BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Wireless Charger Install

07-06-2023, 10:46 AM   #1
mhowanic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 440i GramCoupe

Garage List
Wireless Charger Install

Hi I recently got a 2022 Z4 M40i and it didn’t come with wireless charger installed. I found one out of a crashed z4 and am curious if the wireing for it is already ran in the car. Also curious if anyone has installed one or what all needs to come off to get the old one out.

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 12:06 PM   #2
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhowanic View Post
Hi I recently got a 2022 Z4 M40i and it didn’t come with wireless charger installed. I found one out of a crashed z4 and am curious if the wireing for it is already ran in the car. Also curious if anyone has installed one or what all needs to come off to get the old one out.

Thanks for the help!
I suspect the wiring is there but coding may be required. I'd search the other forums for coding requirements if any.

IIRC there's a thread in this forum regarding console disassembly. I believe the guy broke something when installing the crystal controller cover and had to disassemble the console to replace the controller. However, I really don't know how much disassembly is required just to install the wireless charger.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 12:17 PM   #3
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDiego View Post
I suspect the wiring is there but coding may be required. I'd search the other forums for coding requirements if any.

IIRC there's a thread in this forum regarding console disassembly. I believe the guy broke something when installing the crystal controller cover and had to disassemble the console to replace the controller. However, I really don't know how much disassembly is required just to install the wireless charger.
I also remember reading this and that the disassembly of the console was a PIA.

Also, with the exception of the 2023's there have been many complaints about the wireless charger causing overheating issues and I personally would not consider adding one.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 04:13 PM   #4
mhowanic
Private
Rep

Garage List
Appreciate both your replies. I just found the write up for the crystal controller install. That will be handy. As far as coding goes. I couldn’t find anything. Will see what happens once I get it installed.

I had read about the overheating issues. Unfortunately it was after I had bought the charger. The good news is I only paid $85 for it. Will give it a go and report back as far as coding goes.

If coding is required I’m hoping someone can help out there. That whole realm of things is new to me. I have a 2017 440i also and used BimmerCode for a few things. However they were all basic items. This may be a little more complex. Haha.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2023, 05:22 PM   #5
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:
Appreciate both your replies. I just found the write up for the crystal controller install. That will be handy. As far as coding goes. I couldn’t find anything. Will see what happens once I get it installed.

I had read about the overheating issues. Unfortunately it was after I had bought the charger. The good news is I only paid $85 for it. Will give it a go and report back as far as coding goes.

If coding is required I’m hoping someone can help out there. That whole realm of things is new to me. I have a 2017 440i also and used BimmerCode for a few things. However they were all basic items. This may be a little more complex. Haha.
The little custom built cooling fan that Kwajtrader made has helped a lot with that issue. It neatly tucks in just to the left of the phone.

I had a random thought today that I'm going to investigate, whether removing the cover while charging allows it to run cooler.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2023, 08:04 AM   #6
3ster
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe, M135i, M140i, Z4M40i

Quote:

Thanks for the help!
Hi, I have done this mod, I don't have any photos but it is a relatively simple process which I will attempt to describe in steps which will hopefully help you. So here goes (This process assumes you have the NFC tray and so the wireless charging tray is a direct replacement both in fit and connection):

1. Open the sliding cover for the phone and remove the small rubber mat on the left hand side using a small tab at the edge nearest you.

2. There is a single torx screw under the mat which you should remove. This will allow the tray to be lifted out to access the
underneath.

3. Place some cloths around the aperture as there is not much room and the tray will need to be moved about in the limited space.

4. Move the tray to access the connectors for the USB port and 12V socket then disconnect them leaving the NFC cable attached and this will allow the tray to be pulled further out .

5. The NFC unit is held in the tray by four clips, 2 on each side. Using 2 long thin trim removal tools, push them into the gaps between the clips and the unit at one end and this will allow the unit to be pushed out of the tray with the cable still connected.

6. Put the tray back in the console aperture and this will allow room for the NFC unit to be pulled out a bit further and the cable can be disconnected. (Warning this a a bit fiddly but it can be done with care)

7. Push the cable connector into the Wireless Charging unit and then push the unit back into the tray ensuring the cable does not get trapped between the unit and tray.

8. Replace the tray by reversing the removal process and it is done!

9. There is no need for any coding for the tray to work.

10 If you want the iDrive option to enable the warning that the phone is still in the tray when you open the door to leave the car then the following needs to be coded using Bimmercode:

1. Wireless Charging Warning Checkbox in iDrive
Goto Headunit HU_MGU
Select Expert Mode
Select 3000
Select HMI_SPEECH
Select WCA
Set to Active
select code

2. Warning sound and message in the Instrument cluster
Goto BDC_Body3
Select Expert Mode
Search for WCAWirelesschargingAblage
Select WCA_Enable
Set to Active
select code

This can be tested by turning off engine and pull the door handle, both sound and the popup appeared in the instrument cluster.

I hope this helps and feel free to come back to me if you need any further help or clarification

Last edited by 3ster; 07-07-2023 at 08:14 AM..
Appreciate 8
ebirotedu1464.50
alvitdk246.00
StanDiego6257.50
GerryC1629.50
Kwajtrader1092.00
Argo715.00
      07-07-2023, 09:40 AM   #7
mhowanic
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ster View Post
Hi, I have done this mod, I don't have any photos but it is a relatively simple process which I will attempt to describe in steps which will hopefully help you. So here goes (This process assumes you have the NFC tray and so the wireless charging tray is a direct replacement both in fit and connection):

1. Open the sliding cover for the phone and remove the small rubber mat on the left hand side using a small tab at the edge nearest you.

2. There is a single torx screw under the mat which you should remove. This will allow the tray to be lifted out to access the
underneath.

3. Place some cloths around the aperture as there is not much room and the tray will need to be moved about in the limited space.

4. Move the tray to access the connectors for the USB port and 12V socket then disconnect them leaving the NFC cable attached and this will allow the tray to be pulled further out .

5. The NFC unit is held in the tray by four clips, 2 on each side. Using 2 long thin trim removal tools, push them into the gaps between the clips and the unit at one end and this will allow the unit to be pushed out of the tray with the cable still connected.

6. Put the tray back in the console aperture and this will allow room for the NFC unit to be pulled out a bit further and the cable can be disconnected. (Warning this a a bit fiddly but it can be done with care)

7. Push the cable connector into the Wireless Charging unit and then push the unit back into the tray ensuring the cable does not get trapped between the unit and tray.

8. Replace the tray by reversing the removal [...]
Omg your incredible. This will be super helpful. I thought I was going to have to yank a ton of trim from the dash from the first documentation I saw. This sounds simple enough. I will most likely give it a go in a few days. Also glad the coding isn’t necessary outside of the warning which I can prob do without lol.

Will certainly reach out if I am stuck along the way. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0