BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum How and when did you learn about the G29 and when and why did you decide to buy it?

12-01-2022, 07:57 AM   #1
DavesZupra4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40

How and when did you learn about the G29 and when and why did you decide to buy it?

I would like to know how you encountered the G29 and when and why you bought it and how you felt when you first test drove or outright bought it? And how they compared to your other BMWs?

I had a 2015 m235i for 3 years and then got rid of it and just stopped following or knowing about any bmw models or any car for 3 years while I had some life issues to fix

When I finally decided to get one I wanted to try out taking over someone's lease of a 2020-21 m240i. I was scrolling the page skipping F80 M4s as I know how they drive and randomly found a z4 M40i. Didn't even know about it but I was stunned at how it looked in black and red interior. Went to the guy to take a look and told him I want it without test driving but he insisted. Holy sheet I knew the previous z4s just didn't drive that well, but the sound and handling of the new m40i and the premium looks and interior blew me away. It obviously handled far better to me than the last gen m4 did, and definitely far better than the 2015 soft looking m235i, and it even did a better lap than the M2 comp.(At this point I didn't even know this fact nor the fact the z4 and supra were a joint Toyota bmw collab meaning Toyota would help make it better handling/feeling).

So I took it over and eventually gave over the lease to someone else and bought a alpine white magma red z4.

IT is far far superior to my m235i, the i8(in power and handling), and the f80/82 m3/4 and the m2.

The supra sets awesome lap times beating out all the m cars except the new gen. But I prefer the classic and gorgeous look of the z4 vs supras aggressive look. They both drive and handle the same yet feel different which confuses some into thinking one is better than the other but they're the same. (Well the supra has more aggressive and Better sounding pops and bangs)

A simple tune on US spec m40i pushes it to 420whp on stage 1. I think I'm around 430whp and 470ish torque from butt dyno and statistics on similar tunes that I'm some percentages up and down by
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 08:23 AM   #2
tall0n
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW 530i  [9.00]
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
In January 2020 I bought a used 2006 Z4 3.0i. I liked it so much that I bought a new 2020 Z4 m40i within the next 6 months and have not looked back.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 10:38 AM   #3
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [8.00]
I was looking for a replacement for my Jaguar F Type and hadn't considered a BMW Z4 before seeing one on the lot.....I liked the look of the G29 and a test drive confirmed it was a better driving car than the SLC43AMG we were looking at and I liked the engine much better than the Boxster S's 4cyl (and the Boxster cost 50% more).

The only BMW I had previously was an X3 but compared to our SLK350, the Z4 was far more dynamic and faster. Compared to the F type, it wasn't quite as fast but handled better and was a smaller, lighter package with better visibility and more space.

Cheers,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 11:42 AM   #4
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
I had a 2004 CLK500 convertible with only 36,000 miles on it which I had babied but the upkeep was starting to get expensive. After having to replace the hydraulics for the top which weren't cheap I decided to call it a day.

I went to BMW of Ft. Lauderdale with the intention of test driving and ordering a 4 series convertible and spotted a white/ cognac 30i sitting in their garage. I hadn't seen any advertising on the Z4 (still haven't ) but was intrigued with the looks of the car. I thought that it looked absolutely beautiful both inside and out. After taking it for a test drive I knew it was the car for me but I wanted the more powerful engine of the M40i which I then ordered without ever taking a test drive in the Misano Blue/ ivory combination (I love blue cars!)

BMW would sell many more Z4's if they only advertised the car as it is a pleasure to drive!
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2022, 12:53 PM   #5
Horseman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
I've known about the Z4 for a LONG time. Like, Z3 was a favorite car I saw zipping around while I was in Germany.

When I was in Korea I saw the Z4 and loved it. Wanted to buy the E85. However, BMW had other plans by turning me away. Their loss.

Fast forward 18 years, I learned about the G29 from Doug Demuro (YouTube) and loved what I saw. And now I own one.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2022, 01:09 PM   #6
crashd
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

I had a E89 Z4 previously that I traded in for a 2014 M135i xDrive with the N55 engine. It's not sold in the US I think but anyways it was the 3 door version and I loved it - made some modifications and kept that car for 4 years.

Then I was hit with electric car fever and went to check a Tesla Model 3 and saw a Misano Blue Z4 parked at the front of the showroom in the bright lights. It only took a couple of days and it had become my Z4. Electric car fever gone
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2022, 02:07 PM   #7
gkgeiger
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i, '23 Z4 M40i order

After I sold my 911 I bought a M850i vert. I wish I would have looked at the Z car. I would have been happier and saved over $50k.
      12-01-2022, 04:53 PM   #8
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Did the PCD & factory tour on an earlier car. They were building the Z cars in South Carolina at the time. We followed the car through production & the Z sort of stayed in my mind.

Checked the currant Z4 out when the C8 wait list got way to long to even consider it. They let me keep it for a weekend & I bought it that Monday morning. Very happy with it.

Was a good replacement for the 718S Boxster I sold to my son in law. The Z4 is more of a GT car than sports car like the Boxster. Much more comfortable on 3 hour runs.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 05:56 PM   #9
DavesZupra4
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger View Post
After I sold my 911 I bought a M850i vert. I wish I would have looked at the Z car. I would have been happier and saved over $50k.
I had a chance to rent a m850i in Hawaii. It's nice sure but honestly the sound on it just sounds like a big v8 and the performance and handling just was awkward.

The z4s i6 sounds far better it gets louder and louder till redline and screams. The interior looks the same and even slightly more unique than the m850i (seats are so unique in z4 compared to all other bmw lineup), and the z4 looks better and more proportionate as well. Not sure why you canceled your 2023 for a basic 850 that everyone has
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 06:03 PM   #10
Paragon-A
Paragon-A
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4

I Started working at a BMW dealership last year , I had a customer come in to test drive a used z4s30 with only 300 miles in early March, that was my first time seeing/being in a z4. It was a fun 15 min test drive and about 10 mins in I started thinking....if she doesn't buy this car, I'm buying it She bought it , so that same day I built and placed an order for mine . Traded in my 2018 Accord 6 months later when it arrived . I'm Never going Back
Appreciate 2
Horseman4155.00
      12-01-2022, 06:44 PM   #11
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon-A View Post
I Started working at a BMW dealership last year , I had a customer come in to test drive a used z4s30 with only 300 miles in early March, that was my first time seeing/being in a z4. It was a fun 15 min test drive and about 10 mins in I started thinking....if she doesn't buy this car, I'm buying it She bought it , so that same day I built and placed an order for mine . Traded in my 2018 Accord 6 months later when it arrived . I'm Never going Back
Once you take a ride in the Z4 it feels like you took a drug, I was addicted after my test drive!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 08:42 PM   #12
DavesZupra4
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
Once you take a ride in the Z4 it feels like you took a drug, I was addicted after my test drive!
Drugs wear off this is why I only drive about 50 miles on average per week
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 11:36 PM   #13
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZupra4 View Post
I would like to know how you encountered the G29 and when and why you bought it and how you felt when you first test drove or outright bought it? And how they compared to your other BMWs?
My G29 is my first BMW ever. When I started shopping, I really wasn't shopping BMWs.

I had a couple of Miatas ('07 and '12) that were a blast to drive but the cockpit was cramped, seats rather uncomfortable for long trips, and trunk was tiny. The wife loved the look of the MINI so we went through a couple of MINI Cooper S convertibles ('16 and '19) but ultimately they just didn't trip my trigger.

This past summer, I started looking for a new sporty convertible, wanted new rather than used. It's a short list: Mustang, nope; Camaro, nope; Audi TT, maybe; MB SLC, no longer in production; Corvette, out of my price range when optioned the way I desired; Boxster, out of my price range when optioned out.

Running out of options, I looked at BMW models. I'd looked at a 2 series convertible a few years back (an alternative to the MINI) but wasn't excited about it. This time, I took a look at a 4 series convertible and gave it some serious thought but then it suddenly hit me one day: I didn't care for the MINI ultimately because it wasn't a roadster. I've dearly loved every one of my two-seaters, my '71 MGB I drove as a teen, my two Miatas, and even my '83 Datsun which was a very first new car purchase.

It was only then that I started looking at the G29. I was familiar with and had driven E85s and E89s and was underwhelmed by both the looks and the ride. I didn't realize BMW had developed the G29 and had never seen one before. Upon researching it, it was pretty much love at first site. It was the complete package that I had been seeking: sporty and unique design, excellent performance, two seat convertible, comfortable seats and relatively roomy interior (for a roadster), and a spacious trunk. Icing on the cake: good fuel economy and (barely) within my price range (s30i not M40i).

Soon I discovered they had ceased production on the s30i at the end of June but discovered one nearby, in production. I placed a deposit on it in July, took delivery at the end of August. Thankfully, having never actually driven a G29, it was love at first sight. It's a keeper (unless y'all brainwash me into a M40i down the road ) and, FWIW, only the second car I've ever paid cash for rather than taking out a loan. Perhaps not the best financial investment but certainly the best personal welfare investment.

Sorry for being so long winded but I wanted to share what I suspect is a much different path to the G29 than most of you.
Appreciate 2
      12-02-2022, 06:45 AM   #14
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Drugs wear off this is why I only drive about 50 miles on average per week
Oh my GOODNESS!! Sounds like you're not a fan or enthusiast. I almost have to ask why you got one.

I can't get enough of mine, honestly. This is my first BMW, for sure, but I'd test driven the 430 and 440 and M40i before I bought my 30i. There's not a moment where I get tired of driving my Z4. Wish I had more of it actually.

I'd be curious to learn more about why you feel like the "drug wears off" after 50 miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 07:00 AM   #15
OVERLND99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M40i

Garage List
I too was not looking at BMW and had never owned one. I always considered BMW out of my price range. I have had 4 Mustangs (coupe and convertible) and many other vehicles (including Wrangler ~ convertible). At this point in my life, I wanted something that was nicer and better than "just a Mustang". I knew I wanted a convertible, but didn't know where to look.

I had heard of and seen the James Bond Z cars and of course, loved them, but that was so long ago. I began to research like crazy. I owned an Audi A5 Sportback at the time, so naturally I looked at the TT (which i had known and always liked).

We have finally reached a point in our lives that I could afford what I wanted, within reason, and now the convertible pony cars, and even the TT just didn't satisfy me anymore. My dream car - Porsche - was out of my price range (if I wanted any options), but I wanted something that would make me almost forget that dream and have a new one. One day I came across a YouTube video of the G29. I probably watched it 10 times. I made the decision then and there, that is what I wanted. I think I have now watched every video on YouTube in English (and a few with captions) I can find on the G29.

My local BMW dealership had a San Francisco Red M40 on their lot that was ordered and spoken for already. I took my wife down to see it (first time for either of us to see one in real life). I immediately feel in love. Also, this was the first car my wife ever stopped in her tracks and said "wow" about. I knew right then I had made the right decision. I placed my order on 9/1. She is currently sitting in the VPC at the Galveston Port. I am hoping she will be here in the next week or so.
Appreciate 3
      12-02-2022, 07:05 AM   #16
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
OMG... ya know I forgot about the videos that BMW put out with Clive Owen with the E85. That really hit it home for me to want the Z4 in the early 2000's. I can't believe I forgot about those.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 03:05 PM   #17
DavesZupra4
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
Oh my GOODNESS!! Sounds like you're not a fan or enthusiast. I almost have to ask why you got one.

I can't get enough of mine, honestly. This is my first BMW, for sure, but I'd test driven the 430 and 440 and M40i before I bought my 30i. There's not a moment where I get tired of driving my Z4. Wish I had more of it actually.

I'd be curious to learn more about why you feel like the "drug wears off" after 50 miles.
Because I take mine out in the canyons mostly (track is too far), would you like to see my m laptimer app records in the canyon lol. I've hit 130mph in curvy canyon mountain roads near Malibu. My average speed in those roads with beautiful corners is 72mph lol.

No worries. I found a closed road I abuse with no cars or houses. Just pass the closed road sign and everything's fine.

MY average speed with actual cars and houses on the canyon roads is much lower. Like 50mph I think.

I don't daily drive it to everyday locations though. I have a SUV for that. (Yea I know I'm so typical) but suvs are comfortable
Appreciate 2
      12-02-2022, 05:16 PM   #18
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
Because I take mine out in the canyons mostly (track is too far), would you like to see my m laptimer app records in the canyon lol. I've hit 130mph in curvy canyon mountain roads near Malibu. My average speed in those roads with beautiful corners is 72mph lol.

No worries. I found a closed road I abuse with no cars or houses. Just pass the closed road sign and everything's fine.

MY average speed with actual cars and houses on the canyon roads is much lower. Like 50mph I think.

I don't daily drive it to everyday locations though. I have a SUV for that. (Yea I know I'm so typical) but suvs are comfortable
Be interesting to see what a Z4 S30 could run over the same course with the same driver.

Anyone up for swapping cars with DavesZupra4 for a canyon run?

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0