BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) Arise Sir Lewis!!!

12-31-2020, 07:24 AM   #23
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

[QUOTE=npe;27069481]Care to play some bingo?

You need
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2020, 07:44 AM   #24
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
actually for knight part its in old times for sure but the whole point of Sir that understandably turned into something metaphoric.. a warriror.. otherwise at least i havent seen any knight on the street killing enemies..

first of all i kindly ask a minor tweak of F1 drivers perception of not being pro athletes Murf.. cause their physical state is better than a lot of athletes in olympics for example they have stamina and guts to the same thing in a car and losing 3-5L of water during 2 hours race.. and its not because they re in sauna and just "chillin" as you know.. and after races they re still running around, dealing with press etc.. its not for every human being.. after a season break even they need more driving to deal with it again..

for Lewis.. he was and actually still only black racing driver imagine its like that from your early childhood.. he is fighting for environmental changes in sports and its working, less carbon and zero carbon is not far away from motorsports, he is fighting for women rights and pushing people to bring in more women into motorsports.. he is influencing in a positive way millions only by his IG account.. having less political communication "frequency" with people around him..

all this makes sense to me at least on some level and im sure Brit friends over here can draw a better picture..
So let me clarify my position. I agree that F1 Drivers and for that matter most drivers have a level of fitness that would qualify them as athletes, same for dancers etc. My remarks about athletes and entertainers stands as I was referring to Hamilton's preaching about environmental issues and veganism, I still don't care nor want to hear what he has to say. I don't doubt that being the only black guy in a sport has been an unbelievable challenge and his position on that doesn't bother me. I stand by my remarks that he seems young to receive this honour, and frankly the whole "knighthood" thing has lost its original meaning for me anyway. Happy New Year fellow car enthusiasts.
Appreciate 5
M5Rick58873.50
MKSixer34171.50
HFW0035664.50
yco5720.50
      12-31-2020, 07:46 AM   #25
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Well said MK -

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Well said.

We disagree on the waiting part but on the athleticism part we are 100 percent congruent. The average driver couldn't do 20 minutes in a street car at a racing track. F1 drivers are exposed to the highest continual g-forces of any profession on the planet. And these cars are now pulling 6 g's at some tracks and it is lap after lap with some other guy dive bombing you at the same time.

As Yco stated above, why should he wait? Isn't 28 years in his profession with 14 of them at the top of F1...always in contention for the WDC and winning 7 of them enough?

Cheers, my friend-mk
Well said MK,
Allow me to share my one-time experience driving a 6-speed race kart; this was a full-on competitive kart powered by a 125cc Honda 2-stroke tuned with racing expansion chamber, carburetor, etc and had Brembo brakes, racing slick tires, etc....the race track was a purposed built race kart track built in an area with significant elevation change, high-speed sweeping turns, off-camber turns, etc....I was wearing a hard sponge-type collar just below my fully enclosed helmet to assist with lateral G's....I was push started and it is hard to describe just how fast the race kart accelerated - it is blinding fast; I am very aware and experienced at the radical power band of a high performance 2 stroke engine as I used to race motocross competitively in the 250cc class (see my post on this on zpost); once I completed a lap to warm the tires, I took the kart to redline on the straight (you don't use the clutch to shift) and approached a left hander....I thought I had driven the machine as deep as possible approaching the turn before braking while traveling FAST in sixth gear, and jumped on the brakes....THE KART STOPPED NEARLY IMMEDIATELY....my nano-second thought was that I was now static on a race track and I'm going to be hit from behind....that was how extreme the negative G's and braking performance was....after recovering from this, I put together four consecutive laps pushing the race kart as hard as my skills would allow....and then pulled into the pits and stopped in front of the kart's owner....I put my visor up and he knelt down and asked me why I pulled in....I told him I COULD NOT TAKE THE LATERAL G'S AND MY NECK WAS GONE!!!!; he laughed.

Last edited by racerbruce; 12-31-2020 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 3
Murf99314114.00
MKSixer34171.50
HFW0035664.50
      12-31-2020, 07:54 AM   #26
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
So let me clarify my position. I agree that F1 Drivers and for that matter most drivers have a level of fitness that would qualify them as athletes, same for dancers etc. My remarks about athletes and entertainers stands as I was referring to Hamilton's preaching about environmental issues and veganism, I still don't care nor want to hear what he has to say. I don't doubt that being the only black guy in a sport has been an unbelievable challenge and his position on that doesn't bother me. I stand by my remarks that he seems young to receive this honour, and frankly the whole "knighthood" thing has lost its original meaning for me anyway. Happy New Year fellow car enthusiasts.
You forgot, "Now get off my lawn!!!"

Happy New Year to you and your lovely bride, my friend.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 3
Murf99314114.00
HFW0035664.50
      12-31-2020, 08:34 AM   #27
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
Well said MK,
Allow me to share my one-time experience driving a ra 6-speed race kart; this was a full-on competitive kart powered by a 125cc Honda 2-stroke tuned with racing expansion chamber, carburetor, etc and had Brembo brakes, racing slick tires, etc....the race track was a purposed built race kart track built in an area with significant elevation change, high-speed sweeping turns, off-camber turns, etc....I was wearing a hard sponge-type collar just below my fully enclosed helmet to assist with lateral G's....I was push started and it is hard to describe just how fast the race kart accelerated - it is blinding fast; I am very aware and experienced at the radical power band of a high performance 2 stroke engine as I used to race motocross competitively in the 250cc class (see my post on this on zpost); once I completed a lap to warm the tires, I took the kart to redline on the straight (you don't use the clutch to shift) and approached a left hander....I thought I had driven the machine as deep as possible approaching the turn before braking while traveling FAST in sixth gear, and jumped on the brakes....THE KART STOPPED NEARLY IMMEDIATELY....my nano-second thought was that I was now static on a race track and I'm going to be hit from behind....that was how extreme the negative G's and braking performance was....after recovering from this, I put together four consecutive laps pushing the race kart as hard as my skills would allow....and then pulled into the pits and stopped in front of the kart's owner....I put my visor up and he knelt down and asked me why I pulled in....I told him I COULD NOT TAKE THE LATERAL G'S AND MY NECK WAS GONE!!!!; he laughed.
GOOD STUFF!!

Shifter karts are NO JOKE!! Everyone who says that racing cars is easy has never been in a very fast street car and definitely not in a racing car. When I've take people for joy rides in my cars most couldn't take the linear acceleration of the i8 which tails off at about 80 mph nor understand how the M6 just keeps accelerating at 120 like a standard car does at 40. They just don't have the memory and the muscles don't have the physical memory. It really messes with their heads. And the brakes. I almost forgot the brakes. When on the Corsa System or Cup tires, the M6 will start to raise its nose when accelerating from a dig. It will stop on a dime and give you 6 cents in change. The uninitiated change their minds real quick on this.

Great post, my friend!!
Happy New Year to you and yours!!
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 3
Murf99314114.00
HFW0035664.50
racerbruce3848.50
      12-31-2020, 08:38 AM   #28
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
You forgot, "Now get off my lawn!!!"

Happy New Year to you and your lovely bride, my friend.
Same to you and yours (whoever Mrs Right or Mrs Right now is)....hopefully 2021 is a better year for everyone. Cheers.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
racerbruce3848.50
      12-31-2020, 08:39 AM   #29
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Same to you and yours (who Mrs Right or Mrs Right now is)....hopefully 2021 is a better year for everyone. Cheers.
It's Ms. Since August. LOL!
Appreciate 3
      12-31-2020, 09:51 AM   #30
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Well said MK,
Allow me to share my one-time experience driving a 6-speed race kart; this was a full-on competitive kart powered by a 125cc Honda 2-stroke tuned with racing expansion chamber, carburetor, etc and had Brembo brakes, racing slick tires, etc....the race track was a purposed built race kart track built in an area with significant elevation change, high-speed sweeping turns, off-camber turns, etc....I was wearing a hard sponge-type collar just below my fully enclosed helmet to assist with lateral G's....I was push started and it is hard to describe just how fast the race kart accelerated - it is blinding fast; I am very aware and experienced at the radical power band of a high performance 2 stroke engine as I used to race motocross competitively in the 250cc class (see my post on this on zpost); once I completed a lap to warm the tires, I took the kart to redline on the straight (you don't use the clutch to shift) and approached a left hander....I thought I had driven the machine as deep as possible approaching the turn before braking while traveling FAST in sixth gear, and jumped on the brakes....THE KART STOPPED NEARLY IMMEDIATELY....my nano-second thought was that I was now static on a race track and I'm going to be hit from behind....that was how extreme the negative G's and braking performance was....after recovering from this, I put together four consecutive laps pushing the race kart as hard as my skills would allow....and then pulled into the pits and stopped in front of the kart's owner....I put my visor up and he knelt down and asked me why I pulled in....I told him I COULD NOT TAKE THE LATERAL G'S AND MY NECK WAS GONE!!!!; he laughed.
I had pretty much the exact same experience..a few pals and I paid the owner of a kart track (every summer for a few years) to hire his single speed race kart to do timed laps against each other...4 laps was about the limit for our necks and wrists....and we were all pretty fit in those days. The acceleration and grip was astonishing.
After our first day I recall driving home in my 911 turbo and thinking it had somehow been transformed into a slow roly poly gripless luxobarge!
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
MKSixer34171.50
      12-31-2020, 10:34 AM   #31
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
I had pretty much the exact same experience..a few pals and I paid the owner of a kart track (every summer for a few years) to hire his single speed race kart to do timed laps against each other...4 laps was about the limit for our necks and wrists....and we were all pretty fit in those days. The acceleration and grip was astonishing.
After our first day I recall driving home in my 911 turbo and thinking it had somehow been transformed into a slow roly poly gripless luxobarge!
Getting into a proper cart on the right track has always been something I've wanted to do.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      12-31-2020, 11:02 AM   #32
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Getting into a proper cart on the right track has always been something I've wanted to do.
Its definitely a fun experience....it completely resets your mind as to what is possible with slicks on a grippy track.
Half the battle is being brave enough to take turns at what seems way too fast.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
MKSixer34171.50
      12-31-2020, 12:20 PM   #33
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

YAY!

Quote:
It's Ms. Since August. LOL!
Greetings MK and Happy New Yr to you and Ms... and to all our ZPOST colleagues.
      12-31-2020, 12:23 PM   #34
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by npe View Post
Care to play some bingo?

Bingo!

We have a winner.
Appreciate 3
MKSixer34171.50
racerbruce3848.50
HFW0035664.50
      12-31-2020, 12:33 PM   #35
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
I’ve been fortunate enough to have been able to drive a number of race cars and have ridden HP bikes on racetracks for years, and the stamina required even at my level is tremendous.
This. Hell, go do a fifteen minute session at an indoor karting track and let me know how you feel...
Appreciate 3
MKSixer34171.50
racerbruce3848.50
HFW0035664.50
      12-31-2020, 01:23 PM   #36
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Greetings MK and Happy New Yr to you and Ms... and to all our ZPOST colleagues.
To you, as well and to all of our car enthusiasts colleagues throughout the world...especially BMW drivers and fans!!

HNY!
Appreciate 4
racerbruce3848.50
HFW0035664.50
yco5720.50
      12-31-2020, 01:36 PM   #37
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Quote:
happy new year Murf..
      01-01-2021, 05:22 AM   #38
Admiral
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 2.0D X Line G01

Quote:
Isn't this the sort of thing you get after your career?

They are giving them away like confetti, there are far more deserving people in the UK that should be Knighted
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58873.50
      01-01-2021, 06:17 AM   #39
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
They are giving them away like confetti, there are far more deserving people in the UK that should be Knighted
Indeed...I'm not especially happy with the idea of rewarding sports people for their achievements either.
But now it is a standard thing it would seem wrong not to now reward Hamilton for what is a truly outstanding career.
Appreciate 3
MKSixer34171.50
racerbruce3848.50
yco5720.50