BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Prestige cars....My 2 cents

04-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
Hamster12011
Reading Motor Trend doesn't make you an expert.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 135I (sold) 10 M6 (current)

Prestige cars....My 2 cents

I was meeting with our house contractor this afternoon and I took the Bimmer as I haven't driven it in a while. The guy seen me pull up and said
" That's a pretty fancy car you got there. People in the neigborhood will sure be jealous of you when you move in."

I just kinda laughed and said "I Guess." Then I started to think about it.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't consider BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar, Lexus or any other so called Premium brand car to be very prestigious. I do think they are much better then your run of the mill Chevrolet or Toyota, but I would never buy one or have never bought one for the badge or idea that others will think I am somehow better off then they are. I have bought every BMW and Merc. I have owned because it's the car I wanted. Thats it.

I think people who buy any of the car makes listed above for the badge alone are a bit Naive. I mean if you are buying a car to show others that you are rich or somehow better then they are, the car brands I think of are Bentley, Rolls Royce, Ferrari, Aston Martin and so on. It's still a shallow way to think, but I would never doubt someones wealth if their driveways were filled with those kinds of cars. But I mean a 3 series or an A6? Really? Just another car to me at the end of they day.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Watch out, there's one specific user on this subforum that loves to mention a car's badge-worthiness in the majority of his posts.

I think badges are pointless. I will admit that when I first became facinated with cars around 15-16, I didn't know much about them and went off of stereotypes and badging. I think the more somebody learns about how cars work and what makes them the type of vehicle they are, the more transparent the badging and companies said cars belong to become.

That would explain my disdain for modern BMWs, and for my recently-developed mountains of respect for domestic brands. I've yet to stumble across someone irl that seems to appreciate all kinds of cars like I do. Kind of annoying.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
It varies by location. BMW, Porsche, MB, Audi are like Camrys in my area but we took my fiance's FX35 to Ohio and stopped at a truck stop where someone was looking at it like it was a UFO. It would take a pretty exotic Ferrari or Lambo to get noticed here. Hell, even when I had the Exige, I wouldn't raise too many eyebrows.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
This is all I have to say... Most of the world does not drive anything close to what most people have on this forum... We are all VERY, VERY Lucky to have the cars we have... (And a little bit of hard work never hurt anyone.... ) But when I park at school I catch a lot of people doing this or this to my car...

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
It varies by location. BMW, Porsche, MB, Audi are like Camrys in my area but we took my fiance's FX35 to Ohio and stopped at a truck stop where someone was looking at it like it was a UFO. It would take a pretty exotic Ferrari or Lambo to get noticed here. Hell, even when I had the Exige, I wouldn't raise too many eyebrows.
I agree^^^ Location, Location, Location....

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

To the OP don't forget that were in Canada. We have less disposable mone. Also cars are damn expensive here, gas expensive, taxes expensive. I went on Mazda.ca and configured a regular Mazda 3 GS...this thing sets you back to around 500/month for 5 years. That's why when people see a crap Bmw 323 they blow their mind. I'm a car enthusiast I like the Hyundai Genesis coupe, civic si etc but my friends won't even look at them....many people are clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #7
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I dont seem to be much of a snob but i find it difficult to be excited about some previously unexciting companies like some of my co-forum members. It has to have a great story, philosophy, breeding and culture for it (in addition to the end product being a great car) to be in my wanted list.

BMW has it, Mercedes-Benz defines most of them and the company mentioned in my signature owned most of these segments since 1949.

Hyundai and Ford? Not really.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 10:54 PM   #8
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
I dont seem to be much of a snob but i find it difficult to be excited about some previously unexciting companies like some of my co-forum members. It has to have a great story, philosophy, breeding and culture for it (in addition to the end product being a great car) to be in my wanted list.

BMW has it, Mercedes-Benz defines most of them and the company mentioned in my signature owned most of these segments since 1949.

Hyundai and Ford? Not really.
Bmw is not exciting where is the exciting part in a 328,525,535,550 etc? I'd rather drive a mazdaspeed3 over a 328. Hell a caliber srt-4. Yes they're well built cars but not that exciting. I'd drive a Mustang over a lot of bmw products. Even an older focus SVT, contour SVT. What does story heritage has to do with the product. That's marketing, product placement. Hyundai was laughing stock a few years back now they're coming up fast...Once they get in serious motorsport racing they'll use that image to sell even more cars. Look at Subaru if it wasn't from WRC where would that company be now?Just think about the Loyale, DL, GL, Justy era.

By the way Ford, Chevy have done more then and have better culture then most japanese, euro manufacturers. Per exemple Ford won at LeMans, won in F1 , WRC, Nascar, BTCC, Australian touring cars and many more series. Henry Ford was a pioneer in the car industry.

I agree to a certain point with with post that carmakers like Honda swayed away from their original philosophy but so did Bmw and Mercedes.

Look out for Infiniti they tried in IRL to sell their name, now with Red Bull formula 1 team they will start building on that image. The models have not changed, the image is just changing. I've already seen a video of Vettel drifting around in a G37 sedan.

Quote:
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.

Last edited by mtla4; 04-26-2011 at 11:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 12:50 AM   #9
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

All you need to do is travel overseas and see Benz's/BMW's used as taxis.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 02:18 AM   #10
krnboy817
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i coupe

hope OP isnt being cocky with what he is saying... i may be wrong but i think most people who read it would say we are in RECESSION. 9.2% unemployment rate which means 13.5 million people would probably say... YOURE DAMN LUCKY N SO WHAT.

driving is poetry in motion.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 02:56 AM   #11
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
Bmw is not exciting where is the exciting part in a 328,525,535,550 etc? I'd rather drive a mazdaspeed3 over a 328. Hell a caliber srt-4. Yes they're well built cars but not that exciting. I'd drive a Mustang over a lot of bmw products. Even an older focus SVT, contour SVT. What does story heritage has to do with the product. That's marketing, product placement. Hyundai was laughing stock a few years back now they're coming up fast...Once they get in serious motorsport racing they'll use that image to sell even more cars. Look at Subaru if it wasn't from WRC where would that company be now?Just think about the Loyale, DL, GL, Justy era.

By the way Ford, Chevy have done more then and have better culture then most japanese, euro manufacturers. Per exemple Ford won at LeMans, won in F1 , WRC, Nascar, BTCC, Australian touring cars and many more series. Henry Ford was a pioneer in the car industry.

I agree to a certain point with with post that carmakers like Honda swayed away from their original philosophy but so did Bmw and Mercedes.

Look out for Infiniti they tried in IRL to sell their name, now with Red Bull formula 1 team they will start building on that image. The models have not changed, the image is just changing. I've already seen a video of Vettel drifting around in a G37 sedan.
disagree x100
/toolazytoexplainwhy

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
All you need to do is travel overseas and see Benz's/BMW's used as taxis.
go to any country and their native manufacturers will most likely serve taxi duty (i.e. camrys in japan)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 07:00 AM   #12
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy817 View Post
hope OP isnt being cocky with what he is saying... i may be wrong but i think most people who read it would say we are in RECESSION. 9.2% unemployment rate which means 13.5 million people would probably say... YOURE DAMN LUCKY N SO WHAT.
The recession ended over a year ago and every major market (less housing) has surpassed pre-recession levels. The long term average unemployment rate is around 6% so no matter what the actual percentage is, there are always going to be millions of people looking for work.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 07:20 AM   #13
NFS13
Car Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is / R8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post

Winner of the least intelligent, under researched post ever!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 09:14 AM   #14
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS13 View Post
Winner of the least intelligent, under researched post ever!
Listen I was explaining what was brand imaging marketing with exemples. I don't care what you think. A lot of guys on this board are dissing mustangs, camaro all the time and praising Bmw(being the best thing since sliced bread). Fanboyism have it's limits.I love driving yes I'd get a Genesis coupe over a 328I. I'd get a Mini over a 328I.

First of all the OP was stating that he does not care what brand it is nor what badge the car sports nor it's history or heritage...buying owning a car is all about gut feeling, sensation etc for a car enthusiast regardless of the brand, badge (Well I hope). Call me dumb call me ignorant I don't give a crap all I'm saying is that badges are worthless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster12011 View Post

Maybe it's just me, but I don't consider BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar, Lexus or any other so called Premium brand car to be very prestigious. I do think they are much better then your run of the mill Chevrolet or Toyota, but I would never buy one or have never bought one for the badge or idea that others will think I am somehow better off then they are. I have bought every BMW and Merc. I have owned because it's the car I wanted. Thats it.

I think people who buy any of the car makes listed above for the badge alone are a bit Naive. I mean if you are buying a car to show others that you are rich or somehow better then they are, the car brands I think of are Bentley, Rolls Royce, Ferrari, Aston Martin and so on..

Quote:

Last edited by mtla4; 04-27-2011 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #15
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Some dumb people ITT
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 03:55 PM   #16
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The recession ended over a year ago and every major market (less housing) has surpassed pre-recession levels. The long term average unemployment rate is around 6% so no matter what the actual percentage is, there are always going to be millions of people looking for work.
^^^

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 04:45 PM   #17
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
Watch out, there's one specific user on this subforum that loves to mention a car's badge-worthiness in the majority of his posts.

I think badges are pointless. I will admit that when I first became facinated with cars around 15-16, I didn't know much about them and went off of stereotypes and badging. I think the more somebody learns about how cars work and what makes them the type of vehicle they are, the more transparent the badging and companies said cars belong to become.

That would explain my disdain for modern BMWs, and for my recently-developed mountains of respect for domestic brands. I've yet to stumble across someone irl that seems to appreciate all kinds of cars like I do. Kind of annoying.
We need to meet.

I didnt buy a 330 for the badge but more for the car and the overall ownership experience.
      04-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #18
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
^^^
Was that not a factual statement?

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #19
azadian2b
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Quote:
Was that not a factual statement?
Nasdaq is back to pre-recession level, Dow and S&P are still down about 6-7% from December of 2007. For people who were planning for retirement and were expecting a total return over the same period of about 30% (assuming 7% annual returns), the damage done by the recession to their portfolios is still there even though we've almost reached pre-recession levels because of the lost time.

Furthermore, the overall unemployment figure in a healthy economy implies mobility. Unfortunately it appears as though the current unemployment numbers imply greater numbers of long term unemployed.

Fact-o-meter: not factual|---x-----------|very factual
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #20
Hamster12011
Reading Motor Trend doesn't make you an expert.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 135I (sold) 10 M6 (current)

[QUOTE=krnboy817;9465441]hope OP isnt being cocky with what he is saying... i may be wrong but i think most people who read it would say we are in RECESSION. 9.2% unemployment rate which means 13.5 million people would probably say... YOURE DAMN LUCKY N SO WHAT.[/QUOT

I wasn't being cocky at all. Just stating my thoughts on what seems to be a pretty common occurence in the automotive world. People buy vehicles for the wrong reasons. Look at people even on this site that bought a BMW and now bitch constantly about how much they cost to take care of. Some people are just dumb.

I realize things are pretty bad in your country still as I work for a large U.S company and am down there alot for work. However up here, at least in the west, the economic impact on us was very small. Second to that statement, I am not lucky...I worked hard for what I have and I buy things that make me and my girlfriend happy as a reward for my hard work. Between our two countries, we live in one of the richest areas in the world. There is no reason for anyone to be out of work. People are just lazy in North America and everyone wants something handed to them for nothing. I don't feel sorry for anyone who lived beyond their means and is now paying the price for it. Maybe next time, having that Range Rover in the driveway to try and impress the neighbors wont be such a priority.

Sorry for the rant, but there is no pity party on this end.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #21
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Living less than 5 miles from the DC area ferrari/lambo/maserati dealership, my little 328 doesn't catch many eyes. For me, that is a plus.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 11:57 PM   #22
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by azadian2b View Post
Nasdaq is back to pre-recession level, Dow and S&P are still down about 6-7% from December of 2007. For people who were planning for retirement and were expecting a total return over the same period of about 30% (assuming 7% annual returns), the damage done by the recession to their portfolios is still there even though we've almost reached pre-recession levels because of the lost time.

Furthermore, the overall unemployment figure in a healthy economy implies mobility. Unfortunately it appears as though the current unemployment numbers imply greater numbers of long term unemployed.

Fact-o-meter: not factual|---x-----------|very factual
I agree he worst might be over but it will be a while before people are running around like this...

Most people in the world are doing doing this right now.....

Appreciate 0