BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing Are you completely on board with USB-C yet?

03-28-2020, 11:08 AM   #1
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Are you completely on board with USB-C yet?

I still have plenty of devices that are regular USB plus various SD cards. So what's up with all the new laptops that are abandoning the old USB configuration?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 12:23 PM   #2
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

A couple of reasons. With ever increasing push to go thinner/smaller, regular USB ports just take up too much real estate. Also, USB-C allows the device to be powered/charged with an external power supply. This is not possible with previous USB port standards.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 12:47 PM   #3
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
A couple of reasons. With ever increasing push to go thinner/smaller, regular USB ports just take up too much real estate. Also, USB-C allows the device to be powered/charged with an external power supply. This is not possible with previous USB port standards.
I still prefer my Magsafe charger. It saved my laptop several times from getting yanked off the couch or coffee table.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 08:43 PM   #4
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
I still prefer my Magsafe charger. It saved my laptop several times from getting yanked off the couch or coffee table.
There are (or more precisely will be again once COVID-geddon is over) USB-C magnetic connectors that do the same thing. I strongly suggest a straight cable versus right angle, because the right angle connectors act as levers and pull the connection apart with just a slight tug/bump on the cable.....
      04-10-2020, 04:33 PM   #5
jimbobiggens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Garage List
One of the most aggravating things about the older usb is the fact that, no matter how you pick it up, it's always upside down and you have to turn it over to connect. Always.

Oh, yeah, not to mention USB-C can simultaneously handle gigabit internet, charge a laptop, output video to two monitors, listen to a microphone and output to speakers; all from one connection that doesn't care which side is up.

https://www.newegg.com/black-startec...82E16834977741
      04-11-2020, 09:33 AM   #6
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
But you still have to get a dongle to adapt it to all the current USB 3 devices or change all your stuff to USB-C. Most new laptops are also leaving out SD card slot which are great for flush mounted SD cards.
Additionally you have to get a new magnetic USB-C adapter for your power supply if you want a magsafe cord.

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Adap...tronics&sr=1-5

https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Jet.../dp/B00K73NT0S

Eventually everything will go to USB-C but for now it's just not practical. I don't need any more accessories.

Last edited by GenXer; 04-11-2020 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 10:02 AM   #7
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

It's a process. At least, it's a logical progression and for the better. Not only do you get more features with USB C but you get better durability in the connector. You can't say the same with Apple's Lightning connector. There's always some inconvenience when a new standard is introduced. I remember people saying the same thing when they had to migrate from USB A to the micro USB connector.

So glad the micro USB connector is disappearing because I have a box full of broken/failed micro USB cables.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 10:08 AM   #8
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I would prefer a USB induction port or some type of an advance Bluetooth tethering instead of another generation of plugs.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 03:18 PM   #9
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

I love how Apple made most of their devices use USB-C, except for the latest iPhone.

Great way to ensure their customers buy different types of cables instead of just using one for everything.
      04-27-2020, 02:40 AM   #10
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Only my smartphone from Razor used USB-C and so I bought few adaptors from B to C just to save to change several cords just for one purpose.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 09:12 AM   #11
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Great for travel, both my laptop and phone use usb-c so I only take 1 power adapter now.
Appreciate 0