BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board It really is location, location, location

10-14-2019, 04:27 PM   #177
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
I agree about the cool towns but bad locations, lol.

I love some of the towns in CT on the coast. Same goes for some NC mountain towns. But I refuse to live in those states - it just doesn't make sense financially. I've been buying up property for rental income and after a long hard search, ended up purchasing foreign holdings instead of places here in the USA - for the simple fact that I couldn't find anything that gave a good ROI due to excessive taxation and regulations here in this country.

Oh well, it is what it is.

FWIW - my tax bill on my home in the city was about $800 or so last year. It's a new construction (well, it was in 2015 when I built it) 1600sf home in a planned community. Assessed value was around $225k.

I think the PPT on the farm ran about $1,700 last year, which is about what my house here on 5 acres (assessed about the same as yours) was as well. Farm has a kind of hunting cabin on it with elec and water, but appraises at like $50K of the value of the farm.

By comparison - she paid over $4K in taxes last year. For a house that I would guess to be a $150K-$160K class house? Mostly because it is in a good neighborhood with good schools and has nice upgrades inside. The things she pays to live there are insane.

She can't wait to get out. They will never be able to outvote CHI and everyone fleeing are leaving non-CHI areas, so it only makes it worse faster.

I have a buddy that moved to CT for a good job. It petered out after a few years and he landed another job there, but he wished he had not. He says many of the same things - terrible taxes and terrible policies. He said they are not talking about how to tax people that USED to live there or some such nonsense. LOL
      10-14-2019, 04:38 PM   #178
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Financially, I would see no issue with this, so long as you are cognizant of three things:

1) You buy a condo, don't rent it.

2) You are aware of condo association fees, HOA fees, and any maintenance fees, and incorporate that into your calculations to ensure they are not eroding all of your equity.

3) You can commit to living there a minimum of 5 years. Any less and it won't be a smart move financially, due to buying and selling agent fees, closing costs, and so forth.
Check, check and check. For what I paid for my place and what I'm told that it's worth now, I would make out like a bandit. I paid $118 for it 5 years ago. A close friend of mine who is in real estate keeps telling me to sell it. She swears that I could get $160 easy. It's small, nothing extravagant but nice, newly remodeled with a two car garage and nice view from the back "tree house" style deck off the kitchen. I love my house, but bought it for me and my boys, who no longer live with me. The game plan was to hang on to it for a few years, sell it, get my money back out of it (I paid cash) and then use that money to make money. Life happened and the plan changed. Either way, I have a nice ass house and no mortgage payment at the moment.
Appreciate 2
      10-14-2019, 04:45 PM   #179
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Check, check and check. For what I paid for my place and what I'm told that it's worth now, I would make out like a bandit. I paid $118 for it 5 years ago. A close friend of mine who is in real estate keeps telling me to sell it. She swears that I could get $160 easy. It's small, nothing extravagant but nice, newly remodeled with a two car garage and nice view from the back "tree house" style deck off the kitchen. I love my house, but bought it for me and my boys, who no longer live with me. The game plan was to hang on to it for a few years, sell it, get my money back out of it (I paid cash) and then use that money to make money. Life happened and the plan changed. Either way, I have a nice ass house and no mortgage payment at the moment.
I bitch about the yard work too - but I know I would miss it. Takes me about 2 hours to mow (even with a 60" zero turn) and weedeat, but nothing makes me happier than driving out the next morning to that well trimmed lawn. I spent about 75% of my day yesterday mowing, weedeating, winterizing things, pulling a plugged gas tank off my tractor, cutting out summer landscape, etc - you are right it can be a LOT.

But I know I would miss that sweat work - it just somehow fulfills me. For now anyway. I was not meant to be in an office all day.
King Rudi13152.00
      10-14-2019, 04:50 PM   #180
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
I bitch about the yard work too - but I know I would miss it. Takes me about 2 hours to mow (even with a 60" zero turn) and weedeat, but nothing makes me happier than driving out the next morning to that well trimmed lawn. I spent about 75% of my day yesterday mowing, weedeating, winterizing things, pulling a plugged gas tank off my tractor, cutting out summer landscape, etc - you are right it can be a LOT.

But I know I would miss that sweat work - it just somehow fulfills me. For now anyway. I was not meant to be in an office all day.
I always mowed my city home, which is a 1/4 acre, with an electric mower, and enjoyed it.

The new home in the mountains is on 7 acres. So, now, the plan is possible buy some goats. I'm not sure yet. I have some valuable crops on property and can't risk them eating them too, so still doing some research. At this time, I've got someone from down the hill just using his tractor and I am throwing him a couple hundred a month. Not sure what a more permanent solution is. Winter is nearly here, so it's a problem I can deal with in April.
      10-14-2019, 08:41 PM   #181
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Quote:

I always mowed my city home, which is a 1/4 acre, with an electric mower, and enjoyed it.

The new home in the mountains is on 7 acres. So, now, the plan is possible buy some goats. I'm not sure yet. I have some valuable crops on property and can't risk them eating them too, so still doing some research. At this time, I've got someone from down the hill just using his tractor and I am throwing him a couple hundred a month. Not sure what a more permanent solution is. Winter is nearly here, so it's a problem I can deal with in April.
Chuy will work for cheap
      10-15-2019, 02:06 AM   #182
corn18
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
2014 Jeep Wrangler 2D  [0.00]
2015 Chevy 2500HD  [0.00]
2015 Z4  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
We’re on holiday in Cape Town and Stelenbach area and this place is very affordable, especially if you have dollars. We could retire here now if we weren’t so far from our kids in the states.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      10-15-2019, 07:03 AM   #183
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
That's b/c wages are much area in areas like that so it evens out
I know other IT guys in SoCal - hell, my company is headquartered in Orange County. They don't make enough more to offset the cost-of-living increase in total. Not even close.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
      10-15-2019, 07:15 AM   #184
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:

I'm the same way. There are some days I enjoy doing the yard work and then there are days that I have other things I need to be doing, but stuck working in the yard. The next morning, while leaving for work and then returning home, I do enjoy the look of my yard that looks like it's been sculpted by lasers.

I'm starting to feel the same way about my office job. When I was younger, doing manual labor, I always wanted to be the guy dressed nice and sitting in the office. Now I want to be the guy up moving around and working with my hands. We're never satisfied.
Appreciate 3
M_Six16535.00
unluky7465.00
      10-15-2019, 07:34 AM   #185
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
We’re on holiday in Cape Town and Stelenbach area and this place is very affordable, especially if you have dollars. We could retire here now if we weren’t so far from our kids in the states.

I've been there a couple of times in the past year, and thought exactly the same thing! Beautiful location, great people, very affordable, but so so far from the family.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      10-15-2019, 07:37 AM   #186
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
We're never satisfied.
This entire thread wrapped up in one short sentence.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
      10-15-2019, 07:40 AM   #187
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Enjoy! Make sure you check out Franschhoek as well, just outside of Stellenbosch. Particularly Takara winery - one of my favorites.

I own several flats in South Africa that I rent out and am there regularly.

Enjoy the country!
      10-15-2019, 07:41 AM   #188
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Chuy will work for cheap
He will also likely steal my ginseng. That'll be a no for me, dog.
      10-15-2019, 07:45 AM   #189
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Doesn't show ANY space suitable for cooking under a lunar lighting source
Quote:
So confused. lol.
I find myself tilting my head like a confused little puppy after reading some of his posts. So glad I'm not the only one. Waiting for the blonde comment....
      10-15-2019, 07:51 AM   #190
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I find myself tilting my head like a confused little puppy after reading some of his posts. So glad I'm not the only one. Waiting for the blonde comment....
Well, he's from Oxnard, so.....

10-15-2019, 08:04 AM   #191
corn18
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
2014 Jeep Wrangler 2D  [0.00]
2015 Chevy 2500HD  [0.00]
2015 Z4  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Enjoy! Make sure you check out Franschhoek as well, just outside of Stellenbosch. Particularly Takara winery - one of my favorites.

I own several flats in South Africa that I rent out and am there regularly.

Enjoy the country!
We did make it into Franschhoek and ate at some hoity toity place called petite colombe. Weird food. We stayed at the delaire Graff and it was quite nice.

This is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 08:53 AM   #192
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Is this like the KSA thing?

Moonshine. Now the feds will be all over Run Silent since the blonde can't figure out code.

Oh, and Chuy didn't load on the app last night, so here he is. Ginseng COULD be a problem.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      10-15-2019, 09:06 AM   #193
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
We did make it into Franschhoek and ate at some hoity toity place called petite colombe. Weird food. We stayed at the delaire Graff and it was quite nice.

This is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.

Very nice - yes, a bit upper class, eh?

If back - be sure to check out 'Rickety Bridge' as a lovely place to stay. One of our favorites. They have unlimited free sherry, so that may be why I love it so.

There is also one of the most amazing car collections in Franschhoek I've ever seen at a winery - if you've not gone, you must! The collection is nothing short of breathtaking.

https://www.fmm.co.za/

10-15-2019, 09:07 AM   #194
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:

Moonshine. Now the feds will be all over Run Silent since the blonde can't figure out code.

Oh, and Chuy didn't load on the app last night, so here he is. Ginseng COULD be a problem.

And I'm not blonde.
      10-15-2019, 09:17 AM   #195
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:

nice goat
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      10-15-2019, 09:25 AM   #196
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
nice goat
It's an ok goat, but hardly the Greatest of all Time.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 3
upstatedoc7555.50
Run Silent15127.00
King Rudi13152.00
      10-15-2019, 09:34 AM   #197
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
It's an ok goat, but hardly the Greatest of all Time.
He MIGHT be the Greatest of all THYME though. Look at that TH-SMILE!!!!!
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
vreihen1614883.50
      10-15-2019, 10:15 AM   #198
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

"Valuable Crops" ... i knew he was a sketchy bastard. Now we know.
Appreciate 3
Run Silent15127.00
Dang3r12503.00