though. So I understand your fondness for Macallan scotch.

I think I may have said it before, but don't be too surprised if in 5 years or so your tastes wander to the the peaty brine of the typical Islay scotches. You sort of have to force down a bottle or two at first, but then you really grow to like them. I like having a mix of Islay and Speyside/Highlands in the cabinet and choose based on what I'm feeling like that night.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      08-31-2020, 02:03 PM   #526
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
There are a number of Balvenie's that aren't much to write home about so to speak. His specific recommendation was the Caribbean cask, which is good, but definitely on sweeter side. So I would only look for that one. It is one that I enjoy as well from time to time, just recently bought another bottle of it a month ago or so.

The dalmore is honestly probably your best bet out of the ones I've had. It is a pay to play type game though. I've just modified my drinking schedule to only the weekend so that the bottles don't drain as quickly. They still do become empty at an alarming rate.

But Macallan will always hold a high place in my heart, so much so that I named my dog Macallan on his papers...just Mac for short though. So I understand your fondness for Macallan scotch.

I think I may have said it before, but don't be too surprised if in 5 years or so your tastes wander to the the peaty brine of the typical Islay scotches. You sort of have to force down a bottle or two at first, but then you really grow to like them. I like having a mix of Islay and Speyside/Highlands in the cabinet and choose based on what I'm feeling like that night.
I would also add the Balvenie 15y Sherry Cask to the great options from them, but at $110+ it doesn't fit his criteria.

I took the opposite approach, instead of modifying my drinking schedule, I just upped my collection so I don't notice stuff draining as quickly.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      08-31-2020, 03:40 PM   #527
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Had a little sample session of stuff I've been seeking out. Star of the show was definitely the Willet 12y.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
TheHaze152.00
      08-31-2020, 04:16 PM   #528
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

The Balvenie Carribean Cask is OK at best... has a sharp bite initially... certainly not a top choice for me.