BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Z4 s30i mSport - 2000 Miles later

10-14-2019, 12:28 PM   #1
Barnesy
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35d M Sport

Z4 s30i mSport - 2000 Miles later

Firstly, let me put some context here. I am a slightly overweight guy in the UK who is approaching 60, who is the best part of 6ft 4in tall. Size matters

This isn't really a review, just a collection of thoughts.

Having moved out of corporate life I was looking for something a bit more fun that my F25 X3 35d (which was a great car). I fancied a Boxster but I didn't quite fit, and was put off by the overall cost to purchase when specced up.

I was in the BMW garage in Exeter and I saw a Z4 s20i. I hadn't seen one on the road before and it was love at first sight.

Number one priority. I fitted in it! The seat was comfortable and I felt immediately at home.

After a few chats with the sales guy, and some research, I decided on the 30i. Yes, I was tempted by the M40i, but various people told me it was a bit tail-happy. If I was 30-years younger perhaps that would have suited me. Not now.

On paper the 30i seemed the best combination of performance, price and mpg (I am retired)

At my local dealer I saw a 30i that was a pre-reg. Just 75 miles on it. After a quick test drive I was hooked. It was in white, which I really like, and had the comfort plus and tech packs.

After some negotiation I picked it up 5 days later.
  • I've now done approaching 2,000 miles and I love it.
  • The power delivery and torque means it can be a relaxed cruiser and a fairly quick machine on country roads. I have never felt that I NEEDED more power.
  • I've done a couple of 600 mile round trips. Very comfortable, no aches and pains and 47 mpg (UK) on each trip.
  • The Harman Kardon system seems a bit weak, definitely not as good as in my X3
  • Voice activation seems to struggle a lot, even with the top up.
  • The boot (trunk) is very useable. In the past I had a Mercedes SLK350, and with the top down there was no space.
  • I love the way the top comes up/down very quickly - easy to deal with showers, and no stowage partition to worry about.
  • It goes round corners on rails
  • The heated steering wheel is an essential luxury now that the days are getting colder
  • I'm an Android user so I won't be paying the Apple Car Play subscription.
  • Allegedly it is possibly to mirror my Android screen to the display - I can't get it to work.
  • The cross-sectional profile of the steering wheel is oval. On a long journey this seems to dig into my hands a little
  • I've tried the various auto settings. I find sport-plus mildly irritating with the popping and blips on down-shift (see opening paragraph)
  • Eco-pro is a lot better than on my X3 where I felt it was dangerous with such a slow throttle response.

There's not much more I can think of to add. So here's a picture.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
Jason40323.50
CeEl477.50
Riky140.50
-cj-197.00
stein_325i25051.00
      10-17-2019, 10:27 PM   #2
sanfordrich
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Z3

I have a M40i and love it but I appreciate your feedback of the S30i. It was a tough decision between the two so it's good to hear about your positive experience. Your car looks great too. Thanks for the information in your post.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 03:36 AM   #3
spbbonzo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

My Harmon Kardon, as reported by others, seems to vary between having no presence and poor volume to decent volume with no noticeable pattern - esp using DAB.

I can start the car and instantly get weak sound which results in me having to 'pump up the volume'. On other startups the sound and presence is fine. On a couple of occasions I've been able to 'fix' the volume problem by making a phone call. On completing the call the volume magically increases.

I use the comfort access and noticed that this stopped working a couple of nights ago. The car didn't lock when walking away and didn't open the following morning. It turned out that the boot was open but i received no message or warning to indicate this.

I too am 6ft 4in and have found the car really comfortable on long journeys. No slipped discs yet!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 12:40 PM   #4
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Is your system set to auto adjust volume depending on speed? Have you tried turning it off (or on)?

I notice significant volume differences between the different audio sources. My favorite list is made up from multiple sources and switching between them makes this very noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 04:25 AM   #5
spbbonzo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Can you turn the auto volume off or do I need to slide the bar to the far left?

Anyway, I've slid the bar to the far left and still experience the volume issues.

Note that the issue arises when turning on the ignition (it's either loud or quiet) and never once I've got going.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 11:09 AM   #6
Barnesy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbonzo View Post
My Harmon Kardon, as reported by others, seems to vary between having no presence and poor volume to decent volume with no noticeable pattern - esp using DAB.

I can start the car and instantly get weak sound which results in me having to 'pump up the volume'. On other startups the sound and presence is fine. On a couple of occasions I've been able to 'fix' the volume problem by making a phone call. On completing the call the volume magically increases.

I use the comfort access and noticed that this stopped working a couple of nights ago. The car didn't lock when walking away and didn't open the following morning. It turned out that the boot was open but i received no message or warning to indicate this.

I too am 6ft 4in and have found the car really comfortable on long journeys. No slipped discs yet!
The comfort access does seem to be a bit unpredictable. Mostly it works but sometimes it doesn't open as I approach the car, but grabbing the door handle does the trick. I can't seem to find any pattern.

(Sold)X3 35d M Sport 2016
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2019, 11:11 AM   #7
Barnesy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Is your system set to auto adjust volume depending on speed? Have you tried turning it off (or on)?

I notice significant volume differences between the different audio sources. My favorite list is made up from multiple sources and switching between them makes this very noticeable.
I will give it a go. I should also spend time adjusting the equaliser. I find that either I don't get any bass, or I get way too much.

(Sold)X3 35d M Sport 2016
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 08:29 PM   #8
Chabu
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: z4 s30i

Curious if you've been able to make appropriate adjustments to make the HK go from regrettable to decent .
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 05:54 AM   #9
Bigmouth Studio
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbonzo View Post

Yes, there is no warning when the boot was opened. I toke my car from the dealer with the boot unlocked unnoticed. So dangerous!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 05:56 AM   #10
Barnesy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chabu View Post
Curious if you've been able to make appropriate adjustments to make the HK go from regrettable to decent .
Sorry but nothing new to report.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 08:27 AM   #11
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Great write up thanks.

My favourite car BMW make. Very envois I can't cram a 2 seater into my lifestyle yet. Kids are 2 years from Uni. Watch out world!

My engine of choice would be this or the 2.0 but hopefully this as it's now basically impossible to keep it below £40k tax limit.

I'm stepping down from higher BMs to my incoming (next week!) M135i and still hope I can justify a second car in the UK in a 3.0/2.0i MSport with plus Pack.

Anyway, I'm rambling, coming into peak season for you open toppers enjoy!!! (Responsibly with a face mask? )