05-18-2019, 07:23 AM   #1
SpaceForRent
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 M240xi  [0.00]
M240x vs Z4M40

Seriously considering moving to the Z4M40 from my M240xi since I have to decide next year which one to go with (last year for the M240 convert). Since my 240 is only a year old, my left brain says don't do it ($$, first year, etc). The right side says "just do it".
Will be doing a test drive when a M40 shows up nearby, but usually the sales droids give you the answers you want to hear,
Sooo...

#1 I love the Xdrive and I'm wondering if there's anyone that's gone
from an Xdrive to the new Z4M LSD? And if so, what can I expect as far as handling goes? I put a lot of trust in the Xdrive when I'm driving a winding road (probably as aggressive as I get). I have this image of me drifting through the curves in a Z4
I gave up on any serious winter driving so that's not really an issue for going to just two wheel drive.

So what will I lose and what will I gain?? Or, as I suspect, not an aggressive enough driver for it to really matter?

#2 The top. Seems the top is actually the cover as well? Probably too early to tell how that's going to hold up over time (for several reasons I have to house it outside). I also notice that when it's down, there are two huge "holes" formed on the sides that look like serious debris catchers. Probably not an issue since it's going to be up most of the time or at least enough to empty any trash. Just wondering..

#3 Frozen Grey.. It's matte-ish? I usually wrap at least the front half of the car with clear wrap. Wonder if that's going to kill off the look of that specific color.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 08:35 PM   #2
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Atacama 35is

My two cents are that the m40i has a ton of grip. I havent had a ton of time to drive it yet, but i have been going out of my way to take corners pretty hard - like really hard and this thing is glued to the road.

It can also be pretty aggressive. Not sure what the euro spec would feel like, but in sport plus this thing has quite the punch. Put differently, it has more than one can responsibly put down onto public roads. Sorta feels like you managed to get a saddle onto a mountain lion. Just my thinking.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 10:51 PM   #3
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by webmeezer View Post
Seriously considering moving to the Z4M40 from my M240xi since I have to decide next year which one to go with (last year for the M240 convert). Since my 240 is only a year old, my left brain says don't do it ($$, first year, etc). The right side says "just do it".
Will be doing a test drive when a M40 shows up nearby, but usually the sales droids give you the answers you want to hear,
Sooo...

from an Xdrive to the new Z4M LSD? And if so, what can I expect as far as handling goes? I put a lot of trust in the Xdrive when I'm driving a winding road (probably as aggressive as I get). I have this image of me drifting through the curves in a Z4
I gave up on any serious winter driving so that's not really an issue for going to just two wheel drive.

So what will I lose and what will I gain?? Or, as I suspect, not an aggressive enough driver for it to really matter?

#2 The top. Seems the top is actually the cover as well? Probably too early to tell how that's going to hold up over time (for several reasons I have to house it outside). I also notice that when it's down, there are two huge "holes" formed on the sides that look like serious debris catchers. Probably not an issue since it's going to be up most of the time or at least enough to empty any trash. Just wondering..

#3 Frozen Grey.. It's matte-ish? I usually wrap at least the front half of the car with clear wrap. Wonder if that's going to kill off the look of that specific color.

Thanks
Only car? Daily driver?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 10:53 PM   #4
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Sooo...

Thanks
Only car? Daily driver?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 06:06 AM   #5
SpaceForRent
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M240xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Only car? Daily driver?
2nd car. Have an SUV for the winter, Lowes trips, etc ..
Being a convert, mostly a sunny day machine.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 06:11 AM   #6
SpaceForRent
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M240xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtGigglebox View Post
My two cents are that the m40i has a ton of grip. I havent had a ton of time to drive it yet, but i have been going out of my way to take corners pretty hard - like really hard and this thing is glued to the road.

It can also be pretty aggressive. Not sure what the euro spec would feel like, but in sport plus this thing has quite the punch. Put differently, it has more than one can responsibly put down onto public roads. Sorta feels like you managed to get a saddle onto a mountain lion. Just my thinking.
Exactly my experience. That's what I would hate to lose..

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 07:18 AM   #7
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
2nd car. Have an SUV for the winter, Lowes trips, etc ..
Being a convert, mostly a sunny day machine.
Get the Z4 M40i. Driving dynamics are slightly different from your M2, which you will notice, but when you step on it on a straight from a standstill and the rear wheels push you forward with all that power, and you are struggling with the wheel a little bit to keep it in its track ... you will laugh out loud from the joy & exhilaration you are going to feel.

Like someone else said - trying to saddle a mountain lion.

Dry pavement will allow you to drive it very aggressively. Wet pavement ... dial back appropriately.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 08:30 AM   #8
SpaceForRent
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M240xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Get the Z4 M40i. Driving dynamics are slightly different from your M2, which you will notice, but when you step on it on a straight from a standstill and the rear wheels push you forward with all that power, and you are struggling with the wheel a little bit to keep it in its track ... you will laugh out loud from the joy & exhilaration you are going to feel.
Maybe when I was 20, but at 70 I just want the car to go where I point it
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 08:34 AM   #9
STR3T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 sDrive30i

If you don’t want all the power associated w the M40i...sounds like you’d be happy in the 30i.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 09:03 AM   #10
SpaceForRent
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M240xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by STR3T View Post
If you don’t want all the power associated w the M40i...sounds like you’d be happy in the 30i.
Don't mind the power, love the M240x and it's power, just concerned about the rear wheel drive after being used to the Xdrive is all.
So what I'm hearing is even with the M type LSD, I'll still get a bit of the rear wheel handling? I don't mind a little, just don't want to become a Youtube video

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 09:44 AM   #11
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

If you're housing you car outside, I'd say any Frozen/Matte color is a no go. They are a pain to clean and require a special process to clean so you don't harm the color. If you park outside. The rain and bird sh*t will ruin that paint.
      05-19-2019, 09:51 AM   #12
SpaceForRent
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M240xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
If you're housing you car outside, I'd say any Frozen/Matte color is a no go. They are a pain to clean and require a special process to clean so you don't harm the color. If you park outside. The rain and bird sh*t will ruin that paint.
Good to know. Unfortunately the garage is not available for another couple of years.
Wonder if a clear matte wrap would still capture the color? I suspect not.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 01:24 PM   #13
nullspace
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 m40i

Quote:
I don't mind a little, just don't want to become a Youtube video
You’d have to intentionally disable the traction control and a portion of your brain to do that.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 01:41 PM   #14
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullspace View Post
Quote:
I don't mind a little, just don't want to become a Youtube video
You’d have to intentionally disable the traction control and a portion of your brain to do that.
      05-19-2019, 04:36 PM   #15
SpaceForRent
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M240xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullspace View Post
That's the info I was looking for (traction control).. The jury is still out on the brain part..

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 08:20 PM   #16
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
How agile are you? Getting in and out of the Z4 may be more difficult for you than the the M2. (No offense, just trying to be helpful.)
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 10:10 PM   #17
STR3T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 sDrive30i

Hah it’s true...I’m 53...had a Z4 a few years back now. I’ve almost forgotten how it aggravated my back at times...staring at this new beast and test driven 2x 30i’s and the M40 once, kind of blanked out me recall of that.

These are truly spectacular...the sales guy, after back to back 30i and M40 test drives, said he knew which one I wanted. Said the grins never left my face during the M40 run...and I knew he was right. Said he should’ve recorded it tho as proof! Really just wanted to see how goofy I really am...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 05:27 AM   #18
SpaceForRent
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M240xi  [0.00]
Quote:
How agile are you? Getting in and out of the Z4 may be more difficult for you than the the M2. (No offense, just trying to be helpful.)
Actually I find the Z4 much easier to get in and out of than the M240.
No offense taken. Pretty agile.. Hit the gym every day for an hour or so.. Doing pretty good physically all things considered.. Memory on the other hand ...

And just for the record, this would be my first RWD since having a 280Z way back when.. Everything's been either a FWD, AWD or 4WD, so was just wondering what the current state of RWD is.
I did forgot (see above) the PCD trip to pick up the M240 where I got to drive an M2, so I DO remember the traction control and drifting part on the course they have there. So probably not as much an issue as I thought. And yes, it was a little bit fun.. Liked the track work a whole lot more though...

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 05:28 AM   #19
SpaceForRent
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M240xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by STR3T View Post
Hah it’s true...I’m 53...had a Z4 a few years back now. I’ve almost forgotten how it aggravated my back at times...staring at this new beast and test driven 2x 30i’s and the M40 once, kind of blanked out me recall of that.

These are truly spectacular...the sales guy, after back to back 30i and M40 test drives, said he knew which one I wanted. Said the grins never left my face during the M40 run...and I knew he was right. Said he should’ve recorded it tho as proof! Really just wanted to see how goofy I really am...
I suspect the same response. Did the price go up? Never grin at a salesman

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 12:15 PM   #20
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Actually I find the Z4 much easier to get in and out of than the M240.
No offense taken. Pretty agile.. Hit the gym every day for an hour or so.. Doing pretty good physically all things considered.. Memory on the other hand ...

And just for the record, this would be my first RWD since having a 280Z way back when.. Everything's been either a FWD, AWD or 4WD, so was just wondering what the current state of RWD is.
I did forgot (see above) the PCD trip to pick up the M240 where I got to drive an M2, so I DO remember the traction control and drifting part on the course they have there. So probably not as much an issue as I thought. And yes, it was a little bit fun.. Liked the track work a whole lot more though...

Thanks
Honestly, I think you would enjoy the Z4 more. I am obviously a tiny little bit biased ... but given that you have a winter / bad weather practical car and enjoy aggressive driving, I would lean towards Z4.

Like I and others have said: driving dynamics is going to be a bit different with a AWD versus electronics and differential, but as long as you are not hell bent to challenge the laws of physics, you will be just fine on the road.

If you post the same question in the M2 forum, you will probably get the opposite answer
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 02:32 PM   #21
J400uk
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 840i Convertible

I had a 2018 M240i convertible back to back with my 2019 Z4 M40i

Although the same engine they are very different cars to drive. The M240i felt a lot more aggressive and firmer compared to the Z4. It wasn't so good at cruising but more fun to drive quickly as you feel more involved

In comparison my Z4 is super cosseted and chilled out in all situations, even if you try and turn things up in Sport+ mode. It is much more at home just as a baby grand tourer soaking up the miles on a highway.

I think the performance is pretty much the same. Z4 slightly quicker on paper but the M240i perhaps feels faster as it's more raw feeling.

The Z4 does however sound nicer, the B58 seems a more natural fit and the exhaust is more vocal. Also it is more economical, my overall average is 28 mpg and I've seen as high as 38 mpg (UK). The M240i seemed to struggle to get above mid 20s during the same driving conditions.

Where the Z4 really moves the game on is the interior tech. The iDrive 7 system is a huge step up from the iDrive 6 in the M240i. It is packed full of extra features and feels bang up to date. The digital instrument cluster is also very cool and again makes it feel significantly more modern.

I also appreciate the extra driver aids such as the Auto hold function on the electric handbrake, and lane assist/ adaptive cruise on my Z4.

Overall I'm happy with my choice but I sometimes miss the extra sportiness/ fun factor the M240i offered.
Appreciate 4
CeEl477.50
Miata1385.50
      05-20-2019, 02:55 PM   #22
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by J400uk View Post
I had a 2018 M240i convertible back to back with my 2019 Z4 M40i

Although the same engine they are very different cars to drive. The M240i felt a lot more aggressive and firmer compared to the Z4. It wasn't so good at cruising but more fun to drive quickly as you feel more involved

In comparison my Z4 is super cosseted and chilled out in all situations, even if you try and turn things up in Sport+ mode. It is much more at home just as a baby grand tourer soaking up the miles on a highway.

I think the performance is pretty much the same. Z4 slightly quicker on paper but the M240i perhaps feels faster as it's more raw feeling.

The Z4 does however sound nicer, the B58 seems a more natural fit and the exhaust is more vocal. Also it is more economical, my overall average is 28 mpg and I've seen as high as 38 mpg (UK). The M240i seemed to struggle to get above mid 20s during the same driving conditions.

Where the Z4 really moves the game on is the interior tech. The iDrive 7 system is a huge step up from the iDrive 6 in the M240i. It is packed full of extra features and feels bang up to date. The digital instrument cluster is also very cool and again makes it feel significantly more modern.

I also appreciate the extra driver aids such as the Auto hold function on the electric handbrake, and lane assist/ adaptive cruise on my Z4.

Overall I'm happy with my choice but I sometimes miss the extra sportiness/ fun factor the M240i offered.
This is an interesting take. I'd have guessed for sure the Z4 would be more "sporty" and possibly "nervous" and the M240 would feel more like a proper GT car. I don't need to replace my wonderful M235i Convertible any time soon, so I'll have time to think about it. Right now I'm between the Z4 and M440 or M4 Convertible, suspecting the 2 Series won't be available as a convertible with the next generation.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0