BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Tiger Woods in serious accident in a Genesis GV80

02-24-2021, 11:38 AM   #45
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
looks like the engine was pushed into the drivers compartment causing those leg injuries
Sorry, but the photos do not support your assertion:
      02-24-2021, 12:02 PM   #46
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
he is lucky he didnt get roasted. glad he is doing ok
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
Efthreeoh16946.00
      02-24-2021, 12:12 PM   #47
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDiner View Post
Sorry, but the photos do not support your assertion:
Look at the photo from the top when it was on its side.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 12:12 PM   #48
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

No matter what, have they reported how the hell he ended up this way??
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 12:24 PM   #49
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Very bad look for Genesis. Not only is GV80 brand new, but it is also one of the most important vehicles for Genesis.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 12:31 PM   #50
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Very bad look for Genesis. Not only is GV80 brand new, but it is also one of the most important vehicles for Genesis.
Since you don't know how fast he was traveling or whether he was impaired or not, it seems to be quite the leap to conclude its a bad look for Genesis. It might have actually been worse if he wasn't in a Genesis. We just don't know anything yet.
Appreciate 1
Tacoma944.50
      02-24-2021, 12:33 PM   #51
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
Tiger Woods...Who the F**K cares? Wife cheater, DUI offender and a host of other criminal issues.

So the guy can put a ball in a cup and we are supposed to put a halo on his head?
Ouch! Are you stating that because someone has done something bad that all is unforgivable?

To answer the second question, putting a ball in a cup better than anyone on the planet, for years, is what earns him his halo.

I'm completely against celebrities getting off the hook because of celebrity status, but none of us are angels and all are guilty of some form of fuckery. I actually kinda laugh when I am reminded of some of the terrible shit I've done. Doesn't mean I'm a bad person now. We all learn from our mistakes.

Last edited by King Rudi; 02-24-2021 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 3
MKSixer34171.50
M5Rick58897.50
RickFLM410880.50
      02-24-2021, 12:35 PM   #52
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Since you don't know how fast he was traveling or whether he was impaired or not, it seems to be quite the leap to conclude its a bad look for Genesis. It might have actually been worse if he wasn't in a Genesis. We just don't know anything yet.
What you are saying is correct. However, I don't think it's important. People see a severely injured celebrity like him and the destroyed GV80 - enough for many to stay away from this car.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      02-24-2021, 12:37 PM   #53
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
No matter what, have they reported how the hell he ended up this way??
As I said, he was hauling ass. I was on a call where it was kind of similar to what happened here. It was on a winding road. A slight difference was the car in question was traveling up a hill. It hit a snow bank created from plowing the road the day before after hitting black ice. The car was launched into the air and hit a tree about 50 ft away in the yard of a residential home. The scratch marks on the tree indicated the car was about 6 ft in the air when it hit. Fortunate for the house (never found out if anyone was home), the tree was there. Unfortunate for the passenger in the car, the tree was there. The passenger side of the car collided into along side the tree. The passenger's head was thrown out the now open window area/shattered. The passenger's head was caught onto the trunk of the tree and ripped backward violently and he was subsequently ejected from the vehicle.

When my unit arrived we were waiting for the driver to be extricated from the car. The other medic unit from my station was working the passenger. From what I was told, they were doing chest compressions and his neck kept inflating/deflating with each compression. Later found out that either or both his carotid artery/jugular vein was ripped open. When we arrived at the local trauma center with the driver, the passenger was already being worked by the ER staff. They were sticking a chest tube into the side of him and I saw pure red coming out.

So yeah, with that utility pole there that he missed, he was very very lucky.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 12:45 PM   #54
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Conversely, if he was speeding and just straight up effed up while driving, and lived to tell about it? Best PR ever..."Genesis, the brand that saved Tiger".
Saw a few articles this morning saying that. Lot of reports say he's lucky to be alive in an accident like this. Funny enough, one news report said he crashed a Bentley Bentayga
Attached Images

Last edited by stein_325i; 02-24-2021 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
Burrcold5043.00
      02-24-2021, 01:14 PM   #55
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
As I said, he was hauling ass....
I'm just not buying it that it was simply speeding and losing control of the vehicle like that. I know many have suggested it could be a good promotion for lack of a better word for Genesis and their SUV, but I look at it the other way. Perhaps the handling sucks.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 01:18 PM   #56
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Here is a google street view of the exact location of the accident. His car was going the direction of the photo and crossed the center divider and ended up on the bank on the other side of the street.
That road looks very easy to drive....
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 01:24 PM   #57
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
That road looks very easy to drive....
A friend of mine lives not too far from there and actually got a speeding ticket. It's easy to gain speed on the hill and is also a total speed trap because the cops know it. This same friend was detoured on his way to the office but didn't know it was related to Tiger's crash.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 02:39 PM   #58
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'm just not buying it that it was simply speeding and losing control of the vehicle like that. I know many have suggested it could be a good promotion for lack of a better word for Genesis and their SUV, but I look at it the other way. Perhaps the handling sucks.
A vehicle could be the worst handling vehicle in the world. But no one would ever be in the situation for the worst handling vehicle in the world to experience a total loss of control in ideal conditions without excessive speed. Period. From where they project where he left his side of the road and crossed over oncoming traffic to where the vehicle rested is at least a couple of hundred feet. Some estimate it to be between 400 to 500 feet. No way would a vehicle travel that far if it wasn't flying. Plus the final amount of damage is not indicative of just losing control due to poor handling traveling at the speed limit of that road.
Appreciate 1
Tacoma944.50
      02-24-2021, 02:45 PM   #59
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
A vehicle could be the worst handling vehicle in the world. But no one would ever be in the situation for the worst handling vehicle in the world to experience a total loss of control in ideal conditions without excessive speed. Period. From where they project where he left his side of the road and crossed over oncoming traffic to where the vehicle rested is at least a couple of hundred feet. Some estimate it to be between 400 to 500 feet. No way would a vehicle travel that far if it wasn't flying. Plus the final amount of damage is not indicative of just losing control due to poor handling traveling at the speed limit of that road.
Yeah, I hear ya. I guess I should've explained my thought more clearly. I do think he indeed was driving too fast, but I can't help but wonder if there were some underlying issues as well considering he has a history. After all, he wasn't given a breathalyzer due to the
"severity of his injury". I'm guessing there hasn't been a blood test since that time either, unless it simply hasn't been released to the general public.

The second part where I suggested the vehicle may not be all that was just a stab at providing a different perspective on whether that particular SUV should be given such props for "saving his life". I'm willing to bet there are other vehicles that could have held up just as well. Frankly, he's just one lucky dude all considering.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 02:53 PM   #60
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I hear ya. I guess I should've explained my thought more clearly. I do think he indeed was driving too fast, but I can't help but wonder if there were some underlying issues as well considering he has a history. After all, he wasn't given a breathalyzer due to the
"severity of his injury". I'm guessing there hasn't been a blood test since that time either, unless it simply hasn't been released to the general public.

The second part where I suggested the vehicle may not be all that was just a stab at providing a different perspective on whether that particular SUV should be given such props for "saving his life". I'm willing to bet there are other vehicles that could have held up just as well. Frankly, he's just one lucky dude all considering.
I'm only going by what I see myself and my past experience pulling people out of wrecks. You don't have that type of damage and debris field without going at some crazy speeds relative to the design of the road.

As to whether there were other factors such as possible chemical impairment, I seem to recall the Sheriff's office making a public statement that there was no drug impairment related to this crash. The Sheriff even tap danced around the excessive speed but did indicate that's probably one of if not the cause of what happened.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 03:12 PM   #61
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Sorry, I will never buy that it's the vehicles fault. LOL. He could have been driving an Labo SUV or Any other SUV. The fucking dude was crashing it. Weather it was speed, cell phone, drugs/Alch whatever. No SUV is just going to handle better to Avoid a crash like that. Plus it had all the lane assist/ break assist shit on it. He fucked up! Just be glad he didn't wipe out a family with some kids.
Appreciate 3
stein_325i25051.00
TiMSport12786.50
Tacoma944.50
      02-24-2021, 03:50 PM   #62
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
I'm only going by what I see myself and my past experience pulling people out of wrecks. You don't have that type of damage and debris field without going at some crazy speeds relative to the design of the road.

As to whether there were other factors such as possible chemical impairment, I seem to recall the Sheriff's office making a public statement that there was no drug impairment related to this crash. The Sheriff even tap danced around the excessive speed but did indicate that's probably one of if not the cause of what happened.
No matter what, there is no effin' excuse for him to have been driving at the speeds he likely did on that road. Plain stupid and as many have stated already, it's a good thing he didn't take anyone else out or have passengers in his car.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 04:03 PM   #63
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Ouch! Are you stating that because someone has done something bad that all is unforgivable?
Once maybe. Multiple times? No friggin' way! How about we forgive killer rapists because they look sooooo handsome on their mug shots?

And to think that I was just starting to like you....

Attachment 2536486

Last edited by Lady Jane; 01-06-2022 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 04:07 PM   #64
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
Once maybe. Multiple times? No friggin' way! How about we forgive killer rapists because they look sooooo handsome on their mug shots?

And to think that I was just starting to like you....

Attachment 2536486
Whatever.....you still like me anyway.

Killer rapists? I think there may be stipulations involved in what is acceptable and what is not on terms of forgiveness.

BTW, my eye color is different than the offenders picture you posted.....change the eye color, add some glasses....that's pretty much what I look like scarily enough. Also remove about 2 pounds from the lips.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 04:26 PM   #65
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I think this is a case of Tiger out-drove the capabilities of the GV80. I'm sure he's used to higher level machinery that has higher capability than is designed into the Genesis chassis.

The difference between a good handling car and a great handling car is is how it transitions at the limit and lets you know you are approaching it. Late-model vehicles are dangerous because of the computer assisted handling that Dynamic Stability Control (BMW's name) provides the driver a false sense of security. Great handling cars have the similar software systems yet still have suspension designs that excel at 9/10ths and 10/10ths, less capable designs just lose it as the outer edges of the laws of physics are investigated, either on purpose or by accident. The GV80 probably felt similar at near its limits to the quality hardware Tiger drives, and then he got to the edge and it let go on him rather than tell Tiger he was not in a Lambo et.al he is used to driving and drop the speed while the laws of physics were still at play.
OMG!!! He didn't outdrive DICK!! He fucking crashed. He probably would have crashed a GT3. It was something other than the god damn vehicle. To fast, not paying attention, a Fn Deer jumped out. Come on with the vehicle shit
Appreciate 3
lakefront560.50
TiMSport12786.50
Tacoma944.50
      02-24-2021, 04:28 PM   #66
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I think this is a case of Tiger out-drove the capabilities of the GV80. I'm sure he's used to higher level machinery that has higher capability than is designed into the Genesis chassis.

The difference between a good handling car and a great handling car is is how it transitions at the limit and lets you know you are approaching it. Late-model vehicles are dangerous because of the computer assisted handling that Dynamic Stability Control (BMW's name) provides the driver a false sense of security. Great handling cars have the similar software systems yet still have suspension designs that excel at 9/10ths and 10/10ths, less capable designs just lose it as the outer edges of the laws of physics are investigated, either on purpose or by accident. The GV80 probably felt similar at near its limits to the quality hardware Tiger drives, and then he got to the edge and it let go on him rather than tell Tiger he was not in a Lambo et.al he is used to driving and drop the speed while the laws of physics were still at play.
TL;DR

Ambition outweighed talent.
Appreciate 0