BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing Robot vacuum anyone?

01-26-2020, 09:29 PM   #1
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Robot vacuum anyone?

If you have been shopping for a robot vacuum, you might have guessed, there are 3 types of robot vacuums.
1. random navigation (dumb bots & including some iRobots)
2. Camera (iRobot & others)
3. Lidar (invisible laser, Neato etc.)

I had a chance to test out all three and ended up with the 3rd choice.

My first one was a Deebot N79SE. It did a decent job cleaning but it was so stupid, it couldn't even find its way back to the charging station. It navigates by bumping into things (sometimes very hard) and kept getting stuck in the same place over and over. This machine would only work if you have a completely clutter free house.

Next I tested the camera bot Samsung R7040. There's the obvious security issue of having a robot looking up at crotch level. It was smarter but doesn't work when the room isn't well lit. The odd D shape (similar to the Neato) made it clean corners a bit better than most. But it was also too thick and kept getting stuck under chairs and couches. After it was done cleaning, it created a map of where it had been but you couldn't do anything with this information.

Finally, I tested the LIDAR bot Deebot N901 and loved it. It was super quiet, you can set it to vacuum in the dark. It shows you in real time while it's running. Plus it will create a map of your home that you can choose to draw virtual barrier for it not to cross. Best of all, it doesn't have a camera. It even vacuum in a straight line. My cat loves it. She's always trying to pounce the thing.

Obviously there are vacuum bots that have built in trash bin but I don't find that it's a chore to empty the dust bin every 3-5 days.

If you were thinking that robot vacuum is gimicky, now is the time to look at one. They've come a long way from 2010.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 08:25 AM   #2
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

I hear the Shark Robovac is popular......

Appreciate 1
GenXer1349.00
      01-27-2020, 08:31 AM   #3
corn18
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
2014 Jeep Wrangler 2D  [0.00]
2015 Chevy 2500HD  [0.00]
2015 Z4  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Our Roomba i7+ does all that and it is fantastic. Love the auto empty feature. That thing runs for a month with no intervention. The non-mapping robots are only good for smaller houses. We had one and it just wandered aimlessly until the battery died. Useless in a big house.
Appreciate 1
GenXer1349.00
      01-28-2020, 09:35 PM   #4
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

I have a roomba 960. It’s a few years old but it’s a great machine. Need to buy a new battery for it though. Doesn’t hold a charge like it used to. But picks up a good act of crap. We have two dogs so we run her daily. Keeps our main floor fur free for the most part
Appreciate 1
GenXer1349.00
      01-28-2020, 11:06 PM   #5
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC F97 View Post
I have a roomba 960. It’s a few years old but it’s a great machine. Need to buy a new battery for it though. Doesn’t hold a charge like it used to. But picks up a good act of crap. We have two dogs so we run her daily. Keeps our main floor fur free for the most part
Isn't it amazing how much crap a robot vacuum picks up especially in placed you don't usually vacuum!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 02:02 PM   #6
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
Isn't it amazing how much crap a robot vacuum picks up especially in placed you don't usually vacuum!
all fun and games until one of your dogs has a stomach ache and craps in the kitchen while roomba is running.

i came downstairs at 11pm to a treasure trove of WTFFFFFFF.

fortunatley it was contained to a small part of the kitchen... cleaned the floors for about 30 minutes.. scanning for crap... cleaning crap...

then it took me abt 3.5 hours to thoroughly clean the roomba itself. fortunatley i had a box of replacement parts (rollers.. filters.. brushes.. etc) so i was able to toss most of the parts. it was cleaning and disinfecting the innards that was a pain in my ass. i was tempted to just throw out the vacumn.. but i spent almost 600 bucks on it.. couldn't give up that easily...

i've never used so many clorox wipes, toothpicks.. qtips... tissues, napkins... in my entire life up until that point
Appreciate 2
      01-31-2020, 02:27 PM   #7
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC F97 View Post
all fun and games until one of your dogs has a stomach ache and craps in the kitchen while roomba is running.

i came downstairs at 11pm to a treasure trove of WTFFFFFFF.

fortunatley it was contained to a small part of the kitchen... cleaned the floors for about 30 minutes.. scanning for crap... cleaning crap...

then it took me abt 3.5 hours to thoroughly clean the roomba itself. fortunatley i had a box of replacement parts (rollers.. filters.. brushes.. etc) so i was able to toss most of the parts. it was cleaning and disinfecting the innards that was a pain in my ass. i was tempted to just throw out the vacumn.. but i spent almost 600 bucks on it.. couldn't give up that easily...

i've never used so many clorox wipes, toothpicks.. qtips... tissues, napkins... in my entire life up until that point
So I thought somebody has to have a video and sure enough theres a bunch....

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 02:39 PM   #8
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
So I thought somebody has to have a video and sure enough theres a bunch....

so happy that i do not have any carpet in my house.... was just browsing around youtube and was having nightmarish flashbacks.

thats the risk one takes when having pets and a robot vacumn. any housebroken dog can have a bad day and leave a pile indoors....just be mindful before firing up the vac.. lol
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 09:04 PM   #9
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I never set my robot vacuum to a schedule just for that reason. I make sure there are no nasties on the floor before I let the robot loose.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 02:06 AM   #10
maka2545
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

https://xn--12clam1a5anocac0ih9a9hd9ed4cme4vsg8a.com/

ฐานรองที่นอน เตียงนอน เตียงลิ้นชัก
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 11:12 PM   #11
GenXer
Major