BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Early Oil Change Question

08-01-2021, 04:07 PM   #1
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
Early Oil Change Question

I'm getting my all-season tires mounted in a couple of weeks and I figure while the car's in the shop I should just go ahead and get the $99 oil / filter change. I've only got 2,800 miles on the car but will be taking a 6,500+ mile road trip this fall and I don't want to worry about the condition based oil change notice popping up while I'm away from home.

I would like them to reset the CBS computer so it starts over from the fresh oil change. Is that something the dealer should do or will they stick to the original 10,000 mile timing? I know there is a oil service counter that along with total mileage allows for air and cabin filter replacement under the maintenance plan but the reset really shouldn't affect those items (I'll just get them changed out at 22,800 instead of 20,000).

I guess if the dealer won't reset the CBS computer I'll forego the oil change or maybe not. Tough one.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 04:13 PM   #2
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
If you change the oil before the computer lists, BMW will not reimburse you on the free maintenance program. The place that changes the oil will reset the computer.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 10:10 AM   #3
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Keep in mind it's 10k miles or one year. So go ahead with oil change, pay for it yourself, and then at the one year anniversary take advantage of the free one.

Sounds like you will be putting close enough to 10k miles on it between oil changes to make it worthwhile (rather than just wasteful).
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 04:48 PM   #4
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Keep in mind it's 10k miles or one year. So go ahead with oil change, pay for it yourself, and then at the one year anniversary take advantage of the free one.

Sounds like you will be putting close enough to 10k miles on it between oil changes to make it worthwhile (rather than just wasteful).
My goal is to avoid having the car tell me it needs an oil change when I find myself on the interstate heading for a hotel for the night hundreds of miles away. I'm pretty sure the kind of driving I'm planning (Sport / Sport+; mountain; high-speed) will kick the Condition Based Service monitor into overdrive. If I get the oil changed now and the CBS is reset then I should get a fresh 10,000 miles.

I haven't been able to find information detailing how many miles I can continue to drive after the car tells me I need an oil service. I have seen where leased cars (mine is leased) get dinged at lease-end if they have a maintenance service issue. If the car "misses" maintenance it can't be CPO'ed and that hurts the value at lease-end.

If I can't get the dealer to reset the CBS on my early oil change, I'll skip it. I've identified BMW dealerships along my route and hopefully could pull in for a "quick" 10,000 mile service but it would be a PIA!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 09:25 PM   #5
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geradeaus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post

My goal is to avoid having the car tell me it needs an oil change when I find myself on the interstate heading for a hotel for the night hundreds of miles away. I'm pretty sure the kind of driving I'm planning (Sport / Sport+; mountain; high-speed) will kick the Condition Based Service monitor into overdrive. If I get the oil changed now and the CBS is reset then I should get a fresh 10,000 miles.

I haven't been able to find information detailing how many miles I can continue to drive after the car tells me I need an oil service. I have seen where leased cars (mine is leased) get dinged at lease-end if they have a maintenance service issue. If the car "misses" maintenance it can't be CPO'ed and that hurts the value at lease-end.

If I can't get the dealer to reset the CBS on my early oil change, I'll skip it. I've identified BMW dealerships along my route and hopefully could pull in for a "quick" 10,000 mile service but it would be a PIA!
Dealer will reset and correct, you get 10k (or one year from the oil change) before the car will yell at you.
Appreciate 1
Geradeaus378.00
      08-11-2021, 07:49 AM   #6
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geradeaus View Post

I recall doing an off cycle oil change and the computer reset automatically when I asked it to measure oil level after change. Either way, if you get it done early; it won't hurt and you may get an additional 1000 miles prior to BMW change. Good luck.
Appreciate 1
Geradeaus378.00
      08-11-2021, 09:32 AM   #7
Amadeo
Skipper
Spain
Rep
Drives: Bmw g29 z4 sdrive 30i

Garage List
Off cycle oil change done after 7000 miles/ 1 year. 30i here is supposed to get oil changed after two years.
The computer didn't reset itself
First oil change computer service announcement due in 6 months
Just changed it because if there is to be metal particles from a breaking in new engine, thats on the first few thousand miles.
Just in case.
      03-06-2022, 04:47 PM   #8
vanlieremead
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 (991.2) & Boxster (987.1)

Garage List
2020 40i  [0.00]
Forgive reopening this thread. How is the computer reset? I read the below for the G20. How does the G29 work? Do I need a scanner?

—————————

G20 BMW Oil Change Reset Instructions:

1. Turn off Engine

2. Press Start/Stop Engine button (Ignition button) 3 times very quickly

3. On your dash, after 10 seconds or so, it will say you are in Diagnostic Mode

4. Hold trip reset button (The button on the side of turn signal lever) and wait 20 seconds or so until the oil reset option comes up

5. If you press the button without holding it, you will be able to cycle through all the options, like brake fluid reset and other resets. The first option is the oil change reset option. It will either say “Reset Possible” or “Reset Impossible”. When you cycle to this menu, hold trip reset button for 10 seconds or so and it will say “Reset?”, press and hold trip reset button again after seeing that it says “Reset?” to reset.

6. Switch off car by pressing Start/Stop Engine button to exit diagnostic mode.

7. Your oil change has been reset.

If you want to check whether you have reset it (Without relying on CEL disappearing from dash), just go back to diagnostic menu by following above instructions and once you reach the oil change reset menu, it should say “Reset Impossible”

Last edited by vanlieremead; 03-06-2022 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2022, 10:56 AM   #9
vanlieremead
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 (991.2) & Boxster (987.1)

Garage List
2020 40i  [0.00]
The car came home, I just tested this and it works!
Appreciate 0